Skip to content

Does anyone use short sword of mask +5?

Basically the above question. Is the level drain worth it?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I have never used it before but I imagine it may be a better choice than Gram if you want it for a character good in short swords and not two-handed swords. Depending on who you are fighting the level drain may trigger more than Gram's too since Gram offers a save to resist the level drain (albeit with a massive penalty) and Mask is just percentage based. Of course neither of them are as good at sucking levels as Blackrazor.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    would be a decent choice if you were specializing in short swords and had Kundane off-hand, would be a decent weapon for Haer'Dalis if you can stand him in your party.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Aren't monks are able to use amulet of power?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    kamuizin said:

Aren't monks are able to use amulet of power?

@kamuizin I believe you posted in the wrong thread.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    As said it's a decent weapon for Haer'Daelis. It would work well with Mazzy and Hexxat, too.
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    In short: No. Not really. Haer'dalis is the only real option because he has cheated his way to 2x in Short Swords, but despite that I'd say you can get better swords for him.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I feel that the short sword of the mask +5 has a very short lifespan for it to shine. You can only upgrade it in ToB and basically every enemies are super high level. Even when the level drain works, it will be a long way until you severely weaken 1 enemy. I feel the sword is just gimmicky and doesnt deliver.
  • Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    It's the best short sword in the game, so I use it if I have somebody who wants to use short swords.
    Besides, the entangle proc that nobody talks about could totally come in handy in a pinch.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    yeh I like it I actually use it quite a lot as I tend to give my Halflings shot swords. I honestly prefer the entangle element though the level drain isn't really a huge deal as u get it so late in the game that its not a huge deal
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Does the Level Drain work on wasted hits or only when you connect? IE Can I bash on a mage with PfMW on and make him lose spells? If so, GWW/IH + the sword would be interesting...

I heard Wizard Slayers could actually interrupt without getting through magical protections which is making a WS>T somewhat interesting...
  • canivalbellacanivalbella Member Posts: 9
    Still thinking about this sword.... and think i may give it a go for a fighter thief character. Going to use it with another underrated item... the dagger of stars.

main hand stars and off hand mask. Back stab --> every 5th or 6th hit rendering him invisible for another backstab or enemy getting entangled so can retreat, re-stealth and backstab again

btw for level drain Gram does seem better when the numbers are crunched as every hit has at minimum a 5% chance of level drain (a natural 1 on the save), but for most enemies the chance is likely more like 25%+ (e.g. a low saving throw score of 1, +4 for Gram's penalty).

I wonder how much hp loss level drain causes beasties in addition to spell loss
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    With Item Revision yes.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Mazzy uses it.
    Because making the two-handed sword Abazigal carries better wasn't in my to do list, I had Keldorn with Carsomyr, Anomen with the Flail of Ages, Haer'Dalis with the Axe of the Unyielding and Crom Faeyr, Jan Jansen with the Staff of the Magi and Firetooth, Mazzy with Sword of the Mask and charname with Agurvandal and Gesen's Short Bow.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I find Short Swords only useable due to RP-factor. In reality, the Long Swords or Scimitars surpass them in every single way in both (BGEE & BG2EE) games.
  • GoatBoySteveGoatBoySteve Member Posts: 50
    This thread is a couple years old now, but I've been considering this weapon as of late. I want to use short swords for a halfling, but they are for the most part irredeemable. So I've decided to edit Short Sword of Mask to bring it up to snuff. Doesn't have to be FoA good, but on par with its peers.

I don't want to change its mechanics too much. I was thinking of making the -1 level on striking part of the standard version and adding at least a couple points of poison damage. Given that the upgrade comes so far into the expansion it should be decent enough to carry that far. After its upgraded I'd probably up it to -3 level on striking and more poison damage. Any thoughts?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited December 2015
    Southpaw said:

I find Short Swords only useable due to RP-factor. In reality, the Long Swords or Scimitars surpass them in every single way in both (BGEE & BG2EE) games.

^ This.

Short swords (and daggers) really got the short end of the stick. Basically no reason to use them over much, much better alternatives. Well, RP, but that's not a reason, just an excuse :P

After its upgraded I'd probably up it to -3 level on striking and more poison damage. Any thoughts?

