Skip to content

What was your worst defeat? (Survey #3)

Comments

• WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    About the druid grove, just stand with another character next to the arena and give items to the one fighting, the fight gets really easy, it's cheating, but the druids won't complain.
    My worst defeat would also be the mind flayer's lair in the sewers, this is where I learned that you shouldn't MIN/MAX your characters too much and use INT as a dump stat. I also had problems through the plannar sphere, Jan was using the staff that makes people flee in terror, and almost everytime he attacked, he died. he was at cha 1...
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited January 2014
    And that is why I don't use Penalty weapons.

My worst general defeat would probably be any time I play a bard and then forget that I have a bard song when I get to the FAI.

My worst specific defeat? The first time I tried to finish the first dungeon level of Durlag's Tower. I was all raring to go (and had forgotten that this was a Brutal Bonus Level)... and immediately half my team died from the instant Cloudkill. I must have tried that fight five times with that group and failed each time. Never cleared past there until I rolled up Adeste (Adeste was Fighter 3 / Cleric 7 when the fight was over).
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Usually fighting a dragon or lich. But this one I will remember for the rest of my life. Fighting the elder umber hulks in ToB. Failed saves vs confusion on my paladin and sarevok. Deathbrnger assault clears aerie, and ravager decapitated somebody else, both not possible no be resurrected. Man this was so ridiculous, i was laughing.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I'm amending my worst specific defeat... I just lost a level 4 knife-centric elf fighter to the first Neera encounter... because she's programmed to use Color Spray as opposed to something that's not going to knock out friendlies.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Any fight without haste, thief traps, and fireball.
  • aldolaldol Member Posts: 17

look at this discussion.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29494/serious-warning-you-miss-quite-critical-information/p1

I want clear in-game information about 'penalty of ranged weapon in melee' because the worst moment is that the hidden game rule hurt the play.

the description about 'penalty of ranged weapon in melee' was on the original game loading screen tip.
    but you deleted the loading screen and the information disappeared.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    aldol said:

look at this discussion.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29494/serious-warning-you-miss-quite-critical-information/p1

I want clear in-game information about 'penalty of ranged weapon in melee' because the worst moment is that the hidden game rule hurt the play.

the description about 'penalty of ranged weapon in melee' was on the original game loading screen tip.
    but you deleted the loading screen and the information disappeared.

C'mon! You are clearly off-topic in this thread!
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    My scs run with all of the improved boss encounters, I defeated everything SoA has to offer then repeatedly wiped vs Irenicus in hell. My custom party had a few deficiencies needless to say. Irenicus wins! Irenicus wins!
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Irenicus Dungeon

I bought the collectors edition of Bg2 after the great review in the Gamestar (100 DM, inclusive a tshirt, gaming cards, PnP adventure etc.)
    I dont even know what PC I created, but I didnt get the whole mechanic (AC goes down, ThAC0 etc.)
    I think I made it thru the dungeon, but I let the game rest for a year or so :D

But its the complex game mechanic, besides other things, that still makes me want to replay this game.

Tough encounters are mostly mod introduced. So..
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    GKL206 said:

Not exactly a defeat but I remember abandoning my first attempt at BG2 when I couldn't work out how to exit Waukeen's Promenade.

I had the same problem on my first playthrough, I kept looking for the slums in Waukeen's Promenade, I asumed it was the whole city, since it had a temple, and I asumed that the temple district was the region around that temple.
  • uglyducklynnuglyducklynn Member Posts: 61
    My worst defeat to date was in SoA. It's my first time playing the game, and I apparently chose two difficult quests right off the bat. The CE fighter (Korgan, I think) was the first quest I did, and only half of my party had magical weapons. But it wasn't the shades or the mummys or anything like that, it was those damn spiders. I had to retry that fight four or five times due to me dying from poison. I just kept thinking about getting overrun by those tiny spiders...Finally beat it though. Next stop, Dragomir's Tomb! I made it through there with hardly any trouble at all.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    Firkraag!
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    My level 18 solo sorceress vs. the lone ghast in the lower level of the vampire lair - wanted to buff up before the door and conserve spells, bastard paralyzed me through stoneskin and then chewed me up...
  • FuRYFuRY Member Posts: 21
    I thought I was all powerful with my old mage in BG2 ToB. Nothing could hinder Zenither with his mind bending Timestop. Except Demogorgon was immune to it... Yup. That ended badly for the party.
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    FuRY said:

I thought I was all powerful with my old mage in BG2 ToB. Nothing could hinder Zenither with his mind bending Timestop. Except Demogorgon was immune to it... Yup. That ended badly for the party.

Playing BP 2 (incoming spoilers), the Bhaalspawns who suddenly changed into Slayer and Ravager. The Ravager was immune to nearly anything i threw at him (including Comet wtf), so I've cast timestop to test some spells in peace. Of course he was immune to that too and chewed my Inquisitor. With him my True seeing was gone too, so the Slayer backstabbed my cleric and than my wounded Monk. Before i realized whats going on it was my lonely sorcerer versus Barely injured Ravager and Badly injured but yet again invisible Slayer...

