Skip to content

Wanted to ask a quick question, hope someone can help?

BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
edited August 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
I was in another board a few nights ago and someone mentioned that all three of the new romances were bi. As in all of them would have an open romance with you regardless of your gender? I was wondering if this was the case and if there was maybe a link where it had been confirmed?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There is some speculation that one of the new NPCs may be available for romance regardless of the protagonist's gender. I don't recall if it has ever been officially confirmed (I don't know that I count Trent's tweets as "official", since Trent also likes to say that summer ends in September ;) ).
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @aosaw true, but the comment the made me curious was saying that all 3 of them were and that just seems like a game breaker to me. not everyone is like that and i really don't want guys hitting on me when i'm a guy char, and girls hitting on me when i'm a girl char. They'll make a mod for it for those that want that though :)
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Trent confirmed on Twitter that one of the three new NPC romances was open to either gender, but will not disclose which one of the three at this point.
    that's cool, so long as it's not all 3, that would have been ehhh, and my guess is that it'll be the monk
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't mind, as long as you can put a k-bosh on it if you want. Sort of how you could tell any char in DA that it's not gonna happen (relationship, period, regardless of preference or whatnot). I also don't think all 3 should be romanceable. In reality, some people don't hit it off, regardless of what the one side thinks on the matter.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Well in all fairness, it could be that they make it rather challenging for you to actually hit it off, if not near impossible. For instance, personality wise I can't actually hit it off with Viconia, but she's is still romanceable, and I've still never successfully pulled it off >_>. So if your personality of your PC character does coincide with theirs, I think you should potentially be able to romance them. That, and every other single NPC in the game cannot be romanced so it still means the majority cannot be.

A final note I'd like to add is that I suspect it will likely be the wild mage that is Bi since the majority of their fan base seems to be male. Therefore I'd suspect the majority of them would be open to the idea of romancing the female character, not to mention there's only one female character and two male characters available for romancing. However this could just be rather presumptuous on my part. Plus I think people are being a little narrow minded on the whole bisexual thing. It's not like they would likely be hitting on you, so much as just chatting with you. It could simply be friendship, and there could easily be a dialogue option along the way that says something along the lines of, "I appreciate your friendship so and so." Thus negating it from being a 'romance' as most people would define it.

That is my 2 cents worth on the subject.
    Tanthalas
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Aosaw said:

There is some speculation that one of the new NPCs may be available for romance regardless of the protagonist's gender. I don't recall if it has ever been officially confirmed (I don't know that I count Trent's tweets as "official", since Trent also likes to say that summer ends in September ;) ).

But Summer does end in September. >_>
    Rythgar
    @MooseChangerPat

I actually fully expect that the "romances" in BGEE will only be a friendship. It'll probably only be in BG2 that the friendship actually becomes a romance.
    @reedmilfam yeah but that one male thief elf never stopped hitting on me no matter how much i said no. He always made my skin crawl.

@moosechangerpat that's part of the reason i didn't like the thought of it. a romance should be hard, challenging, and easily lost/broken, but very very very rewarding when done right. if it's just a matter of the npc throwing themselves at you no matter what you do *coughDRAGONAGE2cough*, what's the point?
    Fake_Sketch
    @Tanthalas aren't you a beta tester? have you gotten a chance to see any of the new chars?
    edited August 2012
    @Tanthala Oh man... I can't decide whether that really sucks, or if that's utterly brilliant :\ On the one hand I like the idea of the build up to it, and that we have even more to look forward to for BGEE2... On the other hand... waiting... oh the waiting! T_T

@Bjjorick That's kind of what I was saying. It should be challenging, and as such it shouldn't be like they're actually hitting on you. To be honest I don't know if they've got writers capable of pulling it off, but I shall hope an pray that they do. From everything I've seen, this team hasn't greatly disappointed me with the content they've produced yet. Just their licencing issues. I am in 100% agreement with you on the concept that it should be challenging, and rewarding, NOT SOMETHING LIKE CASAVIR IN NWN2! *ahem* Sorry... that one still gets me.
    @Bjjorick

I can't talk about beta stuff.
    That must be hard... keeping all that bottled up information when all these people keep asking questions and you've got the beta at your fingertips xD
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Tanthalas : in the south hemisphere, WINTER ends in September. He just forgot half of the world that way :P

I myself have no problem with bisexual or homosexual romances whatsoever... as long as they are not INTRUSIVE. I am a heterosexual in real life and love my girlfriend very much. If I want to roleplay, I can roleplay any sexually oriented guy or gal I want, I have no problems there. I don't like however how Dragon Age 2 went around doing "stuff" (either be my romance option or I am your sworn enemy)

