Skip to content

Lawful Good:Why all the flack?

Why so many gamers are mean spirited and mocks lawful good characters?

Comments

• RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    It may not be an accurate summarization of the alignment, but it is often associated with zealots, and those who would act to uphold the law even when it is not the morally correct thing to do. Laws can and should be ignored, broken, discarded, under specific circumstances. Neutral Good and Chaotic Good do a lot more right, for me.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Examples????

I think in general, there is a perception that players and developers expect Lawful Stupid rather than Lawful good. But I don't think that many people knock or bash actual well played 'Goodly' characters. Unless you are seeing something different?
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    I think it's entirely on the individual. Nothing wrong with being a genuinely good person (character), but I think a lot of people think it's so over done. Especially if the person comes off a self aggrandizing zealot. That tends to be annoying.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think most people are probably a mild lawful good or neutral. Keep in mind that dnd has a black and white world, and "good" and "evil" are pre-decided (all demons are evil, all paladins are good) . In the real world things get a bit fuzzy. Good and evil change depending on culture, time period, age, ect. Very few people think of themselves as the bad guy.
    Also, in most games your very strongly your alignment. You make big choices and such, everything is exaggerated, (as it should be. Real life is boring 90% of the time) so "good" is "yes ma'm, what do you wish of me?", and "evil" is (to some people) stabbing them. In real life people aren't usually excessively polite, and almost never stab people, especially for no reason.

Also, in a game, (lawful) good is usually pretty dumb. Just the way it is. You are obliged to choose the most obvious "good and noble" path without question, even when it's a trap. So I think a lot of people say that their evil, but don't really act that way. I consider myself chaotic good, and according to some polls I've seen, so do most people. The 2e alignment system varies greatly from person to person, and is under constant debate. Especially the neutrals, it seems.
  • JnnJnn Member Posts: 34
    Been playing, or trying atleast to, as lawful good and on my experience i've noticed that some (most) of the dialogue options give you only the lawful stupid choice.

So i wouldnt be suprised if thats atleast partly the reason many players shy away from lawful good playstyle.

Baldurs gate 2 already does it much better in that regard that playing lawful good doesnt feel like playing mentally handicapped person.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    People like to prioritize lawful over good but really I think it should be the other way around. A lawful good character can topple an evil regime just as well as a chaotic good character. Lawful to me implies that you're a highly principled person, not necessarily law-abiding all the time.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I think it depends on interpretations. As people have pointed out, 'Lawful Stupid' is pretty restrictive for a roleplaying game, and other alignments tend to offer more choices.

I think of Good as 'willing to sacrifice personal interest for the sake of others', or true altruism, and Evil as 'Takes enjoyment from inflicting pain and suffering on others'. So somebody behaving rationally is Neutral.

Within this context I really like Lawful Good people, because I think of a lawful system as a 'good' in itself just through its prevention of Chaos. And I like Good people cos... well wouldn't you wish the real world was less selfish and populated by more 'nice' people.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I only play Chaotic Neutral, and as such Lawful Good characters are fine by me, so long as their company is positive and benefiting me somehow.

Same with all alignments other than Chaotic Evils, since they are close to impossible to manipulate to my own selfish desires.
  • Aside from the Lawful Stupid angle, I think Lawful Good is often reviled for the same reasons Elves (to give one example) are. There is a tendency in media/fiction for Elves to be treated as Better Than Everyone Else, sometimes to the point of the Elven characters themselves arrogantly talking about how awesome they are and looking down on everyone else. I think a similar thing tends to happens with Lawful Good-types; they are portrayed as holding themselves up to a higher standard than everyone else, and that includes an implicit judgment factor that rankles people.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269

Oh, no. Not another thread where people confuse the alignment "Lawful" with "Legal/judicial".

Indeed. Lawful can refer to a strong set of personal moral codes rather than obey all laws of all societies. So if you hold yourself to a set of moral or behavioural principles and tend towards helping people then you may well be Lawful Good.

You don't need to be an unquestioning automaton nor do you need to obey every petty, stupid law of the place you're in to qualify.

This is true. Lawful in D&D does not mean "follows all laws." If a Paladin stormed into a Drow City to stop their evil plans, he wouldn't be compelled to obey the commands of Priestesses of Llolth, even though obeying them is the law in Drow cities. He'd also feel no need to cease worshiping his own God in Menzoberranzan even though the worship of any deity except Llolth is outlawed there. Lawful means that you're dedicated to a defined set of principles and the concept of order. Often those principles coincide with the law, such as "Murder and Thievery are wrong", but they are not one and the same. "Lawful" being a misleading name is the thing that most confuses people about the alignment sytsem.

