Skip to content

Lawful Good:Why all the flack?

14567810»

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I consider Samuel Vines from Discworld to be a peculiar Lawful Good character. He's a cynical jerk, but he's also the most honorable character in the series. The law is the boat which Vines rides in a senseless world. When demons tried to possess him, he kicked them out with sheer law and goodnes.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    See, that's the thing. Lawful Good peeps end up being stigmatized as being bigots, which isn't necessarily true.

See, that's the thing. Lawful Good peeps end up being stigmatized as being bigots, which isn't necessarily true.

Indeed.
    I think i should refresh this thread.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lolful Good: All the flack is divinely justified.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Most people mistakenly think that "lawful good" means "one who does no wrong". Lawful good characters may get drunk--which is neither inherently evil nor unlawful,

i think that's fundamentally wrong.
    the alignment-based archetypes owe a lot to religion and western cultural mores.
    to lawful good characters everything is either inherently good or inheretntly evil. to most lawful characters, i think that alcohol would be inherently evil, the way it is to teetotaller christian bigots (or muslims), because they would see it as vice which is inherently evil. a paladin would see alcohol as an agent of impurity in the world, that does no good and needs to be eradicated.
    and a society ruled by lawful good law-givers (paladins maybe) would be a prohibitionist society, for sure.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    @bob_veng Did I really say that? Oh, yes...it looks like I *did* say that...

four and a half years ago. I am curious--what was the point in quoting me from, literally, page 1?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Mathsorcerer , Sometimes, with extreme thread necromancy like this, people click on the thread and start responding to it without noticing the date. It's happened to me before.

I already kind of stirred the hornets' nest talking about my lawful good bias in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, so I don't think I'll do it again here.
    Yes, I probably sounded a little more harsh than was necessary. I was really more amused by it than annoyed, though.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @bob_veng Well no. Lawful Good characters follow a code. What is or isn't allowed to them depends on what that code is.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

@bob_veng Did I really say that? Oh, yes...it looks like I *did* say that...

four and a half years ago. I am curious--what was the point in quoting me from, literally, page 1?

bleh. who cares. ideas matter not who said them
    bob_veng said:

bleh. who cares. ideas matter not who said them

Fair enough. I cannot disagree with that assessment.