Skip to content

Should BG3 be as big as games like Skyrim

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Personally I much prefer BG2 to BG1. I find traipsing around the wilderness to be a chore and would rather have the much more focused areas of BG2.
    Illustair
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I do like a bit of focus. One of my favorite bits about DA2 was being focused on making your way in Kirkwall and the surrounding countryside. You could wander around the coast and the mountains, sure, but they were more concentrated because you had reasons to be there. I always feel metagamey just scanning the entirety of an area in BG1.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    karnor00 said:

Personally I much prefer BG2 to BG1. I find traipsing around the wilderness to be a chore and would rather have the much more focused areas of BG2.

That's your choice though. If you want to focus on the story in BG1, you don't have to go very far off the beaten path. You might check out Durlag's Tower since it has a running narrative, but otherwise you just go through the chapters and maintain your focus without getting sidetracked. Much like in Oblivion or Skyrim, the getting-sidetracked part is something you control.

For me, the game world is more believable when it is less focused. It may not be your cup of tea, but I like a game world that feels like it exists for reasons other than your CHARNAME and his/her mission. The feeling of discovery is also one I enjoy about BG1, even now I can't keep the details of every zone straight in my head. Perhaps we'll agree to disagree on this point.
    Lateralussunset00
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    As already mentioned above you can't have both quantity and quality. Larger areas means more copy/paste.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I felt that Baldur's Gate 2 (and to a lesser extent the ToTSC expansion) did a much better job of creating dungeons and making them worthwhile. I avoid Firewine like the plague as it's too cramped and the rewards are not worth it. Durlag's Tower and BG2 made sure that going dungeon-delving was tense and richly rewarded, as opposed to you finding one of the best helms in the game on some random Ogre Mage with a pet Nereid.

I have no problem with wilderness areas, and do enjoy them. I can also see that a lot of random bandit leaders are going to have +1 swords, but putting items as powerful as the gauntlets of weapon expertise in the hands of some random swordsman in the middle of nowhere who you have to be a bit of a jerk to fight anyway doesn't make sense to me.

It would be best to see a balance between some wilderness areas of low-intermediate difficulty and tougher, focused dungeons. From my point of view it'd prefer the balance to lie toward the BG2 end of this spectrum though as I prefer SOA/TOB.
    SchneidendJuliusBorisov
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    You guys know the new area that overhaul made for neeras quest with the goblins and such? I want it to be like that x40 hours. I think they did a nice job with the art.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    deltago said:

How about something in between the two.

Have each chapter its own mini world or city that the PC explores. Start off in the sword coast, head to Chult or the Dales, then to Calimport and then back to the Sword's Coast for a grand finale. Have each "chapter" and level teaming with stories and quests with a XP cap per area to prevent low level farming.

You mean like Diablo 2?

Eudaemonium
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I actually like having some empty areas. It's middle of the wilderness, of course it's not going to be full of NPCs with quests. I loved Ulcaster because it was just a vast canyon of nothing. It really makes you feel like you're far from home and civilization.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

How about something in between the two.

Have each chapter its own mini world or city that the PC explores. Start off in the sword coast, head to Chult or the Dales, then to Calimport and then back to the Sword's Coast for a grand finale. Have each "chapter" and level teaming with stories and quests with a XP cap per area to prevent low level farming.

You mean like Diablo 2?

With a better, less linear story sure.
    sunset00
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206

Relevant to the discussion. "It is quality of wit, not quantity, that matters." Or in this case, 'It is quality of content, not quantity" that matters, although with modern technology, significant quantity is also expected alongside quality.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163

Relevant to the discussion. "It is quality of wit, not quantity, that matters." Or in this case, 'It is quality of content, not quantity" that matters, although with modern technology, significant quantity is also expected alongside quality.

^Man I love Roman history, they were so much smarter with government than we are today.
    nano said:

I actually like having some empty areas. It's middle of the wilderness, of course it's not going to be full of NPCs with quests. I loved Ulcaster because it was just a vast canyon of nothing. It really makes you feel like you're far from home and civilization.

For me it's not the emptiness or lack thereof, but the fact that I generally have no reason to be out there combing the whole forest/canyon/etc.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    How about both a good narrative /story AND a big world like Skyrim?

The big world part is immensely difficult / resource-demanding but Skyrim did it, they just didn't implement a good story / character life / development (which is much easier)

nano said:

For me it's not the emptiness or lack thereof, but the fact that I generally have no reason to be out there combing the whole forest/canyon/etc.
    Well then don't go! Combing the forest/canyon is a bizarre thing to do anyways, unless you think there's something to find. Most people don't travel out there because there's nothing of value, so there's not really any reason for an adventurer to go either. Unless they heard a rumor about ruins or an ancient artifact or something...
    nano said:

Well then don't go! Combing the forest/canyon is a bizarre thing to do anyways, unless you think there's something to find. Most people don't travel out there because there's nothing of value, so there's not really any reason for an adventurer to go either. Unless they heard a rumor about ruins or an ancient artifact or something...

That's the problem. BG1 put a lot of the best items out in the wilderness, with little or no motivation or in-game info to let you know they were there.

nano said:

That's the problem. BG1 put a lot of the best items out in the wilderness, with little or no motivation or in-game info to let you know they were there.
    But it's also quite winnable without them. It's a bonus if you do happen to go out there and come across them, but you don't need to have all the best gear to finish the game even if it's your first time playing. I'm not even sure which items you're referring to - the gauntlets of weapon expertise?
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    I don't know what you guys have planned for 3, but here is what I would like to see:

The game start in a world of linear content with little resources the feeling of helplessness and doom around every corner. Where your praying for a town or merchant in the next area because you need supply and your inventory has been full forever a almost torturous path where there is no choice but to carry on. Leading through many engaging encounters for a chance to taste freedom and fresh air once again.