That really is the case with Aerie too actually, even if she's just for guys... You don't want to act like a jerk to her... and she falls in love with you. WHAT?! No, no! I don't wanna! I'm staying single for my run, THE END! D:

Hopefully I didn't end up offending anyone, but really, there should be a clear line between romance and friendship. Something I haven't seen in either Dragon Age 2, or in some instances in Aerie (which made it hard to romance her for me personally)
    MooseChangerPatMoomintroll
    @Tanthalas
    not sure why but when you said that, all i could think of was,
    "The first rule of fight club is that you do NOT talk about fight club"
    BCFornarolli
    @MooseChangerPat

Well, when some of the fixed bugs trickle out I can talk about them. New content is a definite no-no though.
    @Bjjorick

Lol, at least in Fight Club they didn't have to sign NDA's to join.
    @cheesebelly pretty much my problem, in part 1, you had to work for morigan or liliana, and the one time i played a female char, i did it to check out alistar. he was a bit easy but he was, ummm.....submissive?

and then the bard/thief, name started with a Z. I didn't care for him at all. He would hit on you on every line, and even if you were friends, and you told him no, the wrong choice and you were suddenly dating.

Come part 2, and he plays every romancable npc.
    @Tanthalas Out of curiosity, how did you get to become a beta tester anyways? Was there some sort of contest, or lottery or something? Or were you a friend of the producers maybe?

@Cheesebelly Also, I totally feel for you with Aerie. Best way to avoid that, bring Haer'Dalis along, make HIM be the one stuck with her instead. :P And between your Boo icons and your hilarious comments I think your one of my favorite members on this forum xD.
    @MooseChangerPat
    There wasn't anything like that. I was just around since the project was announced so I got invited to the beta.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Bjjorick : Oh yeah, Zevran. God, I forgot about him >.<

@MooseChangerPat : thank you very much, I feel special now :D
    I am indeed bringing Haer'Dalis along, especially for my Let's Play, since I don't want to romance anyone in it. The other option is simply to kill Aerie or just trash her for 5 seconds and she "breaks up". Silly romances. Why couldn't Mazzy be romancable?! She's better than the rest of the girls in the game D:
    Fake_Sketch
    @cheesebelly nah, aerie is my favorite, and i kinda hope the new girl is on the romantic side. viconia would make a great fling, but i dont' see long term relationship there, and jahera is too much of a mommy. I really loved the saerileth npc romance mod, as it was romance with a confident woman, that wasn't afraid to submit to the one she loved. I know that may *sound* bad, but it's really just aerie without her whining all the time. I still love aerie, but wish they would have edited her soundbytes after she realized she could depend upon the pc.
    I think I'm totally with @Cheesebelly on Mazzy xD She was probably the hottest female character in BG2 apart from Imoen... who was your sister so that could be kind of... weird :\ Moving on, to another point I have which is I am completely conflicted when it comes to Aerie. She's a mage cleric which can be a really cool class combo, especially with the contingency spells. However, she's so whiny even when you do get her to overcome her issues that it's sort of like nails on a chalkboard for me. Jaheria is probably the best one they wrote, but I agree that she is certainly a mature woman, and since she even states she was sort of acting as your guardian... that almost can get as weird as romancing Imoen for me :\

@Tanthalas... dang... maybe I would have been invited if I actually had joined the forum when I first heard about it. :\ I probably need to think of these things better next time.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Tanthalas also had a shining recommendation based on his input in the initial discussions. :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I agree that a more defined line between friendship and romance is necessary, Although it's not my case, some people would be offended if they thought they were following a friendship line and ended up starting a same sex relationship.

I still remember the outcry against Dragon Age 2 as with some characters it was so hard not to start such a relationship that some decided just not to add them to the party.

But independent of sexual orientation, sometimes you don't want to start a relationship greater than friendship with anyone in your party as @Cheesebelly it should be clearer that you can be nice to her without starting a romance, or, at elast have a way to lead her to a friendship if she falls in love.
    Fake_Sketch
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Fellow faerunians!

Yesterday i pre-ordered the game, but there is no badge "BGEE Supporter" on my profile here. Not that I'm complaining, but it's strange, because some of you guys have it. Is it because of me being not logged in on forum while pre-ordering?

Not a big issue - still I'm a bit concerned. Cheers!
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    Phælin
    @Przemkas yeah, @azurit's link will help you, that's how i got it

it's due to me logging in through gmail and using my yahoo main on beamdog :)
    Phælin
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Well yeah, I guess this is the same way for me :)

Thanks @azurit and @Bjjorick for a quick reply.
    no worries and btw, when i pm'd him, it only took him about 20 mins to get it fixed. but they aren't on this time of night. Just don't give any info until he asks, that way you don't give out too much :)