Skip to content

The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I go to Beregost for XP then to FAI and then to Nashkel.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited December 2013
    I actually recently started to go to the ankheg farm first so I could get some shells for Thunderhammer right off the bat. Yes, just me and Imoen... I do usually survive, yes... No cheats... No cheese... No reloads... Killed 4...
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    I always go after the belt Ogre between the Friendly Arm and Beregost since you can sell the Masculinity/Femininity Girdle for 100GP (pretty good for the early game) and the Girdle of Piercing is the most useful belt in the early game because of how dangerous archers can be. It's also nice experience for a level 1 party too.

I almost always go to the Friendly Arm afterwards to get the Ring of Wizardry and pick up NPC's. Ajantis is great for a good party and Viconia is great for an evil one, and they're better the earlier you get them.

Then Beregost/High Hedge, Nashkell, Gnoll Stronghold, and a lot of wilderness areas.
    CrevsDaakjackjackDreadnaught
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Mithcfork you are forgetting 1) the Diamond in Candlekeep Coastway, 2) the ring in the rock in Lion's Coastway :P
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    CrevsDaak said:

@Mithcfork you are forgetting 1) the Diamond in Candlekeep Coastway, 2) the ring in the rock in Lion's Coastway :P

I thought those went without saying, haha. I remember finding that ring as a kid too, but I never found the Diamond until I looked at a guide.
    CrevsDaak
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I do what I think is the easiest path for early game encounters, which also follows the path to gather the canon NPCs. Basically first to FAI for Khalid and Jaheira, and then down to Nashkel for Minsc, then big detour to the Gnoll Stronghold for Dynaheir. By the time they return to Nashkel, this party is capable of handling the mines.
    BelgarathMTH[Deleted User]Nildar
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I take Imoen, grab the Ring of Wizardry and sell it at High Hedge for the wand of sleep. Then I can go anywhere! Imoen walks around in stealth and puts everything to sleep.

Sometimes I'll grab Viconia to take down assassins like the one in front of the Friendly Arm, or Kivan to hunt basilisks... or maybe take a trip to Ulgoth's Beard for the nice items there.
    jackjackCrevsDaak
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    After discovering the basilisks the game lost a little bit of early level panic for me. I can solo the map with only Korax on team at level 1 (with a little bit of luck).
    PantalionFrond
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    First, Imoen goes hug the wolf, then I proceed to team up with Monty and Xzar and to FAI. Should Imoen be alive, I let her melee Tarnesh or remove her from the party while she's panicking. Sometimes, I just dump her right after she forces herself on me though.
    After that, I get the belts from the ogre and proceed to Beregost to meet Kagain. After that, it depends if I plan to dual Xzar and keep Monty as thief (if yes, to Nashkel to get Branwen and Edwin) or if I plan with Shar-Teel as thief (usually when I'm a cleric myself; in that case I obviously skip Branwen and go for Shar-Teel).
    jackjackShikaoCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    nano said:

I take Imoen, grab the Ring of Wizardry and sell it

Blasphemer, Heretic, etcetera!
    In all seriousness, kudos for making it useful in an unorthodox way.
    nanoCrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I like to powerhouse the soon i can. So i just go to FAI, straight north to the ankhegs area, and kill some ankhegs at level 1 foward. It's hard in the first level, but if you know what you're doing it's possible. Just force the ankhegs to range attack, then go to melee combat, they don't change to melee often after they start with range attacks.

After that i sometimes go straight to basiliscus area, to true powerhouse (i get about level 6 with my entire party using only 2 maps of the game), or i start to recruit some NPCs before, for character development (so i avoid low life rolls and automatic proficience distribution).
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I think I follow the "planned path" fairly closely as well:

- Happy to see Imoen
    - Grab Xzar and Montaron even though they seem unsavoury as it does indeed seem better to travel together
    - Head for the Friendly Arm, exploring the two zones I pass through to get there thoroughly
    - Grab Jaheira and Khalid
    - RP Montaron killing Joia (the woman with the flamedance ring quest) to keep her ring for himself - this leads to a parting of the ways and Montaron and Xzar getting booted from the party (it's actually a means of removing them so I can grab Neera in Beregost)
    - Start heading south
    CrevsDaakBelgarathMTHShikao
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    If I'm roleplaying, I go back to Candlekeep and drop Imoen off at the gates. Then I go to the nearest tavern and drink up all my gold... Then I use my lack of gold and hungry belly as an excuse to do something, which usually involves Nashkel and the Mines.

If I'm just regular playing... I go collecting all the hidden loot, and will solo a few easy quests in Beregost to gain a level or two. Then it's off to the mines.
    Wolketotheo
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    After leading Imoen away from the area transition, South, then North to pick up the sexy belt of lolimmune, then East all the way to Basilisk hell. Korax usually survives long enough to take out the entire area without risk, even with SCS, until Charname is a comfortable level 3-4 multiclass. At that point I head to Beregost, grab a few magic missiles (as in arrows or bullets, not scrolls), then kill some Flesh Golems that were infesting High Hedge, acquire a chicken to quantumly murder.

