Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    @booinyoureyes

imageimage

KILL IT WITH FIRE B4 IT SPARKLES

It's an alternate that was made as a joke for Tsujatha NPC mod, it fits considering how Gary-Stu the mod is. Kill them both with fire.

Also the work on a Mazzy Romance mod was discontinued many years ago:
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/17770-news/

Thanks again for the artists sharing their work with us, this thread is full of win.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited November 2013
    delete

Syntia13 said:

imageimage

Deherianna you have a new look!
    For anyone who may be interested, I basically did a mash-up of these two pictures. It combines the painted forehead with the unpainted chin.

• vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2013
    @Isandir your work is gorgeous! Off to build a shrine dedicated to you or something :)
    @booinyoureyes gah, sorry, it appears to be quite dead for a while, I didn't know... But it seems that one of very taleneted modders is going to carry this work on. Check spellholdstudios.
    @Foggy ah, so that's the name, MiLeah. I have a very nasty compulsive "save on my computer" habit regarding beautiful art. Copyright issue then occurs, unfortunately.
  • vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103

These pics are used for some mod character, but I think they would make a spot-on Xan (especially the "younger" looking pic on the left).

imageimage

KILL IT WITH FIRE B4 IT SPARKLES
    Yeah, totally agree. But still it is better portrait than the one included... No one's going to remake it with something beautiful and aesthetic like Tom Hiddleston...

Portrait request challange for Evangeline lilly:
    Completed...

I was just reminded of this picture (actually I never really forgot, because I've used it quite often, LOL) after seeing a commercial for the upcoming Hobbit film, in which this same actress quite fittingly plays an elven ranger.

Honestly I'm also quoting this post so that newcomers to this thread can see this picture for the very first time. It was posted about 30 pages back, but it still remains one of my top 2 or 3 favorite "Baldurizings" thus far.
    @Isandir: Many thanks for sharing your fantastic work and giving permission to alter your portraits, although I fail to see how one could add to your already perfect technique (the hair and lighting are the best I've seen)
    Though posting portraits without restrictions as long as we credit the artists would be nice-if we share it means we like their work after all- I understand why some frown upon us posting their art since many DeviantArt users work for commissions and hate to lose potential customers who can obtain their work for free elsewhere.
    Can't wait for the rest of DSotSC portraits, seeing how perfect the 4 revisited are. Please continue sharing your portraits sir, It's a real blessing to have talented artists such as yourself, @Syntia13 and many others post their work and do requests here. You all have our heartfelt thanks.
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    Isandir said:

@Astafas: I will eventually get around to posting a tutorial, but I'm obsessive once a start a project, so it will be a while. The best advice I can give until then is to simply experiment. When I started making portraits, I relied on Photoshop effect filters and the blur tool. With the minor exception of blending some elements, I no longer use either and instead make the images almost exclusively with the mixer brush. The colors result from heavy adjustment of the contrast and saturation, laid over with color filters to better blend them.

Ahh the mixer brush, I've never even used it before. Time to study up on how to make the most of it! Thanks for the tip!

Man, that portrait of Ferthgil is amazing. Love the headband, and you managed to change Bane into a dwarf, Tom Hardy is barely recognizable. Gonna use this for my dwarven defender til DSotSC coming release.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Isandir said:

Others are welcome to alter my portraits, and I simply ask that I am given credit. I only update it sporadically, but most of my newer work is available on http://isandir.com. (I'll soon be replacing the DSotSC portraits with the new versions.)

@Isandir
    Thanks for your generosity and for sharing your website with us! It is magnificent :D

I wish I was really good at something... lol

Seriously, something, anything! T_T
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Motherf-
    Nice!

/steal
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Isandir said:

@fitscotgaymer: Is this close to what you had in mind? It doesn't blend quite as well as I'd like, as I had to cut the .png and create a portion of his neck that didn't exist, but the end result looks fine in the game.

It looks awesome to my poor uneducated eyes. :)

My only note is could you perhaps change the sword to a katana hilt? He is a Kensai after all.

