Skip to content

MacOS WeiDu Launcher: easy mod installation on Macs!

Comments

• VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216

Do the "setup-BLAHBLAH" files have execute permission?

Try this "chmod u+x setup-[BLAHBLAH]"

chmod u+x setup- worked great for me, I think.
    AstroBryGuy
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Now I'm getting an illegal instruction. Do the square brackets matter? I typed in "chmod u+x setup-amaureasbg1portraits"

No, the square brackets shouldn't be there - that was just a placeholder for whatever the filename was.

Basically, the command would be: "chmod u+x FILENAME" where FILENAME is the name of the weidu binary file for the mod.

If you're getting an illegal instruction error, then then weidu executable is trying to do something the OS doesn't understand. Are you using the latest weidu binary or the one that came with the mod download?
  • sturmvogel66sturmvogel66 Member Posts: 35
    I didn't really think that the square brackets meant anything, but I was just checking. I'm using the latest Mac weidu, 2.34. The note on the download says uncompiled, is that the problem?
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223

Do the "setup-BLAHBLAH" files have execute permission?

Hey thanks! This solved my problem.
    AstroBryGuy
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Does this work with BG2EE?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Scooter said:

Does this work with BG2EE?

I think WeiDU has to be made compatible, but it should after that.
    Scooter
  • LinariusLinarius Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    I also get only the following error messages once Terminal starts running when I use the BG Mac Mod Installer (v 2.1) to try to install any mod... either its:

MacBook-Pro:Resources games$ ./setup-imoenfriendship
    dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000028
    Trace/BPT trap

or its simply an:

MacBook-Pro:Resources games$ ./setup-bg2_tweaks
    Illegal instruction

The Mac Mod Installer finds Weidu correctly (latest version, mac 235 in the resources directory and named simply weidu) and it lets me pick the mod I want to install, but then when it calls Terminal to start up the setup file things always crash as one of the above errors. No matter what mod I try, either in BGEE or BGIIEE.

This seems more of a problem with the actual setup scripts, and how they communicate with Terminal? Any ideas? Is my Terminal app (version 2.1.2 which comes with my OSX 10.6.8) or Weidu not compatible or something? I have also downloaded the latest versions of BGEE and BGIIEE (yesterday).

Any thoughts or help appreciated... I'm really missing my SCS mod!

Chris

Post edited by Linarius on
  • jamminjammin Member Posts: 5
    I am getting the same issue as @Linarius trying to mod anything in either game. Also running OSX 10.6.8, and latest versions of BGEE and BG2EE

Running BG mac mod instavller v2_1 and weidu mac 235

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • djedi25djedi25 Member Posts: 2
    So I can run everything fine, and I've been trying to install the difficulty mod:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19928/release-difficulty-and-tweak-mod-ver-6/p1

And it seems to install fine - but when I run the game, nothing is changed. I can run the mod again, and it lists re-install options, so the modder is seeing it there, but the game simply doesn't change at all. Any ideas?
  • doshidaniadoshidania Member Posts: 46
    I can't seem to get any of the mods to work. When I the installer i get thisLast login: Sun Dec 1 22:22:22 on ttys000
    Beth-Varnis-MacBook-Pro-2:~ bethvarni$ cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/override/'
    Beth-Varnis-MacBook-Pro-2:override bethvarni$ ./setup-arath
    -bash: ./setup-arath: is a directory
    Beth-Varnis-MacBook-Pro-2:override bethvarni$
    But have literally no idea where to go from here. What am I suppose to say? Feeling really really stupid here
  • beingmarkhbeingmarkh Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2013

What does this mean? Is this something you type in somewhere? I made it this far with zero skills, but I'm still getting "permission denied", so no idea what to do next.

that is in reference to terminal which is used to install mods on osx
    That much I understood. The part I didn't understand was "try this". Try what, exactly? Entering that line in somewhere? If so, where?

It's worth bearing in mind that I'm a forty-one year-old French professor who didn't know there was a thing called "terminal" until I wanted to start playing BG2 again.
    Moomintroll
    Open terminal. type in
    chmod x+u setup-(name of the setup you are trying like.... I dunno the fixpack so it would be
    chmod x+u setup-bg2fixpack and then enter. It will give you permission then you just type setup-bg2fixpack and it should run your mod.
    I'm getting "invalid file mode: x+u" when I do that.
    what exactly are you typing and where are you placing your mods?
    I have the BG Mac Mod installer v 2.1, weidu, and the mods (DungeonBeGone and ItemUpgrade, though I'd add others if I could get any of them to work) in the resource folder.

