Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    Considering fire magic it would make you a walking oven doing both direct damage and dot damage unless of course you had a spell like sweat, but you don't often run into a heavy armor mage.

Considering metals are good conductors you would take more direct electrical damage and would likely be struck during lightning storms. With a chance that the damage spreads to other plate wearers in the party.

If there were spells like quicksand or earthquake you would take weight and dexterity penalties when trying to avoid or escape each.
    The same penalties could be attributed to traps and pressure plates.

These things would all be taken into consideration in an advanced game.

Bullet prof vests can be pierced by arrows defeating there use in such a setting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLRymWv-CA
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Planescape Torment has pretty much no armor at all yet I (and many others) think it's a fantastic game.

I guess I find it very strange to think of full plate armor as being a key requirement for a game. But I guess everyone has different things they really want from a game.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Well, Planescape Torment was also about as far away from a medieval era than you get, without going outright scifi.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    There are fire resistance armors and electrical resistance armors, and there could just as well be piercing resistant armors. Get hit by lightning all you want when you wear Blue Dragon Plate.

This is a fantasy game, anything goes.

Planescape had no armor because of budget reasons, there were plans for armor initially, but they had to be custom made for the Nameless One and other NPCs, since they have unique sprites. It still is a fantastic game, but in no way it is medieval. It's a planescape setting, that has enough steampunk elements as well.

And yeah, different strokes for different folks. I happen to like full plate.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Considering metals are good conductors you would take more direct electrical damage and would likely be struck during lightning storms. With a chance that the damage spreads to other plate wearers in the party.

Actually, I think full plate plate armor might act like a Faraday cage, meaning that person inside would be protected from shock, and all the electricity would just flow through the armor to ground. The armor could get pretty hot though, depending on how much current we're talking about.
    Mornmagor said:

Planescape had no armor because of budget reasons, there were plans for armor initially, but they had to be custom made for the Nameless One and other NPCs, since they have unique sprites. It still is a fantastic game, but in no way it is medieval. It's a planescape setting, that has enough steampunk elements as well.

Really? The way I heard it was that they were basically trying to eschew as many high-fantasy tropes as possible, and (traditional) armor was one of them.
    Well, i can't say 100% surely that it was because of budget, but then again, all the weapons in the game looked like a dagger or an axe, one handed, and there were no shields.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Had they been able to implement armour, it likely wouldn't have been the standard DnD/"Epic Fantasy" tropes, though.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    lordkim said:

It reminds me of Diablo II, but a lot more brighter :P
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Love it already :)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    look like they finally have a title :)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Also remember that you can still get in on the backing action through the updated website. I think you can even customize your pledge afterwards like those who backed during the KS campaign.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    And a fresh new interview with Josh Sawyer.. http://gamebanshee.com/interviews/112830-pillars-of-eternity-interview.html - great stuff.
    Can't say I'm too fond of the music, though.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Spell animations are still not good enough. That Fireball was pretty bad (both spell and animation of people flying away). I also don't like what I read in interviews where only your character talks to NPCs. After so many years, and what they implemented in Storm of Zehir (where all party members can influence the conversation if they have good social skills) they still make this stupid design decision.
    edited December 2013
    I can't say i'm impressed when i see it in action, unfortunetely.

It does give a nostalgic vibe, but that's it. So far, at least.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2013
    Some more stuff (interviews, impressions, etc.)..

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/10/mega-impressions-obsidians-pillars-of-eternity/

I especially like this..
    We want to make it feel like, if you were sitting at a table with a DM, you’d say, ‘Hey, my dude has 20 strength. I want to fuckin’ push that thing over.’
    and what Sawyer says about sneaking.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2071422/obsidians-project-eternity-is-exactly-the-nostalgia-dose-you-ordered.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVV2teZErUg
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    Chow said:

I thought it was reminiscent of the Myst IV: Revelation soundtrack. Not a bad thing as far as I am concerned.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    SPOILERS

Obsidian has, in fact, not succeeded in securing the rights to use Nobuo Uematsu's "Eternity" in every battle
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    Chow said:

If the music used in the trailer is in fact from the game, I agree with you.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited December 2013
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    elminster said:
    No, it was in response to the poster above me, who created an entirely new thread in the BG General Forum for that trailer. I was pointing him in the right direction.
    Fablewynd said:

If the music used in the trailer is in fact from the game, I agree with you.

Can't know anything of that yet. But trailers are supposed to give an impression of the game, and the music is no exception.
    Why would it be in the artwork if it weren't in the game?

Personally, I am likewise rather creeped-out by it, but it's the good sort of ickiness and I'd like to actually see it and do something with it.

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.