Skip to content

What s so awesome about Minsc?

GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
Don t get me wrong ,I have nothing against Minsc . It s just that Edwin is my favorite character so I never actually played with Minsc (or not for too long at least ) but I notice that he is in a lot of parties (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1578/your-perfect-party/p1) & is generally liked (even favorite character for a lot for ppl) ... sooo why? (just curious)

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2012
    I don't get it either, frankly.

He has the best Strength in the game, that's a big perk. His Dexterity and Constitution are decent (16). So overall he's a pretty good warrior. I've always had better luck with Khalid (best-rounded), Kagain (decent strength, bad dex, epic con), and Kivan (good strength, good dex, meh con) though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Continuality reasons (being in BG2) it makes sense to have him in your party for immersion. Plus he is pretty capable, he is versatile with the weapons he can use, and he has a fun voiceover.
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    Yeah, what jhart said. His party banter is fantastic.

He also seems like he was born to wield that stupid talking sword...
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    i get it that in bg1 he has hes perks with that crazy strength but in bg2 i find him rather useless with 101 str items in game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    raywind said:

i get it that in bg1 he has hes perks with that crazy strength but in bg2 i find him rather useless with 101 str items in game.

In BG2 he has his berserk, which I believe makes him immune to imprisonment. I think this is fairly useful by itself against some of the more annoying enemies (Kanglaxx for one).
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    His real strength lies in the ability to make you laugh - a comic relief even in the most serious of situations. He may not be the best warrior stat wise, but he makes up for it in dialogue.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2012
    The favouritism that seems to surround Minsc is not always related to his physical attributes. It's his personality. He stays with you throughout the series (should you choose to do so), and is quite humorous while being a good character. The purpose of his life is to listen to Boo and to exterminate evil.

As a player who favours NG/LG Fighters, Clerics, and Paladins, Minsc's will to purge the world of darkness is something that I have a great appreciation for.

I am known to play serious characters with no time for "fun and games." Despite this, I still enjoy having Minsc around.
    Post edited by Anduine on
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    18/93 and Boo.

'nuff said.
  • ZoozieZoozie Member Posts: 3
    After 30 years of gaming, the two NPC's I remember the most are Minsc and Deekind Scalesinger. That is why.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    i agree with @elminster with continuity reasons. It's also good to try out a party with Minsc, Khalid, Imoen, Jahiera and Dynahier, just to see how the story flows through to BG2.

Admittedly, It was only when BG2 was released that I tried the above party and thought it was great. It's very well balanced, with two tanks, thief, healer and magic user. It doesn't really matter what your character is because the party is already balanced imo.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    I didn't think Minsc was an outcast from his society at all. Isn't that just in his own head? He failed to protect his witch Dynaheir and is too ashamed to return to Rasheman. At least this is how I remember it.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Minsc

1. has charisma
    2. more or less forced into a party

He has no fighting advantages whatsoever, but this game isnt really about powerplaying. Anymore, lol.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    As I see it, Minsc is an essential part of my party simply because I feel like I need some butt kicking power. He improves morale ;)

But seriously, he shines in BG2 the most, especially if you make him dual wiled Flail of Ages with Defender of Easthaven, with armor of faith. Really sturdy, plenty of health and good, solid damage attacks. That and thanks to the FoA, he can also easily disrupt mage attacks :)
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited August 2012
    Just because he is funny, and he has an Gamespy interview

The first time I took him for his quest and strength
  • mirkmirk Member Posts: 15
    Just one thing: "Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!".
    You can't have Boo without Minsc and why wouldn't you want to have miniature giant space hamster in your party?
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    He has a heart. I don't know how to say it but Minsc is Minsc. What's not to like in him. Strong, funny, loyal, just, good and above all - miniature-giant-space-hamster-owning. :) The list goes on, btw...
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    There is actually a solid gameplay reason for having him at least at the beginning of BG2 if you side with the shadow thieves. They give you an amulet or something that makes you immune to level drain but fighters (and thieves I think) can't use it. Hmmm.. what character can take hits, has lots of STR, can equip the amulet, and has the ranger bonus against VAMPIRES for some reason in BG2 (changed from gnolls in BG1)? As a bonus, at that part of the game Lilarcor is one of the best options to equip him with.

Plus the fact that he simply oozes epic-level awesomeness doesn't hurt.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I like him a LOT but found that, near the end of ToB, he was under-powered. I traded him for Sarevok, who did what Minsc used to do in the party, but better.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    The Question: What's so awesome about Minsc?

The Answer: Butt Kicking for Goodness!

Alternate Answer: Go for the eyes Boo, Go for the eyes!

Seriously one of the better written and imaginative characters :)

Honestly Minsc was one of the first CRPG characters whose spoken lines made me laugh outloud...after I heard hi say it again....I want sure I had heard him right the first time :D
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30

As I see it, Minsc is an essential part of my party simply because I feel like I need some butt kicking power. He improves morale ;)

But seriously, he shines in BG2 the most, especially if you make him dual wiled Flail of Ages with Defender of Easthaven, with armor of faith. Really sturdy, plenty of health and good, solid damage attacks. That and thanks to the FoA, he can also easily disrupt mage attacks :)

I could never bring myself to switch him from using gigantic two handed swords. Half of his comments mention "his blade" so it didn't feel right when he was holding a flail or whatever.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    boo and BUTT KICKING!!!!
    that's all he has, that's all he needs
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Seriously, Minsc is not an outcast from Rashemen. He's a warrior on his Dajemma, or manhood quest, and he decided his task is protecting Dynaheir. He's big, he's strong, he's good and loyal, and he's funny. What more could you want?
    @ladyrhian
    the same thing i want irl.
    Hair.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Bjjorick Some men have perfectly sexy scalps... the rest grow hair to cover their flaws. ;)
  • CentoparCentopar Member Posts: 17
    It's like my mother always said: it's not your looks (and in this case, your strength or other attributes) that count. It's personality. And Minsc is, on that basis, a delight to have in the party. His banter is brilliantly funny, his loyalty and sense of justice is endearing, and no party is complete without Boo.

Minsc is, for me, a lovely example of what makes these games so enjoyable: superb writing and thoughtful characterisation.
    @ladyrhian then i guess i'm......slightly less flawed then everyone else around me......that does sound slightly better that way.