As instructed, I opened terminal and typed in "chmod x+u setup-dungeonbegone" and "chmod x+u setup-itemupgrade". That's when I got the invalid file response.

Just looking over my last couple posts, it occurred to me that I might be coming across as difficult. Mostly I'm just inept at this stuff, and a little frustrated, but I'm deeply grateful for all the help.
    edited December 2013
    The filemode should be "u+x" not "x+u", e.g. chmod u+x setup-bg2fixpack

The command "chmod" (change mode) changes the access permissions to file and directories. This command is giving execute permission to the mod install program.
    edited December 2013
    jammin said:

I am getting the same issue as @Linarius trying to mod anything in either game. Also running OSX 10.6.8, and latest versions of BGEE and BG2EE

Running BG mac mod instavller v2_1 and weidu mac 235

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@jammin - There's apparently a compatibility issue with the latest version of WeiDU and OS X 10.6.8. WeiDU 235/6 were compiled on a newer version of OS X, and the binary is not backward-compatible.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=50d098ca012161533833eb79e066891f&topic=28800.0
    edited December 2013

I can't seem to get any of the mods to work. When I the installer i get this
    Last login: Sun Dec 1 22:22:22 on ttys000
    Beth-Varnis-MacBook-Pro-2:~ bethvarni$ cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/override/'
    Beth-Varnis-MacBook-Pro-2:override bethvarni$ ./setup-arath
    -bash: ./setup-arath: is a directory
    Beth-Varnis-MacBook-Pro-2:override bethvarni$

But have literally no idea where to go from here. What am I suppose to say? Feeling really really stupid here

Well you should be running the mod installers from the Resources directory, not the override directory. Are you using the BG Mac Mod Installer?

In the directory "Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/" you should have the BG Mac Mod Installer and a copy of the latest version of WeiDU (just named weidu). For each mod, put the mod folder into the Resources directory too (I usually discard the setup-xxxxx.exe windows installer they come with).

Here's a listing of my Resources directory. All of the setup-xxxx files are links to weidu created by the Mac Mod Installer.

Note: "@ means the file is a symbolic link, *" means the file is executable

dhcp205:Resources $ pwd
    /Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources
    dhcp205:Resources $ ls -1F
    BG Mac mod installer v2_1.app/
    BaldursGate.icns
    Erg_Ankheg_Armor_v1/
    Manuals/
    SETUP-BG1NPC.DEBUG
    SETUP-BG1NPCMUSIC.DEBUG
    SETUP-BG1UB.DEBUG
    SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.DEBUG
    SETUP-ERG_ANKHEG_ARMOR_V1.DEBUG
    SETUP-IWDIFICATION.DEBUG
    SETUP-KIT_REV.DEBUG
    SETUP-MORE_STYLE_FOR_MAGES.DEBUG
    SETUP-NEERA.DEBUG
    SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG
    SETUP-WANDCASE.DEBUG
    WandCase/
    WeiDU.log
    bg1npc/
    bg1npcmusic/
    bg1ub/
    bg2_tweaks/
    chitin.key*
    data/
    dialog.tlk@
    dialogF.tlk@
    iwdification/
    kit_rev/
    lang/
    more_style_for_mages/
    movies/
    music/
    neera/
    override/
    script compiler/
    scripts/
    setup-Erg_Ankheg_Armor_v1@
    setup-WandCase@
    setup-bg1npc@
    setup-bg1npcmusic@
    setup-bg1ub@
    setup-bg2_tweaks@
    setup-iwdification@
    setup-kit_rev@
    setup-more_style_for_mages@
    setup-neera@
    setup-stratagems@
    stratagems/
    stratagems_external/
    weidu*
    weidu.conf
    weinstall*

The filemode should be "u+x" not "x+u", e.g. chmod u+x setup-bg2fixpack

The command "chmod" (change mode) changes the access permissions to file and directories. This command is giving execute permission to the mod install program.

Okay, at least something new is happening, but now for DungeonBeGone I'm getting:

"dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000028
    Trace/BPT trap"

And for the item upgrade mod I got this:

Choose your language:
    0 [American English]
    1 [Francais (traduction de Artemidore et Cocobard et Sanctifer)]
    2 [Deutsche (?bersetzung durch Maus & Frischauf & Lainer)]
    3 [Espa?ol (hecha por Clan DLAN, Ancalagon del Negro por Clan REO & ...)]
    4 [Polish (by Nastian & SoM - part of CoB Clan)]
    5 [Russian (Iogan, prowler, hawkmoon & AERIE.RU)]
    6 [Korean (web2air)]
    Using Language [American English]

Couldn't open the readme: file not found.
    ERROR: No translation provided for @1
    Continuing despite error.

