Skip to content

Game Update: v1.2.0

Comments

• metalmunkimetalmunki Member Posts: 67
    ayuno said:

Can i create my own companion for the single player is something like that possible?.

You can start a multiplayer game by yourself and create a whole party of characters from there and play through the whole game, never taking any NPCs if you wish.

• XathosXathos Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2013

ayuno said:

Can i create my own companion for the single player is something like that possible?.

You can start a multiplayer game by yourself and create a whole party of characters from there and play through the whole game, never taking any NPCs if you wish.

Not as fun, though. Half the journey is your (possibly) crazy companions and their stories. If you do play with a friend, I'd switch combat over to turn based (you have to wait through dialog anyway), and only make one character each.

@Xathos,

I'm not asking to be mean, just to clarify.

You clicked the Apply Update button?

You don't need to hit anything with Steam (unless you change the update options, which I never did). It's suppose to automatically update (or check for updates) not long after you're online. If you launch an application, with an update pending, it'll stop you from playing and give you a progress bar as it updates. This just kept going back and forth. Any syncing of savegames (don't remember if that option is in here), should've prompted it to update, but it never did.

The new shader is, and other options are, very nice. OpenGL > Direct X. It does look a lot like me running the original Icewind Dale with the widescreen mod in. That game held up REALLY well to time. It's shame IWD 2 runs like shit on modern systems. It's almost like it needs... an overhaul.

On a side note, I'm a modder from the Sins of the Solar Empire community, and we just had the big 1.8 update (and new DLC drop). Ironically enough, that too, also has an updated shader. It also, like this, broke the majority of mods, so, that'll take me a while to get fixed. BG will probable have to wait. I've been holding off on doing a complete EE playthrough for this patch.

• DanielcostaDanielcosta Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately for me, the patch killed my game.
    I use steam and began playing the game yesterday. Today, when I tried to play (when the patch was already installed), the game didn't run. I see that Steam recognizes the game for a few seconds as if i was playing: my avatar goes green, and then about 3-5 secs later, blue again. No window pops up, nothing.
    While the game "runs" for these seconds I can see the process BGEE.exe in the task manager, even though no window pops up. I use no mods.
    Anyone has a download of a downpatcher or any other solution?
    Specs: Win7, HD7850, i5
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Did you check your compat settings? I know I'll have to fiddle with those for mine - I run Windows 8.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Again, I must ask what "improved interaction" means. At this point it seems like filler--little nothing words to make the patch seem to do more than it actually does. Also:

Added option to scale UI
    Subtitles option added for movies

These options don't exist in any of the menus.
    edited November 2013
    It was working perfectly. When the STEAM auto patch installed, I couldn't play anymore. Tried all usual stuff: compatibility, disabling desktop composition, administrator mode, fiddled with the .ini file, checked consistency of game files, pretty much almost everything. Next step would be to downgrade to a previous version of the game, since reinstalling will keep the current version... :/
    Fixed it! Turn off DEP.
  • lycanraviolilycanravioli Member Posts: 9
    Woohoo ! Steam-er here, all patched up to 1.2 and loving it. Thanks guys !
  • MermidionMermidion Member Posts: 69
    Isaya said:

@Mermidion That's quite easy to do it on your own:

1. go to the language directory for texts, in your case, lang\de_DE
    2. rename data as data_de (contains all NPC sounds)
    3. rename sounds as sounds_de (contains sounds for main character)
    4. rename movies as movies_de (starting movies)
    5. start the game: all sounds will default to English now
    If you want parts in german, keep one of the directories unchanged.
    If you want to use sounds from another language, you'll have to wait as german is the only alternative for now. ;-)
    Otherwise, it would simply be a matter of copying the data and sounds from that other language into lang\de_DE.
    Thank you.it Worked like a charm.This is exactly what i wanted.
    And thanks to your explanation it was pretty easy. ;-)

• SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Foodgeek said:

Is there a problem with Lothander? I spoke to him after diviner (he initiated it) but he is NOT at Blade & Stars. And that quest must be completed to survive. What do I do? I have the Geas scroll.

Just to be sure - have you checked upstairs?
    He is on the second floor.
  • JonMarcJonMarc Member Posts: 17

Wow... just read this on the steam boards for BGEE. Not my words but wow !!

Blah...blah...blah

There's a small handful of Steam Members who actually take the time to learn for themselves and troubleshoot; it's a fun forum to read.

Enjoy the popcorn, brave warriors!
    Is this kind of post really necessary?
  • CatnoseCatnose Member Posts: 16
    Hi. My first post.

I bought this game from Steam a while ago, but I didn't start playing since I was waiting for the new patch to arrive. Yesterday I noticed it had happened, but had a small problem with the update.

