Skip to content

Can YOU Brave the Sword Coast? - Real-Life Ability Scores! CHALLENGE MODE!

Comments

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2014
    @nano that table is definitely wrong. I can do 100 push ups in 2 minutes and am far from 18 strength. Likewise, I know some very fit women that can barely do any push-ups.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223

@nano that table is definitely wrong. I can do 100 push ups in 2 minutes and am far from 18 strength. Likewise, I know some very fit women that can barely do any push-ups.

Yes. Actually, it is far more easier to do more pickups in a short time than less but slower, more controlled ones.
  • BusticationBustication Member Posts: 49
    Str 14
    Dex 14
    Con 13
    Int 16
    Wis 17
    Cha 15

Fighter/Cleric, I think.

I'm puzzled by the charisma section in particular-- a lot of them seem like false dichotomies.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited January 2014
    Str: 9
    Dex: 17
    Con: 12
    Int: 10
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 13

I knew I am very agile. Not really flexible, but agile. All the questions about things like dodgeball remind me how great I was in middle school. I would stand at the line and just dodge all day. I actually had a person in arms reach throw at me and I just matrixed under it :) I am going to have to make another thief with these abilities
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    Str: 12
    Dex: 12
    Con: 13
    Int: 17/16
    Int2: 17
    Wis: 9
    Cha: 16

I guess I could do okay as a sorcerer or bard.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @belgarathmth no offense taken... I wasn't concerned about whether the results were accurate because I wanted to make sure I had the math right before looking for real data. I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to take the numbers seriously.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I doubt a person weighing 100 pounds who can do 30 push-ups would be stronger than one weighing 250 who can only do four. These things are hard to measure, even the intellectual measures (wisdom is often interpreted differently by different people)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Nano

Gond or Oghma? ;)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    nano said:

@belgarathmth If you can provide statistical data for "weight carried for 100 yards", then sure. I'm not claiming that pushup prowess is equivalent to strength. I chose pushups to demonstrate the statistical approach because it's a feat that's somewhat correlated with strength and, first and foremost, I was able to find numbers. Statistics have no value if you have no data.

Int scores matched with IQ - perhaps a better demonstration because modern tests use deviation IQ where mean and std are defined.
    [spoiler]

INT IQ
    3 57.5240
    4 65.9353
    5 72.3020
    6 77.8009
    7 82.9124
    8 87.9374
    9 92.8639
    10 97.6403
    11 102.3597
    12 107.1361
    13 112.0626
    14 117.0876
    15 122.1991
    16 127.6980
    17 134.0647
    18 142.4760
    [/spoiler]
    @nano, I like this one quite a lot, it puts me a 16-17 int :).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That would put me at 18. But then I never put much stock into IQ.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2014
    Some thoughts I have in mind:

I doubt intelligence can be really measured by any test, results would only reflect the reasoning capacity of an individual whereas intelligence is too vast and involve logic, abstract thought, planning, problem solving, understanding, self-awareness, communication skills, learning, emotional knowledge, quick reasoning...
    In a D&D setting, aside from being abilities score to determine class, I'd say Intelligence tells you how to do things, Wisdom tells you why you shouldn't.

The strength part of the test I found amusing, still push-ups and sit-ups to determine strength is inaccurate in RL, let alone for a D&D setting: Take the average gym-goer, he'll be fit to do anywhere between 50-100 pushups, the lighter his weight, the faster he can go, the more he can potentially do in a minute since fast repetitions would involve less tension on the muscles. Now how a 150 lbs gym rat is stronger than a 250 lbs bodybuilder? D&D measure strength with how much gear you can carry: push-ups and sit-ups might make you look good in your armor, but will it help swing your two-handed sword for 3 times/round and hit for significant damage while wearing that 50 lbs armor? No? Wear a strength belt, problem solved :)

The three canonical strength exercises are deadlift, squat and bench press, be you male or female, there are tables to measure performances (you can find a simplified chart here http://strengthlevel.com/). I'm pretty sure the D&D test's author included push-ups and sit-ups to even the odds for females, since in D&D males and females are capable of equal strength feats, while the strength tests advantage males.
    Also accurately calculating strength score in a D&D test without rolling (the blasphemy!) would be complicated and would require separate tables and many variables: gender, age, body weight, conditioning, proper form, health and absence of injuries, training level..
    Anyway, if I'd had to roll a D&D toon that mirror myself, I'd definitely go with the Angelfire test, the second one http://easydamus.com/character.html is too generous.
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    The religion questions are deterministic for class.those who follow western religions are more likely to be clerics or paladins (emphasis on A god) while eastern religions and new age are more likely to be druid monk or ranger.
  • That1DudeThat1Dude Member Posts: 19
    Took a glance at this quiz, looks a lot better than others I have tried.