By this point I've probably amassed enough XP to have every character I meet be level 6, so I head off to recruit whomever and get on with my game.
    Jarleale
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    A classy-looking mage with a pointy hat tells me to go to the Friendly Arm Inn, so that's what I do. I kill the ogre with the belts on the way by running around as Imoen makes him look like a porcupine with her bow. Then I pick up Khalid and Jaheira; they have long been Gorion's friends and I can trust them. After that it's off to civilization which means Beregost. I fire the rest of the team tell the others to wait outside as I go into Feldepost's Inn where I talk down Marl, have a mead, then go out and pick everyone else up again. After that it's wherever. Often the carnival for Branwen though.

right after she forces herself on me though.

... words fail me.
    Moczo
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Tresset said:

I actually recently started to go to the ankheg farm first so I could get some shells for Thunderhammer right off the bat. Yes, just me and Imoen... I do usually survive, yes... No cheats... No cheese... No reloads... Killed 4...

Why?! When you get a free one in Nashkel?

Whatever I am roll playing. Neutral or Evil I pick up monty and xzar. If I am evil or stubborn I ignore my dying foster fathers last words of advice and just tag along with them to Nashkel. If I am neutral or chaotic, I'll head to FAI with them and watch them duke it out with the harpers.

If I am playing a thief, I set up shop in Beregost and start a little guild there. Ranger or druid, I usually wander the wilds (going through high hedge not beregost) until i meet up with one of the NPCs that talk about the troubles in the mines of Nashkel then head there to investigate.

If I am a good little boy, I may listen to Gorion and head to FAI first to meet up with Khalid and Jaheira, but it is rare.
  • sylvanussylvanus Member Posts: 27
    First I kill the ogre, then I collect khalid and jaheira. I will then move south to beregost. For me arriving in beregost with my level one party is one of my favourite parts of the game.
    CrevsDaak
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I always do the common, expected thing - first, I pick up Imoen, Xzar, and Montaron. Then, I go to the FAI and kill Tarnesh using Xzar and Monty. (My PC is almost always a bard, a mage, a cleric, a cleric-mage, or an inquisitor.)

Then, I dump Xzar and Monty, because they were giving Imoen and me the creeps, and join up with Jaheira and Khalid.

What I do next depends - I usually use either Jaheira and Khalid for the whole game, or Branwen and Ajantis as a variation. If I am going to use J & K, I go straight to the belt ogre, then meander south to Nashkel to get Minsc, then to Dynaheir.

If I have decided to use Branwen and Ajantis, I take J & K north to get AJ, then immediately head back south and skip the ogre, because I want Branwen to get the xp for it. So, I go directly to Nashkel as quickly as possible, buy a Stone to Flesh scroll in the temple, pick up Minsc (or ignore him if I'm planning a four-member party instead of six), and go to the carnival to get Branwen, after which I dump J & K.

I then do the entire southwest including the gnoll fortress and the mines, in no particular order, unless I've got Minsc, in which case I beeline for the gnoll fortress.
    CrevsDaak
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    I go for the Friendly Arm Inn and pick up the hidden ring of wizardy. Then I head north to the farm complete the Umberlee and farmer quest and then head south to kill the ogre then pick up Kivan and then Neera. After I get those two I head over pick up Minsc and then head west to the sirine area and kill those things off with minscs beserk and then claim the book on consitution then level up. I level up 3-4 levels in 5 hours. Ta daaa!
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    If I feel like cheesing some easy XP, the Basilisk area. If I want easy XP but not feeling cheesy, I go clear some of Beregost. If I feel like following what everyone tells me to do, I go the the FAI.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I love my cheese so usually get to level 2 or 3 BEFORE leaving Candle Keep and with a nice amount of gold by killing watchmen. I buy some reputation back so as not to upset Imoen if needed.

AFTER that, I head straight to Drizzt, south west of High Hedge and trap him to death for his equipment and the experience. Then I just dispose of whatever gives good rewards and work my way up to level 5 so the NPCs I recruit get to level 6.
    nanojackjackCrevsDaaketotheo
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    The cheese is strong with this one... I like it!
    jackjackCrevsDaakXcidium
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Usually to Beregost for XP (and Kagain),
    (Friendly Arm Inn can wait!)
    then either a bit southern to Nashkel and Nashkel mines (and Dorn/Rasaad). Head back,
    (Nashkel mines can wait too),
    do a couple of quests in Nashkel/Beregost or High Hedge,
    (screw Iron Shortage. It CAN wait)
    and then I usually head back to FAI (and Viconia)
    (okay...maybe FAI can't wait THAT long!)
    ...and then I spend weeks and weeks running around and doing menial quests,
    (a giant man in a spiky armour trying to kill me? phew!)
    hoarding gold
    (that CAN NOT WAIT!)
    and eventually strutting around Candlekeep Mines and finally getting to Baldur's Gate, where I finally finish the game.
    (Your plan ends now!)
    CrevsDaakShikaoNonnahswriter
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I generally wander around the coast. If I'm playing good, pick up Imoen. Maybe pick up Xzar and Monty if I'm evil and not going with Edwin. Head east and take get the ring of princes and take out the ogre. Clear out the area around the friendly arm inn area and get Joia's ring. Over to Peldvale. If I'm evil I'll pick up Viconia, otherwise its just to snag that sweet plate armor of the flaming fist mercenary that's harrassing her, then head South.