Incredibly I've still managed to pull it trough. Stoneskins held long enough to finish summoning planetar. He still wasnt capable to harm the Ravareg, but he posses 3x instant speed revive and Heal. Revived back cleric monk and recently deceased sorcerer and managed to tank long enough to finish that bastards off..
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    the king of demons, he sat on me and swatted my party...damn you minsc
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Gee... Kangaxx of course! Meeting him for the first time, you have no idea what to expect, what he even is, or what is required to fell him! Also, protection from death magic does not last long (or he dispelled it from me somehow?), and his demi-lich death magic is very difficult to resist (if it even can be resisted, that is).

I got endless wipes, until i exploited an xp loophole, levelled up my cleric and killed him with (6 or 7 level was it now, spells) that deal with undead and unholy purging (sunray and one other).

And demogorgon. The first time i fought it, i did not have enough time to summon the 5 planetars.
  • Hmm, this would probably have to be the Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower

For one, I was playing that game MUCH different than how I usually. So this meant that none of my party members could really take hits (except for Dorn he has a d10). But this got worse. Very first thing he does, remove magic. Second, either Power word: Kill or stun. If he chose kill they would obviously die. If they got stunned however the demon knight would just unleash hell upon everything. (Mind you: this was a multiplayer party, so we got along with a plan barely). So eventually we decided the only way to keep the damn demon distracted was to use the mirror. So in the end, playing as a stealthy backstabber, I managed to backstab the demon (don't ask me how that worked) and remove the curtain. The most funny part about it was the MAGE actually killed the demon. He was cornered and the only weapon he could use without his spell being interrupted was his +3 quarterstaff.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    Worst defeats In Baldur´s Gate 1 :

1. the assasin at the entrance of Friendly Arm Inn - nothing so suprising as a duel with a mage casting Mirror Image, Horror, and killing the charname with a Magic Missile.

2. Bassilus in some wilderness area near Beregost - Hold Person, succesful > killing the charname with a few hits.

3. Silke, the thespian extraprdinaire, killing half of the party or the charname with a Lightning Bolt,
    and the dwarven assasin inside the nearby inn - hitting hard, and taking hits like no other.

4. the cleric assasin in the Nashkell inn - Hold Person, once again, stunning the charname for good.

5. Nimbul, in Nashkell, after cleaning the mines of kobolds and Mulahey - Magic Missile, again, killing the charname...

6. the four-member group, sent by Iron Throne, near the exit from Nashkell Mines - it is either Hold Person or Horror, and the "you must start the game or load a saved game" -screen appears...

I think that summarizes the dangerous encounters, though many are made easier by little levelling. The first time I encountered the demon knight under Durlag´s Tower, and later Aec´LEtec in the cellar of some shop in Ulgoth´s Beard, now those are the most frustrating moments in BG 1, without a Scroll of Magic Protection basicly impossible. Funny, that so far, while playing BG 2, my worst defeats came, when trying to battle the three stunning demons in Planar Sphere... and it is very annoying, each and every time, when I come across vampires - the level drain, restoration spell and fatigued-process without a protection from negative energy spell or item is very, very near the ultimate essence of total defeat...
    though, thinking of defeat makes me remember Dak´Kon saying this: "I may be bested in battle, but my soul shall never be defeated".
  • FuRYFuRY Member Posts: 21
    So far I have been humiliated by the Ogre Mage (Siren's master?) when my bodyguard got hit by a random Lightning strike. Left my wizard running about the map into more damnable spawns.

The Web, and hold spells, even Horror have frequently screwed me over, especially in the Basilisk area. Got the Spiders Bane and could breath a little easier at least. No more silly deaths whilst I stand still and be hacked apart or eaten alive.

Impatient party member running through Lolth knows how many traps and somehow getting myself hit by all the lightning.

Recent death was at the hands of the Fission Slimes, I figured if I made them duplicate themselves my friend's wizard could lay down some fireballs and roll in that XP. After confirming the wizard had finished his Reverie and memorised the needed spells I proceeded with step one. When it came to step two of the plan, it seemed the wizard was pulling my leg and actually had not memorised any spells of any use.
  • silnisilni Member Posts: 2
    I got owned plenty in BG 1/2, and still do :), but there is one encounter I will never forget.

BG2, my first playthrough. Sewer key. Although I met one mind flayer prior to that encounter (quest under Copper Coronet), i had no idea what kind of fighting capabilities they have. I open the door with the room full of mind flayers and ulitharid, after a seecond or two my character portraits start turning grey. I remember I had no idea what was going on, I didn't even pause the game, I just stared at my screen and observed the massacre that was brought on to my party, with my jaw dropped to the floor. I actually thought it was a bug, I simply could not understand how is it possible to have your whole party killed in 1 round.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    This was in BG2. I had just got the game a few days earlier and was playing through casually, just a trial run sort of, and completely unspoiled. My characters were all about level 9-10, and having come from a pencil & paper AD&D background, I was thinking my group was pretty badass. Yeah. I was ownin s--t. Anyway, I was at the end of the Windspear Hills quest and I meet the "end boss" Firkraag. Of course I had to fight...

The music. Firkraag himself. That I was unloading all I had and still getting my butt KILLED. Everything about that encounter was just amazing to me.

I've played some MMOs here and there (though I'm way over them nowadays). Ragnaros and Onyxia from WoW, Hamidon from City of Heroes, stupidly large lag-inducing fleet battles in EVE Online -- none of those have been nearly as "epic" as my first encounter with Firkraag in Baldur's Gate II.

Firkraag trounced me (over and over) and I didn't beat him that day (though I've repaid the favor many times since), but that moment solidified BG2 as my new favorite game of all time. And it still is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.