Skip to content

Using EE Keeper to use your favorite BG1EE NPC Party in BG2EE

VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
Just curious if anyone besides me did this?

I used EE Keeper to export two my favorite party members from the final save of BG1EE and imported them into BG2EE.
Xzar and Montaron.
I know the're in BG2EE already as plot related quest, But I wanted them back as my canon party from BG1EE...
So after finishing BG1EE, i imported them into the BG2EE Multiplayer Game. Then i saved that game after speaking with Imoen and copy it to Single Player Game.
Before i start though... I made sure i extracted the BG1EE NPC's voiceset in BG2EE override folder first, before going into the BG2EE.
Even though the BG2 NPC's don't have text dialog with BG1EE NPC's. A banter can trigger between Xzar, Montaron and the BG2EE NPC's. But its random...
The NPC's don't say any text to Xzar or Montaron. So Xzar or Montaron can come off a bit crazy...

For Xzar and Montaron to come off as canon from the start. I would avoid Renfeld's request to return to the Harper Hold.
Yes... this destroys the Harper Quest. But it makes since...
Post edited by Vasculio on
FredjoSharGuidesMyHandJLeebooinyoureyeswintersSCARY_WIZARDdementedJuliusBorisov

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I don't think I quite understand what you're asking or saying. Do you mean your make a mulitplayer game with the party you ran with in BGEE (i.e. making copies of Xzar and Montaron) and play that way?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Vasculio said:

Just curious if anyone besides me does this? I exported my party from the final save of BG1EE and imported them into BG2EE. Just Xzar and Montaron. I know there in BG2EE , But in this play through, I considered them imposters :P

I didn't even know this could be done. How do you do it?
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    edited January 2014
    That is correct, but also copied it into the single player save folder to continue the game.

I don't think I quite understand what you're asking or saying. Do you mean your make a mulitplayer game with the party you ran with in BGEE (i.e. making copies of Xzar and Montaron) and play that way?

EE Keeper which is linked in the main screen when you load BG2EE

Vasculio said:

Just curious if anyone besides me does this? I exported my party from the final save of BG1EE and imported them into BG2EE. Just Xzar and Montaron. I know there in BG2EE , But in this play through, I considered them imposters :P

I didn't even know this could be done. How do you do it?
    Vasculio said:

I used EE Keeper to export two my favorite party members from the final save of BG1EE and imported them into BG2EE. Xzar and Montaron. I know the're in BG2EE already as plot related quest, But I wanted them back beyond that quest, So I waited until I finished the Harper Quest/Jaheira Romance before i imported them into my party through Multiplayer. Then save game and copy back to single player. I also extract the're voiceset from the first game and into the BG2EE override folder. Even though the BG2 NPC's don't have pyshical dialog with Xzar and Montaron. They do somehow many to piss them off... some manage to get Xzar to call them a Harlot lol

So in other words, you've basically single-handedly solved the entire "canon party" dilemma?
    QuartzVasculioProont
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    In one game, I use exported Eldoth as charname and in another, as NPC.
    jackjackVasculioEudaemoniumCrevsDaak

Vasculio said:

I used EE Keeper to export two my favorite party members from the final save of BG1EE and imported them into BG2EE. Xzar and Montaron. I know the're in BG2EE already as plot related quest, But I wanted them back beyond that quest, So I waited until I finished the Harper Quest/Jaheira Romance before i imported them into my party through Multiplayer. Then save game and copy back to single player. I also extract the're voiceset from the first game and into the BG2EE override folder. Even though the BG2 NPC's don't have pyshical dialog with Xzar and Montaron. They do somehow many to piss them off... some manage to get Xzar to call them a Harlot lol

So in other words, you've basically single-handedly solved the entire "canon party" dilemma?
    Yes and no... this play through, i waited until Xzar was assassinated and Montaron's body was found before importing them. With there stuff from BG1EE

In the next play through im going to avoid any romance with Jaheira. Have Xzar and Montaron from the start without gear of course.

