Skip to content

Should BG3 be as big as games like Skyrim

Content wise, I know BG has more than skyrim, especially when it comes to unique items and character designs, but with the new age of HD programming can it be done again? Do you want a game bigger than Skyrim for BG3, bigger than BG2? I ask this as obviously these remasters are just the beginning of a new BG Saga that will have a whole new story and maybe even locations.

Comments

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    So you want it to be more like Icewind that came afterwards, fantastic narrative with some openness?
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Hmmm. A good story obviously is best, however I really enjoyed the aspect of BG1 that the world was wide open. You can go meet Khalid and Jaheira... or you can head south to High Hedge, fight gnolls and skeletons, then go west and battle sirens and carrion crawlers and ogres. You can wander the wilderness, become a hero of the wastes and a delver of unknown caves, and even finish Durlag's Tower without setting foot in the Nashkel Mines or the Friendly Arm Inn. I really enjoy the freedom and open space of BG1, if you could have a world that is both expansive and well-written, I'd appreciate that.
    wariisop

Hmmm. A good story obviously is best, however I really enjoyed the aspect of BG1 that the world was wide open. You can go meet Khalid and Jaheira... or you can head south to High Hedge, fight gnolls and skeletons, then go west and battle sirens and carrion crawlers and ogres. You can wander the wilderness, become a hero of the wastes and a delver of unknown caves, and even finish Durlag's Tower without setting foot in the Nashkel Mines or the Friendly Arm Inn. I really enjoy the freedom and open space of BG1, if you could have a world that is both expansive and well-written, I'd appreciate that.

^This was the aspect I missed in BG2, the open world, not knowing where to go first choices. I found BG2 significantly more limiting. Though, I must say IWD handled that same limiting effect much better, but maybe that is because of the region and setting.
    nano
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    edited October 2013
    My opinion:

I disagree that Baldur's Gate has the content of Skyrim. Skyrim is pretty damn big. But there's a difference between quantity and quality, and you simply can't do both. Not out of developer laziness or lack of imagination, but because if you filled a game as big as Skyrim with content as dense as BGs, it would feel too artificial. In a world with 500 dungeons, it would start to feel a bit contrived and just plain silly if every single one of them was firmly linked to a unique quest with a well-written story-line and interesting NPCs. In a world with 5 dungeons, it wouldn't. If your primary purpose is to tell a story, you shouldn't dilute it with a massive, endless world. If you want people to enjoy a massive, endless world, don't distract them with too much story.

(Incidentally: I love both games!)
    Post edited by Tetraploid on
    AristilliusWilbur
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    A good game doesn't have to be the center of attention of the gaming industry. As long as it is a good game that's all that matters no matters.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited October 2013
    A thuume (or shout)...

I would prefer it to be more like dragon age 1. DA1 captured the spirit of the icometric games better than most modern RPGs.

Edit: not literally, but spiritually
    DrHappyAngry
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Liked the openness of bg1 over the few areas of bg2. I would be perfectly happy if bg3 was an isometric game with the same graphics level as bg1, but I'd also be fine if it was more like skyrim, as long as the plot and characters are well written, and the world is interesting.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I personally would like the game to be as big as it needs to be and no larger. There are a number of current titles that are "Bigger" simply so that they can market that they are Bigger. For my money, spend more time/effort on excellent story and game play. The rest will follow. BG1 is a good size. BG2 is larger, but not unnecessarily so. TOB was much smaller and it suffered for it, but that doesn't mean that they have to artificially increase the size beyond the function of the game/story.

If the OP is asking if we need to have a 3D engine for BG3, I'd vote NO! Keep the game more or less in the form that it's predecessors are in. No need to change that. I'd also vote that the rules system remain the same. A paint job would be nice, but really more content including a whole new story line, new NPCs, magic items and all of that would be perfect in my mind.

No need to reinvent the game simply to pander to the current generation of casual gamers. That becomes more effort than necessary and would probably result in a less satisfying game for the core audience. All in my opinion.
    Tome
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I'd love to say a lot of things about my expectations of BG3, but for now, my only expectation is that i want to see it happen.

It seems so far away at this point though.
    I do not support 3D for Baldur's Gate, at most I would say the graphics of Dungeon Seige III are enough with a little more definitions on the environments. I do agree that BG 1 felt empty at times but what I meant by the openness was the choice of going to different maps instead of a planned out one. To explore and not be led, this is where BG2 felt less like a D&D adventure and more like a dungeon crawler like Diablo.
    wariisop said:

I do not support 3D for Baldur's Gate, at most I would say the graphics of Dungeon Seige III are enough with a little more definitions on the environments. I do agree that BG 1 felt empty at times but what I meant by the openness was the choice of going to different maps instead of a planned out one. To explore and not be led, this is where BG2 felt less like a D&D adventure and more like a dungeon crawler like Diablo.

Indeed, I want a world, not a plot train. BG1 has a definite sequence of main story events that feels MUCH tighter than, say, Fallout 3 or Oblivion but it manages to have the feel of a world about it. If it had more banter I'm sure it would feel less empty.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, BG2 seems like more of a railroad than BG1. I can forgive that though for the sake of the story. And I like the feeling it created of having definite goals rather than "well, every other place is blocked off so I guess I'm going this way".
    XerxesV
    I like everything I've seen about project eternity so far. The videos of the in game stuff are what bg3 should be just like.
    badbromanceMarekksunset00
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Wait.