I don't know about this.

This is the way I see it. Lawful Good is the epitome of goodness. Thus, is extremely rare. If we are going to use the paladin as an example, you must remember that they are champions of their diety. They are inherently zealots. They have to abide by every petty law.

The example with Llolth doesn't make sense, since a paladin wouldn't be beholden by Llolth.

Take the Paladin that feels his order is corrupt. Why does he outsource help in investigating the order? He can't take direct action against his laws. If he did so, he would become Neutral Good, hence becoming a fallen paladin, with no access to his powers. Paladins are in a word, prisoners of their alignment.

My outlook on this makes Lawful Good seem almost insane. No normal person would be so strict with laws. Which is why I feel this alignment choice should be extremely rare, almost exclusive to Paladins. On further note, it would make since to view Lawful Good as a form of insanity, being the polar opposite of Chaotic Evil. They are two extremes that require a degree of insanity I feel.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Lawful Good people are always so mean to me.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182

Because Lawful Neutral is superior in every way.

Judge Dredd, is cool. Nevertheless, the LN is far more ignorant and intolerant than the LG. The LN is only interested in adhering to the letter of the law. They are rigid in their approach, with no interest in morality. The LG is compassionate and will consider the nature of a law when it fails to best protect the weak, or punish the wicked.

I see things most often from a True Neutral, or a Neutral Good, point of view. In both cases the LN would create the greater friction.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    The problem with lawful good is the lawful bit.

It implies that one will allow his or her morality to be constrained by whatever current legal context he or she is allowed in.

This means that, for example, if a lawful good character were in a country where it wasn't illegal to rape children, he or she would not interfere in a child being raped in front of his or her eyes. An extreme example, but I think it conveys the point. Laws are imperfect creations of imperfect societies; they are the product of morality, and should NEVER be interpreted as the origin, or center, or a moral system.

Essentially, lawful good means EVIL, because it means refusing to act on ones morality if doing so is counter to the law. Burke's "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" applies perfectly to the lawful good archetype.

And if the Nuremburg Trials taught us anything, it's that all men are beholden to a higher law than law.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262

As for real life alignments, nope, "most people" are not lawful good. They are neutral.

I agree, I think most people are lawful neutral - in that they accept that laws protect them and prefer living in a lawful society to an anarchic society. But they are not good or evil, for the most part, they are just focused on their own needs or those of close friends and family.

I think there are quite a few people in power who are lawful evil - they manipulate the law to keep or obtain power, and use laws to keep the "lesser" folk under control.

"Good" people are rarer - you are now talking about people who go out of their way to help others, particularly people they don't know and won't get any benefit from helping. Someone who helps others because they get some kind of reward are really closer to neutral. I think most people today who ARE good are neutral good, they stay within the law when it makes sense, break the law when it doesn't. Lawful good is challenging in a society with so many nonsensical laws that punish people who are not doing anything particularly bad.

Chaotic alignments of any type would struggle to fit into modern society, IMO.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited November 2013

Oh, no. Not another thread where people confuse the alignment "Lawful" with "Legal/judicial".

::Hangs head and walks away::

I don't think anybody has thus far expressed that view, at least not until @FinaLfront.
    FinaLfront, you're mistaken. Lawful alignments are not necessarily about following the law at all.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Corvino said:

You don't need to be an unquestioning automaton nor do you need to obey every petty, stupid law of the place you're in to qualify.

No, but IMO, someone who is Lawful Good would work to change the law or work within the law, rather than outright defiance. The main thing about Lawful Good that people misunderstand: Everyone has a breaking point, and a Lawful Good who is pushed outside of his/her moral limit will NOT obey a law - say for example a death penalty for someone who believes strongly in the sanctity of life.

This is true. Lawful in D&D does not mean "follows all laws." If a Paladin stormed into a Drow City to stop their evil plans, he wouldn't be compelled to obey the commands of Priestesses of Llolth, even though obeying them is the law in Drow cities. He'd also feel no need to cease worshiping his own God in Menzoberranzan even though the worship of any deity except Llolth is outlawed there. Lawful means that you're dedicated to a defined set of principles and the concept of order. Often those principles coincide with the law, such as "Murder and Thievery are wrong", but they are not one and the same. "Lawful" being a misleading name is the thing that most confuses people about the alignment sytsem.

I don't know about this.

This is the way I see it. Lawful Good is the epitome of goodness. Thus, is extremely rare. If we are going to use the paladin as an example, you must remember that they are champions of their diety. They are inherently zealots. They have to abide by every petty law.

The example with Llolth doesn't make sense, since a paladin wouldn't be beholden by Llolth.

