Skip to content

ETA on BG2EE memory leak fix? (or first patch..)

124»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @ChildofBhaal599
    Alright, you're set up.

We have a list of changes, but right now the memory leak is the most important, so I'd rather people focus on that. From what it sounds like, the worst elements of the leak have been fixed; there's still some leaking going on, but it's a lot less severe than it was before. Would you say that's a correct assessment?
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    I would say that's correct right now Dee. I'm at nearly 200k, but the crashing doesn't happen for me until I'm near 1 million or more. I'll continue playing and keep you posted.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2013
    I am starting the download. hopefully Comcast is nice and gives me good internet right now :)

I will try some of the specific things mentioned here to see if I can get the memory up. thank you for this :)

edit: it is going really fast right now. should be done in less than 10 minutes :)
    @Dee I could not get any significant memory leaks. I could manage it using the quick equip unequip but it was small and insignificant.

all the other changes I am noticing so far are fantastic! Thank you for the recolored buttons, very handy for my fighter/thief. also I tested the goblin spawn and they indeed spawned after reloading. I think I will just play with the beta for now. I will tell you if I experience any bugs during my playing with the beta to see if there is anything left unfixed
  • KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2013
    Dee said:

@ChildofBhaal599
    Alright, you're set up.

We have a list of changes, but right now the memory leak is the most important, so I'd rather people focus on that. From what it sounds like, the worst elements of the leak have been fixed; there's still some leaking going on, but it's a lot less severe than it was before. Would you say that's a correct assessment?

I entirely agree with that statement. I've been running BG2EE for 3 hours straight now without pausing and tabbing back to order them to move huge distances and the memory usage is now: 130k. Merely went up by 1 in 1 hour. I haven't done combats or anything tho but I did equip and unequip in spams also and no usage went up.

I've reached 230k now, so I'd say it isn't perfect, but it's a far cry better than it was. At the rate I'm going, I'd have to be playing for a rather long time to reach the levels I was reaching pre-patch.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Dee
    The memory leak is much less intense in the beta than in the live client version. It's still there but it will take longer to cause serious problems like map and quest resetting. It's a start and its good enough for now, but it still needs to be addressed in the future.
  • hurin_thalionhurin_thalion Member Posts: 6
    @Dee Memory usage is staying pretty steady at right around 200,000. Not sure if that's high or not, but it's far better than the low millions I was getting up to before.

Also, I don't know if it's an issue that this patch is meant to address, but I still don't have the Watcher's Keep showing up in my game.
    are there any other good way to get high memory usage? what is still around in the beta causing problems that I could check on my system?
    Previously there was a major leak with ground piles; so if you had a bunch of creatures dead on screen with items lying on the ground (and especially with the Quick Loot bar activated) you'd see the major leaking. It sounds like that's no longer the case, but we'll give it a little more time for people to try it out.

You should also be noticing that Jaheira's separate classes are listed on the Record screen as "Fighter" and "Druid" instead of "Fighter/Druid" for both. There's a few other fixes in there as well (among which are the creature spawns not being lost on reload).
    Yeah, I have noticed with Aerie that the multi-class display is showing properly. It was pretty funny when I first noticed that error, I had just gotten a cleric level with Aerie, then shortly later got another level and so I glanced at the sheet and thought "wait, I'm getting ANOTHER cleric level? What's going on here?" I had to re-read it a couple times before I noticed the problem. :P
    Alright, if anyone wants to see what else is in this patch, check out the announcement here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24852/bgii-ee-1-2-2030-11-20-2013#latest

The plan is to release it tomorrow, but that'll give you an idea of what all is included.
  • TRoarTRoar Member Posts: 50
    Great work, guys! And thanks for the patch preview, Dee. :)
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    Harper's Call fix ?
    @Dee after about an hour in the game my memory usage is at 180k, so my system also has a small leak but it is not at all bad. I have plenty of memory so I would need a very long play session to affect my system.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    @Dee
    Allright, I've been playing the beta for a while now and so far no crashes. It seems the leak is if not fixed, then certainly much better than before.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, speaking of the ground loot, that was also something I experienced. I managed to work that out by not using the lootbar. I would manually loot and then hit it just to see if I missed anything then close it back. Downloading the patch now, from the above posts it seems to be helping a lot.
  • arondesarondes Member Posts: 12
    I have a similar problem. The game starts all right, but turns to be slower and slower as the time of playing increases, finally the whole process is just closed suddenly by system.
    @arondes
    A few preliminary questions:

1) Do you have any mods installed (and if so, which ones)?
    2) How much RAM does your computer have?

I guess that's it. Those are the big questions, though.