Skip to content

What is the worst possible kitted multiclass?

golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
Using the mod that allows you to add multiple kits to multiclass characters, it is possible to make some interesting combinations. Of course, it's very easy to make outrageously powerful characters this way, but I wonder: is it possible to make mediocre ones?

Although I doubt the answer is affirmative, I put this question to you: what is the worst multiclass character whose classes all have kits? Assume the character is Human (since we're modding this anyway.) Assume clerics have appropriate kits, perhaps from Divine Remix, chosen to be minimally powerful.

If there is a clear consensus, I may try to play through the saga using the build chosen, also modding all the NPCs to the weakest possible kitted versions of themselves - so for example, Imoen would become a dual-class Shadowdancer/Enchanter with no backstab bonus, Minsc would be a Beastmaster or Wizard Slayer, and Ajantis would be a Cavalier. (No demons or dragons in BG1, and ranged weapons are important there.)

So, what do you think?
  1. What is the worst possible kitted multiclass?65 votes
    1. Archer/Cleric
      26.15%
    2. Beastmaster/Cleric
        6.15%
    3. Wizard Slayer/Shadowdancer
        3.08%
    4. Wizard Slayer/Bounty Hunter
        7.69%
    5. Wizard Slayer/Avenger
        6.15%
    6. Wizard Slayer/Shapeshifter
      33.85%
    7. Berserker/Shapeshifter
        0.00%
    8. Cleric/Shadowdancer
        3.08%
    9. Cleric/Bounty Hunter
        3.08%
    10. Kensai/Wild Mage/Swashbuckler
      10.77%

Comments

• golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    I voted for the last option, just so I could see the results.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    What mod is this? I was under the impression that EEKeeper couldn't do multi-classed kits. (IE, Shadowdancer/Wizard Slayer, Kensai/Wild Mage/Swashbuckler).
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    As far as I know, you can only have 1 kit at a time. I didn't know mods were able to bypass such limitation.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    CrevsDaak said:

Wizard Slayer/Avenger is OP, Web+Spider form+WS's innate melee effect against mages+poisoned weapons=mage serial killer.

Man does that sound sexy... :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Varwulf said:

CrevsDaak said:

Wizard Slayer/Avenger is OP, Web+Spider form+WS's innate melee effect against mages+poisoned weapons=mage serial killer.

Man does that sound sexy... :)
    That's why it is a very powerful combo, the shapeshifter/WS is powerful too, the Fighter THAC0 and HP can help a lot while shapeshifting, mostly to make it a really effective offensive, combined with Fighter's APR.... Lol I think I've voted wrong! It is OP as hell!
    CrevsDaak said:

The multi-kit mod is vanilla BG2 only...
    And, please, Kensai/Wild Mage/Swashbuckler is hell awesome, maybe not as over powered as the Kensai/Conjurer/Assassin but still very good.
    Shapeshifter/Wizard Slayer couldn't have more item restrictions, but anyway with both kits it ends up being very powerful too.

Ah, okay. BG2 only then.

Kensai/Wild Mage/Swashbuckler was a joke.

• MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Archer/Cleric sounds the worst since you only have one weapon type that you're good at, but you can get slings with very good enchantment levels and since you factor in a STR bonus to damage they can do a lot of good work when combined with something like DUHM or Righteous Magic. You can even get a respectable 2.5 base APR (3 with Gauntlets). And, of course, as a Cleric/Ranger you are the best divine spellcaster in the game.

Beast Master/Cleric is probably my pick for worst synergy- you get reduced to Druid restrictions on weapons/armor (except worse because no Scimitars) and get mostly garbage to compensate. Even then though, because of the wonky Cleric/Ranger spellcasting you would end up getting Animal Summoning III at Cleric level 5, which means you're able to conjure up some relatively high-quality summons for that point of the game. It'll definitely get eclipsed by Animate Dead come BG2, but for BG1 it's probably a good spell.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It has to be Wizard Slayer/Shapeshifter doesn't it? No magic items, no armour, very limited weapon pool and the skewed druid spellcasting progression (which is *really* bad as a multi) would make for a terrible character.
    Gotural said:

Off topic, i think Kensai/Wild Mage/Swashbuckler might be the best combo ever. You'll be able to cast time stop even without mod that remove xp cap because of that wild mage spell, and Kensai + Swashbuckler OH MY GOD THOSE BONUSES TO THACO, DAMMAGE AND AC.

Kensai/Conjurer/Assassin is at the same rating, 11/10 :D, you get Poison Weapon + Melf's Minute Meteors = over kill.
    And yeah, Swashie+Kensi=OP, but not without the mage counterpart!
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    All of these sound better than the unkitted versions so I don't know what to vote for I guess any wizards layer with a non rogue is "bad" and so is kensai without rogue or Mage...
    I didn't include Kensai/Cleric because that sounds like a very good class to me. And I think you're right that they're pretty much all better than the vanilla versions.
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    This totaly. You can put only 1 pip to proficienciencies except slings (hooray) where you can put 2. You are multiclass and ranger levels are expensive, yet offer only little benefit.

