Skip to content

Best random drop?

I got a scroll of haste on a waylaid by enemies map from an ogre mage when i was about level 5. it was very appreciated
lunarCrevsDaakatcDaveSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Cool. I once got a lightning wand from a random enemy loot. Some monsters like ogre mages are given better random drops, like scrolls or really expensive top tier jewelry. You can get Laeral's Tears Necklaces as well, they sell for 3k+ gp.
    mjsCorvinoAristilliusSCARY_WIZARD
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    Scroll of PFMW in Nalia's keep. I also got a scroll of simulacrum(I think that's how it's spelled) in Irenicus' dungeon.
    booinyoureyesZaferick
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Guards in the copper coronet can drop really high level mage scrolls consistently.
    CrevsDaakEudaemoniumjackjackAristillius
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    In BG2 SOA, a random drop of Spell Trigger is nice. In some games, I get 1-2 arrows of detonation. I primarily combine that with greater deathbow to mass kill a group of enemies (particularly slaves in Sendai's lair).
    TressetDiscoCat
    I also think I got a similcrum in the bookcase in the mephit portal room in Irenicus' dungeon once.
    jackjack
  • TedronaiTedronai Member Posts: 20
    One time for the heck of it I fired off a Cloudkill in the Five Flagons, aggro-ing everyone. One of the mages that I killed there dropped a Robe of Vecna! Unfortunately, I had to reload because of the huge reputation drop but it was quite the surprise.
    Blackraven
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited January 2014
    Want to get some unlimited maximum tier random treasure dropping enemies in BG2? Just fight the endlessly spawning skeleton warriors by answering the second question wrong repeatedly at the "death bridge" (that one bridge where you have to answer riddles to cross as a part of the unseeing eye quest)! They drop all kinds of high level scrolls including many level 7 and 8 ones!

I have to agree though that spell trigger is one of the best random drops. Very useful and very hard to get otherwise.
    Tedronai said:

One time for the heck of it I fired off a Cloudkill in the Five Flagons, aggro-ing everyone. One of the mages that I killed there dropped a Robe of Vecna! Unfortunately, I had to reload because of the huge reputation drop but it was quite the surprise.

o.0 I am pretty sure that is impossible... Maybe you killed one of your own guys?
    booinyoureyesFredjoBlackraven
    Tresset said:

Want to get some unlimited maximum tier random treasure dropping enemies in BG2? Just fight the endlessly spawning skeleton warriors by answering the second question wrong repeatedly at the "death bridge" (that one bridge where you have to answer riddles to cross as a part of the unseeing eye quest)! They drop all kinds of high level scrolls including many level 7 and 8 ones!

I have to agree though that spell trigger is one of the best random drops. Very useful and very hard to get otherwise.

Tedronai said:

o.0 I am pretty sure that is impossible... Maybe you killed one of your own guys?
    Probably kicked out edwin while he was wearing it.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Talking seriously, some Lareal's Tear Necklace and a scroll of Haste in early BG1.
    FredjoJuliusBorisov
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    bbear said:

In BG2 SOA, a random drop of Spell Trigger is nice. In some games, I get 1-2 arrows of detonation. I primarily combine that with greater deathbow to mass kill a group of enemies (particularly slaves in Sendai's lair).

Death blow makes arrows of detonation do max dammage? Thats awesome!
    booinyoureyesQuartz
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Wolk Deathblow instantly slays enemies hit by any weapon if they are below a certain level. Arrows of Detonation add an area of effect to your attacks. Put the two together and you get mass slaying of groups of enemies.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakFredjoQuartz
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    @Tresset
    Oups, i mixed deathblow and critical strike. Thanks for clarifying. It does some like a good tactic, if a little cheesy.
    booinyoureyes
    edited January 2014
    Some of the game's most powerful monsters (mindflayers and beholders) fall prey to deathblow/greater deathblow. An improved hasted fighter/archer can make mincemeat out of a group of these enemies.

Evil, watch out against my rain of death!
    CrevsDaak
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2014
    EDIT: Never mind, didn't work

Best random drop I've found must have been spell trigger, improved mantle, maze or simulacrum.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Laeral's Tear Necklace from a Chap. 2 Ogre Mage and both Web and Invisibility from Ankheg Nest.
    jackjack
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269

A note about a chair.

"Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man but cannot walk or hold things."

Imagine my surprise when it sold for 100gp! That's a lot when you leave Candlekeep for the first time.

The whole party got hammered at the Friendly Arm Inn. YAY!

I remember my surprise and delight when this dropped in my forst playthrough of BG:EE. Apparently it was in the original as well, but I never saw it despite many playthroughs.

I was equally shocked when I found out that the Golden Pantaloons are actually a quest item in BG1, but that's another story...
    CrevsDaakSylvus_MoonbowBlackraven
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Once I was waylaid be and ogre Mage on my way to save dynaheir and I got something like 2 emeralds and a diamond, and maybe a good scroll. Which is a lot in chapter 2. Unfortunately my group got slaughtered because it was chapter 2 and an ogre Mage :( I had to reload the auto save.
    jackjack
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Monster summoning wand in BG1 (Hobgoblins outside Friendly Arm Inn)

Level 9 spell scrolls in BG2 (Timestop, Shapeshift, etc)
    booinyoureyesBlackraven
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Simulacrum scroll from ghasts (or ghouls or whatever) from the Egyptian tomb under the graveyard district. It's a fairly uncommon drop from several creatures, but it's my favorite, because Simulacrum is so useful.
    lunar
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Random arcane spell scrolls in 1. In 2, i don't remember.
    I've gotten scrolls of true sight and globe of invulnerability from the goblins at Chateau Irenicus.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    You can pickpocket random scrolls (level 8-9) from the guards in AMN.
    jackjackluskanDemonoid_Limewire
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

One time I killed a ranger sitting around in Beregost and he dropped a small hamster.

Great post, although I think you meant to say "in Nashkel." ;-)
    BlackravenSCARY_WIZARDCrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Corvino said:

A note about a chair.

"Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man but cannot walk or hold things."

Imagine my surprise when it sold for 100gp! That's a lot when you leave Candlekeep for the first time.

The whole party got hammered at the Friendly Arm Inn. YAY!

I remember my surprise and delight when this dropped in my forst playthrough of BG:EE. Apparently it was in the original as well, but I never saw it despite many playthroughs.
    Where and how did you find that note?
    SCARY_WIZARD