Skip to content

Enough of BG2!

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Heindrich1988
    I would also argue that the inclusion of Kits in BGEE can lead to some very OP Charnames right from the beginning.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @fvmedeiros

Want a quick walkthrough for BG2 to make it more enjoyable?
    First roll any character you want. And do the starting dungeon.

1. Once you finish, watch the epic battle between your captor, some thieves and party crashing mages.

2. Go talk to Mira who is a merchant a bit to the east of your starting location to sell any loot you do not want.

2.5 (optional) do the circus tent quest (since you already discovered it in another playthrough)

3. Head north east through the large opening and get to the edge of the map. You'll notice your cursor
    will change. Once you gather your party and head forth there is only one map available The Slums, click it.

4. Once arriving there will be a "cut scene" between you and a guy that goes Gaelan Bayle. You'll be teleported to his house. He wants you to bring him money. After talking to him leave and head to the Copper Cornet which is the large bar in the middle of the slums map.

5. Go inside. Talk to Nalia. She'll tell you of a problem she is having at her estate. Get her to join your party (keeping minsc, jaheira, and yoshimo) as well as Anomen who is sulking in the corner.

6. Talk to Lord Jierdan and his problems (he's the guy that keeps saying I have a quest for you over his head)

7. Leave the bar and then leave the area. You'll notice the rest of the city is now open to be explored. Don't! Head straight to City Gates, and then straight to De'Arnise Hold.

8. You maybe waylaid (attacked in between going to the city gates and then to the Hold. It is up to you to do any of the quests that are given to you at these times)

9. Go do the De'Arnise hold. If you need a walkthrough to bypass the dialog try: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/dearnise.php

10. After helping Nalia, go do the Windspear Hills. walkthrough http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/wspear.php

11. Doing those two dungeons will give you enough loot, xp and money to pay off Gaelan Bayle

12. From there the game can be very linear. Just keep doing the quests given to you until you are on a boat

• victory_rosevictory_rose Member Posts: 72
    @deltago

I'm a bit surprised that you would advise a beginner to do the Windspear Hills quest so early in the game. Admittedly, I've never done it so soon, but I would think that is too difficult until you've gained some more levels. Not saying that it can't be done (obviously, since I've never tried myself), but there are so many other quests that I would deem easier, and closer to "home", for instance the slaver's quest in the Copper Coronet.

Still, I might have to try the above, just to check how it goes. :)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    You don't like RPGs, you like Action-RPGs and MMOs.
    Diablo, the Elder Scrolls, Dragon's Dogma games, Dark Souls are action-rpgs.
    WoW, Eve, DDO and whatever, are MMOs.
    The only exception are the Final Fantasy games though those have two MMOs, 13 kind of sucked and 12 had mmo elements.

Real RPGs? Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 2 (NwN1 was basically a step over Diablo), Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic etc.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

I'm not really a BioWare-hater though. I think I have actually played all of their games. I just wish they would get back on track.

Fat chance of that happening with EA at the helm. They'll milk it until there's no creativity left, then close up shop. That's how they do business.

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    The real rpg would be to be left in a fictional world without any goal to begin with. Pretty much like real life.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @ifupauline I like to think most people actually have goals in life. I do, at least.

@fvmedeiros I hope you get the chance to try these games on a real desktop and really immerse yourself. I'm sure you'll grow to love it.
  • fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
    i forgot to mention something... i let all my party die in the circus because they annoy me and i wanted to be alone. I am pretty sure that when i come to know the game better i will understand the tragedy in this...
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @fvmedeiros

Yeah... and the beginning of BG 2 SoA is pretty shocking if u used the canon party in BG 1.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236

i forgot to mention something... i let all my party die in the circus because they annoy me and i wanted to be alone. I am pretty sure that when i come to know the game better i will understand the tragedy in this...

Canonically, your character just murdered their foster mother and a mentally disabled man who has been nothing but loyal. And possibly a hamster.

So, I guess good job if you're playing it really Evil?
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Archaos said:

Diablo, the Elder Scrolls, DrPablo s Dogma games, Dark Souls are action-rpgs.
    The only exception are the Final Fantasy games though those have two MMOs, 13 kind of sucked and 12 had mmo elements.

Real RPGs? Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 2 (NwN1 was basically a step over Diablo), Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic etc.

You claim the elder scrolls are not real rpgs? I have played every game on your real rpg list and skyrim is real and great rpg. Just because new games are different than old does not make them non rpg.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Well...Skyrim is maybe the less RPG of the saga... I personally think that my rpg enjoyment I had with TES stopped with the 3rd chapter...
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428

And thanks to everyone that instead of criticize me (because i did not like the beloved game) helped me and did some very good analysis.

