Skip to content

Game Update: v1.2.0

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @MonoCanalla Trent answered that question in the iOS subforum earlier today. :)
  • AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    If you need your RPG content spoon fed to you, then I suggest BG isn't the series for you... plenty of times I have been lost looking for something which required more careful reading of my journal or some thinking. :) and if your cut up because you found a short sword and sold it and missed out on the small reward then again... there are other games to play... also avoid Demon souls/Dark souls :D
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    Aeschylus said:

If you need your RPG content spoon fed to you, then I suggest BG isn't the series for you... plenty of times I have been lost looking for something which required more careful reading of my journal or some thinking. :) and if your cut up because you found a short sword and sold it and missed out on the small reward then again... there are other games to play... also avoid Demon souls/Dark souls :D

I've no problem with BG myself, but Dark Souls? In my humble opinion, that game is pure masochism. I'm an old school RPG player. No stranger to hard games not afraid to let you of the leash, but I haven't got the nerves for DS. It's not dying against boss mobs that gets to me, it's the save system that forces me to fight every mob I ever fought before getting to the boss. I just hate grinding and repetition. And DS seems to relish that.

• BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @revanbh The save system in DS is horrible, yes, but I manage to greatly enjoy the game anyway. I think the trick is to have several characters that you're able to swap between, so that when you fail at one point of the game you can easily switch to another character and another part for some variety.
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38

@revanbh The save system in DS is horrible, yes, but I manage to greatly enjoy the game anyway. I think the trick is to have several characters that you're able to swap between, so that when you fail at one point of the game you can easily switch to another character and another part for some variety.

Interesting advice. Will try that.

• metalmunkimetalmunki Member Posts: 67
    Isaya said:

Bad idea. You kill the gnolls before you get the quest, then you'll never be able to finish it.

The spawn can be tied to the quest as well.
    Isaya said:

Why should a normal dagger/sword, as used by miners or a normal person like Perdue, should look different from the mass market dagger/sword?
    Do we need to call that a "problem"?
    Do we really need to dumb down the game that much?!
    Are people going to ask for signs over the head for characters that have a quest for you?
    Please...

Your enthusiasm for protecting all things Baldur's Gate is noted, however there are aspects of game design that would call this 'a problem'. If people are having trouble with it, it's a problem. Just because you know about the sword already (as do I), does not mean it's all fine and dandy. These players aren't having trouble finding the quest, or killing the gnolls, or anything related to skill of play. It's a fundamental design issue. People don't think 'gee I've never seen a short sword drop off a Gnoll before', they think 'oh look more trash loot in that pile of dead bodies, I't's not important, I'll just keep the gold and jewelry'. Just because you have the gift of hindsight does not mean it's not an issue. It's not a game-breaking issue, it's just minor design flaw. People can live with it, but it is easily fixed.

I'd argue, for instance, that it's a more important issue than not having coloured-coded messages about what spells are writeable to the spellbook. That, arguably, is just tinkering where it's not needed, as nothing goes wrong if you try and write a spell you already have, it just says you already have it, no harm no foul. But apparently, saving those precious seconds is important to some, so why can't you see that this is just as if not more important to others?
    edited November 2013
    @iasson

Totally missing the point, and being an elitist snob in the process. Well done for hitting both those notes, I guess. It's not about making the sword special, it's about ensuring it's not missed. 'deserve a minor punishment' is the dumbest thing I've read in quite a while. Hey, let's just have that for all quest items then! And I'm sure there's a few pieces of jewellery we can be make look like bullets, or all arrows magic or otherwise look like plain old arrows. That'll show those 'mindless gamers', won't it? Perhaps we can change it so everything has to be operated via the Clua console? No point making it easy for them, is there? Scrubs, that they are.

I've been gaming for 20 years, original Baldur's Gate included, and manage to maintain an adult level of objectivity. I hoped I was able to assume the same from you. A fool's hope.

For the record, Dragon Age sucks.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Let's keep things civil, folks. Not everybody's going to agree about everything, but please try to be respectful in your disagreement.
  • iassoniasson Member Posts: 101
    edited November 2013
    @metalmunki

Its ok to have the opinion you have i guess, its the trend of today.
    If someone cant get something we must change it so everyone can get it.
    While this behaviour could be good and wanted in some things, in some other things isnt.
    How comes? Simple. If we get every aspect of everything down to the bottom level so we can keep everyone satisfied we will miss the point of thinking and using our brain.
    And personally if someone wont bother to see something or spent some time finding it, i wont even blink nor would i care.
    If you however want to pamper them and reward them for not trying hard enough or not paying a tiny amount of attention, then go ahead, feel free to do it. Become the Dumperman (Superman for dump people).

And for the record, i wont bother replying to you again, cause i know that your kind of people like to bend facts, blame and say nothing constructive in the proccess except some punch lines chliches that they hear in the new liberal dogma that plagues our age.