It's cool if you can't this would make an awesome Nate pic as is. Just being a little nitpicky is all. Only do it if you have the extra time. Otherwise I am great with what you have already done for me. Thank you very much.
    edited December 2013
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I am not sure about Kensai's in general - I assumed because they were Kara-Turan in origin that they used the Katana like weapons primarily.
    As for Nate himself, he is from Baldur's Gate but he was taught by a Kara-Turan Kensai to be a Kensai. And a Katana is what he uses (if I remember right).
    edited December 2013
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • DeltaslayerDeltaslayer Member Posts: 49
    Man, these portraits are awesome. Please continue!
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    awesome pics. i was wondering anyone have portraits featuring the following actresses?

Olivia Wilde
    Kristen Bell
    Anna Kendrick
  • So_LoWSo_LoW Member Posts: 62
    vierrae said:

And this I think would be a great Neera portrait if manipulated and baldurized. Maybe someone taledted will do it.

I second this!
    edited November 2013
    Here's a couple of the pics I'm using as replacements... apologies to those I may have stolen from for the clothing/backgrounds in this and future uploads, I'm not even sure who originally did them as i usually snag them off of google doing searches. Ill remove if needed.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese idol group Morning Musume, so I often use some of them in my portraits, that or myself and friends. I used the following for Imoen, Bodhi, and Aerie. The 1st is from Masaki Sato, the 2nd is a heavily altered Riho Sayashi, and the last one is from a pic of Liu Yifei.

imageimageimage
    Post edited by Meepichi on
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    Meepichi said:

Here's a couple of the pics I'm using as replacements... apologies to those I may have stolen from for the clothing/backgrounds in this and future uploads, I'm not even sure who originally did them as i usually snag them off of google doing searches. Ill remove if needed.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese idol group Morning Musume, so I often use some of them in my portraits, that or myself and friends. I used the following for Imoen, Bodhi, and Aerie. The 1st is from Masaki Sato, the 2nd is a heavily altered Riho Sayashi, and the last one is from a pic of Liu Yifei.

Portraits of Asian characters are sadly lacking, as are other minorities. The Forgotten Realms has a pretty diverse population, but we tend not to see it in the default portrait selection.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Isandir
    I guess that's to be expected. The vast majority of D&D players are European or North American, and most people find it easier to relate with people that resemble themselves more. In China, most Wuxia genre games naturally feature fantasy versions of China, filled with Chinese heroes, villains and monsters.

Baldur's Gate actually surprised me with its diversity in terms of characters, monsters and weapons of non-European origins. Sometimes it felt like Amn was a melting pot of cultures, far more diverse than the Portugese Empire was in real life, which I believe is what Amn is inspired by.

What did annoy me was the fact that the game pretty much equated Kara-tur with fantasy Japan, when even in D&D lore, Shou-Lung (representing fantasy China) is much larger and more important than Wa or Kozakura, and the lore even mentions large numbers of Shou refugees settling in Faerun during a barbarian invasion, not to mention that Shou-Lung is geographically closer and linked by land. Unless there is some reason that I don't know about that explains a closer link between Faerun and Wa/Kozakura, then this seems to be lazy design. (And I admit, what limited knowledge I have about D&D lore is based on various wikis).

As I understand it, only one D&D expansion has been based on a Kara-tur setting, and that was very much inspired by Medieval Japan, which is why Bioware probably had a lot more material to work with when it comes to Katanas, Ninjato, Kensai... etc.

Of course the reason why Samurai and Katana are widely recognisable and popular in the West is because Japan, being on the 'right side' of the Cold War, has been far more successful than China in exporting its culture, so the Chinese versions of Samurai and Ninja don't even have translations in English.

Anyways, enough ranting, I'm looking forward to the addition of a Shou Lung inspired 'Kensai' into your gallery :D
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2013
    Isandir said:

Also, I hate beards.

