Skip to content

Pre-load failure. Thanks Beamdog!

Comments

• bersbachbersbach Member Posts: 14
    Just to provide a counter to many of the examples being listed here, I downloaded the whole thing (no pre-load) in under an hour. And my cable connection is usually... less than remarkable. Color me PLEASED.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    @bersback color yourself lucky! :)
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited November 2013
    OK, so silly question time. I finished my preload but when I closeopen the standalone installer again it simply says preload complete, without an option to dl the rest that I can see. WhadoIdo? DL the client?
    e: n/m.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    Well the client shit itself had to reload AND its downloading all the non preload data AGAIN. Fuckyouverymuch
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17
    You seem to be an extremely angry person. I suggest taking a nice hot bath and sipping on some peppermint tea.

P.s. Been dling for about 10-15 mins and pretty close to done now.
    Actually Im not an angry person at all, but this is agrivating. I now am looking at another 2-4 hours of downloading.
  • VadrielVadriel Member Posts: 20
    I am normally extremely supportive of developers, but I just posted in the bug forum that my download stopped at 99%. Upon trying to pause/unpause, the beamdog client crashed. After restarting my computer (successive attempts to open it resulted in only a blank window) I reopened the client only to realize that my download progress had been reset to 400mb. Thanks a lot for the advice.
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    People always have download issues from game launches, expecting everything to go perfectly for launch day release is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

There's going to be issues regardless of developer or title.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited November 2013
    I have been stuck at 99,9% for 3 hours now. The download speed is <1kb/s. Just, WHAT?

NM, I disabled Turbo and it finished in no time. I guess one of you were uploading to me via telegraph :P (and I was working those 3h, so I didn't lose 3h of gametime)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2013
    I think a couple things should have been fairly obvious:

1) The release of BG2:EE would place an exceptionally high demand on Beamdog's servers, relative to the norm.
    2) It would be completely impractical to increase server capacity to meet a demand that will only occur, I don't know, maybe 1 or 2 days a year, when a much lower capacity would suffice 99% of the time.

Putting those 2 together, I don't think download issues on release day should come as a surprise to anyone.

Edit: Looks like I may have insert foot into mouth with this one...
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    But could have been avoided if more of the actual game was included in the preload
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    edited November 2013
    I'll take this moment to say if there weren't any DRM, the whole thing could be delivered over bittorrent. Then all of us with fast connections would be helping. Since it'll get cracked anyways, DRM just punishes the people that paid for it. Bittorrent is how the humble bundle distributes their games, and it works great!

I'm not particularly upset about the speed, since I'm still just finishing off a playthrough of bgee, but boy does DRM erk me.
    TJ_Hooker said:

1) The release of BG2:EE would place an exceptionally high demand on Beamdog's servers, relative to the norm.
    2) It would be completely impractical to increase server capacity to meet a demand that will only occur, I don't know, maybe 1 or 2 days a year, when a much lower capacity would suffice 99% of the time.

Putting those 2 together, I don't think download issues on release day should come as a surprise to anyone.

Actually from what Trent said, it sounds like that's exactly what they tried to do by using some amazon servers. That's what Amazon Web Services is all about, increasing on demand.

*edit, damn this touch pad, just realized I liked that post.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    cryocore said:

Actually Im not an angry person at all....

you could have fooled me!!
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2013
    Don't wanna sound like a jerk, but here it goes. I contemplated that I'll wait for release to be able to play asap. Instead I decided to go to sleep and download it now. Now I get average 700 KB/s; no way that would be possible exactly at launch.

I find it odd that everyone seems surprised when servers are clogged at launch. Hello, Diablo 3 f*ck up, remember me? Another thing, some time ago I wrote that we will get approx. another 1 GB to download and voilá:)

Enjoy your game, I'm certainly gonna enjoy mine.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2013

I'll take this moment to say if there weren't any DRM, the whole thing could be delivered over bittorrent. Then all of us with fast connections would be helping. Since it'll get cracked anyways, DRM just punishes the people that paid for it. Bittorrent is how the humble bundle distributes their games, and it works great!

I'm not particularly upset about the speed, since I'm still just finishing off a playthrough of bgee, but boy does DRM erk me.

Isn't it already sort of being distributed as a torrent? Trent said something earlier in this thread about getting different data chunks from different servers. There's also a P2P checkbox you can click (at least in the stand alone version). A large file being broken into smaller chunks and distributed via P2P sounds an awful lot like torrenting to me, at least based on my understanding of it (and assuming the P2P checkbox is doing what you'd think it's doing).
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    TJ_Hooker said:

Isn't already sort of being distributed as a torrent? Trent said something earlier in this thread about getting different data chunks from different servers. There's also a P2P checkbox you can click (at least in the stand alone version). A large file being broken into smaller chunks and distributed via P2P sounds an awful lot like torrenting to me, at least based on my understanding of it (and assuming the P2P checkbox is doing what you'd think it's doing).
    Thats exactly what is it.. In fact, this kind of torrent is the only thing that lawfully prevented the government from outlawing torrent progams altogether, since it gave it a legitimate use. :P
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    TJ_Hooker said:

Edit: Looks like I may have insert foot into mouth with this one...