I did the same for Ajantis... I waited until after I slayed the knights in Windspear Hill. before importing him in.
    The only way around that canon is to not bring Keldorn with the group.
    edited January 2014

Are you using the Baldurdash multiplayer dialog fixed?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28852/unreleased-baldurdash-mod#latest

No, I use Eldoth as charname in single player. I had the idea to play as him in BG2, with a delusion that Imoen is actually Skie and was kidnapped by a rich husband her mother forced her to marry - mainly because I hate Imoen and wanted a better roleplay reason to go after her. I tried to create an Eldoth by just using the portrait, voice and profs, but I couldn't assign the "create poison arrows" ability in EEKeeper. Eudaemonium then exported Eldoth for me and the ability worked. I took him through BG1 to get tomes and see if the game treats me as NPC-Eldoth. It does; I could get Skie, and Eldoth' lines triggered in the conversations with Dorn.
    In BG2, the "create poison arrows" doesn't work anymore, presumably because the ability doesn't exist at all. (Not that it would be very good, it's a tedious ability to begin with, so I don't mind. Changed him to Jester, but still use Long Bow/Spear/Scimitar).
    jackjackCrevsDaakelementProont
    Vasculio said:

That is correct, but also copied it into the single player save folder to continue the game.

Did you start the game in MP before switching to single, or did you start in single, switch to MP, and then back to single?
    I'm honestly surprised that this thread isn't getting a lot more attention, especially given that one of the biggest gripes that people (including myself) have had about BG2 is how it treated the BG1 NPCs.

Dynaheir has always been one of my favorite BG1 NPCs, but I never cared much for Minsc (at least not in BG1 - he's a lot better in BG2 admittedly). During my current playthrough, Minsc was killed in the Nashkel mines and I rescued Dynaheir without ever bothering to resurrect Minsc. I'd love for a way to start off BG2 with Dynaheir exported from BG1, and also somehow remove Minsc's character file from the game so that he isn't present in his cell - or would that just cause the game to crash?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @KidCarnival I could make that ability work for you if you wish so, it might miss the description/name, but it should work.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Vasculio said:

Did you start the game in MP before switching to single, or did you start in single, switch to MP, and then back to single?
    Start in MP, move to Single, I've done it twice.
    Vasculio
    edited January 2014
    You could just ignore the cell, so his dialogue would never trigger and he wouldn't mention Dynaheir's death. Or, though it's a lot hoops to jump through... Use the NPC Renamer and EEKeeper to turn Mincs into someone else - for example Kivan or whoever was in your BG1 party. You'd have to change the portrait, name, voiceset, stats and profs... everything but the sheer existance of an NPC in that cell. It would later clash with Aerie and Edwin and their banters, but if you don't plan to take them along (or even recruit the "Not-Minsc")...
    Post edited by KidCarnival on
    CrevsDaakEudaemonium
    edited January 2014

You could just ignore the cell, so his dialogue would never trigger and he wouldn't mention Dynaheir's death. Or, though it's a lot hoops to jump through... Use the NPC Renamer and EEKeeper to turn Mincs into someone else - for example Kivan or whoever was in your BG1 party. You'd have to change the portrait, name, voiceset, stats and profs... everything but the sheer existance of an NPC in that cell. It would later clash with Aerie and Edwin and their banters, but if you don't plan to take them along (or even recruit the "Not-Minsc")...

Obviously the first idea is the easiest, but I'd prefer to have a little more realism if possible, and not have to even see Minsc in his cell at all (it's bad enough I'd have to skip over Imoen saying "Minsc and Jaheira are in cells over there...").

The second idea would definitely be a problem for me - not only because of the complexity, but I almost always have Aerie in my BG2 party.

Anyway, I should probably start a separate thread on this topic before I derail someone else's.
    @SharGuidesMyHand - Why derailing? It's about trying to get Dynaheir in BG2 instead of Minsc. Seems on topic to me.