Wha-... I'm speechless! How could anyone have even remotely negative emotions about such wondrous facial hair?! If I had your skills I'd paint every single NPC a survival full beard; be they man, woman or hamster! D:
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458

@Isandir

What did annoy me was the fact that the game pretty much equated Kara-tur with fantasy Japan, when even in D&D lore, Shou-Lung (representing fantasy China) is much larger and more important than Wa or Kozakura...

Anyways, enough ranting, I'm looking forward to the addition of a Shou Lung inspired 'Kensai' into your gallery :D

In that case I think you may like one of the expanded characters I created for the new version of DSotSC (and whose portrait I'll also be remaking), and in particular his weapon:

Vihane Sodalane
    Half-elf
    Male
    Kensai
    Lawful Evil
    Level 5 (21,000 xp)
    HP: 41
    Weapon proficiencies:
    Katana: ++
    Two-weapon Style: +++

STR 16
    DEX 18
    CON 12
    INT 17
    WIS 10
    CHA 11

(Total: 84)

Vihane's scarred lips curl into a smile as you speak to him. Born to an elven mother and human father near the Forest of Tethir, the half-elf experienced a relatively normal childhood until his thirteenth name day. Seeking to purge the borders of human influence, the Eldreth Veluuthra--a militant elvish group--attacked his family's home. Pressing a small blade into his mother's hand, Vihane's father ordered them to flee and charged toward the attackers. As they ran into the forest, a single elf raced after them, gutting the boy's mother in front of him. Vihane picked up the short sword and struck at the murderer furiously, suffering several gashes across his face before killing him.

Alone and bleeding, he wandered for two days until reaching the small settlement of Mosstone, where a priest of Waukeen treated his wounds. Taking odd jobs throughout Tethyr and Amn over the next few years, Vihane gained a reputation for his talent with a blade, as well as his keen intellect and ability to garner information. It was the latter that brought him to the attention of the Knights of the Shield, who recruited him as a spy.

Since that time, Vihane has reported to the head of the organization in Athkatla. Ordered to accompany its emissaries to Baldur's Gate for the negotiations with the leaders of the Iron Throne, he was tasked with a more clandestine purpose: to investigate rumors that a high-ranking individual in the Iron Throne may have other motives. Hearing of your group's encounters with them, he sought you out, hoping to discover more. However, you can't help but wonder if he has an ulterior purpose...

Default equipment:

Vihane's Katana +1: Veleno

Veleno
    A striking blade, Veleno bears the mark of Shou Lung, the massive empire to the far east. Vihane claims to have been given the wakizashi by a wandering warrior, a Chung Tao who introduced him to the philosophies of the Way. Garnished with a writhing serpent with ruby eyes, Veleno moves in a blur in Vihane's hands despite its size, almost as if it were seeking to strike its opponents before they could retaliate. You also notice a slight, sickly green sheen, similar to a serpent's venom, coating the edge of the blade.

Equipped abilities:
    Armor Class: +1

THAC0: +1
    Damage: 1d8+1, +1d6 poison damage (Save vs. Poison for half)
    Damage Type: Piercing
    Speed Factor: 2
    Proficiency Type: Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjato
    Type: One-handed

Weight: 6
    Usable only by:
    VIHANE SODALANE

Ring of the Shield

Ring of the Shield
    Granted to the elite agents of the Knights of the Shield, this ring offers both protective magic and more subtle enchantments that enhance the wearer's charm. This enables them to unobstrusively infiltrate organizations and places, and acquire information.

Equipped abilities:
    Armor Class: +2
    Saving Throws: +2
    Charisma: +1

Not usable by:
    WIZARD SLAYER
    GOOD ALIGNMENT
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    i was wondering if you could make a Jaheira portrait with this pic?

Thanks in advance
    Another wonderful pic Isandir! I'm almost embarrassed posting anything after seeing what you do!

I'll post some more Asian themed portraits after I edit them some more with some new techniques I've learned. Some of the picture touch up videos on youtube are very helpful.
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    Just wanted to say, "Isandir", "Syntia13" and "Meepichi" has contributed with some kickass baldurizations (BG1 style) lately :) Love almost all of them (not all are good though IMO). But keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.