Skip to content

BGII:EE 1.2.2030 (11-20-2013)

Comments

• TheEvilYouKnowTheEvilYouKnow Member Posts: 4
    How did I update before without issue?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This was the first update for BGII:EE, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Unless you were also using Shadowkeeper with BG:EE, in which case I don't know; maybe you didn't make the hard link with BG:EE.
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    @Jalily I'm afraid that did not change anything. The launcher did a file check, and then it turned out the same as before.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    You know @Dee I've seen a lot of people loosing saves etc. Maybe there should be a message before applying the update that people should for safety reasons back up saves.
    There's already a message before you apply the update stating that any changes to the game's installation directory will be lost. But really, you shouldn't be making hard links to your installation folder in the first place.
    Sylvus_MoonbowThacoBellSpaceInvader
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited November 2013
    Dee said:

This was the first update for BGII:EE, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Unless you were also using Shadowkeeper with BG:EE, in which case I don't know; maybe you didn't make the hard link with BG:EE.

@Dee
    Before patch 1.2, a BG:EE patch would not remove any file from the installation folder for regular users (but apparently it did for beta testers). The patch would simply replace the relevant files (mainly biffs and dialog.tlk) with the new ones, leaving anything else untouched. This behaviour has been modified starting with patch 1.2, and now the installation folder is erased for regular users as well as for beta testers.

Furthermore, now even simply repairing your installation will erase these files (including files like, for example, setup-WeiduMod.exe, etc.).

Is there any chance that the old behaviour could be restored ? If not for the patches, at least when one repairs his own installation ?

I'm asking because I tend to repair often my installation when I writing or testing a mod, and having to repeatedly make a backup of all the files in my game folder is becoming a chore.

However, if you have reasons to keep things as they are now, I will totally understand.
    Post edited by Erg on
    If you want to keep your override folder intact, you can place it in the Documents\Baldur's Gate directory and it will still work, and it won't be erased by the updater. When you clean your installation, though, it needs to clear out the entire folder. Partly this is for troubleshooting purposes--if the problem with your game is that you have a bad mod installed, "Repair Install" needs to be able to fix that.
    AldericAyiekieDarksheer
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Dee: Regarding the placement of the version number: May I suggest that you put it in the upper right corner of the first real game screen, i.e. the one that has SoA on the left, ToB in the middle and BP2 on the right. Or, at the very least, the upper right corner of the Options screen available from the aforementioned screen.

Generally: your quick, concise and considerate answers are very much appreciated.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited November 2013
    Dee said:

If you want to keep your override folder intact, you can place it in the Documents\Baldur's Gate directory and it will still work, and it won't be erased by the updater. When you clean your installation, though, it needs to clear out the entire folder. Partly this is for troubleshooting purposes--if the problem with your game is that you have a bad mod installed, "Repair Install" needs to be able to fix that.

@Dee
    The override is the only folder that I don't need to preserve :)
    After the patch, its content would be obsolete anyway.

There is no need however for a patch or repair to remove WeiDU installers and such, i.e. any file or folder that
    1) is located outside of the override folder
    2) doesn't belong directly to the game

The old behaviour was better IMO, because all the relevant files would be replaced with the original and/or patched version, de facto removing all changes done by mods, except for the content of the override folder.

So maybe, as a compromise, the patch/repair could delete all files inside the override folder, but not the ones outside unless they are replaced because they belong to the game.

Is what I'm proposing even possible?
    Post edited by Erg on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Dee said:

Most of the items noted above will affect existing saved games as long as you haven't already encountered the issue they resolve. If your game has already encountered the issue, you'll need to start a new game for the issue to be fixed.

There are some exceptions (the memory leak is fixed for existing saves, for example), but that's a good "rule of thumb".

