Skip to content

What should overhaul do next?

So BG1 and BG2 now both have an enhanced edition.

We will see the inevitable patches in the coming months, but now Overhaul is drifting directionlessly in the black void of post-development uncertainty.

Clearly only you and I can solve this existential dilemma. So what is the answer?

Should they:
1. Continue producing large amounts of post launch content for both games of breathtaking scale?
2. Start enhancing another infinity engine game?
3. Start enhancing another D&D game?
4. Start enhancing another game?
5. Stop enhancing games, and start making their own games which they may or may not be able to enhance another 12 years down the line?
6. Start making Baldur's gate 3?
7. Start making what is basically Baldur's gate 3, but not actually called Baldur's gate 3?
8. Start making an entirely new D&D game?
9. Start making an entirely new rpg?
10. Start making an entirely new game?
11. Something else?

Comments

• SharShar Member Posts: 158
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    Am i going to become boring if i say, get us some new character sprites in whatever way as DLC? :p

Maybe they could do it together with something else and use the assets in both games.

This for upgrading BG through post launch content.

Now in general, i think they should do either of the 2 things below:

1) IF ART ASSETS AVAILABLE(especially for character art, *cough* and see before) then make IWD:EE.

2) If not, then start planning BG3, because i don't see anything else people will care about.
  • maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    number 1 and number 6
    BG3 it has been a dream for many of us I think :)
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    dlc.

I'll pay £5 for a decent dungeon crawl with a few new items.

Or hell just new modules within the existing engine. It seems that the existing interface would work well with that, since you already choose bg1, bg2, black pits etc. Imagine there being 'The Gates Of Bumfluff', or whatever. Simply a professionally made mini adventure based around player level.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    edited November 2013
    I'm torn between 1 2 6 and 8. I'd love to see some dlc (my fairly regular posting in a certain Hexxat thread should be a hint to what I really want) but I'd also like to see Torment:EE and some just plain new games. I'd say do some dlc for BGEE and BG2EE then move on to other projects. But if BG3 does happen, I feel like it can't star our current hero. I think his/her tale is done.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Well, they've been talking about "Adventure Y" for a while now, so I imagine that'll come first (since it's apparently meant to be content for BG:EE). I think @Dee mentioned a while back that they might take another look at integrating "Ascension" further down the line, and I suppose it's also possible they'll start producing DLC party members for both games.

After that? Hmm. Well, the obvious route would be enhancing another Faerun game - "Icewind Dale" being the most logical choice, especially if they could secure the rights to actually get some characters in there.

"Planescape Torment"? That's a very tricky prospect, because its story is so meticulous - every party member has a purpose and a plotline that directly intersects with the protagonist's, so you couldn't drop half a dozen new characters in there. Then again, sticking purely to technical enhancements would probably be an easier job than having to come up with new content, so who knows?
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    They could continue with further content for BGEE and BG2EE. They should perhaps tread with caution in regard to diluting the original experience too much, though. There is still room for further expansion, but there is also a limit (not that I am going to pretend to know what or when it would be) that should be respected.

Turning their gaze towards another game to receive the EE treatment is definitely a possibility, one I would be very interested in. Planescape: Torment! Icewind Dale!

Making their own game is perhaps the greatest of approaches. Whether it's a D&D game, an Infinity Engine game, a Baldur's Gate spiritual sequel without the name, or an entirely fresh RPG, is something only they can best decide. Whatever their course of action, if this was their choice, I would give my backing and my support. The creativity found in The Black Pits and the new NPC's is of a very fine quality, and piques my curiosity concerning a fully fledged game of their own.
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    should make dlc first

would like to see what kind of game they can make that is 100% new content built on the Infinity engine (or a new very similar engine), shouldn't be BG3 tho as expectations for the game would be to big for overhaul to fulfill and I don't think they are ready to make it yet

• JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    it could be that having already enhanced the engine for bg, integrating other infinity games could be a lot easier. In such a case we could get icewind dale and planescape as dlc for the new engine, but without any actual new content.

Though i know nothing about how the infinity engine works so that may be untrue.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    Optional Drow campaign akin to black pits :)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    None of he above.

Fix all the bugs in BGEE and BG2EE FIRST!

