Skip to content

[Request] Bonuses for high charisma score

AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
edited June 2012 in Feature Requests
So I wanted to make this because of AndreaColombo's thread on the benefits of Int. and Wis. I think there should also be a tactical advantage to a high charisma score. What I suggest is to have a Group Morale number that goes along with the PC's charisma. That morale would give bonuses that would go something like this: 14 Charisma +1 saves vs fear, 16 charisma +2 saves vs fear, 18 charisma +3 saves vs fear etc. There would also be maluses if the Charisma score is too low: 7 charisma -1 saves vs fear, 5 charisma -2 saves vs fear, 3 charisma -3 saves vs fear. This function would be a great incentive for players to not keep their charisma score at 3 and to not feel guilty to put some points in charisma for role play factors when they know their character is going to suck because of it. What do you all think? :)
AndreaColomboAntontenaZaccaroYorleenKoreunfortunate_oneKharadoraXidalGoatBoySteveRenalGathcarugaLuneverIchigoRXCg314JaxsbudgieEdvinJediMBLawisendroKirkor[Deleted User]KozaroEudaemoniumIecerintCrevsDaakStummvonBordwehrGrammarsaladRaduziel

Comments

• trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    it would make sense to see that stat have an active influence on something else than store prices.

maybe charisma could act like a "luck" stat? every five points above 10 it decreases saving throws in general, and vice versa? i don't know what the official rules say but at least reaction score should be put to use more actively.
    CrazedSlayer
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Personally I just think they should fix the Sorcerer and Bard classes so that their spellcasting is CHA based, as per PnP rules.
    Me Too :-)
    maverickAndreaColomboIecerint
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 27
    Me too PnP rules \ (^0^) /
    AndreaColomboGrungeChlapecZaccaroIecerint
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Go, P&P - go! ;-)
    Akerhonunfortunate_oneIecerint
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    Hmm, I always thought that a high CHA leader helped morale already. Does it?
    lolien
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126

@pacek

I seriously doubt it. If it were I wish it was written on the character sheet but I don't think so. I've never heard of it nor have I ever seen a difference in party morale between rolling a paladin or a filthy gnomish thief. I might be wrong though...
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    From BG2 Manual:
    Morale is positively influenced by having a leader (the topmost character in the portraits) with high Charisma, by the environment that the creature is located in (e. g. kobolds and drow like being underground more than they do
    wide open spaces outside), by some spells (e. g. Remove Fear), and by the type of enemies that are visible (easy enemies will raise morale).
    AntonKorelolien
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    I don't understand why they have not introduced before xD
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2012
    I think I agree with this since I remember charisma being quite useless to me, did it even open more dialogue options or something? Maybe merchant prices were affected?

edit: I agree charisma should have other uses not exactly with your suggestion of how to correct it
    Shareazu
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    High CHA scores currently lower merchant prices.

I also distinctly remember Winthrop reacting well or badly to your joke when you first meet him depending on your CHA score.
  • ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
    :D I always thought it was if I was evil or good. Telling good and ok jokes or telling gruesomely horrid jokes.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Personally I just think they should fix the Sorcerer and Bard classes so that their spellcasting is CHA based, as per PnP rules.
    absolutely.
    AndreaColombo
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It might also be a nice behind-the-scenes effect if your high charisma reduced the amount of gold required to increase your reputation when donating to churches. Use the same percent reduction that exists for purchases, and use it to scale down the donations table.
    GrungeChlapec
  • YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    Yep, a high charisma does change some NPCs' answers, I remember about Hull in Candlekeep being less grumpy with you for example. I like the OP's idea.
  • YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    Actually, if I had to choose between seeing more effects of charisma on other characters' dialogs/behaviour and between combat effect, I would go for the first one too.
    Shareazu
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    edited June 2012
    Charisma never really did much in the game. I think a significant, but not over the top, boost from good Charisma scores would be neat to have.

A Resist Fear bonus would be nice, or call it a Morale bonus.

Charisma 9 - no bonus
    Charisma 12 - +1 bonus (self).
    Charisma 15 - +2 bonus (self), +1 to nearby allies (non stacking).
    Charisma 18 - +3 bonus (self), +2 to nearby allies (non stacking).
    Charisma 20 - +4 bonus (self), +3 to nearby allies (non stacking).
    Charisma 22 - +5 bonus (self), +3 to nearby allies (non stacking).
    Charisma 24 - +6 bonus (self), +3 to nearby allies (non stacking).
    Charisma 25 - +7 bonus (self), +3 to nearby allies (non stacking).

Nearby allies means within the "sight radius" of the character with the Charisma.

If a character with 12 Charisma is within range of a 18 Charisma character, the 12 Charisma character would have +2 resistance to Fear, instead of +1.

Charisma isn't just good looks, it's confidence and leadership :)
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2012
    If I remember correctly Charisma is important for clerics and paladins since they should call to people and religion.

And I think I remember some reactions from members of the party being influenced, some characters could actually leave...

A resist against fear makes sense. It is confidence and leadership and also "good looks" that inspire trust etc.
    But in BG the member with the highest charisma in the party is the value that counts for checks, I think. Which is good because we can't all have 18 charisma characters!
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    cha could potentially affect turning (does it already in add? I forget) and (as mentioned) sorc/bard casting if they start feeling 3eish That would be fine with me. I'd also be open to other options like the op suggestion. Same with wis and int. I want something I can see on my character sheet.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually having your charisma at 19 for your top character is very usefull, you get more xp for quests, you get more items/gold, one being the +1 dagger you get from fuller in candlekeep, if you have lower charismas they like to stiff ya and plus why would it matter if a sorcerer used the charisma table for? in SoA/ ToB the sorcerer only needs 18 wis for usefull wish options, 18/19 dex for AC and 16 con for HP and the rest could all be 3 and wouldnt change it a bit, it would be way to crazy to give a sorcerer bonus spells for a high ability score because they already get an amazing amount of spells per day very quickly, but with bards i guess what would be allright since their default charisma is 15 and unless that chum is gonna be up front she/he really has no need for that
    Razor
  • ShareazuShareazu Member Posts: 51
    As @Yorleen mentioned, i think it's more important (and cool!) for charisma to have a greater effect on your dialogs than adding combat bonuses... but of course, it should also have an impact on the group's morale.

also, sorry for any mistakes, english is not my primary language... but hopefully, i can make you guys understand me well enough.
    @Shareazu actually charisma does effect your dialogs hugely, play a game with 3 charisma, then play a game with 19+ charisma and you will get big reaction differences between the 2 plays
    ShareazuGrungeChlapec
    well, true, i've never tried to make a character with low charisma to see the different reactions, so i suppose i don't really know... but still, it'll be good if they pass the message that every attribute is important in a way, despite your class.
    yeah, supposedly high wisdom gives you a bonus on saves vs mind influencing, and in reality land i dont think it does thats kinda frusterating, although high intelligence is important for melee characters that want to go toe to toe with mind flayers because they drain 5 INT every hit, ah its like playing russian roulette when fightin them chaps, good times
    true, i remember... poor minsc! D:
    even jaheira and mazzy, 2 smackity smack whacks, and they're out for the count
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    the actual bonuses CHA should give could be argued on, but I also totally agree that it should give something more, it it worths the points spent on it.
    And I also very strongly agree that Sorcerer and Bard casting should be CHA based!
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    I'm totally agree with this threat. Actually the CHA it's so useless If you are not a bard or sorcerer. But I don't think that BG have the problem. AD&D have limitations and that would be a major change for the team
    GrungeChlapecStummvonBordwehr