Level drain is a bit of a weird thing. Very often it's either a) useless; or b) overpowered. I'm not a fan of the mechanic. If I was a designer, I'd find some other way to make the sword interesting, possibly involving something fittingly Mask-themed. Improved Invis on hit? Mislead when you take damage? Not sure.
  • hoi_Grhoi_Gr Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2015
    No one uses Short Swords and even if they did, stat wise it doesn't even come close to the top 10 weapons in the game.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Mazzy and Haer'dalis use short swords.
    But no one is forcing them to!
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,028
    edited December 2015
    I like short swords on the shorty sprites, especially dual-wielding in one hand SSoMask and Kundane in the other. I am currently playing a Halfling assassin using darts, shortbow, daggers and short swords. He is a blast to play, both mechanically and thematically.

I agree that both Angurvadal and Spectral Brand are much better mechanically than the Mask sword with their useful passive benefits. But then again the +4 SSoMask is available very early if one has the gold and can be used for most of the game. On my thieves I usually take proficiency points in both short swords and scimitars.

As I am sure most reading this are aware, the Rogue Rebalancing mod adds 2 new short swords, one +4 one with poison on hit (also with a chance to silence the target and a chance to do added damage like an arrow of biting basically) and then an upgradeable SSoBackstabbing (+5 THACO, +1 BS modifier in SoA, Cespenar increases damage to +5 also and increases the crit range by 2 so with SWS 17-20 is a crit). The Song and Silence mod also adds a short sword which is +2 (with +1 AC and +1 poison save). Note that the RR mod also adds 1 new wakizashi, 1 new ninja-to and 2 new clubs.

Aerakar said:

But then again the +4 SSoMask is available very early if one has the gold and can be used for most of the game.

It's probably not worth it. Even though it's +4, the damage is actually a mere 1 average damage point above a measly, plain Longsword+2 (1d6+4 = 7.5 avg / 1d8+2 = 6.5 avg), not to mention all the other good weapons that are available as early and often at lesser cost even (think Flail of Ages as the extreme example). The extra THAC0 is a bonus for sure, but ultimately I do believe that your gold in the early game is better spent elsewhere. Late game, of course, gold doesn't matter - but by then you also have many better weapons at your disposal anyway.

Doesn't help that short swords are also piercing damage, which is the most common resisted-against weapon damage type.

Btw, the enchantment level shouldn't really matter early game (barring cheese vs. Kangaxx or such).
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited December 2015

It's probably not worth it. Even though it's +4, the damage is actually a mere 1 average damage point above a measly, plain Longsword+2 (1d6+4 = 7.5 avg / 1d8+2 = 6.5 avg

100% true, and there are very good longswords you can get very early
    Namarra is available early and easy to get (and free), and its average damage is 8.5
    Varscona can be obtained in Chateau Irenicus
    Daystar is a little harder to get with SCS but still available early
    And there are certainly many more
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Aerakar said:

The extra THAC0 is a bonus for sure, but ultimately I do believe that your gold in the early game is better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, +2 THAC0 is no joke for a pure-class Thief. I almost never buy it, but there are certainly worse ways to spend money.

Speaking of which, have a look at my wares. I trust you'll find them all in satisfactory condition.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,028
    I prefer the small blades and missile weapons for my Halfling footpads. The long swords are tempting though, as are the quarterstaffs...
    There is no denying the value of THAC0, however it's rarely a straight-up choice. I was just using the example to illustrate that even fairly mediocre weapons are not that far off from the SSoM+4. Actually GOOD weapons blow it out of the water, +4 enchant or not. Considering how easy it is to get good weapons even in early SoA, you really are better off investing your gold into something else rather than the SSoM+4 (and as mentioned, once gold is a non-concern you have access to a whole array of much better weapons).

If you're buying something at WK, surely it must be Firetooth! :P
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Aerakar was mentioning an Assassin character, for which the Short Sword of Mask would be an excellent option, since thieves benefit substantially more from THAC0 than fighters.

@Aerakar was mentioning an Assassin character, for which the Short Sword of Mask would be an excellent option, since thieves benefit substantially more from THAC0 than fighters.

But don't they get a THAC0 bonus for attacking from stealth, while also MULTIPLYING their damage - meaning damage is actually more important, especially for Assassins? When every extra damage point is x7 suddenly things look very different I'd say...

Not to mention that for backstabs, you could just as well use a 2h weapon like a quarterstaff - say, Staff of Rynn+4, which is also easily available and deals the same damage with the same THAC0, while being cheaper (I think?) and having a better damage type.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    I use it on anyone that uses short swords, mostly Mazzy when she needs to melee. Haer' Dalis usually uses APR weapons or MMM and between bard buffs/gear doesn't need it.
    For the record, I've seen that entangle effect proc on highly resistant monsters, I think the effect ignores saves/MR but not immunity. Dragons ignore it.