Skip to content

Most Dreaded Spells

2»

Comments

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709

When an enemy uses timestop I curse. It's one of the reasons why I cheese Irenicus by running off screen out of his visual range, because by the time I end up fighting him at my level, he'll have Time stop and spam Horrid Wilting and Power Word, Kill, which is probably the most aggravating thing imaginable

Are you talking about the tree battle? Anyone just standing around like that oblivious to his surroundings just deserves to be trapped to the max... :)

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Stupid spell defenses because I have to penetrate them.
  • karnagekarnage Member Posts: 92
    Skaffen said:

When an enemy uses timestop I curse. It's one of the reasons why I cheese Irenicus by running off screen out of his visual range, because by the time I end up fighting him at my level, he'll have Time stop and spam Horrid Wilting and Power Word, Kill, which is probably the most aggravating thing imaginable

Are you talking about the tree battle? Anyone just standing around like that oblivious to his surroundings just deserves to be trapped to the max... :)

I've been known to "conjure animals", "wyvern call" or something and send them ahead .... the liches etc. then burn up their TS, PWK, Death Fog, etc. on them ... then send in the real army ...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Liches are like big dogs in a way...
    SQUIRREL!
    TIME STOP
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    @nano They can afford it - I suppose they are not bothered very often so they can sit on their asses doing nothing short of practicing their entry speech ("This place will be your tomb!"). They are not adventurers so they don't have to carefully gauge their spell selection for multiple encounters during the day.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Probably Time Stop. Not a lot of enemies cast it but if they get it off I pretty much feel helpless for 2 rounds.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Death Spell on a M/T solo run, HD 5, *sniff* insta-kill....
    Also, imprisionment, mostly on part-runs.
    Then, mostly Hold Person, getting held in a solo run >.<
    Dire Charm, getting charmed like an insta kill in a solo run, hateful.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Maze on a solo run x.x
    It's like imprisonment lite, but it ends your journey just as well...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I just had a hell of a time on deirex in ust Natha... I can't remember when he started off with a chain contingency lower resistance and 2x adhw on seeing you followed by time stop improved alacrity, comet dragons breath...

Wiped like 6x before killing him and I only did it by prebuffing with haste and invis and scattering. Also had to use a planetar and like 4 skele warriors to tank.

Also for some reason wand of spell strike did not get rid of his protections and I had to wait them out while having summons take his pounding. Hexxat died and her ghost got dragon breathed on the win lol...

My party had like 0-3 hlas each but he somehow had the whole gamut...
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    WTF @kryptix you just scared me. I'm just about enter Ust Natha for the first time on Enhanced Edition, and I don't remember Deirex being such an ass in vanilla... ;_;

Just a few moments ago Vithal in the Underdark imprisoned 4 party members and Wilted the remaining two.. Was he always like this ?!?!?!

So imprisonment, yeah...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @kryptix Do you have mods? I don't think he does that in an unmodded game. All I had to do was cast one Incendiary cloud at him and he died without any resistance.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    It really sucks getting stuck in a Web...
    Tresset said:

@kryptix Do you have mods? I don't think he does that in an unmodded game. All I had to do was cast one Incendiary cloud at him and he died without any resistance.

Yeah I have SCS.

I tried incendiary cloud and that didn't work at all actually somehow he was immune to dragons breath too...

Also horrid wilting and Sunray...

• AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2014
    *googling SCS* Sounds like I have to check this out.

I also do hate those times when I'm just about to cast some powerful spell to save one of my party's members from the inevitable death, and nothing happens. WTF?!?! Oh right.. SILENCED
  • karnagekarnage Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2014
    A trick in the Vanilla (non-EE) version for Dierex is, as soon as you're in his tower for the first time (before you're pulled into dude's pocket plane), attack and cast spells. You have only seconds to get these commands off, but if you time it right, you can injure (or even kill him) before you are pulled into the pocket plane. It might work in modded and EE too; not sure.
    karnage said:

A trick in the Vanilla (non-EE) version for Dierex is, as soon as you're in his tower for the first time (before you're pulled into dude's pocket plane), attack and cast spells. You have only seconds to get these commands off, but if you time it right, you can injure (or even kill him) before you are pulled into the pocket plane. It might work in modded and EE too; not sure.

Didn't think to try throwing azure edge at him like that...

That said, what do you guys do against a hla wielding Mage? It's pretty hard to avoid getting hit by anything and a lot of those spells one shot your weaker party members, also it's pretty impossible to ensure that everyone is buffed full of immunities if you run a full party...
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    It's a somewhat odd answer, but using an Wild Magic in my party is my most dreaded spell.

Seriously, funny as it can be, random effects are a nightmare I don't want to put up with. I can almost always win without the bonus, but can certainly lose if something terrible happens.

So I just skip it. It ain't worth it.

On a more on-topic note, that Fireball spamming Deathknight in the BG expansion can be a nightmare.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Imprisonment.
    velehal said:

Imprisonment.

Half. The time this makes me reflexively hit l so at least it doesn't waste much time...