Skip to content

Corrupted Item Descriptions

I have a small issue at the moment and I think I have figured out what the cause is.....unfortunately I am not sure how to resolve it.

I used EE Keeper to edit a save game. I wasn't looking to cheat - I actually did this just after the intro dungeon. I had rolled a Sorcerer and decided I actually wanted to play as a Mage instead. I didn't want to run the dungeon again. That worked however I don't think I selected BG2EE in EE Keeper and I think that caused the items in the game to have their descriptions corrupted.

For some reason about 60% of the items don't have their correct description. They instead have dialog text relating to Haer'Dalis instead. I thought this was a bug and would get picked up in the first patch - unfortunately it didn't.

At this stage I am into ToB and don't want to restart. Is there anyway I can fix this issue?

Is there anything else that might be causing it other than me editing the savegame with EE Keeper?

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Do you have any mods installed? Any at all?
  • SueDeNimesSueDeNimes Member Posts: 6
    I installed BG2 Tweak Pack (Windows) v14

After this corruption I did a fresh install of the game so I am not sure if that means I currently have any mods installed or not?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @SueDeNimes,

EE Keeper doesn't alter item or spell descriptions, it only reads the integer number required to find the text and then displays that text.

Any chance you could upload your modified save game?
    Do you want the save game as it is now?
    Here is my most recent save...
    edited November 2013
    @SueDeNimes, is that the save game you edited? If it is, then there are no corrupted strings or string refs. I can only imagine the issue was caused by a mod (I don't suppose you uninstalled a mod at some point?).
    That is my most recent save (where I am at the moment)

To be honest, I don't think it is actually anything in the save file. I just opened up the earliest save I have (still in the dungeon) and the item descriptions are still corrupted in that.

If I manage to fix the item database will that affect my current savegame?
    @SueDeNimes, that depends entirely on what you mean by fixing the item database. If you have any items from a mod (or mods) that were installed at the time, you will lose them as the game will no longer recognise them. That should fix any issue you have with the dialog.tlk file, however, then you can reinstall only the mod you want and see if that fixes the issue.

Also, to note: copy your entire game directory somewhere else (backup) so you don't have to spend another hour or two downloading the game all over again.