Skip to content

What do you guys think of Icewind Dale?

GotNoUsernameGotNoUsername Member Posts: 49
In my opinion Ice wind dale 1 was OK a little to much fighting and less quests and Story, but Icewind dale 2 is even worse the story is too similar to the first one and the new rule-set feels a little too stiff.
Does anyone know if they already decided which rule set they may use in BG3. The B1 +B2 rule-sets where great we just need more kits and spells and quests, what lifts BG1 + 2 over the most games is the story the characters and the huge amount of quests. I also plan to play planescape torment again.
Can some one outline wich rules where uses in what games and which you like best and why?

PS: Sorry if we have this topic already pls merge it , I miss a search option in the forum ? Where can I find it ?

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Can some one outline wich rules where uses in what games and which you like best and why?

All infinity engine games (except IWD2) uses 2nd Edition D&D rules. IWD2 uses 3rd Edition.
    I generally prefer 3rd Edition in normal D&D, but 2nd works fine for these games. I do have to say that IWD2 had the most polished engine with many very useful options (like assigning weapon groups).

Baldur's Gate 3 will probably use the most current ruleset from Wizards of the Coast (D&D's publishers), which is 4th Edition at the moment, though if it's released in 2 years, it might feature 5th (aka D&D Next), which sounds better than 4th from what I've heard so far.
  • TehCerealKillerTehCerealKiller Member Posts: 56
    I didn't really like not having any NPC's that could join the party. The only bonus (and it's a small bonus) is that you don't have to deal with npc's that have a really low ability in something they need like Keldorn from BG2 whose a Pally with only a friggin 9 dex (That pissed me off) or Khalid (So glad he dies) a Fighter with a 15 STR (What the F??!)
    DragonspearJaysamaFake_Sketch
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Good games, no story
    Jaysama
  • GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2012
    Loved it , specially the end video :D

"...and waiting for the day when he will return to the faerun & exact his revenge muahahahahaha " XD

+ music was mindblowing
    Ward
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    I personally loved the IWD series. The tactical combat is so much better than the junk that is in most games today where you do the same tactic about a million times. I always thought of IWD as BG Lite:)
    JaysamaFake_Sketch
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I liked IWD1. But Icewind Dale 2 wasn't nearly as fun as the first one. For one thing the plot was really dull.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Why does Keldorn need dexterity? It doesn't effect his fighting and he already wears full plate. He just needs to stand there and soak up damage so your spell casters don't get bothered while making the universe their bitch.

As for Khalid, strength of 15 isn't the worse thing in the world.
    QuartzElandirJaysama
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2012
    Low dexterity would affect his ac though.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    well i found iwd easier than bg (at least before heart of fury) but it was still fun to play without constant nagging from some npc about some guest to do or they will leave.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    IWD.. cool games with a killer flaw

random loot

Storywise major steps are defined, just imagine the rest, its an rpg after all. But random loot instantly transformed this adventure, an epic hunt after epic treasures into some generic Diablo. And Diablo is a better game. Its one thing to destroy a dragon and find the Carsomyr, and another to kill a dragon and find a longsword +1, and actually find the Carsomyr in some generic goblin chest. It doesnt even makes sense.

IWD2 additionally completely messed up the armor/defense system, you needed like 70AC to fight in melee. Summons were overpowered etc.. not very fun.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The gameplay and mechanical aspects of the IWD series are great, but they suffer in comparison to the other D&D games by having your party consist entirely of blank slates - you can't really form emotional connections with the characters the way you would in "Baldur's Gate" or "Planescape Torment" (the latter perhaps being the very best example in an RPG of how to have a rich, diverse group of followers to interact with).
    purebredcornSilver6986
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,497
    I love IWD, it's the only game I play as a tourist, I simply can't stop visiting all those places with their great scenery and soundtracks.
    IWD2 added so much choice but choice does not make a better game, it was really far less memorable.

There is a mod which adds NPCs, which seems quite well voiced.
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    I just finished IWD2, just a couple of hours ago. Nice game, but come on guys, at some point after the Underdark, I stopped and asked myself why I was continuing to kill. No man had commissioned me nothing, no personal purpose... Perhaps the spirit of adventure.
    Then the battles: in BG saga to beat a mage, a lich or a dragon you have to study the battle, choose spells, lowering magic resistance and remove protections: in IWD2 I have beaten two white dragons at level 11, almost exclusively with warriors, but mostly, I beat a lich with 2-3 fireballs!