On the other hand you'll get both cleric and druid spells part of ranger hp and apr, so buffing up and going melee is also interesting. So the class won't be op, but still interesting.
  • ou_deisou_deis Member Posts: 13
    What about Wizard slayer / Enchanter? You wouldn't be able to use any magical items, so no new spells. Or would Wizard Slayer / Wild Mage be worse because of the wild surges... or could the wild surges actually benefit you, since they might be better than your crappy spells?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Arizael The archer attack and damage bonus should apply slings, so it's not a bad multi.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yea, that
    Sat one is hella OP.
    CrevsDaak said:

Gotural said:

Off topic, i think Kensai/Wild Mage/Swashbuckler might be the best combo ever. You'll be able to cast time stop even without mod that remove xp cap because of that wild mage spell, and Kensai + Swashbuckler OH MY GOD THOSE BONUSES TO THACO, DAMMAGE AND AC.

Kensai/Conjurer/Assassin is at the same rating, 11/10 :D, you get Poison Weapon + Melf's Minute Meteors = over kill.
    O . O
    MMM WORKS WITH POISON WEPON?! I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!
    *mind blown*
    ou_deis said:

What about Wizard slayer / Enchanter? You wouldn't be able to use any magical items, so no new spells. Or would Wizard Slayer / Wild Mage be worse because of the wild surges... or could the wild surges actually benefit you, since they might be better than your crappy spells?

I'm pretty sure Wizard Slayer/Mages can learn spells and use scrolls. If not, that's definitely the worst option.

I've seriously considered playing a dual-class Wizard Slayer 13/Mage. Sounds awesome to me - although it never occurred to me that you might not be able to learn spells! But if you look at the description of scrolls it doesn't exclude Wizard Slayers so I don't see why you couldn't.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Well I don't like any of these too much, but an Archer that can't use a bow or crossbow? No thanks.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited February 2014
    Not really these kits, but if you try to get the most gimped result, you should go triple class to level slower. Replace Shadowdancer with Swashbuckler to lose the backstab, and Wild Mage with Diviner or Enchanter, and the fighter part - anything but kensai, for armor restrictions (I personally hate having the ability to wear heavy armor, but not doing it because you disable other skills). Undead Hunter seems a good pick because there aren't many undead enemies in BG1.

Undead Hunter/Swashbuckler/Enchanter.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That…is a terrible class :D Well done.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Arizael said:

This totaly. You can put only 1 pip to proficienciencies except slings (hooray) where you can put 2. You are multiclass and ranger levels are expensive, yet offer only little benefit.

On the other hand you'll get both cleric and druid spells part of ranger hp and apr, so buffing up and going melee is also interesting. So the class won't be op, but still interesting.

Well you lose half an attack compared to a bow archer but you get your str bonus which might be massive and you also get easy access to unlimited +5 ammo as well as cleric buffs for 25 str so this might actually do more damage than a normal archer...

Also don't forget you add iron skins and insect spells...
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @KidCarnival @CrevsDaak

You actually don't receive the penalties when you put a thief kit on a multi-class, so a F/M/Swashbuckler will still have backstab x 5 !

And any kit add to a multiclass will grant you the bonuses of being a kitted mage, which means that a Berserker/Mage/Thief for example, will have as many spells as a Fighter/Conjurer/Thief and won't lose any spells from the Divination school. Thus being a Wild Mage is, i think, more beneficial because you gain NRD and the chaos shields spells.

Extra info : Adding the Blackguard kit to a arcane magic user will grant him the benefices of being a Wild Mage without the disadvantages (so a Thief/Mage kitted Blackguard for example, won't receive any bonuses from Blackguard but will have up to 6 spells per days and will have NRD and the chaos shields spells without the spells surges !).

Sorry for my english.
    @Gotural the Multi-kit mod fixed some of this things in it latest version if I remember correctely, but yeah, you're right in the backstab thing, it is a nice bug :D
    I think the surges are added anyway, but Paladins can't multi-class... And in the latest version, I also think that normal mages had a -1 to their spells to counterpart the extra spells, still not sure about that too.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I had to select Kensai/Swashbuckler/Wild Mage. :( It was so tempting!
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I'd have to go for Wizard Slayer/Shapeshifter. Two bad kits with no synergy benefits = very bad.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    *shutters*
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    CoryNewb said:

*shutters*

What is the relevance of window coverings to this discussion?
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    SlingMaster Extraordinaire! Who needs Grand Mastery in Bows when you can't even use them? You will be decent with a sling, but your proficiency points will be mostly wasted in the Bow types.
    Actually some of these seem really strong (Kensai/Swashbuckler seem to synergies and Wild Magic is always fun to throw in, Wizard Slayer w/ Any kind of Shapeshifting sounds awesome).