Skip to content

NPC vs NPC can it be halted?

SO the way my party is set up, I could greatly use Ajantis with his bastard sword proficency (I have Dorn however) OR Yeslick because he's a pretty good priest who is mixed with a fighter (But I have Kagain). Is it possible with a high charisma stat or something or other that I can keep them from fighting? Or is it just a percentage chance for them to fight? OR do they just EVENTUALLY battle it out no matter what?

It would really suck if it isn't possible, and make me even more upset with how useless the charisma stat is.......

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    In my experience, the fighting seem to happen at random times. If they fight I just reload and they don't fight anymore.
    ChildofBhaal599
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Awong124 said:

In my experience, the fighting seem to happen at random times. If they fight I just reload and they don't fight anymore.

this. high charisma decreases chances so that you don't need to reload often if ever. there is that early 18 charisma ring you could use
  • keuunnykeuunny Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2013

Awong124 said:

this. high charisma decreases chances so that you don't need to reload often if ever. there is that early 18 charisma ring you could use
    Not if it's BG1EE as the topic creator is playing. I thought R Of human influence wasn't in BG1?

(Correct me if I'm wrong please)
    Loldrup
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    In my game, I had a fight break out.

Ajantis attacks Viconia

For me, though, the characters remained controlled by me and, since Vicci's AC is almost SOA good (-8, I think), she was unharmed (she can't hit him, either). They broke into another fight later and I did the same thing. I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or a bug. Anyway, that's how I kept the party intact.

As for why Ajantis? I'm trying him out. Hate his voice set - it's apparently an attempt at humor gone horribly wrong. Good news is
    you get to kill him in BG2
    XavioriaMontresor_SP
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Xavioria said:

SO the way my party is set up, I could greatly use Ajantis with his bastard sword proficency (I have Dorn however) OR Yeslick because he's a pretty good priest who is mixed with a fighter (But I have Kagain). Is it possible with a high charisma stat or something or other that I can keep them from fighting? Or is it just a percentage chance for them to fight? OR do they just EVENTUALLY battle it out no matter what?

It would really suck if it isn't possible, and make me even more upset with how useless the charisma stat is.......

If you don't mind spoilers, check out this guide for NPC conflicts (original BG1 NPCs):

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/bg_npc_conflicts.php
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I don't think it's possible to stop the fights. I recently had a weird experience with it...

I wanted to just get Khalid, Jaheira, Xzar and Monty to Nashkel to complete their quest before kicking them out. So I removed all their weapons, because I knew they liked to kill eachother. About 2 minutes later Khalid started an argument, which led to a 2 v 2 fist fight...

They were all automatically removed from my party as the fight started... So Imoen and me just stood and watched them punch eachother for about 10 minutes. Eventually Zxar and Monty kept getting knocked unconscious, but the fight still wouldn't end. I couldn't speak to any of them either.

I even tried leaving the zone and resting in an inn, but each time I came back they were still fighting...

Then I tried charming Khalid and Jaheira and moving them away from the unconscious Xzar and Monty. Once they were far enough away I was able to speak to them again, but they acted like I'd just booted them from my party.

So I recruited Khalid and Jaheira back into my party, but it still wasn't over... each time I went near Zxar or Monty the fight would start all over again.
    AmeerHMLoldrup
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think the more fixed enemies...so Jaheira/Khalid vs Xzar and montaron, Tiax vs Quayle, Yeslick vs Kagain, and Minsc/Dynaheir vs Edwin do involve them leaving your party. I think when it comes to for instance Ajantis wanting to kill an evil character its more general (less specific) so you can still control both NPC's.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    thanks for the insight guys. It's odd that I can't choose a perfect sixth party member. I also hate Paladins for this reason, their too goody goody. I suppose it's just not in the nature of good to compromise
  • yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2016
    I think I have succeeded by moving the target party member away at the very start of the fight, and then the aggressor cools down after a while.

/A.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited September 2016
    If you have Xan in the party, he can sometimes talk Ajantis down when he gets on his slay-evil high-horse :D
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    You mean you've managed to keep Xan in the party without something sneezing on him? That's all it takes, after all.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    You can. But you need to keep the party separated.

The characters only banter with each other if they are close to one another, they also wont banter if you keep them moving.

So if you stop moving, send opposing factions to different corners of the screen (doesn't really need to be that far, a couple of steps does it) to prevent the banter from materializing.
    JuliusBorisovmf2112
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    I've had Ajantis attack Edwin before (no surprise there). Luckily he didn't even get a swing in before he cooled down (they were a few paces away from each other at the time). I wonder what the actual game mechanics are here but it hasn't really affected me much.

Besides, if someone gets killed you can always just resurrect them. Kinda like this thread...
    JuliusBorisov
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Why halt it?

One of the best things in BG are the NPC's personalities. It includes things that we don't want them to do.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited September 2016
    Agreed.
    But, in my case, it puts an unnecessary crimp in my plans of entertaining a fireball-wielding psychopath (every party needs one, IMHO). Unless of course, the PC takes it upon himself to be the 'light at the end of the tunnel.' Even then, I would still argue that Edwin is worth keeping around for anecdotal reasons alone, which ties in nicely to the value of NPC's personalities.