I thought replacing/transforming Minsc into someone you're less attached to would work, so you'd have an easier time not opening the cell (or simply dismissing the new NPC early). With Aerie, you'd have mismatched dialogue all the time, with comments about Dynaheir being dead. So yeah, not optimal.

On a similar note, I really wish I could replace Minsc with Shar-Teel. She's a frequent endgame party member in BG1, while I never have Minsc or Jaheira (or Imoen, for that matter). Shar-Teel would even fit in the role and break her own cage, but it's even harder to ignore a sudden male voice on her. :|
    SharGuidesMyHand

I thought replacing/transforming Minsc into someone you're less attached to would work, so you'd have an easier time not opening the cell (or simply dismissing the new NPC early).

Now that you mention it, I could possibly place another character/creature file with Minsc's file name in the override folder, so that someone/something else would be in the cage instead.
    Vasculio
    @SharGuidesMyHand You could change the file to something that is technically still Minsc (so there's no crash risk), but would be something you'd instantly kill from the distance. From the roleplay perspective, you'd hear Jaheira yell for help or a warning that there is a monster in the cage, so you'd go search weapons with Imoen, kill the monster, then open Jaheira's cage and never be close enough for Not-Minsc to talk.

Vasculio said:

Had to start it in multiplayer of first. to make the save before copying it over to single player

edited January 2014
    Vasculio said:

I also extract the're voiceset from the first game and into the BG2EE override folder.

What method or program did you use to extract the voices? - was it also EE keeper?

Were you able to extract the subtitles for the voices as well?

UPDATE: I just experimented with Dynaheir and found that the subtitles apparently extract along with the character herself. I'm not sure how to extract the voice files, so she just remains silent while the subtitles read, "Watch thee where thy place that pointer!," LOL.
    Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on
    jackjack
    All NPC voicesets are in the dropbox we aren't allowed to link to here. (In sidebox: http://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/) Once you downloaded them, take all files (DYNAHEIRa.wav and so on) and put them in your lang/US_eng folder in the install directory (under "Sounds", obviously). That adds a sound set named Dynaheir to the selection, no re-naming or anything neccessary.
    SharGuidesMyHandProont
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330

@KidCarnival, if I remember correctly, you didn't just use Eldoth as charname. You became Eldoth.
    jackjackKidCarnival
    CoryNewb said:

@KidCarnival, if I remember correctly, you didn't just use Eldoth as charname. You became Eldoth.
    Yes, I became. This sounds so... right. :)
    jackjack

All NPC voicesets are in the dropbox we aren't allowed to link to here. (In sidebox: http://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/) Once you downloaded them, take all files (DYNAHEIRa.wav and so on) and put them in your lang/US_eng folder in the install directory (under "Sounds", obviously). That adds a sound set named Dynaheir to the selection, no re-naming or anything neccessary.

Thanks!

I was able to get the sounds working alright, but the subtitles no longer appear once I assign the voice set to the character. Do you or @Vasculio know of a way to keep the subtitles? (not that it's that big of a deal)
    Vasculio said:

Even though the BG2 NPC's don't have pyshical dialog with Xzar and Montaron. They do somehow many to piss them off... some manage to get Xzar to call them a Harlot lol

One potential issue I've come across is that it seems the imported NPCs will just walk off and disappear permanently if you remove them from your party. Not that I necessarily intend to remove them, but I'm worried about what could happen if they get petrified and then I have to talk to them again to re-recruit them. Did you run into any issues like this?
    Hm, so far, Eldoth didn't get imprisoned or petrified, but he can be resurrected normally. I'll try to dismiss him and see if he walks off or stays where I left him. The one thing I know doesn't work is his ability to create arrows, but you shouldn't have that problem with Dynaheir because Cure Poison exists in BG2.

