Skip to content

Game Update: v1.2.0

Comments

• NoxarNoxar Member Posts: 21
    Well as a fellow steam user i don't really give a damn, few days more to wait is not much in exchange for the game to be working properly, allso @Dee - you are my hero, sir ;)
  • BhaalSpawndBhaalSpawnd Member Posts: 12
    @Varwulf
    Wait, who is looking at this from only one perspective? Don't try to claim some bullsh!t moral high ground here just because you bought the game through Beamdog. I remember when I was deciding where to buy I had read a lot of people complaining about the beamdog client on this forum but I don't think any of us could have predicted just how messed up this Atari/Beamdog relationship was a year ago when BG:EE was released. Also, like any publisher/developer relationship I'm sure that some money from every Steam copy goes towards Beamdog so it's not as if we're freeloaders from some alternate dimension. Furthermore, one side of this whole issue, Atari, is completely radio silent and the only people that could actual break their silence or shed some light on what is going on are at Beamdog. You're not going to convince any steam users that their grievances aren't well deserved, so why are you even in this thread?

@Darrenkuo
    I'm pretty sure Beamdog isn't Foxconn in this scenario... This is more like how Apple sells their phones directly in their stores and through other distributors so in this case wouldn't Beamdog be Apple and Atari be Verizon or some equivalent?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's a bit of grand-standing going on; I'd like to remind everyone to read the SITE RULES, particularly the bits about being respectful of others.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I foresee this thread being closed soon now...
    @Varwulf
    When I step in, that means the argument is over. I deleted your comment; please, let's try to keep the thread on topic.
    @Dee My apologies for the part I played.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited November 2013
    stevecat said:

Nvm, it's all good. Turns out that was my steam copy running lol

Just a warning, the saves might be not backward compatible. Loading a game from 1.2 into steam version then saving it and reloading it in the new beamdog version may cause problems.
    It is enough trouble to make saves forward compatible. Backward compatible was never a goal!

• JoltJolt Member Posts: 6
    SBOG4215 said:

The amount of bitching going on over this steam issue amazes me. We're talking about $20. That's a cinema outing or a night out for dinner. If you're so angry and impatient over the waiting, just buy the damn game again from Beamdog and be done with it. Yes it sucks, and woo is you, but the money is going to a good cause (further patches, potentially BG3). Spending $20 to allow yourself to enjoy a great game and to be done with atari's bs seems like a pretty good investment to me.

Many people cant buy at Beamdog because they have no credit card, and beamdog just sell bg if you have one, even if you pay with paypal. i want to buy a beamdog version, but i cant do that.. and yes, that frustrated me.
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    yay! :) thx
  • lycanraviolilycanravioli Member Posts: 9
    ....or make like the elves and take the loooong view. Call me cynical, but if Beamdog is successful enough to make BG3 one day - I'll be very happy, not least because it will probably give them standing enough to (hopefully) take over the Steam distribution of their own games :P In the meantime, as a Steam user I'm happy to wait and read about the people already having fun with the 1.2 patch. Honestly, they took a chance buying it on Beamdog direct and are being rewarded accordingly.
    WOOO!! So looking forward to playing! :D
  • XathosXathos Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    Cerevant said:

#BGEE Patch 1.2 is coming to Steam fairly soon - we're getting everything set up for that today.

— Phillip Daigle (@daigledopple) November 5, 2013

The hell is going on? Didn't we just have 10 pages of this thread, and communications from developers, full of "Beamdog has no control over the Steam release, it's been given to them, and Atari handles that", but yet, we have a producer over at Beamdog saying they are getting things set up for the Steam release. At very least, this is a unintentional misleading tweet, at the worst, a blame game is going on with nobody accepting responsibility for the Steam release. Some clarification would be nice. I'm already hesitant on spending money on BGII if the patching process is going to be like this here on out because I decide to use a service I've used for years vs. something unfamiliar to me.

Post edited by Xathos on
  • robbo007robbo007 Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2013
    I'll finally buy the game from the Appstore :)
  • mirceapuimirceapui Member Posts: 26
    I don't understand. Why it's so hard for Atari to approve this patch for Steam? All they had to say is YES or AGREED or something. Right?
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Xathos said:

The hell is going on? Didn't we just have 10 pages of this thread, and communications from developers, full of "Beamdog has no control over the Steam release, it's been given to them, and Atari handles that",

Things change sometimes. Not always, and not always as fast as we'd like, but sometimes.

Note: I'm not sure this is one of them. I've no idea what's going on with Steam. But we were unable to work on BG for awhile earlier this year, some people talked to some other people, and eventually we got to start up again. It's possible something similar has happened here.
  • AkachiAkachi Member Posts: 38
    I think it may be something like:

1. Beamdog creates the patch. It goes live through their client.
    2. Steam version has to go through Atari, because they are the publishers there. Atari takes a week to even look at it. Why? "F**k you that's why"
    3. Beamdog gets green light, uploads to Steam.
    ( Well someone has to do it, and it's definitely not going to be Steve the Intern, only one left in Atari offices ;) )

• SchnitzelSchnitzel Member Posts: 17

Schnitzel said:

Soooo Android by any chance?

There's an Android forum already available where you can ask your questions and get your answers too.

