Skip to content

Which Edwin portrait do you prefer?

13»

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    WOW. that Paint BG is so cool. I love Edwin 3, I love the Imoens (so much for appropriate for my "mind's eye" version of the character) and the Aeries are all cool.

No Boo breaks my heart though.

Also the Darian (original looked out of place) and the Angelo (though I love the original) mod NPC portraits are also really cool.

How do I install that and how do I make it so that when Edwin gets his "operation" the Edwina portrait can show up?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Aranthys said:

LadyRhian said:

even though the picture makes it look like Edwin has hair

Edwin was supposed to be bald? 0_0
    Never new that. That changes my entire mental image of him.
    In PnP, Red Wizards shave their heads. But Edwin portrait isn't shaved (Something I don't care much about, to be honest)

Also, beards are usually viewed as "barbaric and uncivilized" by them. I find the BG1 portrait more accurate. First, the hood is low enough to not show the hair (should it exist), and what can be seen could as well be some sort of circlet or headband. Second, the facial hair looks closer to "unshaved because lack of shaving opportunities due to travel", where the BG2 portrait is firmly in the beard accessories & styling department. Edwin still is (or claims to be, or aspires to become again) a Red Wizard even in exile, and he was raised in Thayan culture. I don't think he would drop fundamental views so easily.
    jackjackbooinyoureyesSassyGoldElf
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I always murderize him, so I guess I "prefer" the grey portrait.
    TethorilofLathanderbooinyoureyesjackjackWandering_Minstrel
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Aranthys said:

Artastrophe version from the PaintBG portrait pack is the best :D (EDWIN3 !)

See http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55677-paintbg-introduction-and-samples/ for more info :p

It's really great of artastrophe to put all that effort into not only companions, but also NPCs, PCs, and mod companions also. However, for myself there is something about the PaintBG mod that really bothers me.

To my eyes the pictures just look really super generic. Like any of the portraits could be any character from any DnD game. Even minsc looks generic in spite of the "I AM MINSC!" tattoo. Not that the portraits aren't beautiful and worthy; just not my thing really.

I like the original Edwin over the BG2 Edwin portrait.
    KidCarnivalCrevsDaakjackjackbooinyoureyes
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I prefer the BG2 one. With the BG1 portrait (with no offense meant to the employee modeling for BG1 Edwin) I just don't see it having the same sharp look of intelligence and conceit. I imagine Edwin as someone who's never (or extremely rarely, such as with the nether scroll incident) caught off guard or with a surprised, non-controlled look on his face. A bit like how Barney Stinson always looks sharp on photographs in HIMYM.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    BG2 - I prefer the art style.
    CrevsDaak
    In my game Neera just commented on how Edwin has hair.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I like them both!

------

I'm gonna be "that guy" - When people splice together portrait edits, it looks awful.

There, I said it.

Now that said, when people make portraits from scratch? Awesome. But splicing together bits and pieces? It's painful to look at. Please stop, you're just bastardizing perfectly good artwork.
    booinyoureyesKidCarnivalCrevsDaakjackjack
    edited December 2013
    Quartz said:

I'm gonna be "that guy" - When people splice together portrait edits, it looks awful.

I agree, with a few exceptions. I like some of the ones tht take the "generic human fighter in plate male" and add facial hair and a hood.

The ones that take old Edwin or Imoen's face and past it in the middle of new Edwin or Imoen's portraits remind me of the toys that the main kids neighbor made in first Toy Story movie.
    meagloth
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Quartz said:

I like them both!

------

There, I said it.

Now that said, when people make portraits from scratch? Awesome. But splicing together bits and pieces? It's painful to look at. Please stop, you're just bastardizing perfectly good artwork.

I'll add to it: Celeb portraits/photos pasted on BG artwork. Simply awful; the mismatch is so obvious.

jackjackQuartzbooinyoureyes
  • Wandering_MinstrelWandering_Minstrel Member Posts: 197
    BG1. I don't like the crap in the hair or face in the BG2 portraits. However, I do prefer Vicconia's BG2 portrait; her BG1 portrait does not look right.
    GemHoundCrevsDaak
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Nice find Bengoshi. Even though there's no red hats those two Edwin pics really has me thinking of FF red mages for some reason.
    jackjackCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    I'm a big fan of the PaintBG portraits. I particularly appreciate that several of the NPCs have several versions of their portraits, so you can have the lore-friendly bald, tattooed Edwin if you want (or not).

I also appreciate the wide variety of pc portraits available.

They are all high quality, but perhaps the greatest advantage of all is that you can get a huge variety of portraits for all the npcs and your pc that look artistically consistent, which isn't always easy to get.
    JuliusBorisov