Skip to content

A guide to new magic items in BG2EE *SPOILERS*

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Fardragon said:

Has it been mentioned that The Visage can be worn by classes who are not normally permitted helmets? My monk is now immune to criticals, along with the other benefits.

This was already possible with King Strohm's Mask, in case you weren't aware - from the tombs in the Windspear Hills, and functioned, when completed, essentially like a normal helmet for anyone (unless that has been changed in EE).
    Yes, but Strom's mask doesn't actually do anything.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    ajwz said:

Are modifications to existing items relevant to this thread? I've just noticed that the Defender of Easthaven is now a +3 weapon where it was previously +2. That is very significant as it is a commonly used weapon, and now hits a lot of things it didn't before.

Yes, all modifications are welcome. Thanks for pointing this out :)
    Its just a change in the description. Functionally the weapon worked as a +3 weapon already.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    @ajwz
    - I couldn't find Enforcer's Bracers during Neera's ToB quest. As far as I can see with Near Infinity, these bracers only exists in BP2, not BG2EE:ToB.

- Also, the Rod of Resurrection is not in a container. It can be stolen from the temple service woman, Molzahn of Tymora.

- A Ring of Fire Control can however be stolen from the Weapons Merchant in the same area. This is arguably a notable extra.

- Shield of Fyrus Khal +2 is supposed to be given as a reward for finding the kid in the Wild Mage camp (Neera's SoA quest), but I didn't get this reward during my playthrough. I'm not sure why. It might be a bug or me chosing the wrong dialogue option.
    ajwz
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Ajwz The shield of Fyrus Khal is the reward from the kid's parent if you agree with her that wild magic is too dangerous for the kid to use. You can either get this or the sling but probably not both. I am not sure why this would be not working since it worked for me while the game was still in beta and it looks like the dialog still works.
    ajwz
  • BayazBayaz Member Posts: 22
    Regarding the Wooden Horse Necklace... it's only giving me -1 AC instead of the -2 in the description.

edited January 2014
    Bayaz said:

Regarding the Wooden Horse Necklace... it's only giving me -1 AC instead of the -2 in the description.

Should be giving you -2 to your armor class. Are you using the latest patch of the game?

-2 is how it shows up in Near Infinity. Anyways, if its a bug you should post it as a seperate thread in the BG2EE bugs section. When you do that you can also mention if you are using any mods.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    @bayaz
    There is a mod that lets you wear multiple protection items, you get the saves from all of them but only the AC from the best one. Are you sure you don't have that and already have a +1?
    It was fixed in an earlier patch, but if you aquired it before patching, the item remains in it's faulty state (only +1)
    Foggy
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited January 2014
    i have qustion about this shield i just get it->
    Shield of fyrus khal+2(Nerra-> Kirik quest reword)

"Equipped abilities:
    – Armor Class: +3
    – Fire Resistance: +10%
    – Cold Resistance: +10%
    – Acid Resistance: +10%
    – Electrical Resistance: +10%
    – Aura of Magical Protection: All allies within 10 ft. receive +5% Magical Resistance

Charge abilities:
    – Spell Turning once per day
    Special: Reflects 12 levels' worth of spells targeted at the user
    Duration: 45 rounds"

i put it on me and there is no "Aura of Magical Protection" on me or my NPC is only on my moded game or you alsowe have this problem. or maybe it will be active in fight?
    Post edited by Dzuk5 on
  • Shift07Shift07 Member Posts: 11
    Could someone tell me the code for the shield of fyrus khal? I never saw that quest and it looks interesting.
    @Shift07

Ohnshld1
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    Shift07 said:

Could someone tell me the code for the shield of fyrus khal? I never saw that quest and it looks interesting.

have you test this shield? in your game gves you 5% magic res. aura in my not;/

@ajwz I just noticed that Kazrah's shield gives 50 % electrical resistance, despite not being noted in the description. Might be a bug, although the shield is blue and gives chain lightning per day, so might be intended (but forgot about in the description).
    elminsterEudaemoniumAbel
  • Shift07Shift07 Member Posts: 11
    @Dzuk5 - I tested it out a little. It seems inconsistent. Sometimes the 5% showed up on my other characters and sometimes not. Sleeping sometimes made the effect appear, but not always.