No one wants BG3 to be more like Pong?

I just don't know what you people want anymore...

:)
    CoryNewbEudaemoniumLordRumfish
    Dee said:

Wait.

I just don't know what you people want anymore...

BG3 = Pong 2

Mind = Blown
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    How about something in between the two.

Have each chapter its own mini world or city that the PC explores. Start off in the sword coast, head to Chult or the Dales, then to Calimport and then back to the Sword's Coast for a grand finale. Have each "chapter" and level teaming with stories and quests with a XP cap per area to prevent low level farming.
    @deltago That sounds pretty cool. By its very nature though, the game prevents low-level farming pretty well. I don't have the patience to kill 10,000 xvarts unless you line them all up for me at the same time.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    CoryNewb said:

A thuume (or shout)...

I would prefer it to be more like dragon age 1. DA1 captured the spirit of the icometric games better than most modern RPGs.

Edit: not literally, but spiritually

Ya, they really did a great job keeping the option of isometric, but still had a pretty 3d engine. I loved that I could follow my main character, and then pan back out into isometric and issue orders old school style. You could really jump smoothly between the 2, and if you didn't like one you could just ignore it. I could support something similar to that.

I think this thread kind of highlights the major difference between Bethesda and Bioware's RPGs. Bioware's tend to be much more focused on characters and dialog, whereas Bethesda's are a bit more actiony, wandering the world type games. I do love both, but it wouldn't be Baldur's gate if it didn't have the great characters, banter and story. There is a degree of all those traits in both their games, it's just they have greater focus in different areas. Plus, Bethesda games feel like you're being talked at, rather than talking with the NPCs.
    jackjacksunset00
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2013
    I don't think having a wide-open world and having a great story are mutually exclusive.

I actually find neither BG game to have a heavy emphasis on story. Both games have simple and straightforward plots, with only one major reveal taking place in each game. In spite of this lack of complexity, both stories were highly effective. And I think the reason why is obvious: both storylines were driven by awesome and unforgettable NPCs.

That said, I think the most important thing about BG3 would be to create a lot of dynamic, attractive and thought-provoking characters with which fans can interact. To me, a world populated by interesting characters is a lot more fun to explore....even if it is a little smaller.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    Being Specific: I want BG3 to be Isometric (just like bg1 and 2) . I dont want the camera to move, they should spend time doing other stuff).Backgrounds should be drawn (like bg1 and 2) I want a 6 group team (possible, not a must) . Animations completely redone, tons of new mobs.

Why do i not want the camera to move? Because the isometric angle being fixed means the drawing has only to be done once, the battles dont have to be thought from the point of view of what angle is less confusing. And i like to look at bg2 more than i like to look at DA. I think a good drawing doesnt get old through the years the same way polygons do (because polygons will keep getting better and better).

The fact that you can create scenarios in such a way makes the creating time focussed on content and not on looks... im all about that, and i think thats the reason its BG that is being enhanced and not other games.

From skyrim: I would copy the npcs moving and going around depending on the time of the day. I would not copy the whole enchanting, smithing, tanning. Cool magic items must be found, not made imho.

Lastly and just to be annoying with programmers: Environment can be destroyed!
    JuliusBorisov
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

@deltago That sounds pretty cool. By its very nature though, the game prevents low-level farming pretty well. I don't have the patience to kill 10,000 xvarts unless you line them all up for me at the same time.

Imagine having to click on all those single pieces of gold. I'm impatient but I'm also too greedy to leave any gold behind.
    LordRumfishThe_Guilty_PartyDelvarian
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Skyrim is very open and expansive, giving the player the option to do whatever he wants... to the point where none of it seemed interesting so that I quit the game after 2 hours.
    jackjack
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2013
    You know, I could picture Skyrim being done in BG style. Big maps to explore and random dungeons and lots of running around. I'd buy it, and I'd probably find it pretty fun.

But it wouldn't be BG. In the end, I find I love games for the story and the characters, and that's what I associate with the BG series, and what I'd want them to continue as.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Dee said:

Wait.

I can see it now. The Player Character is an obese (almost spherical) albino whose task is to endlessly run messages between two flat, bone-pale magical cities that ceaselessly move across a dark plain. Miscalculating your trajectory will leave you tumbling through an endless void.

Baldur's Gate 3: Please insert coin
    Eudaemoniumonansunset00
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Corvino said:

Dee said:

Wait.

I can see it now. The Player Character is an obese (almost spherical) albino whose task is to endlessly run messages between two flat, bone-pale magical cities that ceaselessly move across a dark plain. Miscalculating your trajectory will leave you tumbling through an endless void.

Baldur's Gate 3: Please insert coin
    Hey that's a story by Borges! Or not.

• DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Well, Pong does center around hitting little bhaals around.
    FinneousPJCorvinoJLeeMessi
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Felspawn said:

no, i want a good narrative and if the game is too wide open it limits what you can do in terms of telling a story.

Totally disagree. I want an open world, massive landscapes that you can get lost in. Side quests, wondering mosters, random encounters. Have a main plot, but dont try and her me along like mindless cattle
    SchneidendJuliusBorisov
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I certainly want more dungeons and wilderness areas. That's my problem with BG1, plenty of wilderness, but not enough cool dungeons. Even Firewine and Ulcaster are both mazes!
    Silencejackjack