Skip to content

Classic Baldur's Gate experiences we all had

These memories related to Baldur's Gate and/or real life which you think will sound very familiar to many of us..

I will start:

Quicksaving+autosaving over my brothers' 4 hour run and getting the crap beat out of me..

Realizing only after three (painful) playthroughs that the attribute points to divide on CHARNAME are not always the same in total and that you can actually reroll.

Playing through all your youth thinking that Charisma is arguably the most important attribute.

Concluding (too late) that - despite his badass sword - Xan is not a champion in melee.
IllustairAristilliusScooterJuliusBorisovStarflower2525sunset00NecomancerWolkDiselinlolienTuthkaguanaenqenq

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    IkMarc said:

Concluding (too late) that - despite his badass sword - Xan is not a champion in melee.

But it's on fire! Blue fire! How can he not kick ass? Urgh. Broken game obviously.

And we've all of course encountered this, over and over, having started new games and characters, over and over.
    IkMarcWolkDiselin
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    Gorion just cast a bunch of spells and now pulls out a little dagger against an armored warrior?

Getting poisoned to death by spiders in Beregost.

Web traps

Weapon is ineffective... uh oh, I don't have any magic weapons.

My party got confused/charmed and killed each other
    WillyML4Starflower2525Diselin
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    "Up yours, you uppity bald virgin."
    Demonoid_LimewireDiselinTuth
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

"You have been waylayed by enemies and must defend yourself!"

Bandit archers when trying to enter FAI for the first time with your 7 hitpoints bard, Xzar and Montaron. :|

Good times. They don't make games like this anymore, but I'm sure glad they enhance/overhaul them.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I was on the other side of the OPs problem. My little brother would play and save over all my saves. I very often wanted to pound him. To this day I blame him for my taking so long to finish this game.
    sunset00Wolk
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    My little brother was largely uninterested in playing Baldur's Gate. I think it had too many words for him to be bothered. Thus I never shared either of these save overwriting issues XD.
    KidCarnival
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    This didn't happen to me, but my it took me so long to explain to my little brother that your portrait did not decide your class. He though to be a Mage you had to choose Edwin's portrait at the beginning, and to be a fighter you had to choose Khalid's.
    sunset00Wolkkaguana
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    First time i have casted a lightning bolt in clockwood mines at the end of chapter.... I'm still ashamed of this
    Drugarsunset00
  • chaosapiantchaosapiant Member Posts: 32
    First encounter with basilisks. And sirines. I hate both of them so much, to this day, even though I know how to handle them.
    Delvarian
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've gone on shamefully long journeys without realizing my warrior had broken his sword.

For the first ~5 years of playing it, I only ever played BG1 with a good PC and Imoen/Khalid/Jaheira/Minsc/Dynaheir. I was too scared to branch out. Never even found Monty/Xzar, since I would always head straight to the map's edge rather than following the path.

In SoA, which I played without having beaten BG1, I couldn't figure out how to bypass mage's protections. My fights against mages were zero-strategy faceroll-fests, reloading ad nauseum until I got good enough rolls to kill them despite never piercing their protections. It was shameful. I couldn't ever get far into the game until I adopted a strategy of taking Keldorn along and just carpet-bombing every caster I saw with double-strength dispels until they died.
    nemiafalasunset00Empyrial
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Hitting the exp cap half way to the game in vanilla after farming monsters at some point. I felt almost cheated.
  • RangerRanger Member Posts: 10
    I was rather naive when I first played the game. I had no understanding of Dungeons and Dragons and the concept of weapon proficiencies and ability scores were beyond me. My day was generally ruined by my first encounter with a wolf.

It was a steep learning curve for me, but it's been a game that's stuck with me over the years and I learn something new all the time.
    rexregsunset00JenzafarTuth
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    I was sadly disappointed with my first bg1 run. I didn't play much computer back then, and had just finished BG 2.
    I guess I just wanted to much from it, it just felt like half the game bg 2 was, no kits "boring npc's" 640x480 res. all was just....meh... not bad, but i wanted more.
    both were vanilla CD installs with no patches. or mods.
    Effiny
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Being wolf food. Again... and again... and again...
    Tuth
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Being killed by stupid gibberlings after leaving Candlekeep for the first time.
    chaosapiantLemernis