Skip to content

What will Charname be remembered for?

mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
I always wonder what charname is best known for by the everyday commoner in the Forgotten Realms. A lot of what's done probably went unnoticed. I imagine only a select number of people might know that he killed Bodhi and stopped the vampire threat in Athklata and how many non-elves would know that charname stopped Irenicus and saved Sussendelar for example.

If you only consider charname's actions in-game and not what is achieved after the event in ToB (whether that be godhood or remaining mortal), what do you think is the most memorable achievement that charname is best known for by the majority of people. Not including account the epic slaying of Reevor's rats of course.

Reasons are welcome :)
  1. What will Charname be remembered for?96 votes
    1. Resolving the iron crisis/freeing the cloakwood slaves/solving the nashkell mines demon mystery
      16.67%
    2. Purging the Sword Coast of bandits
        1.04%
    3. Stopping Sarevok/preventing the war on Amn
      21.88%
    4. Becoming the Hero of Trademeet
        6.25%
    5. Defeating the Cult of the Eyeless
        0.00%
    6. Destroying the vampire threat/killing Bodhi
        0.00%
    7. Killing Irenicus/saving Sussendelar
        9.38%
    8. Battle at the Oasis
        4.17%
    9. Achieving or rejecting Godhood/defeating the Five/stopping Amelyssan
      27.08%
    10. Other
      13.54%

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    It's tricky to pin down one thing, as they're quite conditional on choices made & alignment. And especially as most are not mutually exclusive...

I'm guessing that an evil Bhaalspawn ascending to Godhood and laying waste to the known world would lodge pretty firmly in the zeitgeist...

For a good charname, things like Trademeet, Umar Hills, vampire battles and the Unseeing Eye are a bit too parochial... Especially with the first two (and even Saradush) it might be a bit "Jayne of Jaynestown".
    Saving the Sword Coast from Sarevok is definitely a big deal... Stopping a war, ending economic crisis & re-opening international trade would impress the average "man in the street".

Unless the man in the street happens to be an elf... In which case slapping Irenicus into shape would probably take the biscuit.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    According to Dorn, I had become known as the Butcher of the Sword Coast, so I guess that?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The slayer of noober and neeber.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakMontresor_SPjackjack
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The creation of the ultimate pantaloons.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakjackjackSwordsNotWords
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    It's subjective, really.

The elves will remember him/her as the savior of Suldanesellar.
    A ranger is liked to work a fan base out of the Umar Hills.
    The 'Hero of Trademeet' title and accompanying statues are universally the most recognizable testament to the hero's accomplishments.
    Single-handed murderer of the Tethyrian army may be another, assuming that your name isn't ever cleared for the deed.

I'd probably pick Hero of Trademeet, however, as it is a constant that does not really rely on alignment, race, class or companions to be recognised. I assume everybody, good or evil, completes this quest before they finish SoA.
    mjsAristillius
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I'd imagine most people would remember Charname either as the person who stopped Sarevok... or together with the other bhaalspawn causing somewhat of a world war in faerun...
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @recklessheart @kidcarnival hero of trademeet was my close second because of the reasons you gave: a permanent reminder and a large trading town where merchants visit, hear stories and spread them on their travels
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Trademeet is kind of small potatoes... It's a tiddly little yokel-town a couple of days away from a major metropolis. That's like being called the Hero of Luton...
    FredjoTethorilofLathanderSwordsNotWordsCalmar
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Interesting question. I think it obviously depends on who you ask ;)
    jackjackKidCarnival
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

...though finding Hull's longsword was pretty epic.

Finding Phlydia's book was much more epic, she even thanks you 6 Chapters later so.... I think that is the real thing the PC did.

I think that Charname will be remembered for all those things, not just for one of them, for all of them, together.
    jackjack
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Probably slaughtering thousands of people. Also all that stuff, but mostly murder. Even if you try to play as a "good" character, you very quickly lose track of the body count.
    NonnahswriterFredjo
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

ummm he becomes or refuses to become a god! how is this not the leading option?

...though finding Hull's longsword was pretty epic.

I can understand maybe becoming a god, but why would anyone remember you for not becoming a god? Seriously, how would they even hear about it in a way that would actually last the ages?
    booinyoureyesKidCarnivaljackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I must concur with @deltago - ridding the world of that brotherly menace.
    "What about NOW, huh?!!???"
    CrevsDaakTwoWayFinesse
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    By being killed by Viekang in BG novels.
    booinyoureyesCatoblepas
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I think killing a whole army of a powerful nation is probably the thing that will be most remembered: a lot of the other deeds are basically only known to a few (killing Bodhi, facing down Irenicus, killing Bosslessiyan). Following that, probably stopping Sarevok- but not many people knew what exactly Sarevok was up to, so it was more 'Stopping that crazy guy that almost became a Duke'.

There's an exception to that. If CHARNAME does choose to ascend and become God, obviously their choice to become a god/beating Bosslessiyan will be the thing most remembered. But my characters rarely become Gods, so I didn't choose that.
    CrevsDaakIlphalar
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    his good looks and charm? atleast that's what my bard would like to think
    jackjackFredjoAristillius
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    element said:

his good looks and charm? atleast that's what my bard would like to think

Let us not forget wit.
    element
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Whether Charname be good or evil, he or she will always be remembered for the trail of corpses following their wake and the power of murder in his or her veins...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    I voted for resolving the iron crisis, since it had the entire Sword Coast in the grip of panic and desperation.
    jackjack
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Honestly, my latest charname will probably be remembered for putting on the greatest play the Sword Coast has ever seen at the Five Flagons
    jackjackelement
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think @crevsdaak has a point, he won't be remembered for any one of these events. The whole saga is one story that he is remembered for, I picked the godhood option because that's the climax of the story, not because he'll be remembered for that event. I think preventing war with amn was probably more public and celebrated at the time it happened, and anything havering to do with irenicus is private, no one but you really cared. (And the elves, maybe, be ain't nobody got time for them.)And rejecting and denying god hood probably should heave been separate options, a bit of a difference there.
    booinyoureyes
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Being a mentally unstable half-elven Fighter/Magic-User who took her father's place as a deity of Murder.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Yep that is exactly what my current charname is (plus cleric). Not far from the mark, just add "who slaughtered a thousand people" and you're right on the money.