Take the Paladin that feels his order is corrupt. Why does he outsource help in investigating the order? He can't take direct action against his laws. If he did so, he would become Neutral Good, hence becoming a fallen paladin, with no access to his powers. Paladins are in a word, prisoners of their alignment.

My outlook on this makes Lawful Good seem almost insane. No normal person would be so strict with laws. Which is why I feel this alignment choice should be extremely rare, almost exclusive to Paladins. On further note, it would make since to view Lawful Good as a form of insanity, being the polar opposite of Chaotic Evil. They are two extremes that require a degree of insanity I feel.
    It depends on why you think paladins follow their gods. My view is that paladins are people who are innately good, virtuous Lawful Good people and choose to follow gods who share their philosophy. So if it turns out that, oh crap, the order I'm a member of is actually a front for an evil cult, then I have no more obligation to follow their tenets. Sure, I might lose my paladin powers because those were granted by the god I was following, but it's not because I was acting contrary to my alignment.

Things get messy if it turns out I'm wrong and I'm the one who's misled, but whatever, absolute morality is kind of silly anyways. In that universe it's easy to sort out because if it turns out I screwed up my alignment will reflect that and/or a solar will kick my ass.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2013
    @FinaLfront

He has to obey the commands and rules of his god, but a Paladin is under no obligation to obey the laws of mortals unless they coincide with the tenants of his faith or if one of his deity's rules is "Obey all mortal laws everywhere." He wouldn't be beholden to the mortal laws of Menzoberranzan either, one of which is "Worship no deity but Llolth." He'd also try to free those enslaved by the drow because it's the right thing to do, even though slavery is legal among the drow. A Paladin views his own faith's rules to be far above anything created by mortals. Paladins, being nice guys, generally avoid making trouble or violating petty laws their faith is silent on, but they won't hesitate to fight against tyrants.

A Paladin that feels his order has become corrupt and no longer obeys the commands and/or beliefs of their deity would gladly fight to restore the order to it's original purpose while remaining "Lawful" since he's fighting in defense of the principles the order is supposed to be guided by. Allegiance to a set of principles is what Lawful means, not allegiance to mortal institutions. Defending those principles from being twisted is about the most lawful thing a character can do.

It implies that one will allow his or her morality to be constrained by whatever current legal context he or she is allowed in.

The name is non-indicative. It DOES NOT means a dedication to mortal laws. The D&D version of "Lawful" actually means dedication to a defined set of principles, not laws themselves.

This means that, for example, if a lawful good character were in a country where it wasn't illegal to rape children, he or she would not interfere in a child being raped in front of his or her eyes. An extreme example, but I think it conveys the point. Laws are imperfect creations of imperfect societies; they are the product of morality, and should NEVER be interpreted as the origin, or center, or a moral system.

That's just wrong. Almost no Lawful Good character would refuse to interfere in such a case.

Ooh wow, I didn't see it either. Not touching that one.
    edited November 2013

A Paladin that feels his order has become corrupt and no longer obeys the commands and/or beliefs of their deity would gladly fight to restore the order to it's original purpose while remaining "Lawful" since he's fighting in defense of the principles the order is supposed to be guided by. Allegiance to a set of principles is what Lawful means, not allegiance to mortal institutions. Defending those principles from being twisted is about the most lawful thing a character can do.

This scenario works if the evil that has stricken the Order is blatantly obvious. In the case of a more surreptitious enemy, the Paladin would be the kind of guy that needed evidence to take any action. He wouldn't be able to go with his "gut feeling"

This is my view based on descriptions right out of the book:

Neutral Good

These characters believe that a balance of forces is important, but that the concerns of law and chaos do not moderate the need for good. Since the universe is vast and contains many creatures striving for different goals, a determined pursuit of good will not upset the balance; it may even maintain it. If fostering good means supporting organized society, then that is what must be done. If good can only come about through the overthrow of existing social order, so be it. Social structure itself has no innate value to them. A baron who violates the orders of his king to destroy something he sees as evil is an example of a Neutral Good character.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/character/alignments/

For some reason they felt the need to differentiate NG from LG with that example
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2013
    @FinaLfront

Since Lawful Good Paladins tend to see value in order and social structures, they'd be unlikely to outright destroy their now-corrupt order. Rather, they'd reforming it to it's original purpose rather than blindingly following bad orders. They'd try to change things peacefully and by-the-book, but if it came down to a choice of obeying the commands of their god and obeying the commands of their mortal superiors, they'd gladly side with their god, even if it meant violence. They're still following defined principles, but divine ones that supersede any mortal law or rules.

If their god became corrupted though, then the Paladins are in a serious conundrum...