Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    is there anything of pillar of eternity classes yet? i like to make up my mind long in advance so on release day I just put the character together and play, like I spent my last hours of ESO beta looking at the classes and decided, if I get it, to play a templar.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

is there anything of pillar of eternity classes yet? i like to make up my mind long in advance so on release day I just put the character together and play, like I spent my last hours of ESO beta looking at the classes and decided, if I get it, to play a templar.

I think this is probably going to be your best bet for class information. It gets updated regularly as more information appears about the game.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Class
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    elminster said:

I think this is probably going to be your best bet for class information. It gets updated regularly as more information appears about the game.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Class
    thx. i guess it is a little early to be expecting detailed information, but I like what I am getting from the description for the cipher, paladin, ranger, and rogue. i will likely be staring at abilities for hours whenever they finally have detailed information though. i do not like spending too much time making a character when I finally have the game so I do it before:)
    Nice to see them take a bit of a different approach to the undead.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    elminster said:

Nice to see them take a bit of a different approach to the undead.

Reminds me of Being Human. (the SyFy rendition, not UK)

Sally gets brought back to life, and pretty much goes into the same zombification as detailed in Pillars of Eternity. She has to eat live flesh to stop decomposing, and it's really really hard to resist.

Still, it's not such a bad similarity. It's a good concept, and I do like that they list the different stages of decomposing, and that they tie it in to skeletons.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Whew i´m glad about no romances. This kills off any discussion who should with whom and when and why not male on male etc...

So thanks for that, that was wise my friend!

Project Eternity is number one RPG i´m looking forward too.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I expect someone will mod romances in the game shortly after release...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Brace yourselves, Fanfiction is coming.
    jackjack said:

Brace yourselves, Fanfiction is coming.

All the Mary and Marty Sue you could ever hope for! :p
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    This thread is now my default page, and I will sacrifice a few demivirgins to @Shandyr for tipping me off to it. Never even read the OT forum until a certain thread got moved there.

On topic, I do like the idea of not having romances, because romances tend to make me play whipped charnames. I can't really respond the way I want to because I want my charname to get their virtual boobies at any cost.

I mean, you wish you could make Aerie like you for making her stop whining.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Out of interest, has there been any mention of module creation tools or moddability for Pillars of Eternity? It's looking very promising indeed, but I do love tinkering with editor programs.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I've played BG2 since day one and never completed a romance. I've heard you can have a kid or whatever. But whatever, I must be doing it wrong and if I'm doing it wrong, I don't want to be right because I enjoy the game as is.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I actually loved the romance with Jaheira. I didn't know beans about it, but it worked for me (only played BG2 once). Anyway, I can easily do without it, though. :)
    (about Update #74)

I've probably cast too many spells through my gaming career to be amazed by a description of what one can do, so I didn't drop my jaw reading about the wizard spells (though I wasn't disappointed either). But I do like the concept of low level spells becoming more and more trivial to cast the higher level the wizard is; once per rest, and then once per encounter, and then whenever the hell you want. Maybe a bit of a shame that it implies a combat toggle though, but I am not sure if that is news.

I also think lorewise they struck a nice balance between mystery and logic. I mean, if magic is as explainable as chemistry it's no longer magic, but if it's not based on logic then why do wizards need intelligence? They conjured up some fine paragraphs about the mechanics while still leaving the exact specifics a mystery.

And lastly I happened to envision a high level wizard as a walking library.
    edited March 2014
    Druids having to pick a shapeshift form at character creation doesn't appeal at all to me. I get that you'll get more forms over time but it just seems too restrictive to me.
    I'm seeing mentions of attack rolls and saving throws. What are your impressions; is the game going to be as RNG heavy as BG? I'm not at all sentimental about the binary results that system brings.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The ARM thing was a decent April fools joke.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I bought the idea of a code wheel, because it seemed plausible. :)

The old SSI Gold Box Pool of Radiance game shipped with one, and it was the coolest thing. It wasn't just in-game security checks that made it useful, but you could decode maps and journal entries with the wheel when you came across it while playing the game.

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    edited April 2014
    Everyone interested in this game, don't miss listening to the music from PoE:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NFYv7JhV5Lc

To me, this sounds (pun intended) very nice! 4 minutes of pleasure to my ears;) It somehow sounds indeed IWD-ish.

From the Devs: "Music will always loop, but it will be longer in areas where the player spends a lot of time (like quest hubs) and shorter in areas where the player doesn’t (like some dungeons)".

https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-76-music-in-pillars-of-eternity-
    Ha, @elminster‌

That one made me think of the "dam breaking" map in IWD2. Anyone who disagrees needs to see their shrink!!!1

Also it's sexy.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    elminster said:

I like this one

What'll be interesting with this one is, when they add the dynamic water effects to it.
    I wonder if they'll make the waves lap the beach like a real ocean front.
    Or better yet, make the tides rise and fall relative to a lunar timescale.

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

elminster said:

I like this one

What'll be interesting with this one is, when they add the dynamic water effects to it.
    I wonder if they'll make the waves lap the beach like a real ocean front.
    Or better yet, make the tides rise and fall relative to a lunar timescale.

Yeah. YEAH!

And as the water pulls back during low tide, you can explore those large boulders and the sand around them. It's there you might come across a drawing on one side of a boulder that has a drawn map leading to some place you haven't found yet!

Or a passage that winds its way down that you can enter and adventure within, but only for as long as low tide is around because when high tide returns, the passage gets flooded with water again!

OMG!

Can't wait!

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    elminster said:

I like this one

Dat ocean! I'd love it if the engine allowed for actual swimming, diving, and sailing. Giving that there's a semi-aquatic player race with sailor culture and all that. But sadly, I doubt such great things will be implemented in the end product...
  • OxvaOxva Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 80
    @Kamigoroshi That would be really, really nice. Most probably it is not going to happen, which is quite sad. However, if the game will be mod friendly, we can expect horrendous amount of new stuff. I'm sure of it. With every screenshot I'm getting more inpatient. Damn, it looks so good.