After many hurdles opening to an open world bright, beautiful, and deadly. Where who or what we once thought would be our salvation we realize is much darker than we hoped leading us to the beginning of our end.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    edited November 2013
    ^ So you just want BG3 to be the same as BG2? You have just described BG2

I don't know what you guys have planned for 3, but here is what I would like to see:

The game start in a world of linear content with little resources the feeling of helplessness and doom around every corner. Where your praying for a town or merchant in the next area because you need supply and your inventory has been full forever a almost torturous path where there is no choice but to carry on. Leading through many engaging encounters for a chance to taste freedom and fresh air once again.

Translation: Irenicus's Dungeon

After many hurdles opening to an open world bright, beautiful, and deadly. Where who or what we once thought would be our salvation we realize is much darker than we hoped leading us to the beginning of our end.

Translation: Wakeen's Promenade

Makes sense.
    KolonKu
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    Lol I have not played bg 2 I was just shooting in the dark I have a little bit of knowledge of what happens in bg 2 from what I have seen on the forums and through the wiki of what was going to be bg3.

I would be disappointed if I started the game powerful despite what I know of the ending of 2. There has to be something to bring balance physical or metaphysical. This is how all adventures start weakness to greatness unless you are somehow your own enemy. So really its just left up to the tools and settings the writers choose to use. Of course since there are large holes in the story for me I am speaking out of ignorance, but was really just using a very vague exposition so to speak that could be used to manipulate our point of view making small/med world seem large; giving everyone one on this forum what they asked for more or less.
    edited November 2013
    nano said:

But it's also quite winnable without them. It's a bonus if you do happen to go out there and come across them, but you don't need to have all the best gear to finish the game even if it's your first time playing. I'm not even sure which items you're referring to - the gauntlets of weapon expertise?

I don't care if the game is winnable without them. My point is that I want to hear about them or their wearers or the dungeons they're in so I have a reason to go look for them. Like I said, I feel ridiculous combing the wilderness, but at this point I know it's the only way to find a +1 greatsword, the Helm of Defense, etc. Skyrim handled this really well. There's always some reason to go some place. You can hear about it in a tavern, from the Jarl, or it will be part of a quest, or whatever.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    @Schneidend That wouldn't be difficult to add, you can already hear rumors in taverns, just add more of them.
    Schneidend
    edited November 2013
    Yeah exactly, the rumor system could use some love and this way we can still have wilderness areas that aren't crammed with stuff. But I don't think every item should have an associated quest. Some items are hidden by their owners and it's a bit much to expect that they'll spill the beans just because you're drinking in the same bar. Some are lost to time and no one has any idea where they are, etc.

My point, anyways, was not about the lack of quests but about the density of stuff in the wilderness. Like I said, it's the wilderness, it's not going to be chock-full of loot and NPCs.
    And I don't want it to be. But, what I do want is a reason to be there. And, no, I'm not saying every hidden item should be known, but if there's a guy in town who used to be an adventurer and is hiding Stupifier in his room, maybe the bartender could let me know he used to be an adventurer.
    KolonKu
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    TBH, BG3 needs to be big to match BG2's glory, something where you'll always find something new everytime you clear the game..

As far as wilderness areas go, I thought bg1 random areas sucked quite a bit compared to the random things you could find in BG2's city. Most of BG1 random areas were pretty devoid of much content, maybe one or two noticable things, other than that i felt like i was running around the map trying to remove all the unseen terrain in hope i stumble on something.

And I don't want it to be. But, what I do want is a reason to be there. And, no, I'm not saying every hidden item should be known, but if there's a guy in town who used to be an adventurer and is hiding Stupifier in his room, maybe the bartender could let me know he used to be an adventurer.

Oh, I definitely agree. Actually, I'm not sure how I feel about powerful items just hidden in inns like that. Like, maybe there should be an option for acquiring it besides ransacking everyone's room? Stealing it should have repercussions - I know if someone stole Stupefier from me I'd be out there, hunting them down.
    Drayen said:

TBH, BG3 needs to be big to match BG2's glory, something where you'll always find something new everytime you clear the game..

As far as wilderness areas go, I thought bg1 random areas sucked quite a bit compared to the random things you could find in BG2's city. Most of BG1 random areas were pretty devoid of much content, maybe one or two noticable things, other than that i felt like i was running around the map trying to remove all the unseen terrain in hope i stumble on something.

Well, my view on this is that you shouldn't be running around out there randomly, trying to clear the whole map. You're an adventurer and you should have some goals beyond scavenging for scraps in the trackless wasteland. If you head out into the wide world it's because you have a quest in mind, or maybe you need to hide out for a bit because you committed a crime in town, or something like that.
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Bg shouldn't be like skyrim...
    Or this happens.....
    FinneousPJ
    jamesker said:

Bg shouldn't be like skyrim...
    Or this happens.....

Given that you have the image it kinda seems like it already happened.

• 4verse4verse Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2013
    I'd like a sandbox-RPG BG3 as big as ever possible. think terraria with story, isometric view etc. (maybe even random world? dont know if that is even possible, though)
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    Should Skyrim Online be an isometric game with closed areas?