Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Write spell button does not appear.

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
The 'Write Spell' button doesn't appear when i open the scroll neither at the side of the name of the spell appear the register of "this spell is already on your spellbook" (it's not by the way).

This appears to be a computer-related issue, as it does not occur on every computer setup.

First hardware list:
  • Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1.
  • Topsfield DP43TF.
  • Pentium dual-core E5300 2.60 GHz.
  • 4GB Ram.
  • GeForce 9400 GT.
Second hardware list:
  • TOSHIBA Satellite A300
  • Windows Vista 32-bit, Service Pack 2.
  • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, Socket P (478)
  • On-board graphics.
  • North Bridge: Intel GM45/GM47 Revision 07
  • South Bridge: Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) Revision 03
  • 3GB Ram.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Gate70, the button to learn the spell is not displayed and so no message appears. It's a usability issue rather than an actual bug. The player, especially a new player who likely wouldn't have read the rules, is left wondering why they cannot memorise more spells.

I'll move this to Not An Issue. It can be moved back if it is a genuine issue, but it appears to be operating as intended.
    @Gate70,

This is the image I get in 2030 when the scroll is in Imoen's inventory:

The button only becomes available when a Potion of Genius is used.
    Huh. Yeah, I just checked on one of my desktops and I'm getting the same thing. Wonder if it's something hardware related as to why the button isn't appearing? Or perhaps resolution?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Strange this issue, no? Maybe deserving a bit of attention of the coders to see why some PCs display the issue one way and others in another way.

My PC configurations by the way:

Windows 7 ultimate (with service pack 1)

Topsfield DP43TF
    Pentium dual-core E5300 2.60 GHz
    4GB Ram
    GeForce 9400 GT

But @Troodon80, in my system with the button to write spell being invisible, for me it's a bug then, no? For me and for other people which system configuration give them the same problem.

Gonna add the spell through Shadow Keeper for now, but a fix on this would be nice.
    @kamuizin, sure sounds like a bug. At least for the non-displayal of the button. The actual feature, as in not being able to write the spell, is fine. You can 'legally' obtain the spell by using a Potion of Genius.

This doesn't just apply to Protection from Magical Weapons, it applies to all spells of that level. If you use CreateItem("SCRL7Z") and move it to Imoen's inventory, you can find the same thing.

I'll move this back and see if we can find out what is causing this issue, as well as edit the original post with more information. The current information is for that spell, but it's actually nothing to do with the spell itself, it's the non-displayal of the button.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited December 2013
    Yes, that i already know, i didn't make the thread in reason of not getting the spell for inteligence limits as i play this game since (edit to correct misspelled word) the release of the old game, but in reason of the write magic button not being displayed.

I noticed now that the absent of the write magic button is due to the spell limit reached, i didn't made this link between the issues before.
    Post edited by kamuizin on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I don't think this is a bug, the difference is this option:

'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '1',

If you have it at 0, then the button won't appear if you couldn't learn the spell.
    If you have it at 1, the button will appear, but you might get an informative error message why you can't write the spell.