Skip to content

Please remove level cap in BG1

Comments

• evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32
    fredamora said:

@evil_ape my english must truly be very limited (not my native language), I don't get what you mean. Hold your horses, though, I just seriously don't...no offense intended. Can you please explain that in another way?

What I'm trying to say is that the XP cap should not be removed the release of the game, because it will effect everyone and greatly alter the balancing of the game. This is a perfect example of something that should be a modification that people who do not want an XP cap apply themselves.

The bottom line is: A feature should note make it harder to play the game as originally intended.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    If the lvl cap is 10 or 12 (maybe 14) for every class, that ok for me. But more than that.. its just seem too much for bg1.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Silence said:

First and foremost, I don't really need the XP cap removed - modders will do this for us. God bless them.

I don't have a problem with the cap be removing.

Yes, modders can do this in no time. The problem with removing it comes from the fact, there is limited time until Sept 21. So, pick one: either the developers port over any bg2 content (mainly spells) or they fix BG1 content. I guess, the bg2 content could wait till bg2ee.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    If i recall correctly removing the cap in BG wasnt quite easy, because the corresponding file was packed into game files and had first to be found and decompressed. Later patches added it into the override folder so it became a piece of cake.

This open up a question of how the game files are gonna be distributed. In latest Bioware game, Mass Effect 3, files are uniquely packaged and not easilty editable, and they ban everyone who has altered .ini files. Removing the cap under such conditions could be quite difficult.
  • RedWizardsRedWizards Member Posts: 29
    It's not as easy to mod as everything thinks, I suspect.

Which is why I ask that the great creators remove it! (Or at least make it an option).

Thanks!!!
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    Figures, while you want the cap to be raised and to use cheats, I want the cap to be the same and for cheats to be disabled. I also think something should be done about tome abuse, i.e. 25 in all stats. Oh well.
    edited August 2012
    Figures, while you want the cap to be raised and to use cheats, I want the cap to be the same and for cheats to be disabled. I also think something should be done about tome abuse, i.e. 25 in all stats. Oh well.
    Sorry, I didn't realize you was a playa hater.

Seriously though, why prevent me from the ability to cheat if I so desire?

Having the "option" to disable XP cap wouldn't effect your gameplay, so why prevent it?

;)
    For roleplaying purposes? Pretend you're a (level 25) god going back to revisit your past.

(Wouldn't you if you had the chance?)

:)

#winning
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @RedWizards well the thing is some people are complete purists and despise cheats, but at the same time its not like the cheats are easy to put in, it does require effort, and as you said having an option is okay, because some people like to play that way, and some people like to play pure, there is no problem making it so both options are available, dont want to cheat, dont activate them, if you want to cheat, then activate them
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I think a game needs to be challenging for it to have mainstream appeal.

If a game is too easy, we dismiss it immediately. We need the threat of danger to keep us invested, especially during the first playthrough. It's that danger which compels us to invest time and effort into our characters and strategies. Leveling is most satisfying because it makes a tough opponent easier to beat. Too much leveling and the game becomes pointless for most people, because everything is easy. That said, for most, the XP cap serves an important purpose. I'm definitely going to keep it on for the first play-throughs just to see how the game is balanced.

Developers set limits so that we can strive to break them - it's not unlike a coach or parent having high expectations of you. You hate it, but in the end it drives your addiction to the game. Of course, once you're in your 800th playthrough, you kinda want to it your own way. So I got no problem with removing the XP cap later.

As for the tome thing...if someone really thinks +1 Str is worth another *full* playthrough of BG1, all the power to them.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited August 2012
    I am playing BGT right now, and I do al the original quests ( no totsc and some very minor mods) and I left XP gain for scrolls and traps on. And guess what? The endgame fight whas still hard. I am now doing Durlag's tower and I still need to use good tactics to survive.

Edit: No XP cap for everyone :D
    The reason the cap is there is so they didnt have to balance future AddOns for different characters. Level cap in bg1 doesnt really makes any difference due to the exponential exp reqs.