Wow thanks for showing middle finger. You know because android section of forum is dead.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Schnitzel Still there is an answer to your question. The same that was given somewhere within this discussion.
  • VII_outLawVII_outLaw Member Posts: 46
    Atari must awaken !!!
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    In the name of Mystra, WHY is this thread still talking about Atari and it's lack of patch release? Lol can't we all talk about how much we enjoy this new patch with it's new bright UI and wonderful new font, and Imoen's cool colors, and the fact that Kit mods aren't properly working?! Goodness I really am not trying to start some type of argument or anything, but pretty much anything you can possibly find out about Atari releasing this new patch is ALREADY in this particular thread. I feel kinda bad that anyone wanting to read the 9 pages about the release of this new patch are only going to read grievances about it NOT being released on Atari.......

Although I suppose now that I think about it, that might be somewhat useful for people who are using the steam version...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Xavioria said:

In the name of Mystra, WHY is this thread still talking about Atari and it's lack of patch release? Lol can't we all talk about how much we enjoy this new patch with it's new bright UI and wonderful new font, and Imoen's cool colors, and the fact that Kit mods aren't properly working?! Goodness I really am not trying to start some type of argument or anything, but pretty much anything you can possibly find out about Atari releasing this new patch is ALREADY in this particular thread. I feel kinda bad that anyone wanting to read the 9 pages about the release of this new patch are only going to read grievances about it NOT being released on Atari.......

Although I suppose now that I think about it, that might be somewhat useful for people who are using the steam version...

Well it basically moves in waves. We seem to hit a lull and then suddenly someone else turns up and asks the Steam question again and the whole place just goes to the demonweb pits.
  • komonokomono Member Posts: 19
    So wait, that means you guys have control over steam version now somehow?
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    Xavioria said:

Probably because some of us aren't able to enjoy the new patch yet. It'll all calm down once the game gets updated across all platforms. Until that happens you should just accept the situation as it is.

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Any chance for a reset install button for the client? Cos my actual game is a mess of previous installed mods with the 1.2.0 update.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2013
    I just got an email notification about v1.2 being released fyi, so maybe it is worth steam users checking again
    @kamuizin

For the Beamdog client:

Open up Program Files\Beamdog\Games\ and locate 00766.beam and 00766.status. Delete both of these files, and then restart the client. It will prompt you to update the game, which will clear your override folder in the process.

For the stand-alone launcher:

Click on the red diamond-shaped button in the bottom-right corner of the window, and select "Repair Installation". That will do the same thing.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    What does "improved interaction" mean?

And is this patch live w/ the Steam version?

And does that junk for modders mean anything to anyone? Might it hasten the modification of NPC Project, or other BG1 mods that haven't been ported to work with EE yet?
  • SBOG4215SBOG4215 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    revanbh said:

It's not the amount that matters. Honestly, even when I pay €1 for something I demand that it performs up to standards advertised. In other words, I value the service provided and the money I buy it with. Nobody gives me money. I earn it the same way Beamdog, Atari and every other company does, buy providing something to someone. You'll get the gist of it...once you start earning your own.

From someone who is quite savy with their money, I completely understand where you are coming from, but I'm simply stating that from a maximum utility perspective, you may be better off just paying the money (if you can, see below) to end the uncertainty / angst / frustration and to finally enjoy the game. You only live once, so make the most of it, spend a bit more money if you need to, and be happy that the money is going to a great cause (hours and hours of Baldur's Gate!) =) In any case, I feel like we have both expressed our points so I won't be discussing this topic further.
    Jolt said:

Many people cant buy at Beamdog because they have no credit card, and beamdog just sell bg if you have one, even if you pay with paypal. i want to buy a beamdog version, but i cant do that.. and yes, that frustrated me.

Understandable. I hadn't thought of this. All I can say is hang in there buddy!

Back on topic, apart from the occasional minor path issues, everything is running nicely so far! Huge thanks to Beamdog and the beta testers for putting in the massive hours to allow us to relive this gem of a game. It is much appreciated =)

• XathosXathos Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2013

Things change sometimes. Not always, and not always as fast as we'd like, but sometimes.

Note: I'm not sure this is one of them. I've no idea what's going on with Steam. But we were unable to work on BG for awhile earlier this year, some people talked to some other people, and eventually we got to start up again. It's possible something similar has happened here.

I know about the blockage. I saw plenty of coverage over it. I still don't fully understand how Atari could get away with what they did. All the legalese was done well ahead of game development. Even then, the original publisher was Interplay, who's owned by Bethesda. I'd think they'd have more of a claim than Atari. Even if Atari (still) owns the license to D&D game production, how can Cryptic still be working on the Neverwinter MMO even after it got sold off to Perfect World? Atari isn't associated with that in any form, and last I checked, they haven't threatened legal action against them. Unless they gave Beamdog money to help make this game, they don't deserve any credit.

Regardless, fuck Atari. They haven't done anything productive with the D&D license since Storm of Zehir.

I'm trying to figure out, in all of this maelstrom, an idea of when I'll get my patch. If this was just an incremental patch, I wouldn't really complain, but this is the biggest post release content for BG:EE. In this case, I care a lot.

Before that tweet went out, I was under the impression that we were waiting on the QA process of Atari. If so, that was fine. I'd give it 5 business days before I'd really complain, but people who claim not to be responsible for Steam distribution, are claiming (some form of) responsibility now.

I love D8D. I love the game. I also will kill to see a remake of Icewind Dale (especially 2), but whoever is OBLIGATED for handling support for this game needs to get their house in order. Once I know this is settled, and won't be a continual issue, I'll gladly throw money at Beamdog. There is no reason why I should be punished for purchasing this off of Steam.
This discussion has been closed.