Have a nice day and please, make Perdues Short Sword a LIGHT SABER so noone will miss it ever again.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @Dee Heh, I'm not sure if we'll last out the remaining two days before release without murdering each other. ;)
    @iasson
    I'm going to assume that your last post took more than nine minutes to write, and so you didn't see my message directly before it. Grand-standing isn't something I'm going to tolerate in this or any other thread.
    Apologies for getting heated and going off-topic.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited November 2013
    The way I see it, both @metalmunki and @Fredjo have good points. Perdue's quest is pretty ridiculous from a game designer's point of view, but that's also not necessarily a problem. I agree with Fredjo's reasoning that much of the magic of games like Baldur's Gate lies in the game's ability to surprise you even after many playthroughs.
  • ayunoayuno Member Posts: 42
    I want some horses in this game :P
  • MermidionMermidion Member Posts: 69
    ayuno said:

I want some horses in this game :P

Denied :P

• lycanraviolilycanravioli Member Posts: 9
    @AndrewFoley there *was* the option to increase the overall game speed in the original games... I may have missed it in BGEE but is there a way to up the pathfinding nodes etc ?
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

@AndrewFoley there *was* the option to increase the overall game speed in the original games... I may have missed it in BGEE but is there a way to up the pathfinding nodes etc ?

Once again, I hide behind "I'm just the writer" for my ignorance of the answer to that.

• lycanraviolilycanravioli Member Posts: 9
    @AndrewFoley - ah, I didn't know that. May I say, sir, how thoroughly excellent the first (scripted) encounters with Dorn and Neera are (ignoring the Dorn conversation in FAI). Each of those encounters made me sit up and pay attention. Here's hoping for more of the same from BG2:EE
  • AkachiAkachi Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    @lycanravioli
    Yes to both questions: you can increase the FPS (which will increase the speed of the game: walking, casting, etc. due to how the engine handles higher frmerate) and number of pathfinding nodes, both in .ini.

My Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Baldur.ini Open it with at least Wordpad, Notepad is terrible for it and you'll see why.

Look for:

'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', 'xx', 60 is a bit too much IMO, but try 45-50.
    'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', 'xx', ( don't go over 400000)

Be wary that the latter seems to break the game somewhat. When your party is supposed to go to a point they cannot reach (middle of a lake for example, or a narrow path) the game stutters terribly for a bit and drops to 5fps.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2013
    Fredjo said:

@iasson

Totally missing the point, and being an elitist snob in the process. Well done for hitting both those notes, I guess. It's not about making the sword special, it's about ensuring it's not missed. 'deserve a minor punishment' is the dumbest thing I've read in quite a while. Hey, let's just have that for all quest items then! And I'm sure there's a few pieces of jewellery we can be make look like bullets, or all arrows magic or otherwise look like plain old arrows. That'll show those 'mindless gamers', won't it? Perhaps we can change it so everything has to be operated via the Clua console? No point making it easy for them, is there? Scrubs, that they are.

I've been gaming for 20 years, original Baldur's Gate included, and manage to maintain an adult level of objectivity. I hoped I was able to assume the same from you. A fool's hope.

I don't see any reason why should the new players be able to so to say "complete" the whole BG in their first or second or third or fourth game.

The greatness of games such as BG lies also in their complexity.
    There's a lot of people on these forums who have completed the BG saga many times but still learn something new and hidden from each other and I didn't see any us going nerdrage-berserk at the devs for not putting neon signs on every so-called quest item, I saw people being happy that there's always something new and fun to find in this game

It's not the "achievement" of completing all the quests that matters, we have plenty of games build on that.
    You're mistaking complexity for complication. Complexity is about having layers of depth, which is usually a good thing. We all like depth in our games. Complication however is about confusing, unclear or misdesigned things. Having quest items be indistinguishable from ordinary weapons that everybody who doesn't have preliminary knowledge ignores has nothing to do with complexity. Adding fast-travel or container highlighting has not reduced the complexity of the game.

Nobody is advocating to put neon signs on quest items. You know you've used those specific words solely to ridicule an otherwise valid idea, even if you would disagree. Don't be a dick.

By the way, from a game's perspective, if I as a player cannot correctly identify one item to be different than another (very common) item, how can I believe that my PC could? Hell, how does Perdue know it's his sword if there's no visual indication at all? Don't go tell me his initials are engraved in the sword because I can't see any initials, and if I can't, Perdue can't either.
    edited November 2013
    If we're discussing design decisions, it might have made more sense for those gnolls to only appear after you speak to Perdue. Once you know you're looking for a short sword in the possession of a group of gnolls, you'll know to check them. If you haven't spoken to Perdue yet, then naturally you won't know it's his just by looking at it.