Now that we actually have the complete game having the cap doesnt make any sense anymore. Same thing in BG2, they disabled the SoA cap once ToB was out. I guess with BG1 there werent sure how much more AddOns they are gonna produce.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Why do people call the open-end XP table a cheat? Are you attempting to send us on a guilt-trip?
    "It's not in the original", seems to be the only justification for this, in which case kits and half-orcs and easier inventory management and pause-on-inventory-screen and any new weapon added to the game (like a katana) must be called cheats as well.
    (if a sorcerer is a cheat anyway, then you shouldn't be worried about his power under the influence of a different cheat)

@Silence Baldur's Gate will be plenty difficult for casual gamers, with or without the XP cap.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I don't think removing the XP cap is a 'cheat' at all. It's the most rational mod to the game, and only benefits people willing to put in the work.

I still think people should try 1 or 2 playthroughs of the game with the cap. When people level too much, I think it can negatively affect their gaming experience. Again, this only applies to some people.

I'm tired of any change to the game being called cheating. I commonly use shadowkeeper to change the appearance of my characters - e.g.: making an elf look like a human - apparently this is 'cheating', even though it changes nothing about my statistics. I do this in NWN2 as well, because half-elves look unspeakably gross.

@Humanoid_Taifun: BG is definitely a challenge for casual gamers. Not sure how many of those we're going to get with EE (a lot I hope!) I just know that a rather large subset of hardcore gamers want the difficulty the same or higher. Myself, I commonly do "no-die" runs of the game.
  • killingwithasmilekillingwithasmile Member Posts: 19
    Silence said:

I still think people should try 1 or 2 playthroughs of the game with the cap. When people level too much, I think it can negatively affect their gaming experience. Again, this only applies to some people.

Yeah, perhaps to ensure this, make the XP cap option only enabled once the game has been completed once or twice? I mean, you dont really cap out first time through do you? so maybe upon two completions?

edited August 2012
    Well what cap are we talking about. TotSC upped the cap to 161k so technically wandering around Beregost with more than 89k exp is possible but "illegal" even in the official vanilla game. Which pretty much shows that the only reason the cap is there is to maintain future addons starter chars, and later bg2 import, nothing more.

Also the exp table

PALADIN
    150000 - cap1 prevents reaching this
    300000 - cap2 prevents reaching this
    600000 - good luck getting here!

You arent going to run away anywhere. Exp table inherently prohibits that.
    i remember one time i had a lone ranger in bg1 and i had the level 50 cap on, and i got him up to level 23 i believe in 1 play through, PS: that was A LOT of flesh golems
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    IIRC the there is somewhere around 1.5-2 million xp to be gained if you do every single quest and explore absolutely everything (TOTSC included).

This was in a TUTU game though hence the uncertain number.
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    I personally would prefer it if they either:
    1) made it a check mark in the options section (alongside an ironman mode) to have the XP cap in play

or

2) removed all the 50% damages or +1 luck bonus stuff I've occasionally seen in the difficulty settings and replaced it with specific XP caps.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    IMO the level cap should not come into effect if you play through the game with constantly having 6 members in your party. So they could rise the level cap a bit, it doesn't necessarily even have to give you any new levels, just so that you can play without reaching it. If this is too much, then you could reduce the experience rewards slightly (10% off from all creatures). In case this makes you too powerful in BG2, remove experience gained from learning spells/disarming traps, because then that would offset it rather nicely.
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2012
    Bercon said:

IMO the level cap should not come into effect if you play through the game with constantly having 6 members in your party. So they could rise the level cap a bit, it doesn't necessarily even have to give you any new levels, just so that you can play without reaching it. If this is too much, then you could reduce the experience rewards slightly (10% off from all creatures). In case this makes you too powerful in BG2, remove experience gained from learning spells/disarming traps, because then that would offset it rather nicely.