@fvmedeiros

no problem man i just wish every person in every community could be the same as we are (mostly, ignoring the whole hexxat fiasco) but seeing as your not a fan if you want to try and get into it playing BG2 is better to start with as you have some levels behind you, BG1 is ruthless when you don't know what your doing / first time into this genre. for example my friend paddy never played any baldur's gate his first RPG was mass effect 1, he bought it on the steam sale (i suggested it to him to buy then as A: hes a student so he is poor and B: if he didn't like it it wouldn't have been a big loss) and he played a fighter and some how, i don't know how....he died to the first wolf he came across after candlekeep.

but if you don't like it feel free to stay and join in the other conversations we have on these forums
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2014
    We talk about everything in these forums... I'm surprised nobody started to exchange recipes or something like that yet...
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2014
    Solo is more or less the last thing i would try even at easy difficulty on my first play trough on this game,..
    In BG 1 the first Wolf would moste likely kill you. (maybe i died 3-4 times on this Wolf,... not so proud)
    And the difficulty will stay hard with 3(0)-4(0) certaint death Encounters and more or less hundrets of "you survive when you are good prepared AND LUCKY! -> if you run for your life,.."

---
    @mlnevese
    A recipe for either Monkey Balls, Amnish Dragon Soup, Baldur's Delight ?
    What do you want?

• TheZodiakTheZodiak Member Posts: 33
    Archaos said:

Diablo, the Elder Scrolls, Dragon's Dogma games, Dark Souls are action-rpgs.

I think you mixed a little bit too much.

EvE Online is a open world game (sandbox). There is literally no restriction in chosing your path. The players make the storys, form alliances and fight about space. Questing and grinding for NPC's is a minor part of this game like an option you can chose. You don't need to do it. For some players this is the ultimate rpg and i can totally understand why.

World of Warcraft, SWTOR, Rift, GW1/2, TSW, Tera is no sandbox at all and players are more or less gathered in raids to grind some nice gear. Kill 5 pigs to get some gold.. i think this is the best description for these games.

Diablo, Sacred, Hellsing, Titan Quest are action packed rpg's. It is hack&slay grind.

Vampire the Masquerade 1 and 2 are the same style of game like Dishonored, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Vampire is based on an P&P RPG System but the style of game is exactly the same.

BG/BG2, IWD, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Realms of Arkania are strategic RPGs with a strong focus in writing and story.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    edited January 2014
    TheZodiak said:

Vampire the Masquerade 1 and 2 are the same style of game like Dishonored, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Vampire is based on an P&P RPG System but the style of game is exactly the same.

BG/BG2, IWD, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Realms of Arkania are strategic RPGs with a strong focus in writing and story.

Vampire:Bloodlines is the game he's talking about, I dunno which games you're talking about but Bloodlines has a lot more in common with Torment than it does Skyrim.
    And it doesn't have a sequel either. (mores the pity)
  • stormy35stormy35 Member Posts: 39
    Belanos said:

I don't think you really understand what a RPG is. It's not just about wandering around killing things and picking up loot. That's a hack and slash game, not an RPG. An RPG is all about immersing yourself in the game environment, pretending that you're actually in the world the game takes place in. As far as that goes, Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the best RPGs out there.

I think there's just too much RPG elitism right there, mate. What you described is just one way of enjoying an RPG game. But there are other ways too. For example, when I play BG2EE, I 'relate' to that person rather than pretending to be that person. It allows me to enjoy both good and evil playing styles.

Most hack and slash games are generally considered RPG games. They fall into the action RPG category which is a sub genre of RPG games. I've played games like diablo2 for years and I can tell you that social interactions come in abundance in these games, through gear hunting/trading in channels, boss runs with friends and pvp.

Speaking of role-playing, the BG and BG2EE might fit the purpose of tabletop role players perfectly well but I've seen people do this equally well in MMORPGs such as Ultima online and WOW. Both games are perfectly fine medium for role playing purposes.

Therefore I can not agree with your elitism attitude towards what you consider are 'RPG' games. I like fanboyism but not the blind XBOX vs PS3 types. But I agree that BG2EE is one of the best RPG games ever made due to good writing and nostalgic reasons.

To OP. If you like the D&D game mechanics of BG but prefer a game with less descriptive, I recommend Icewind dale 1 and 2 from GOG. Both are fantastic games.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I'm sorry, but people calling Morrowind not a true-RPG are wrong. In my opinion, sure, but totally wrong. Call Skyrim and Oblivion what you will- I consider them action-RPGs, myself (and enjoy action RPGs... I love the Mass Effect series for instance, despite it's many faults), but Morrowind it's talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, stand in front of a mudcrab and swing your sword for five hours, talk, talk, talk, talk, wander a wide open world with nothing but a vague idea of what you should be doing, talk some more, run from a cliffracer becaue they're too boring to kill, then some talking on top of it.

Morrowind is a good game, and deserves it's place with RPG's like Baldur's Gate and Torment.

