Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Gamebanshee had a very, very long roundup of all sorts of community questions;

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/112390-project-eternity-social-round-up.html

Relevant to this thread:

Looks amazing! My only (minor) concern is that the individuals inside the room are visible, even though the party is outside of the room, with the door closed. I'm guessing that fog of war/mob detection is not in yet? :)
    "The back end/data for fog of war is implemented, but not the rendering side. Also, if the room were obscured by fog of war, that would be a pretty crummy screenshot. "
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Drugar said:

"The back end/data for fog of war is implemented, but not the rendering side. Also, if the room were obscured by fog of war, that would be a pretty crummy screenshot. "

The "back end fog of war" eh...? I create my own back end fog of war all the time.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    I hope Sawyer is not responsible for NPCs. He voiced his dislike of BG2 NPCs, the heretic...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    New posting regarding ciphers

------------------------

Cipher Mechanics

Contemporary ciphers are fighting casters, like the Glanfathan "mind hunters" who invented the discipline. When engaged in physical combat, they use an Ability called Soul Whip to contact and drain the psyches of their targets. Recognizable by the purple flames that engulf a cipher's weapons, Soul Whip generates a Focus resource that ciphers can use to power their abilities. Though ciphers begin combat with a modest amount of Focus, their more advanced techniques demand large expenditures of Focus. Additionally, repeated uses of even minor powers will quickly drain a cipher's Focus, requiring them to dive into physical combat to generate more.

Cipher powers are not limited to mental manipulation. They have abilities that allow them to use a target's soul energy to "leak" and burst into flame, to generate a physical shockwave of that knocks down everyone behind the target, or even to bend back toward the cipher, creating a field of protective energy around him or her.

With the exception of Soul Whip, all cipher powers require Focus and a nearby target other than themselves, one with a "housed" soul. In practical terms, this means that ciphers must always target a nearby ally or an enemy with their powers. It is impossible for them to target themselves, a distant target, or open ground.

Here is a sampling of some of the cipher's abilities:

Soul Whip (Modal) - At close range, the cipher's weapons generate fields of parasitic energy that lash out at a target's soul. The Soul Whip mode reduces the amount of damage caused, but each successful hit briefly lowers the target's Psyche defense and generates Focus for the cipher (attacks Psyche).
    Mind Wave - The cipher violently intrudes into an enemy's mind, Stunning the target (attacks Psyche) and generating a cone of concussive force behind him or her that can knock down anyone in its path (attacks Fortitude).
    Soul Shock - The cipher causes an ally's soul to "crack" and violently release energy into the physical world. The resulting explosion of electrical (Shock) energy damages everyone nearby except the target (attacks Reflexes).
    Psychovampiric Shield - The cipher drains Intellect from enemies and uses it to temporarily increase his or her Deflection. The increase in the cipher's Deflection is dependent on how much Intellect he or she successfully drains from victims (attacks Psyche).
    Mind Blades - The cipher uses the souls of nearby enemies to generate attacks against the subjects themselves. Each target is attacked once by a slashing "mind blade" which then moves on to the next nearest enemy up to a maximum of five targets (attacks Deflection).
    Recall Agony - The cipher causes the target to re-experience the pain of a wound moments after the target originally suffered it. The damage is a percentage of the original value, but it ignores the armor of the target (attacks Psyche).
    Ectopsychic Echo - The cipher and an ally generate a bolt of psychic energy that periodically rebounds between them, causing Crush damage to anyone caught in the area (attacks Reflexes).

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64452-update-65-ciphers/
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Mindhunters was a pretty good movie.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    Screenshots and videos look cool but I have doubts about quality and quantity of npc companions.
    I read that we can both create party members at start and get companions afterwards but Devs seem to favor pregenerated parties like in icewind dale.
    I hope they make some decent story and creatures at least.
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    zerckan said:

Screenshots and videos look cool but I have doubts about quality and quantity of npc companions.

Your concern seems to be unfounded. They've stated that the reason there's relatively few companions is exactly because they wish to add more depth and reactivity to each of them so quality shouldn't be a problem.
    zerckan said:

but Devs seem to favor pregenerated parties like in icewind dale.

This is also not true. Adventurer's Hall is there to give you an additional option of adding npc's of your own choosing. Kinda like some people play parties in BG through multiplayer. The game is still geared for a single protagonist.

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2013
    We have no info on release date yet btw, i wonder if summer 2014 is a probable time for release. On their kickstarter they said april 2014, but yeah, fat chance of that happening.
    Mornmagor said:

We have no info on release date yet btw, i wonder if summer 2014 is a probable time for release. On their kickstarter they said april 2014, but yeah, fat chance of that happening.