That's why there is such thing as cloud computing. Server capacity can be auto expanded dynamically. But the issue with slow download is not related to Beamdog servers. P2P depends on people downloading the around you. I for example had ~1.5 MB/s.

TheElf said:

OK, so silly question time. I finished my preload but when I closeopen the standalone installer again it simply says preload complete, without an option to dl the rest that I can see. WhadoIdo? DL the client?

Same issue here. I've closed/reopened multiple times, but nothing happens. It says "preload complete" and that's it.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    edited November 2013
    Downloading at a steady rate of 1,2Mb/s now, so that's quite fine it seems. ;)

I was using the beamdog client. The download stopped at 99,9% to a dead halt. I had to manually pause and re-start the download a couple of times before it would download the last 0.01%, but it eventually did and it let me get right into the game.

However I don't like the beamdog client because I'm used to the standalone updater that I have for BG1EE. So I uninstalled and just got the similar BG2EE downloader from the beamdog website this time :)
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    To "Give the Launcher the Boot" click on the download progress once. It should pause. Wait until it is paused then click again. It may make better connections.

-Trent
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    Does leaving my beamdog client on mean I'm 'seeding' the download? If not I wouldn't mind leaving it on for a few days, I got a pretty decent connection so it might help a bit. Though it might very well be a drop on a hot plate.

• SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    cryocore said:

Well take solace OP you're not the only one from New Zealand downloading the game. PS hint - it's not Beamdog's fault we have such a crappy internet connection speed.

I have a 100mbit connection. I have no issues with my connection. I can DL from Steam, GOG, and Origin at line speed, so yeah it Beamdog... and the dl continues.
    Can we get an admin to change this guys username to Crymore please?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

TheElf said:

Same issue here. I've closed/reopened multiple times, but nothing happens. It says "preload complete" and that's it.
    In case you didn't resolve this. I had the same issue and solved it by clicking the 'fix' files button (using the standalone installer). This prompted the installer to recheck the files and realise that it had an extra 1gb of data to download.

I then had then 'stuck at 99% whilst still downloading at a decent speed' issue. Pausing the download (click the progress bar) and then unpausing it fixed this.
    Thanks, @decado. I have resolved it by uninstalling the game completely and using fresher installer.

'stuck at 99% whilst still downloading at a decent speed' - I had this too. Last 1% took about the same time as the whole game. Maybe the % calculation is based on the current size of space taken on HDD. However P2P reserves space ahead.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i pre loaded mine 3 days ago and i was getting rubbish download speeds so i went and read a book (wheel of time book 2 :D) and when i downloaded it at midnight earlier on today, i had rubbish/ good download speeds alternating between 600 kb/s to 1.2 mb/s so...i messed around on NWN2 and then boom it was ready. i expected rubbish download speeds because everyone would be downloading it. so this may sound rude but: stop complaining, be excited that its out now and play it
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    "Giving it the boot" (and disabling p2p near the end) worked like magic for me, thanks.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    TJ_Hooker said:

Isn't it already sort of being distributed as a torrent? Trent said something earlier in this thread about getting different data chunks from different servers. There's also a P2P checkbox you can click (at least in the stand alone version). A large file being broken into smaller chunks and distributed via P2P sounds an awful lot like torrenting to me, at least based on my understanding of it (and assuming the P2P checkbox is doing what you'd think it's doing).
    That maybe true, but it still certainly seems like lots of people are having issues with it. A real torrent would solve this problem, since it's a well tested, established and most importantly to me, an open protocol. I've had the stuck at 99% problem too, but like I said, I'm not in a rush, but I can certainly see how this would anger others.
    Elendar said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Isn't already sort of being distributed as a torrent? Trent said something earlier in this thread about getting different data chunks from different servers. There's also a P2P checkbox you can click (at least in the stand alone version). A large file being broken into smaller chunks and distributed via P2P sounds an awful lot like torrenting to me, at least based on my understanding of it (and assuming the P2P checkbox is doing what you'd think it's doing).
    Thats exactly what is it.. In fact, this kind of torrent is the only thing that lawfully prevented the government from outlawing torrent progams altogether, since it gave it a legitimate use. :P
    Not really. It's not even worth anyone's time to try and outlaw a piece of opensource software when laws are different in different countries concerning this stuff. Look how well outlawing the DECSS for DVDs worked in the US. The only reason they were able to go after other software like napster was that they were run by centralized companies where all the traffic went through their servers. Bittorrent is completely neutral in what you send over it, and nobody outside of the swarm sees it, so there's no centralization. It's whoever starts the individual torrent that runs it. The creators and distributors of the software don't even come into play, and have no way of knowing what's being transferred.

By the same logic, you could transfer illegal files over http, ftp, smtp, etc. So it's easy to argue that a protocol should not be made illegal, just because it could be used to transfer a copyrighted file.

It's all the legitimate usage of it that helps too. As I mentioned the humble bundle uses it, to great success. It's also the preferred method of many people for downloading linux ISOs for various distros.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    Haha, this is the funniest thread I have read on any board in the last month.

Release the game like 7-8 hours early and someone is still crying....

Makes me think KARMA is in play with this guy.