And, meh, everyone's taste differs. Personally, I liked Torment's overwhelming amout of text and story, and sometimes wish BG was more talking, less killing trash mobs.

I think the OP is looking for something more like Icewind Dale then Baldur's Gate, honestly, though I agree with the suggestion that he (I think he?) should try Baldur's Gate 1 first.
  • TheZodiakTheZodiak Member Posts: 33
    Taear said:

TheZodiak said:

Vampire:Bloodlines is the game he's talking about, I dunno which games you're talking about but Bloodlines has a lot more in common with Torment than it does Skyrim.
    And it doesn't have a sequel either. (mores the pity)
    Vampire Redemption = Vampire the Masquerade 1
    Vampire Bloodlines = Vampire the Masquerade 2

(both are based on Vampire the Masquerade not WoD)

Vampire Bloodlines has the same art of storytelling and the same art of advancing like the other games i mentioned in the category. The only difference is that Vampire Bloodlines is based on a given setting but in my opinion you don't need this background to make a good rpg.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    TheZodiak said:

Vampire Redemption = Vampire the Masquerade 1
    Vampire Bloodlines = Vampire the Masquerade 2

(both are based on Vampire the Masquerade not WoD)

Vampire Bloodlines has the same art of storytelling and the same art of advancing like the other games i mentioned in the category. The only difference is that Vampire Bloodlines is based on a given setting but in my opinion you don't need this background to make a good rpg.

Vampire the Masquerade is part of the World of Darkness. You mean they're not based on WoD2, which is Vampire the Requiem.

I would say the first half of Bloodlines is fairly much like an average RPG- lots of talking, your skills matter, your choices make differences in the world, your background makes differences in the world, you have the option to go at your own pace and do side quests rather then following a rail...

...But then you hit the last quarter of the game, which is pure hack and slash with really no roleplaying at all save for the very last decision. So I'm not sure where I would put it in the is it an rpg or is it an action-rpg squares.

Redemption, on the other hand, is pure action-rpg... if it's even an action-rpg. It might just qualify as pure hack and slash.
  • stormy35stormy35 Member Posts: 39

Okay, so you tried Baldur's Gate 2, and didn't like it. That's okay; that's great even. It doesn't mean you "don't know what an RPG is" or "your favorite games aren't real RPGs." It just means you didn't like a certain game. And no, I don't think you did anything "wrong" either. Honestly, I think a lot of it stems from not being a native speaker; some of the dialogue can be a bit archaic, even for an english-speaker.

Second that, well said.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Nonnashwriter that thread was about CRPGs, RPGs tend to be P&P.
    And Skyrim offers no more customization than how do you look, which you can even create custom portraits from BG and beat it.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    Twani said:

I would say the first half of Bloodlines is fairly much like an average RPG- lots of talking, your skills matter, your choices make differences in the world, your background makes differences in the world, you have the option to go at your own pace and do side quests rather then following a rail...

...But then you hit the last quarter of the game, which is pure hack and slash with really no roleplaying at all save for the very last decision. So I'm not sure where I would put it in the is it an rpg or is it an action-rpg squares.

Bloodlines is amazing if you can tolerate the combat in the last quarter of the game. It's a worthy purchase just for the Santa Monica part alone (remember the hotel level? I love playing that one late at night). For the last part, well, there's a lot of combat, but it's not *all* hack and slash. There's too much of it for sure, but there's still fun to be had. I also rather like the ending(s).

The game is also full of weird references. Especially Futurama references. Just felt like mentioning this. Must find all the references!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    CrevsDaak said:

@Nonnashwriter that thread was about CRPGs, RPGs tend to be P&P.
    And Skyrim offers no more customization than how do you look, which you can even create custom portraits from BG and beat it.

This is true, but with so many different kinds of RPGs out there, it's hard to toss the generic name around and expect other people to know what you're talking about. In this case, P&P RPGs are much, much different from video-game RPGs.

I disagree with you on Skyrim's customization. Of course, it's not as "deep" as Baldur's Gate is, what with all the modding history and endless D&D lore to back it up, but there is more to pick than just your looks. There's your race, your choice of armor, the many enhancements that you can make to said armor, the particular skills you choose to focus in, the different magic combinations you decide to cast, the several weapons and combat styles you can choose from... Okay, so Baldur's Gate lets you make custom portraits while Skyrim does not, but considering that Skyrim doesn't even include a function like "character portraits" (mostly because it doesn't need one), I think that's a moot point.

I suppose if you did pour enough hours into Skyrim and spent enough skill points, every character would look nearly identical (excluding the different races), but that's a lot of time to dedicate to one game... Why waste all those hours when you could be doing something productive, like doing laundry or playing more Baldur's Gate? :P
  • foolstonefoolstone Member Posts: 37
    If your know the game well, solo can be easy with some class.
    But if not, your PC could be killed in any encounter.