I wrote this to be a Just a heads up if anyone has the same problem as I did. I couldn't get the update applied at first. Steam said "Update required". I noticed files had been downloaded to downloading folder in my Steam Library. I restarted Steam etc, which didn't help. I didn't have any mods installed, as I had not really played the game yet, just tested and created one character.

I had deleted French language manuals from the game directory, as I don't need them. I kept the English ones.

The problem was possibly related to the fact that I ran out of disk space during the update. I think the update was downloaded, but could not be applied due to lack of disk space. But even after I deleted a lot of files, the update still did not apply. In the end I simply had to delete all local content as a solution. After re-download, update had been correctly applied.

My Steam Library is not on the default program files location, but on another drive, not on a system drive.

After deletion one file remained, intro1 in the movies folder. I deleted that manually before re-download.

Perhaps developers can do something about this? But anyways, a minor thing to do.

For developers: great job! Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it. Thanks for this.

Time to start playing...
  • RombieRombie Member Posts: 3
    I'm very happy for all those Steam users... but is there any news on the iOS version?
    Can barely wait to see it on my iPad now!

Anyway, great work from the development team!
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    Do I have to delete and re-install baldur's gate for this update to work? My game keeps crashing now ever since the update.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Dreadnaught
    Are you seeing a particular error message before it crashes? Aside from the "a crash dump has been generated" message, I mean.
  • JonMarcJonMarc Member Posts: 17
    @Dee, love the new patch. The Shadowdancer balancing in particular is spot on. Quick question - I remember seeing some BG2:EE screenshots where a scroll that was already scribed to a mage's spellbook was shown highlighted in green. This doesn't seem to be BG:EE functionality at the moment. Is the plan to implement this in a future BG:EE patch?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    JonMarc said:

@Dee, love the new patch. The Shadowdancer balancing in particular is spot on. Quick question - I remember seeing some BG2:EE screenshots where a scroll that was already scribed to a mage's spellbook was shown highlighted in green. This doesn't seem to be BG:EE functionality at the moment. Is the plan to implement this in a future BG:EE patch?

Yes. But it will be the other way around; the overlay will display when the scroll can be written into your spellbook.
  • ayunoayuno Member Posts: 42
    This patch is really nice. I played it a couple of hours and it makes everything more enjoyable. But there is one thing which is a little bit annoying and that is the texture. Whenever i scroll or zoom in, i can see the blurry pixels. It would be really nice if someone can make something like an HD Update for this game. I think it should be possible but something like that will take a long time of course.

Anyways, thanks beamdog.
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    Dee said:

@Dreadnaught
    Are you seeing a particular error message before it crashes? Aside from the "a crash dump has been generated" message, I mean.

All it says is the dumperror 1.2.0000.001
  • mirceapuimirceapui Member Posts: 26
    ayuno said:

This patch is really nice. I played it a couple of hours and it makes everything more enjoyable. But there is one thing which is a little bit annoying and that is the texture. Whenever i scroll or zoom in, i can see the blurry pixels. It would be really nice if someone can make something like an HD Update for this game. I think it should be possible but something like that will take a long time of course.

Anyways, thanks beamdog.

Yeah i know what you mean i dont think that problem with blurry textures will be fixed because the engine is too old and it would take so much time for developers to "clean" the textures. It's possibly they can't do it.
  • mastermastermastermaster Member Posts: 1
    OMG! The patch is alive on Steam! TY :)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Are the people in Apple sleeping? Still waiting for update release on iPad
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Illustair
    They found a few iPad-specific bugs so they have to fix them before it goes live
    edited November 2013
    Bah... i forgot everything in BG. What's the point of EWEG: 20 ?. Anyways, I'll find it out or maybe i should watch a lets play or something like that.

@mirceapui

It's really sad but yeah.. You're right.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    mirceapui said:

Yeah i know what you mean i dont think that problem with blurry textures will be fixed because the engine is too old and it would take so much time for developers to "clean" the textures. It's possibly they can't do it.

The problem isn't with the engine, it is the artwork - every area would need to be re-painted from scratch.
  • BhaalSpawndBhaalSpawnd Member Posts: 12
    Finally was able to play the patch last night after downloading from Steam. Great work guys! Looks so good now :D
  • EketEket Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2013
    Would be nice to know what exactly is holding up the ios version, been waiting a year now since buying the game, to finally play through it.
    Cerevant said:

The problem isn't with the engine, it is the artwork - every area would need to be re-painted from scratch.

Can't you just open these textures and rebuild the pixels to make them larger until it's HD?. I saw some examples in that case so I'm just wondering.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    ayuno said:

Can't you just open these textures and rebuild the pixels to make them larger until it's HD?. I saw some examples in that case so I'm just wondering.

Without source art that is equal or higher resolution than the target resolution, it is not possible.
This discussion has been closed.