The same thing is true of Hull's longsword in Candlekeep; it looks no different, but most of the time you're getting it after talking to Hull.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477

Fredjo said:

@iasson

I don't see any reason why should the new players be able to so to say "complete" the whole BG in their first or second or third or fourth game.

The greatness of games such as BG lies also in their complexity.
    There's a lot of people on these forums who have completed the BG saga many times but still learn something new and hidden from each other and I didn't see any us going nerdrage-berserk at the devs for not putting neon signs on every so-called quest item, I saw people being happy that there's always something new and fun to find in this game

It's not the "achievement" of completing all the quests that matters, we have plenty of games build on that.
    You're mistaking complexity for complication. Complexity is about having layers of depth, which is usually a good thing. We all like depth in our games. Complication however is about confusing, unclear or misdesigned things. Having quest items be indistinguishable from ordinary weapons that everybody who doesn't have preliminary knowledge ignores has nothing to do with complexity. Adding fast-travel or container highlighting has not reduced the complexity of the game.

Nobody is advocating to put neon signs on quest items. You know you've used those specific words solely to ridicule an otherwise valid idea, even if you would disagree. Don't be a dick.

By the way, from a game's perspective, if I as a player cannot correctly identify one item to be different than another (very common) item, how can I believe that my PC could? Hell, how does Perdue know it's his sword if there's no visual indication at all? Don't go tell me his initials are engraved in the sword because I can't see any initials, and if I can't, Perdue can't either.

First of all thanks for the good advice, I always thought I should be a dick, but maybe I should reconsider.

To the matter at hand, the usage of neon signs as an hyperbolic example is in my eyes valid.

Complexity is usually also complication, without complication there's straightforwardness and with straightforwardness there's simplicity negating complexity.
    I'm going to (not so quietly) request that this discussion of Perdue's short sword be moved to a different thread, since it has nothing to do with the latest patch and people seem incapable of discussing it politely.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

@AndrewFoley - ah, I didn't know that. May I say, sir, how thoroughly excellent the first (scripted) encounters with Dorn and Neera are (ignoring the Dorn conversation in FAI).

As much as I'd like to take credit for those, Dave Gross wrote the BGEE material. I only came on for BG2EE.
    Each of those encounters made me sit up and pay attention. Here's hoping for more of the same from BG2:EE
    Fingers crossed. :)

• ayunoayuno Member Posts: 42

So do I, but every time I bring it up, everyone in the office looks like they're going to drag me out back and stone me to death in the alley.

Jesus Christ,.. your office has probably very bad experience with horses.
  • iassoniasson Member Posts: 101
    edited November 2013
    Pedue has simply carved his name on the blade handle. So he is able to tell if thats his sword, but the appearance of it remained unchanged.

And if you wanna really know.... The following story is 100% true and it shall enlighten you in many ways. Enjoy reading!

"One rainy afternoon Perdue was sitting in the tavern bored to death so he decided to pick up his pocket knife and write his name on the sword.
    But alas, his boredom was not so easily cured.

He then decided to go for a walk around the area of bergost, unaware at the moment that gnolls where lurking in the small forest nearby.
    Once the gnolls laid eyes on Perdue they started hunting him with a skewer, cause the gnolls wanted to eat an exotic delight called Hafling on a stick.
    Perdue panicked and tried to reach for his short sword but...

He realised he had shit himself and was now slipping on his own shit.
    He slipped deep withing a rabbits tunnel but his short sword was stuck in the entrance.

The gnolls being unable to catch the hafling took his sword (to use it as a toothpick) an went back to the small forest really dissapointed."

Thats the story of Perdue and his not so special short sword.
    Hope that clarifies some things.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    iasson said:

Pedue has simply carved his name on the blade handle. So he is able to tell if thats his sword, but the appearance of it remained unchanged.

And if you wanna really know.... The following story is 100% true and it shall enlighten you in many ways. Enjoy reading!

"One rainy afternoon Perdue was sitting in the tavern bored to death so he decided to pick up his pocket knife and write his name on the sword.
    But alas, his boredom was not so easily cured.

He then decided to go for a walk around the area of bergost, unaware at the moment that gnolls where lurking in the small forest nearby.
    Once the gnolls laid eyes on Perdue they started hunting him with a skewer, cause the gnolls wanted to eat an exotic delight called Hafling on a stick.
    Perdue panicked and tried to reach for his short sword but...

He realised he had shit himself and was now slipping on his own shit.
    He slipped deep withing a rabbits tunnel but his short sword was stuck in the entrance.

The gnolls being unable to catch the hafling took his sword (to use it as a toothpick) an went back to the small forest really dissapointed."

Thats the story of Perdue and his not so special short sword.
    Hope that clarifies some things.

Ooh, now tell the story of Zhurlong's boots!
This discussion has been closed.