Skip to content

Really? No Whovians in the House?

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
In a little over 2 hours, the BBC will broadcast the 50th Anniversary episode of Doctor Who, complete with 3 Doctors, a cute companion and Daleks amongst other villains.

I was pretty sure I'd find a excited thread in Off-Topic by now. I am not particularly hardcore (only started watching with Matt Smith's Doctor, and was initially drawn in by Amy Pond. lol) But 50 years?! FIFTY years! That's absolutely amazing for a Sci-fi show about a man with a police box that flies through space and time and fights aliens that have bathroom plungers for arms! I just felt it had to be marked in some way in this forum!

Anyways I hope the episode lives up to expectations. :)
CrevsDaakNonnahswriterelminsterBelgarathMTHRnRClowndunbar

Comments

• AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    I don't have BBC, I'll just but the episode off itunes tomorrow
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'm pretty damn excited, but I don't think my apartment gets BBC.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited November 2013
    I just watched it. The damn DVR recorded the pre-show, but not the real thing. Grrrrrrr......
    I'm a big factor who fan. Started with Matt smith, and will be sad to see him go.
    If your confused by the show, just think of it as magic, not science. This helps a lot.
    CrevsDaakHeindrich
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Yeah it was AWESOME :D

I love Steven Moffat as a writer, like a British Joss Whedan, or is Joss Whedan an American Steven Moffat? lol
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    LiamEsler said:

ARGH IT WAS SO GOOD

^ This. All of this. THIS!! :D
    CrevsDaak
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Aliens that have bathroom plungers as arms? ...Uhh, ok...
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    Arrrrrrr ... I wanted to like it, and it was an ok episode ... but it didn't knock my socks off.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    was pretty good I thought would have like to see paul mcgann get a cameo tho ending was pretty epic
    You guys know what would be cool? If an episode celebrating a 50th anniversary had more actors than from the last 7 years.
    Just a thought
    edited November 2013
    Almateria said:

You guys know what would be cool? If an episode celebrating a 50th anniversary had more actors than from the last 7 years.
    Just a thought

You missed Tom Baker, then? And the minisode with Paul McGann?

And besides, most of actors from the old days are very old and no longer look the part anymore. Colin Baker looks like an entirely different person these days, for example.
    element said:

was pretty good I thought would have like to see paul mcgann get a cameo tho ending was pretty epic

He got a whole mini-episode to himself? Better than a cameo.
    element
    Miniepisodes are a pretty bad way to part with the longest-playing Doctor, you know. I didn't even know it existed until I checked something yesterday. I didn't know any of the mini-episodes existed, jesus. Are they broadcasted anywhere?
    Almateria said:

Just a thought

Aside from general ageing, the most famous companion is sadly dead in real life.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I thought it was AWESOME !

The bunny stole the show IMHO.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    It was good to see my Tennant again. Looking forward to christmas!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Arrrrrrr ... I wanted to like it, and it was an ok episode ... but it didn't knock my socks off.

This would be my feeling toward it as well.
    edited November 2013
    elminster said:

This would be my feeling toward it as well.
    The ending was too predictable. They find a loophole, and win in the end. Hurt's doctor should have had to press the button. They never really explained how that worked, did they?
    it depends on what they do next. What it implies is that now the doctor is trying to right his past wrongs, save gallifry. That could be good.
    I wonder what there going to do with Clara, who her other person is going to be. She needs an earth freind soon. (Like Amy had Rory, rose had Micky.)
    I'm liking Clara.
    meagloth said:

The ending was too predictable. They find a loophole, and win in the end. Hurt's doctor should have had to press the button. They never really explained how that worked, did they?

@meagloth
    My first impression was to agree with you. The real world has no convenient loop-holes to find a happy ending, so I found that ending a bit of a cop-out, especially with the Daleks
    blowing themselves up by shooting through the planet. I mean surely a significant proportion of the fleet would survive despite some friendly fire.
    That said,
    Gallifrey is not exactly saved, it's trapped as a single moment in a parallel universe, so it is still a death of sorts.

My favourite Dr Who episodes are the ones that have some depth, and examine really difficult issues. Like "The Girl Who Waited" was absolutely heartbreaking, and I was genuinely kinda angry with the Doctor about quickly he seemed to have got over it in the 'monster of the week' style. Amy's fate in that episode is actually way more tragic than in her actual last episode, which was only difficult for the Doctor from a selfish perspective cos he'd never see her again.

However, I get the feeling that modern shows are filled with nitty-gritty morality and dark realism. I've been watching Game of Thrones and Homeland, and after all that darkness, it is kinda refreshing to see a more idealised protagonist and more happy endings.
    Nonnahswriterbooinyoureyes
    oh man that was actually so good i rescind all of my complaints
    i can't believe moffat did something good what's going on
    even tennat was good ahhh
    Almateria said:

even tenant was good?
    What does that mean?
    meagloth said:

Almateria said:

even tenant was good?
    What does that mean?
    meagloth said:

Almateria said:

even tenant was good?
    What does that mean?
    Yeah, I know, sounds ridiculous with what he's done with the role taken into consideration, but he really was great this time
    I think it's the combination of there being no Rose and no RTD
    Almateria said:

meagloth said:

Almateria said:

even tenant was good?
    What does that mean?
    Yeah, I know, sounds ridiculous with what he's done with the role taken into consideration, but he really was great this time
    I think it's the combination of there being no Rose and no RTD
    RTD.....should I know what that is?
    I never liked rose.
    Russell T, the Davis, the awful man producing series 1-4 and Torchwood
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    My daughter and I are both fans, her more than me. Unfortunately we're both a bit scatty, so we missed it. I can't see any replays on BBC either. Aaargh!
    Also p. much everyone should watch The Five(ish) Doctors, it owns hugely
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I recorded the 50th anniversary episode, but I need to get through season seven before watching!

I watched Doctor Who religiously from whence Christopher Eccelston saw The Doctor back on our screens. I was impressed with his run. David Tennant was also great Doctor. I watched every episode of every season, and every special. Matt Smith was next, and after a few episodes of his debut season I inconceivably lost interest. It was a hard act to follow after Tennant and Russell T. Davies. It is only recently that I came back to give the Smith and Moffat era another chance. Smith grew on me. I like his version of The Doctor. He's a good actor. The writing has often been lacking, though. I found myself yawning during more of seasons five and six than any other. It's been Doctor Who continuity and the brilliant Matt Smith that have kept me watching.

Steven Moffat wrote some of my favorite episodes previously, whilst working under Russell T. Davies. So it certainly wasn't an expected turn of events to be yawning during his reign at the helm.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2013

@The_Potty_1

I don't think anyone outside the UK can watch stuff on BBC iplayer. Here is a universal link...

Sadly, I don't think you are allowed to post links like that :(

@Dee