Skip to content

[v1.2, Graphics] Minimap palette does not change at night (retains day colors)

In vanilla BG2 engine, areas without Extended Night flag (i.e. without alternate night tileset) are automatically repaletted at night hours to look dark and gloomy. And the same thing also happens with area minimap.

In BGEE (and BG2EE) engine the minimap in such areas does not change colors during night hours.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Those areas may lack night time art for the map screen. It may be difficult to make that art.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    edited December 2013
    Tresset said:

Those areas may lack night time art for the map screen. It may be difficult to make that art.

No, you misunderstand. Original BG2 engine did not use different art in described case, it created this "art" on the fly by recoloring the existing daytime outdoor maps. Whether or not this is done is controlled by one of the flag bits in the ARE file, known as "Extended Night".

An example of such area is Beregost (AR3300 in BGEE, FW3300 in Tutu, AR6700 in BGT).
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    edited December 2013
    Here's how Beregost area minimap at nighttime looks in Tutu, and in BGEE. I checked and The Extended Night flag is 0 in both ARE files (1 would tell it to use an alternate night tileset - which would be the "different art" you're referring to).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Interesting. I will look into this.