Could be. It would be nice if we could also get an update for the game. Its almost a month since the last one :(
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Let's see...

-BGEE
    -BG2EE
    -Eternity
    -Torment

Is all this just a wonderful dream? If it is, please don't wake up! :D
    melakon said:

zerckan said:

Your concern seems to be unfounded. They've stated that the reason there's relatively few companions is exactly because they wish to add more depth and reactivity to each of them so quality shouldn't be a problem.
    zerckan said:

but Devs seem to favor pregenerated parties like in icewind dale.

This is also not true. Adventurer's Hall is there to give you an additional option of adding npc's of your own choosing. Kinda like some people play parties in BG through multiplayer. The game is still geared for a single protagonist.

I've searched about quality part and it seems the guy in charge of npcs is devoted enough so hopefuly quality will be fine. I hope they increase the quantity as well. I'd rather choose among 15 good quality npcs instead of 5 great quality.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If this fails to deliver (and I sincerely hope it doesn't) will we ever see a successful isometric rpg again?
    edited October 2013
    Well, i think it will be a successful isometric rpg.
    Maybe there will be some aspects some of us won't like but it will be fine.
    I've read that a single attribute governs all damage type bonuses.
    Damage of a two-handed sword and a magic missile boosted by the same attribute.
    Tbh it looks weird but it's speculated that attributes will have something to do with the soul of the person and it will somehow make sense.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    ajwz said:

If this fails to deliver (and I sincerely hope it doesn't) will we ever see a successful isometric rpg again?

If Eternity and Wasteland 2 fail to deliver, Kickstarter games and isometric party RPG's will have a very tough time ahead.
    I don't think they'll suck though. I really hope they won't.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Wouldn't it be cool to make BG3 in the Project Eternity engine?

No
    The project eternity engine is a stock 3d engine. BG3 in 3d is NWN.
    Judging by the gameplay footage of Wasteland 2 and the screenshots of Project Eternity, you really jumped the gun with your assumptions, here. Neither game is shaping up to be anything like NWN. If anything, they look a lot like Fallout1&2/BG1&2
    New screenshot

you are now painfully aware that the road leads straight into a wall next to the gate rather than the gate itself
  • 500MetricTonnes500MetricTonnes Member Posts: 8
    You know, I'm so glad that the screenshots for this game are bright and colourful. I'm sick to death of all the "gritty" brown and grey-coloured games released these days.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2013
    I am sure there will be plenty of grey alongside the green. a perfect world just wouldn't be fun! looks nice though other than that road that I noticed before seeing the comment under the picture.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    That screenshot reminds a bit of Sacred, it has the same style colors and architecture.
    If you ever wanted to know about video game design...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64611-update-67-whats-in-a-game/
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    Here are some more slides from a presentation that Obsidian made. Just scroll down to see some more awesome screenshots.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019755/Gathering-Your-Party-with-Project
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

VikingR said:

A new screenshot :)

Looking great, brave warriors, but they need to fix the bug in the screenshot.

One should not be able to see into any room when the doors are closed.

It could be an equivalent of the "Farsight" spell in action ;)
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited November 2013
    Ok, that looks gorgeous
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited November 2013
    After see those screenshots , who can tell me the graphic is not really important ?
    BG is legendary RPG game , but after 13 years , i believe all the people desire we can see HD version of BG-EE
    We all know the art asset had lost , but we can pay the money , just show the HD to us ?
    If beamdog really want to make profit , please release it within one year.... or 6 months .. sounds good,
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063

I'd really like to see those town screens as a full screen shot, rather than pasted with all those other smaller ones together.

Bummer.

me too :/
    I love the world map
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    It looks extremely good so far, i wonder when it will be ready though.

They are supposed to finish it spring 2014.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    darrenkuo said:

After see those screenshots , who can tell me the graphic is not really important ?

I think what people mostly mean with that is that "expensive modern CGI is not really important". It's not the graphics, it's the style.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Chow said:

darrenkuo said:

I think what people mostly mean with that is that "expensive modern CGI is not really important". It's not the graphics, it's the style.
    Yup, although you'll always have idiots who support some ugly ass game and refer to anyone who criticizes said ugliness as "shallow." This isn't literature. Video games are a visual medium. Visuals are important. Part of the reason the BG games have stood the test of time so far is that they are still aesthetically pleasing.