Dzuk5
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    I've discovered it's possible to get two Cloaks of Unerring Strikes - pickpocketing Treya on her first appearance in Trademeet will get one (I needed to pickpocket 3 times to get it; somehow this was possible), and she'll have a second on her corpse if the second meeting goes badly even if you got the first. Possibly unintended.
    Abel
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Let's talk a bit about this *headband of the devout*.
    Now we can have righteous magic on thieves; this is what it does for one turn:
    - max damage rolls (maxed backstabs...not fair to the rest of the world)
    - +3 str (great because it gives you 25str)
    - +10 hp (useful for pure thieves)

Also it has permanent effects:
    - bless (+1 to hit, not useless)
    - immunity to confusion (convenient)

With tenser's on and with the staff of the ram, dualled sarevok can now deal 144+1d4 damage on every hit (assasination). He can attan *six* such attacks in a round, so that would be a solid 864+6d4dmg if he scores them all (his thac0 is generally absurd of course).
    *the only issue is the staff of the ram's knockback, but doesn't work on some, fortunately.
    *charname could have 7 attacks equalling 1020dmg counting all hit (which they won't of course, but even two thirds of that are pretty scary)
    *greater whirlwind and mislead could be used while backstabbing hypothetically; i haven't tried that...that could amount to close to 1500dmg (2/3 of this is like 1000dmg which is also no joke:)
    AbelSethDavis
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Would I be bad to say that most of these new items are crap?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There are a couple of real gems in there.

The Wooden Horse necklace is just an amulet of protection +2 which doesn't otherwise exist ingame.

The Ring of Duplication gives you 3 free casts of Mirror Image per day and is usable by anyone. It's great for any big dumb fighter who keeps getting hit in melee, or synergises well with fighter/thieves with the additional stealth bonuses.

Also, as a correction to the main list: Hawksight is a +2 Scimitar rather than +1.
    ajwz
    Abel said:

Theres a few I've used throughout the game so I guess I wouldn't agree with that, especially from Rasaad's temple trials and from Neera's quests...

used the ring of duplication on dualled sarevok extensively, i think it's a really nice item. well designed, fun, useful and not terribly op.

insta cast true sight via gem of seeing is tremendously helpful (read: op) but i was happy to have it.
    that's what planetars are normally for and you get it so soon.
    bob_veng said:

used the ring of duplication on dualled sarevok extensively, i think it's a really nice item. well designed, fun, useful and not terribly op.

insta cast true sight via gem of seeing is tremendously helpful (read: op) but i was happy to have it.

Keldorn gets more of them and you get him far earlier, so the gem is mostly redundant for good parties. Very handy for any party that lacks him though.

bob_veng said:

Keldorn gets more of them and you get him far earlier, so the gem is mostly redundant for good parties. Very handy for any party that lacks him though.
    Yeah I definitely used that gem a ton running SCS with a neutral party...
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Abel said:

The Visage is great.
    elminsterEudaemonium
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Headband of the Devout is pretty good too, especially on a F/T with UAI...
    both visage and the mentioned headband are too powerful and i'm not a fan of their addition altho i wouldn't call them crap (in terms of design); some careful thought went into their making and it shows, but they should have been polished and balanced a bit more
    bob_veng said:

both visage and the mentioned headband are too powerful and i'm not a fan of their addition altho i wouldn't call them crap (in terms of design); some careful thought went into their making and it shows, but they should have been polished and balanced a bit more

Really? The Headband you don't get until the end of Rasaad's TOB quests; at that point in the game, items can and should be powerful to make them worth using. If you got it early in SOA, I'd agree, but as is, you're being a bit ridiculous.
    Eudaemoniumelminster
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Its also Monk only by default. Thus its kind of like the Scarlet Ninja-to: good for monks and people with UAI. Mainly Fighter/Thieves, I think.
    The headband is pretty ridiculous though... My hexxat has 7x spike traps, that means her opening round with a staff of the ram +6 backstab is like 1000 damage... More with haste and assassination...
    Cleric/thief was able to do that anyway.
    But now fighter/thieves also have access to righteous magic, the best buff in the game making them absolute monsters (which they already were, but now it's double that). That's a pretty significant change, not just a cool new item like @PawnSlayer is saying, silly him.
    bob_veng said:

Cleric/thief was able to do that anyway.
    But now fighter/thieves also have access to righteous magic, the best buff in the game making them absolute monsters (which they already were, but now it's double that). That's a pretty significant change, not just a cool new item like @PawnSlayer is saying, silly him.

That speaks far more about the broken-ness of UAI, not an issue with that item. From the perspective of it being otherwise only usable by monks, it's a perfectly suitable/balanced endgame item.