I don't necessarily want 6 members in my party. Having a XP cap also cuts out the advantage of playing through the game with a smaller party.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @RedWizards I think capping the exp at level 12 or 13 is fine. But summoning Divas? Gurl! Oh no you di'int! ;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    sarevok57 said:

i remember one time i had a lone ranger in bg1 and i had the level 50 cap on, and i got him up to level 23 i believe in 1 play through, PS: that was A LOT of flesh golems

Zorro? :)

• Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    10-12-14, ok, more, nah.
    edited August 2012
    why not just make it so all mon-SToReS and quest XP give half XP, even at the level cap now the game is still relatively easy ( but us veterans must remember that we've been playing this game forever so that is why we dont feel fullfilled getting to it so quickly) and increasing the level cap is going to make the game ballZ easy, if i remember correctly if you do absolutely everything without grinding spiders i believe a team of 6 can hit around 225 000 xp or so, shooooooooooooo if everything be halfed doing absolutely everything would still net you around 112 500 xp add in a little monster grinding or so and then you could hit 161 000 and be fullfilled then you would actually have to EARN getting to 161 000 not just be given it, and for all the rookies and newbies, i would say they would normally hit 120 000 or so, which would pit them at around 60 000 or so which is fine, because when you play that mission pack file they start off at around 60 000 or so and with the I-tAmS they have and at that experience they can still beat the final battle, but then you could say; but the newbies would have a harder time with the final battle at 60 000 because the final battle is going to be harder bleh bleh blah and all that good jam, but we must remember, its the final battle, its supposed to be hard, if they cant win then they can go off and get some more cooool items like PoTiOnS and things and kill some more baddies, realisitcially you only need level 7 characters to win the final fight, shooooo yeah that be my 3 cents
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited August 2012

Sorry, I didn't realize you was a playa hater.

Seriously though, why prevent me from the ability to cheat if I so desire?

Having the "option" to disable XP cap wouldn't effect your gameplay, so why prevent it?

;)

When I was saying that, I had multiplayer in mind. In NWN, for example, you could create a max level character and all of your gear, and just randomly join some servers, but other servers restricted character and item levels, or made it so you have to start from scratch and work for your levels and gear. I agree with what you're saying on one level, the option is good. On the unrestricted servers, I was able to test out a lot of builds before devoting a lot of time to them. On the other hand, if you've ever played Diablo 1, multiplayer is a bit of a joke, because you might have a player randomly join your game, mess with your stats and level, delete your gear, kill you in non-pvp zones, or even crash your game, so multiplayer just seems pointless in that game unless you're playing with friends who you trust. That's what I had in mind. In BG 1 and 2, I used the CLUAConsole commands a lot to test a variety of things, but I think it could potentially ruin multiplayer, which is the main draw of this enhanced version. But I get your point.
  • ValmontValmont Member Posts: 10
    IMO the vanilla BG1 cap was quite low, but once you added in TOTSC (Which Im told will be included in BG1EE), then the cap is reasonable. And easily editable to boot...
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    The cap was fine. I enjoyed being stopped, I enjoyed still struggling and fighting through that game.

And for all the people that said they quit the second they get to the cap, what's the point of you guys playing anyways? You're clearly not roleplaying nor getting sucked back into the storyline. At that point you're just playing some ancient MMO and farming the entire time.

Mod it if you want it, leave some purity for the rest of us.
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    Removing the cap for EVERYONE is just silly.

If you want to use console cheats - go right ahead.
    The cap was merely put there to make sure you couldn't just 1 hit everything in the game, and become to powerful for the fun factor.

I mean when you play an RPG its all about leveling up but thats like be level 99 in a final fantasy game and wanting to go to the first acts and 1 hit every encountered enemy.

SHENANAGANZ I CRY! :p
    This is very interesting but strangely removing the cap doesnt grant magical abilities and 1hit kills. I know i tried. As does anyone who played SoA with ToB installed, which raises exp cap from 3mln to 8mln, essentially removing it. But i have never heard of people claiming they oneshot everything in BG2:SoA with ToB installed. Where are all these people?