Skip to content

#7498 [CORE] - Ioun stones protect from criticals (inadequate item description)

bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
edited February 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
OBSERVED BEHAVIOR:
- ioun stones protect from criticals
- it is not mentioned in the item description for ioun stones
* it is not mentioned for some helmets either, but it can be easily deduced - whereas it can in no way be deduced for ioun stones of which there is no generic form with it's basic function such as helmets' protecting from crits
** evidence for the claim that 'ioun stones are not helmets' lies in the fact that kensai for which helmets are prohibited can wear them

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR'
- ioun stones protect from criticals
- it is apparent in every ioun stone's item description

~~~alternatively~~~
(and preferably on my part)

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR''
- ioun stones don't protect from criticals as an item class
* however a specific ioun stone's magical property might as well offer this protection
** this could even be the property of every available ioun stone in the game but for consistency's sake please note it as *special* (and, lore-wise describe it as magical)

...this also goes for other non helmet headwear such as circlets and capes (there's at least that new one i think)
just note the crit protection as 'special' and get on with it. this will circumvent the problem of these item classes appearing as inherently offering crit protection (i guess it's hardcoded that all headwear does) when they obviously, for aesthetic reasons, shouldn't.

this is a small bug, but an ugly one.

@Illydth @Gate70
(if you mind being summoned like this and it's unnecessary, please let me know, i apologize if that's the case)
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Whatever you put in the helmet slot and it's tagged as helmet will protect you from critical hits.
    This should be denoted in the description but the Ioun stone shouldn't protect you either from critical hits.
    And, yeah, this is hardcoded, so the only fix without giving the games 6 turns is enhancing the description.
    Whatever you put in the helmet slot and it's tagged as helmet will protect you from critical hits.
    This should be denoted in the description but the Ioun stone shouldn't protect you either from critical hits.
    And, yeah, this is hardcoded, so the only fix without giving the games 6 turns is enhancing the description.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    somebody says that it had been fixed earlier, in tobex
    https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15069/ioun-stones

can't find any reference though, this should be looked into

either case, just fixing the item descriptions will do
    CrevsDaak
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    This is something that was mentioned over a year ago.

@Jalily, thoughts about the descriptions?
    i'm sorry i searched but didn't find it. maybe i made a typo.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @bob_veng, no worries. If you used the built-in forum search then I cannot say I'm surprised. :-)
    nah i googled the site and even specifically searched for helmets lacking full description :)

- an idea:
    at the bottom of description page, there could stand: "NOTE: The ioun stone's blessing aura also protects the wearer from critical hits"

all rights forfeit
    edited February 2014
    @Gate70
    Gate70 said:

Sounds reasonable to me, have raised as 7498 fao Troodon80 or Illydth (level d) which can always be rejected if not the case. Shout if you believe the list below isn't correct.

Helm27, bronze
    Helm19, dusty rose
    Helm23, golden
    Helm26, Lavender
    AmSoul01, Malla's Soul Stone
    Helm24, Obsidian
    Helm20, Pale green
    Helm18, Pearly white
    Helm25, Silver
    Helm34, Wong Fei's

You are missing the Helm of the Rock, it's upgraded version and the Dragon Helm, unless their descriptions were changed... I can't check their file names right now.
    EDIT: or it was Ioun stones only?
    Gate70
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    bob_veng said:

(i guess it's hardcoded that all headwear does) when they obviously, for aesthetic reasons, shouldn't.

That's true, and we're looking into the possibility of removing automatic crit protection for non-helmet headgear.

In the meantime, the ability has been added to the following helmet descriptions: Roranach's Horn, Skull of Death, Dragon Helm, Helm of the Rock (with and without horns), Gold Horned Helm, MISC9P, Patrol Leader's Helmet, Vhailor's Helm.
    bob_vengCrevsDaak
    awesome awesome!
    CrevsDaak
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited February 2014
    Tagging for 7498.

@bob_veng: Just as an FYI (and maybe this is just me) I LOVE being summoned to threads. I don't get a huge amount of time to just browse things on this board (let alone the site) so if there's something specific I can help out with don't ever hesitate to @ summon me. :)
    CrevsDaak