Lets see how well I know myself here's my guess on my stats:
    Str: 14
    Dex: 12
    Con: 11
    Int: 13
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 8

Aaaaand my stats are:

Str: 16
    Dex: 16
    Con: 12
    Int: 16 (16/15)
    Wis: 15
    Cha: 9

They seem a bit high, I do weight lift 45 minutes to an hour and a half every day, personally think bench press is a terrible exercise to determine strength, should have gone with squat or maybe deadlift. Also how big is Minsc to get a 18/93 str? I mean he does say he's huge and counts as two or three at least but wowsers. There's no way I'm that dexterous, just no (apparently I get a 16 for ego in answering those questions). Eh I'm ok with my constitution score, on one hand I played rugby for two years and never had worse than a sprained ankle, on the other I did have appendicitis so in a medieval world I'd probably be dead already. (Can I use Appendectomy Feat to gain +1 con for not having an appendix anymore?). I've always been considered pretty smart so 16 isn't out of the ballpark I guess. I think the wisdom test is more of an intelligence test so if you got a high intelligence rating you probably also got a high wisdom rating. Wisdom seems like it is the most abstract of the abilities and would be the hardest to test though. And yea charisma... guess who isn't the party leader? (or a sorcerer, which is sad because that's my favorite class)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Bench-press, sit-ups, push-ups... those are all nice but far too advanced for calculation of strength related to the DnD environment.

Considering what happens in the BG games, carry weight is actually what represents the strength of the individual. Given the weights of gear and items, the table is quite adequate as an estimation of how strength varies between the individuals. Importantly, if one is to estimate ones own strength in the DnD setting, the carry weight should be interpreted as the total weight one could muster while still being efficient in battle, not the total weight one can actually carry. This is the case if you consider that no player drops any gear before or during battle since that disallows access to alternating weapons, using potions and such.

As a result, the strength table indicates a 10 strength to allow a total weight of 70lbs (~35kgs) in battle. This is exactly what one can expect of an average person wearing general protective gear, a weapon and a mediocre heavy backpack to allow proper movement in battle. Actual seasoned and trained warriors are expected to have a greater strength given that plate mail alone could weigh up to 100 lbs (and an average person could wear it but not actually fight effectively in it). This puts warriors typically at strength values of 14-17 (120-170lbs carry weight). The 18/xx levels are really exceptional feats of strength indeed.

For me, I know I am more effective with quite bit less weight on my shoulders than an average person. I envision myself effective in battle (including dodging and swinging a weapon) with a total weight of at most 30lbs (~15kg) for 6-7 strength even if realistically for just muling I can carry quite a bit more.
  • MrTea1976MrTea1976 Member Posts: 20
    That was quite entertaining :)

Str 11
    Dex 12
    Con 15
    Int 17 (1717)
    Wis 14
    Cha 17

I think I'll try me as a sorcerer.
    The only stats I'd argue much about are con (a little low) and wis (a little high).
  • ScufflesScuffles Member Posts: 15
    Heh. Fun test. I'm apparently:

Str 10
    Dex 16
    Con 13
    Int 12
    Wis 12
    Cha 13

That strength number is probably pretty absurd though. I can do pushups and situps by the bucketload but I'm also a 95 pound girl, so it's unlikely that I'm anywhere near 'average' in absolute strength. I also might have done a little better on Int if I wasn't lazy. :D
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I don't play RPGs to be myself, and with stats like these I'm even less inclined!

STR: 11
    DEX: 7
    CON: 11
    INT: 13
    WIS: 11
    CHA: 8
    I just took it again and my dex score went up 3 points... I think I screwed it up the first time
  • blazeheroicblazeheroic Member Posts: 37
    7 Str
    12 Dex
    13 Con
    13 Int
    11 Wis
    14 Cha

I thought I was stronger in Int and Wis than that. Would have thought 14-15 int and 13-14 wis. Strength though, ouch. 70 point overall character, is that even possible?
  • the8anarchistthe8anarchist Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2014
    STR: 6
    DEX: 10
    CON: 15
    INT(pt1/pt2): 9/10
    INT: 10
    WIS: 11
    CHA: 11

lol thats some poor STR, though i have to admit, for an average guy, my constitution is pretty good

dibs on gauntlets of ogre strength
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158

STR 10
    DEX 16
    CON 12
    INT(PT1/PT2) 17/17
    INT 17
    WIS 14
    CHA 18

I was going through alot of psychometric testing for my employment so int test was kinda easy more or less.

STR: 10
    DEX: 14
    CON: 12
    INT: 17/17
    WIS: 17
    CHA: 12

However, such things are not to be taken seriously--it is an online test with no certifiable credibility whatsoever. That being said, though, those aren't bad stats for a mage/cleric; ironically, that was the class of my first character in BG and, subsequently, BG2. Interestingly, I scored a little higher on charisma than I would have thought. *shrug*

Erm, i think we might need to hit the gym...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @thespace I'll give you a Gloves of Ogre Power and you'd be on the frontline right ahead of my bard. Or maybe a fighter/thief?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm quite surprised at my results. I thought my only "playable" stat would be wisdom, (Because with age and whatnot) but hey, a whole lotta 16s showed up. Obviously, I'm not living up to my name.

STR: 10
    DEX: 16
    CON: 15
    INT(pt1/pt2): 16/15
    INT: 16
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 16

On another note, long-time lurker, first time poster.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    13/12/15/13/14/10
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Shar said:

For my age and general physical condition, I am not dissatisfied. True, I should probably get more exercise than I do now but I need to focus on muscle tone and endurance rather than strength training or bulking.

Shar said:

For my age and general physical condition, I am not dissatisfied. True, I should probably get more exercise than I do now but I need to focus on muscle tone and endurance rather than strength training or bulking.
    See if we gonna be in same party you'll likely be mage/cleric and i'll have to brave the sorcerer myself...we need a mule.