Oh right l, that will never happen in any video game. But its funny how a company can 'enhance' an old game like this one while adding so many game breaking bugs that were never present in the original, its like they had absolutely no play testing carried out of the game.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    In order of preference, 1, 2, 8.
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    1, 2 and 7 in order of preference.
    love to see and icewind dale enhanced edition along with dlc for bgee and bg2ee.
    although a new game all together would be cool.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    I would love some DLC for BG2EE, but, only if it is integrated into the main game, not additional content in the style of Black Pits. I like what they did with Black Pits, but I think having extra stuff in the main storyline to do and explore would be far superior, as it integrates seamlessly with the game.

I don't know whether it should be new companions, since they've already added four, but maybe a dungeon crawl akin to Watcher's Keep, or even something in Throne of Bhall to go off and do, to add more life to ToB.
  • AnthedonAnthedon Member Posts: 26
    Joey said:

it could be that having already enhanced the engine for bg, integrating other infinity games could be a lot easier. In such a case we could get icewind dale and planescape as dlc for the new engine, but without any actual new content.

Yeah, don't add stuff to Planescape: Torment. But a compatibility/engine Enhanced Edition would be amazing.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mungri said:

None of he above.

Fix all the bugs in BGEE and BG2EE FIRST!

Oh right l, that will never happen in any video game. But its funny how a company can 'enhance' an old game like this one while adding so many game breaking bugs that were never present in the original, its like they had absolutely no play testing carried out of the game.

Even bigger game than before, lots of different combinations, multiple platforms on top of multiple computer configurations. A lot of people spent their free time play/beta testing it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I say fix bugs in BGEE/BG2EE and then go onto

Icewind Dale 3 (#8)
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013
    1: Make lots and lots of DLC and Expansions for BGII/TOB.

There are a LOT of stories still to tell - gaps between BG1 and BG2, gaps between BG2 and TOB, more DLC characters, Watcher's Keep-style dungeons, etc. They've already done the groundwork with the engine and proven that they can write, so they might as well build up some revenue with some quality downloadable content.

Maybe do a "Season Pass" option to include, say, 2 new NPCs, one 4-hour adventure, and a massive optional dungeon all to be released over time. I've been loving the overwhelming majority of Beamdog's new BG2 content so far and would really like to see more of it.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited November 2013
    1 (Continue producing large amounts of post launch content for both games of breathtaking scale?)
    and 7 (Start making what is basically Baldur's gate 3, but not actually called Baldur's gate 3?)

I'd love to see 1 but they're a business first and with that in mind I don't know whether the additional sales it would generate justifies devoting a ton of resources to it.

With that in mind, if they're going to be making new content I think it would be a better move for them to make the content its own game. I'd rather not have the BG name attached because it comes with all sorts of baggage and no matter how good the game is, there will always be people who complain that it's not worthy of the name. That said, I love the feel and mechanics of BG so I hope any game they choose to make keeps that.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    Dark Sun!
  • jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42
    Torment EE.
  • RaeyaRaeya Member Posts: 6
    I think more enhancements and content for both BG and BG2 should be their primary focus right now. In the future I would really love to see them tackle the job of overhauling NWN if there was ever an opportunity for them to do so.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    1 or 8 ;D
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    HD remake of Unreal Tournament GOTY!!! :D
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    SethDavis said:

HD remake of Unreal Tournament GOTY!!! :D

YES.

• EldrythEldryth Member Posts: 56
    Baldur's Gate 3! After seeing BG2:EE, I certainly trust them to pull it off- and now I'd also like some resolution for the loose ends in the new content.
  • RadwulfRadwulf Member Posts: 49
    Fix bugs and improve UX
    More content; especially companions, kits, item balancing and improved aesthetics
    Release on all platforms: Win/Mac OSX/IOS/Android/Linux

Once these are done Torment:EE would be awesome, but only afterwards.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813

Fix the framerate issues / get an accurate system requirements posted, asap

:)
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    Improve more visual aspects with possibly completely redone art work.
    Release On All Platforms : Android/Linux, iOS/OSX, and Windows.
    Improve Multi-player with general chat rooms along with game post launch chat rooms.
    Icewind Dale I & II : EE.
    Improve AI.
    Create a module standard to incorporate multiple mods created by the community.
    Create Purchasable DLC art that recreates all art for 2.5 and 4k monitors.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I really think they should treat themselves to cheeseburgers with bacon.

Then maybe make some kickass expansion for BGII:EE with an entirely new plot and characters to make what is basically BGIII but not BGIII, circumventing having to use the whole stupid 4th edition.