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    You can't really compare the BG series to the IWD series. Baldur's Gate is first and foremost a role playing game focused on character development. IWD is a tactical combat focused RPG. Personally I love both series on their own merits.
    Arabus13Drugarunfortunate_oneJaysama
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I thought that I would love IWD because I could make my entire party. Found out that it was just a solo D&D game at that point - I wasn't invested in any of them. So, I ended up learning that the NPC's matter more than I think and I'd rather they not be quite the class or have quite the stats that I'd prefer than tweak them into automatons.

IWD wasn't a bad game. I just didn't love it the way that I love BG.
    Syntia13Bjjoricklakrids
  • CentoparCentopar Member Posts: 17
    I would probably have liked it much more if I'd never played BG. As it was, I was disappointed; it was beautiful and the fighting was fun, but it didn't have the character or story depth that made the BG series stand out (and still makes them worth poking with Overhaul's rod of resurrection!)
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    Sceptenar said:

You can't really compare the BG series to the IWD series. Baldur's Gate is first and foremost a role playing game focused on character development. IWD is a tactical combat focused RPG. Personally I love both series on their own merits.

Even the developers of IWD acknowledged this. They made IWD less about RP and more on combat.

Djimmyunfortunate_oneSilver6986
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited August 2012
    Arabus13 said:

Sceptenar said:

Even the developers of IWD acknowledged this. They made IWD less about RP and more on combat.

That's right but they both are awesome games. If I had to choose I would put them both in my top 1 favourite games.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    For me, these games were perfect, Iwd1 and Iwd2. I love to play the content again and again, to try with a cleric, a thief, a mage, a full team of mage, a full team of paladin, a full team of drow, etc.

Iwd1 and Iwd2 is for those who want to play again and again because they love the customisation and the combat system. I love to play to dude that is not special at all, just another mercenary, he's not an hero, he just keep fighting when other flees.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2012
    All I remember about the IWD franchise is the attack on the village at the outset, no idea if it was 1 or 2. IWD was much too linear and combat-focused for my tastes. Additionally, I thought the backdrops got repetitive, I got tired of seeing snow and ice for hours on end. This is consistent w/ the setting, but I got bored w/ it quickly.

The stories from IWD were wholly forgettable, as well. I only played the series because I was jonesin for some new BG-esque isometric action.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Basically what @Permidion_Stark said.
    It looks pretty and sounds fantastic but it felt like i was playing Baldur`s gate tactics.
    Just as disappointed as when i played Fallout tactics.
    Later though, when nostalgia kicked in i was able to enjoy both games for what they are.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As some posters have touched upon, I found the IWD games mostly empty and pointless. I suspect I would feel the same about BG if you stripped away most of the story context, character interactions and epic sense of adventure.. it's where the heart of the game is to me.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I consider myself a well-rounded individual, with the ability to appreciate both gameplay and story. GASP!

I really like the Infinity Engine gameplay, so I loved the chance to stomp around in IWD1 and IWD2.
    JolanthusTwilight_Fox
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    I love Icewind Dale. Actually, I'm replaying it right now!
    - The production values are amazing. I often just stand doing nothing in Kuldahar and bathe in the aural and visual atmosphere. It's like being there.
    - All the combat, balancing, monsters, battles etc. are really well designed, balanced and challenging throughout.
    - Voice acting is first-class, including the voice sets available for your party.
    - The story is more than adequate. It's of course no comparison with BG, but it's impressive compared to most other combat-focused RPGs (Dungeon Siege, Diablo, etc). The setting feels authentic and immersive.
    - It features Xan's brother

MoomintrollKenji
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2012
    If I had to have 3rd iwd2 did it best. Still the superman powers need to be scaled back. 2 dragons stupid easy. Also, the plot could have been alright if the story had even been slightly personal and if we could have explored the ten towns and had control over where we went. The games were all boringly diablo in their linearness. Revamp them bringing in npcs, letting us travel the towns, and making the enemies personal and I'd like it.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I've probably played IWD 1&2 more times than BG1&2 and can appreciate the difference in the two games to love them both.
    Twilight_FoxxLegionx