Install Component [UNDEFINED STRING: @1]?
    [N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:
    1] Original list version
    2] Revised consistency plus version

edited December 2013
    @beingmarkh - What version of OS X are you running? The dyld error sounds like the problems users of Snow Leopard are having with the latest OS X builds of WeiDU. WeiDU versions 235/6 were compiled on a newer version of OS X, and the binary is not backward-compatible.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=50d098ca012161533833eb79e066891f&topic=28800.0

For the error with the item upgrade: It sounds like WeiDU can't find the files in the c2 directory of the Item Upgrade mod. Is that directory in the Resources directory?

Also, are you using the setup-itemupgrade.command that comes with the mod (and is it v40)? The bundled version of WeiDU with Item Upgrade v40 is old, and might not be compatible with BG2EE.

Okay, well this is weird.

For some reason the C2 was there, but was empty, so I deleted and reloaded everything. I ran the BG Mac mod installer again, and got this:

Choose your language:
    0 [American English]
    1 [Francais (traduction de Artemidore et Cocobard et Sanctifer)]
    2 [Deutsche (?bersetzung durch Maus & Frischauf & Lainer)]
    3 [Espa?ol (hecha por Clan DLAN, Ancalagon del Negro por Clan REO & ...)]
    4 [Polish (by Nastian & SoM - part of CoB Clan)]
    5 [Russian (Iogan, prowler, hawkmoon & AERIE.RU)]
    6 [Korean (web2air)]

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o
    y

Install Component [Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades]?
    [N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:
    1] Original list version
    2] Revised consistency plus version

Installing [Original list version] [v40]
    ERROR: BIFF [./DATA/NEERA.BIF] cannot be loaded: Invalid_argument("String.create")
    loading 1 tra file
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Copying 1 file ...
    Appending to files ...
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Original list version], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 2 files for [SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 2 files for [SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: BIFF [./DATA/NEERA.BIF] cannot be loaded: Invalid_argument("String.create")
    ERROR: Sys_error("override/tooltip.2da: Not a directory")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.DEBUG to weimer@cs.berkeley.edu

Also, when I click on the setup-itemupgrade.command, it says:

The file “setup-itemupgrade.command” could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges.

So I right-clicked on it, clicked "get info", and it says that I have read and write permission, so I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about that.

And yes, I'm running Snow Leopard, so it looks like I'm out of luck for DungeonBeGone, and perhaps for others as well.

All that setup-itemupgrade.command does is run the WeiDU program included with the mod download (named setup-itemupgrade). However, that program is an old version of WeiDU.

The BG2EE mod compatibility list says that Item Upgrade is awaiting a new version of WeiDU. So, I'd say that means it isn't BG2EE compatible with the bundled WeiDU binary.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1
    Well at least now I know, and can quit trying to make all these work. I might try some other mods to see if I can get them to work.

Thanks very, very much for your help and patience.
    edited December 2013
    Fellow Mac BGers - The latest weidu for OS X (http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Mac-236.zip) ships with the weidu binary lacking "execute" permission. You can fix this manually with a Terminal command:

chmod u+x weidu

If you don't want to have to muck about with the command line, I added a command to the Mac Mod Installer's script to automatically make the WeiDU program executable. Get it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80058200/BG Mac mod installer v2_1_MODIFIED.zip
    mlneveseonan

If you don't want to have to muck about with the command line, I added a command to the Mac Mod Installer's script to automatically make the WeiDU program executable.

Thank you! And a question: Is it possible to use the Mac Mod Installer for BG2EE mods as well?
    edited December 2013
    @onan - Yes, you just need to put it in the appropriate Resources folder.

Usually, your install is at /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/. You should see an app there, named "BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app". Right-click on that, choose "show package contents," and go into /Contents/Resources/. Put the Mac Mod Installer app in that folder.
    onan
    @AstroBryGuy Thank you!
  • Sean631Sean631 Member Posts: 5
    I have been following this chain trying to get the bg2_tweaks mod installed on my mac and I get to the point where the terminal tells me that permission is denied for the setup file.

I do a "Get Info" on the setup file and it tells me that I have Read/Write permission for it.

I have tried the various CHMOD commands in the Terminal and the best that I have gotten is a response from the Terminal that this "Operation is not Permitted"

Any suggestions where to go from here? It looks like I am missing something obvious but I cannot figure out it is.

Thanks,

Sean