I just started an evil Blade playthrough, and passed on Imoen, Xzar, Monty, Jaheira and Khalid, so Vicky was my first NPC. Due to stumbling across a dread wolf right after candlekeep, and actually taking it out solo, I managed to hit level 3 before even getting to her. So she was 4th level when I got to her. Now I'm finding all the original npcs are 4th level when I get them. So Khagain, Shar-teel and Edwin were also 4th level. Kinda sucks Neera and Dorn were a couple levels behind everyone else. I had to EEKeeper Shar-Teel to fix her, since her proficiency distribution gets even worse than at level 2 when you pick her up at 4.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    It largely depends on what PC I'm playing. If I'm playing a fighter or something else that's front-y (like a Ranger with Cleric weapons ;)) I'll pick up the rest of the Canon party and use Minsc & Khalid as archers. If I'm playing a rogue (which for me is usually bard) or an arcane caster I'll make a beeline for Mellicamp. If I'm a bard I'll go rob/kill Algernon next, if I'm arcane I'll head north to the FAI next. Everyone rescues/slays Dynaheir as soon as possible for the DEX gauntlets and a CHA upgrade.

For my Solo Divine games with the randomizer on, it's basically do all the everythings.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    -Rifle through my dead father's belongings. We're going on a dangerous journey and the guy only gives me a Cure Light Wounds. Unbelievable...
    -Grab the Diamond!
    -Wolf Piniata and the +1 Ring
    -Ogre Kiting
    -FAI, getting my pantaloons and Jaheria's Potion of Invisibility
    -Ankheg Nest quests
    -Get the charm cloak and Wand of Lightning in Beregost
    -Talk down and then backstab Marl
    -Kill Silke and the Assassin in the Inn
    -Get Ankheg Plate Mail and Pearl in Nashkell
    -Kill Bassillus, Loot Hammer
    -Kill Flesh Golems, get +1 CON tome
  • Ziva75Ziva75 Member Posts: 25
    God I'm pretty predictable with this; I usually always take the road east to the crossroad, then go north to the FAI.. just as Gorian instructed!

Then again, I'm always rping a lawful good stooge :p

Naturally after getting Kahlid and Jaheira, I take their godfatherly (and motherly) advice and head to Nashkel...then do the mine quest.

Only after that do I feel free and ready to explore the game at my own pace, wherever I want to. I usually don't end up hitting the Bandit camp until I've explored just about every area there is to explore..

After the bandit camp, I do the cloakwood... and then I do Ugoloth beard....plane shift quest...then durlag's freaking tower... and then the werewolves.

Then I finally explore all of Baldur's Gate...and am mostly doing just the main plot at that point.

• XcidiumXcidium Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2014
    Tyranus said:

-Talk down and then backstab Marl

I want BG3 to be about Marl's brother-in-law, a lich, who knows exactly what you did there, but bides time getting retribution. He goes and knobbles a Gnomish Chronomancer, Thnurflblatt Turnipberg, and steals an ensorcled talisman that permits some limited time-travel. Well, enough time-travel for Marls' brother-in-law to go and prune your family tree. Of course every good Gnome keeps two of anything worthwhile, so you go and get the talisman's twin and attempt to do likewise unto Lichypoo before he does unto you. Or something like that. Enjoy watching charname "modify" in stats and skills as your family tree becomes more bent than a bonsai. Of course, you'll have to make some ethically unpleasant choices to save your skin, but then you did go and snot Marl, so all's fair, right?

stygga[Deleted User]
  • Bhaals_PawnBhaals_Pawn Member Posts: 3
    It depends partly on the player character's class and largely on alignment. Assuming I'm playing a good aligned character I usually pick up Imoen, Xvar and Montaron then head directly for the Friendly Arm Inn where I pick up Khalid and Jaheira. From there straight to Nashkel, kill Montaron and replace him from Minsc. I then try to pick up Dynaheir before I hit level two and replace Xvar with her. This is where my games tend to fork off. Sometimes I'll use this party the whole way, especially if the Player Character is a Mage or a Cleric. If I'm I Fighter I often ditch Khalid and Jaheira, and pick up Ajantis and Branwen. If I get to Nashkel soon enough I sometimes switch out Dynaheir for Xan. If I'm playing as a Thief I'll take out Imoen and switch her out with Branwen or Xan. Minsc is my only real constant, for pure entertainment purposes. His weaknesses statwise are obvious (moderate Dexterity and Constitution, Boo permanently in an Item slot), but his character strengths are many.