Skip to content

Earliest Haste Scroll

Topic says it all; spoiler: The earliest haste scroll I know of in bg classic is in cloakwood mines on a mage 2nd floor. anyone know a quciker way to get haste apart from recruiting edwin when he is level 6?

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I think Baeloth also has haste, which only requires level 5. I don't know of any others.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    There are 5 of them in durlag's tower second floor down. Good luck getting past the warders though.

Aside from that it is a rare random drop from creatures that drop level 3 spell scrolls such as ogre mages, doppelgangers and greater basilisks and others.
    lolien
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Cloakwood level 2 is arguably pretty early. I mean, Nashkel > Bandit Camp > Cloakwood, you could probably get there before you are even high enough to cast level 3s.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    I think Tethyr in the High Hedge sells some.
    TALANTHYR! Not Tethyr, Saradush is in Tethyr.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    CrevsDaak said:

Why do I live in such a pissant town? ...
    CrevsDaaknanojackjack[Deleted User]
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Thalantyr, mighty Mage of Beregost, does not sell Haste Scrolls. You can get them at Sorcerous Sundries in BG, but that's even further along than cloakwood.
    jackjacklolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Bigfish well, I didn't remember much from BG:EE :P
    You can get lots in Durlag's Tower's second basement, but it will be difficult for low level parties, you can easily do it in chapter 2 if you have a good thief.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    A quicker way would be to play a Sorcerer or Dragon Disciple - that way you can get Haste as soon as you're capable of casting it.
    CrevsDaakelminsterlolien
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Sorcerers and dragon disciples require level 6 to cast level 3 spells.
    Going to Cloakwood will be waaay faster unless playing a very small party.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Calmar said:

CrevsDaak said:

Bgawk!

But Cloakwood is so far... I feel like the game is mostly over if I can beat Dave. I'd rather go pop some basilisks for xp.
    jackjack
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Probably one of the easiest ways is to save before releasing Kahrk from the bottle and then reload until he drops it when you kill him. If you can kill him it shouldn't be too long before he drops a haste scroll.
    lolien
  • rion26rion26 Member Posts: 25
    nano said:

Calmar said:

CrevsDaak said:

Bgawk!

But Cloakwood is so far... I feel like the game is mostly over if I can beat Dave. I'd rather go pop some basilisks for xp.
    very true. I feel like playing the first half of the game in slo-mo, and ind solo no reload games durlags tower and karkh are no really an option. *sigh*
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    CrevsDaak said:

well, I didn't remember much from BG:EE :P

someone spent too much time purveying the fine wines and ales of the inns of the sword coast, methinks! Did you get to Volo and the rest became a drunken blur?
    jackjackelminsterlolienMontresor_SP
  • ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
    I think it's in the Cloakwood mines... I was trying to find one in the open world before BG but think it's only a rare off a greater basilisk or an ogre mage? I've tried reloading multiple times killing ogre mages but have yet to find it... so I think it's just the mines.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Tresset said:

Probably one of the easiest ways is to save before releasing Kahrk from the bottle and then reload until he drops it when you kill him. If you can kill him it shouldn't be too long before he drops a haste scroll.

there is actually an easier way then doing it that way ( since kahrk can be quite the difficult foe to fight over and over again)

if you go to gullykin and go into the little hut on the most left side of the town, and go downstairs there will be a little Halfling down there they will go hostile at you - especially if you rat him out on the kobold problem- then quick save your game, go through the book case and there will immediately be an ogre mage right there, keep reloading your quick save every time he doesn't drop a haste scroll

in my opinion this is probably the easiest and fastest way to get a haste scroll that doesn't require going to cloakwood or durlags tower to get one, I've done this a few times to get one, sometimes it takes 100 reloads, sometimes it takes 10

dunbarlolien
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Why do you want one?
    I mean obviously we all want one, but to go out of your way, it must be important.

Why do you want one?
    I mean obviously we all want one, but to go out of your way, it must be important.

sometimes having haste before getting it from the cloakwood mines is quite nice, I remember kahrk gave me haste once when my team was around 20 000 xp each and it was awesome

lolien
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @sarevok57

I was just wondering if there was something in particular the OP wanted it for, some exploit or other, or plan to be carried out.
    (in other words, have they got an idea that the rest of us might like to use now it's been thought of)
    sarevok57
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

I mean obviously we all want one

Well, it depends. I usually prefer Slow (especially in BG:EE) due to the period of fatigue following the expiration of Haste. Haste is probably more useful when dealing with groups of enemies that are highly resistant to magic......

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    I think you get haste early enough, so my favorite level 3 scroll drop is Invisibility 10'. Not otherwise available and extremely useful, allowing you to routinely set up full party ambushes.
    sarevok57
    Ammar said:

I think you get haste early enough, so my favorite level 3 scroll drop is Invisibility 10'. Not otherwise available and extremely useful, allowing you to routinely set up full party ambushes.

invisibility 10' radius is a great spell, what I do to get it is; the one house in bg the city has 5 ogre mages, and I reload kill those guys until one of them eventually drops it, because the only way to get it is a random drop from a random treasure 5, and hoping that someone else is going to drop it instead can take a long time

although I have had games where I unintentionally find like 5 of them in one game, but then I could play 10 games in a row and not find it at all, but because I do the reload ogre mage thing, I always find at least one now :)