On a similar note, I really wish I could replace Minsc with Shar-Teel. She's a frequent endgame party member in BG1, while I never have Minsc or Jaheira (or Imoen, for that matter). Shar-Teel would even fit in the role and break her own cage, but it's even harder to ignore a sudden male voice on her. :|

Shar-Teel has always been one of my favorite NPCs in BG1, both in terms of efficiency and persona (plus you get a certain bonus if you still have her late in the game), but I rarely get a chance to use her for long because I typically play good-aligned parties. I was hoping to try out her new dual-wielding capabilities for my current playthrough, but as a neutral good ranger with already heroic rep by the time I found her, it just wasn't happening.

I once proposed an "alternate evil" beginning for BG2 which included Shar-Teel: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4550/imagine-an-alternate-evil-beginning-for-bg2/p1

I always felt the makers of BG2 really dropped the ball by not bringing back Shar-Teel. For starters, there was a lot of potential to explore her backstory (as you yourself described in another thread, IIRC). She also would've been very useful as a dual-classed thief, given that one of the game's biggest deficiencies is its lack of thieves (even still IMO, despite the addition of Hexxat). She also would've provided another evil NPC, which the game also suffers from a lack of.
    KidCarnival
    @SharGuidesMyHand - There was a lot missed potential with the way NPCs carried over.

Xzar, as I posted on various occassions, would also make a really good addition. There are Imoen, Nalia and Aerie as good aligned arcane casters, and only Edwin for evil. Xzar had so much potential here - with the stat boost all returning NPCs got, he would be able to dual to cleric (or already come dualed like Imoen) and be the evil counterpart to Aerie (though mechanically slightly inferior with no mage advancement). There is already the small quest that could as well be a recruitment quest, and a 50/50 chance that you really rescue Montaron and get both (or the assassin and it plays out like it does now) could add a nice twist. Lots of story potential, too, to further explore the Harpers vs Zhentarim conflict. He and Monty (who would also address the lack of thieves) could be open about it this time and add a lot more backstory.

It would be great if the starting NPCs would depend at least a bit on charname's alignment - sort of an educated guess who was in the BG1 party (it's a guess now, too). Neutral charnames would find Imoen, Jaheira and possibly Branwen (who fits the "breaking cage with strength" best from the neutrals), evil charnames would find Shar-Teel (in Minsc's role), Imoen (for story reasons, obviously) and Eldoth (with Skie as "dead spouse", just a less... heartbroken dialogue when finding the body - sticking with the Jaheira/Khalid dynamic, and maybe the loss can somehow be used to explain why Shar-Teel didn't kill him - It's hard to find an evil NPC who has a different class than her and isn't in the game already otherwise; Tiax would be a nice fit if he wasn't in Spellhold. Could even have him brought there by Irenicus if you completely rewrote the beginning...)
    EudaemoniumProont

Vasculio said:

I also extract the're voiceset from the first game and into the BG2EE override folder.

What method or program did you use to extract the voices? - was it also EE keeper?

Were you able to extract the subtitles for the voices as well?

UPDATE: I just experimented with Dynaheir and found that the subtitles apparently extract along with the character herself. I'm not sure how to extract the voice files, so she just remains silent while the subtitles read, "Watch thee where thy place that pointer!," LOL.
    Winbiff

I'll attach so you can download it yourself. Just go into the Baldurs Gate folder of either BG1EE or BG2EE and just open all the folder until you spot the chitin.key file. Open it and you will see all the content catagories

SharGuidesMyHand

Vasculio said:

Even though the BG2 NPC's don't have pyshical dialog with Xzar and Montaron. They do somehow many to piss them off... some manage to get Xzar to call them a Harlot lol

One potential issue I've come across is that it seems the imported NPCs will just walk off and disappear permanently if you remove them from your party. Not that I necessarily intend to remove them, but I'm worried about what could happen if they get petrified and then I have to talk to them again to re-recruit them. Did you run into any issues like this?
    Download this into your override folder. Will fix that problem.

SharGuidesMyHandjackjackProont