Skip to content

Any way to uninstall v1.2?

2»

Comments

• RellinRellin Member Posts: 28
    Funny thread. Would read again. Err, no.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @Hatu, I am curious to know what your monitor size is or if you are playing in a window mode. At full screen for me, there is over an inch on each side of the text window of extra world I can see, not a small narrow strip.
    Also you can make the text window one line high, which expands when you begin to converse with a NPC. This takes up less space on the game window.

I do agree that some bright backgrounds make it difficult to read the text. Perhaps an option in the slowly filling "graphics option" to choose the percentage of opaqueness of the text window.
  • HatuHatu Member Posts: 10
    deltago said:

@Hatu, I am curious to know what your monitor size is or if you are playing in a window mode. At full screen for me, there is over an inch on each side of the text window of extra world I can see, not a small narrow strip.
    Also you can make the text window one line high, which expands when you begin to converse with a NPC. This takes up less space on the game window.

I do agree that some bright backgrounds make it difficult to read the text. Perhaps an option in the slowly filling "graphics option" to choose the percentage of opaqueness of the text window.

I have a 20-odd inch monitor, and I do play in full screen mode; it's difficult to pan the world screen otherwise. So there is room alongside the text window, but I consider a 1.5" gap to be narrow.

Yes, I could shrink the text window, but then I can't read the text. So that's not helpful. We might someday get an opacity setting, I suppose, but at that point what is the benefit of having the new transparent text window in the first place? Under the old UI, I could have a completely opaque text window and a completely unobstructed view of the world. I'm not going to be satisfied with getting - at best - one of those two perks back.

-H
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited November 2013
    Hatu said:

Under the old UI, I could have a completely opaque text window and a completely unobstructed view of the world. I'm not going to be satisfied with getting - at best - one of those two perks back.

-H

@Hatu having read your complaints it seems you're the only player who has these kind of problems, at least the only one on the forums so I dare to say that the probability of the Overhaul team adding such feature is less then 1%.

Conclusion? I think you're better off feeling less annoyed about it because it's gonna stay the same for the eterinity :D
    Fredjo said:

@Hatu having read your complaints it seems you're the only player who has these kind of problems, at least the only one on the forums so I dare to say that the probability of the Overhaul team adding such feature is less then 1%.

Conclusion? I think you're better off feeling less annoyed about it because it's gonna stay the same for the eterinity :D

I certainly hope not. Can anyone explain any actual benefit to having part of the game world obscured?

-H
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,195
    The benefit is that you see much more of the world. In vanilla BG1, the GUI had no empty space that went wasted, with BG2 and changing resolutions option we got vast spaces of unused GUI and now we finally got rid of that. That's benefit for me, I'm sorry it isn't for you.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Hatu said:

I certainly hope not. Can anyone explain any actual benefit to having part of the game world obscured?

-H

Please check the comparison screenshots in this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21601/post-your-favorite-screenshot/p4 thread. They are taken from the exact same position, and you can clearly see that the 1.2 UI isn't obscuring anything. In fact it shows significantly more of the game world than was the case previously.
    Messi said:

Please check the comparison screenshots in this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21601/post-your-favorite-screenshot/p4 thread. They are taken from the exact same position, and you can clearly see that the 1.2 UI isn't obscuring anything. In fact it shows significantly more of the game world than was the case previously.

Odd example, since the new UI doesn't give much of an advantage: the "extra" space is black space that you didn't need to see in the first place. But I suppose that's necessary, since a bright background would make the text hard to read.

I really do not understand this obsession with removing "dead space." Even if they eventually make the text box fully opaque, I'd still prefer dead space to having various UI elements jut out into the world view. It makes the screen seem cluttered that way.

But I'm clearly in the minority on that one. I'd be willing to settle for making the text window opaque. (At least on this issue. I'd still like changes to the font size/sharpness, and icon issues as well).

-H
  • XenoforgeXenoforge Member Posts: 1
    I too, quite dislike the new UI. The default was great, and this a terrible design decision, imo. I find most of it VERY distracting.

Why not have options in-game for this? It's more than a little naive to think everyone's going to be ok with a design change like this.

Don't always leave it up to the modders to fix these things, guys.