There is an exception to this exception: if a save was corrupted because of the leak, it will stay corrupted (areas reset).
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Is there going to be a similar patch for BG1EE, or were most of these BG2 issues?
  • MajiinfreddyMajiinfreddy Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    Did this patch fix the Game-breaking bug that reset Everything you've done in the game?
    Ie, Chapter 1 suddenly.
    (Haven't had time to check it out yet!)
    So, can I quick-save now? :pp

Also, Where are my extra sound files + pictures I got in BG1EE from a DLC? O_O
  • ManchildKartManchildKart Member Posts: 208
    My version still seems to be 1.2.0000, is there any way to force an update? I tried deleting 791.beam and 791.status but to no avail.
  • sam381sam381 Member Posts: 2
    Where is the link to download the patch?
  • RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    @sam381 Open the BG2EE launcher. Click "Apply Update"

@Majiinfreddy The update erases any changes to the install folder made before the update was applied. Those files are gone, but you can easily replace them from whatever originals you have.
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    Thank you Dee, it worked!
  • TheDuchyTheDuchy Member Posts: 2
    So I am trying to install the update on my Mac, and the installer is getting stuck at 80-90% finished. I can't open the game at all, and I've tried leaving the download running for several hours with no effect.
    13 inch, 2.5GHz Into Core i5, and I'm running Lion 10.7.5
  • MorteluneMortelune Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone

Nice to see this new update
    But as soon as I've downloaded it the game doesn't run anymore asking for a OPENal32.dll files that now miss and asking to reinstall the game
    Do someone here know how I could fix this or got the same problem ?
    thank you
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    edited November 2013

So, your patch erased all of my saves. A week worth of progress gone. Thanks for that.

I'm not sure if it makes you feel any better, but you're not the only person to have been impacted by this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22821/omfg-patch-wiped-out-my-save-directory-careful-guys-if-you-use-hard-links/p1

• marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Even though it wasn't called out in the patch notes, I had a veiled hope that Watcher's Keep would magically appear back on my game map with this patch. No such luck. :/
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    #7032: Neera's "Wooden Horse Necklace" is now properly treated as a magical protection item.
    haha luckily my bard already had it equiped with his melodic chain, guess he wont be changing outfit anytime soon
  • MasacruAlexMasacruAlex Member Posts: 9
    i've a few mods like banter packs, assassinations, and I've got to chapter 3, spent a lot, is it worth it to install this patch assuming what it gives? Or should I continue playing like I am now? I had no crashes or such issues so far or any game breaking bugs or bugs at all.
    Still haven't found a way to update. Baldur.exe just goes straight into the game and the Beamdog launcher doesn't seem to download any update.

Still haven't found a way to update. Baldur.exe just goes straight into the game and the Beamdog launcher doesn't seem to download any update.

Hail and well met, brave warrior @ManchildKart,

The Beamdog Client will have a little + on the right side of the Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition listing in your game collection.

Click the + button to download and apply the update.
    All I see is the play button. I'm starting to suspect that the press version doesn't get updates like the normal version does.

Hail and well met, brave warrior @ManchildKart,

The Beamdog Client will have a little + on the right side of the Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition listing in your game collection.

Click the + button to download and apply the update.
    All I see is the play button. I'm starting to suspect that the press version doesn't get updates like the normal version does.
    That's correct. When we push an update, we push it to the live "store" version for Windows, Mac, and Steam (and AppStore, though that takes a little longer). If you want to send me an email (dpennyway@beamdog.com) I can have someone look at updating the press version as well.
    Sylvus_MoonbowEudaemonium
  • darkvador44darkvador44 Member Posts: 2
    thanks
  • CapozzzCapozzz Member Posts: 8
    how do I download the patch? Where is the link?
  • CapozzzCapozzz Member Posts: 8
    found it :p
    jackjack
  • sam381sam381 Member Posts: 2
    I installed the update. I didn't play too much but I did notice that the options screen graphic is messed up. Also on the inventory screen many of the slots like weapon slot have weird images in them until I put armor on or whatever then the correct icon is there. It is only when they are empty they have weird icons.

I also noticed like many are saying that all my save a screwed up after this update. Mainly getting the error code when I hover over some mod created character names and the 'assassination' mod characters and all their dialog is totally screwed up. But if I create new character and start over the dialog is OK.

Luckily I only just started but if I have to reinstall all mods and lose all saves every time there is a little bug fix update I am going to wait a while to play it again,
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    R.E.P.S.E.C.T.!
This discussion has been closed.