Skip to content

Favorite throwing weapon poll!

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
Sup fools!
Been thinking of trying out some new weapons, and I've never built a character around throwing weapons. Thinking about a Fighter/Thief with darts! Are darts any good? Anyone use them regularly on a warrior class?

Got me thinking, what are everyone's favorite throwing weapon?

Note: This is your favorite, not necessarily the *best*. So vote for either what you find the coolest or what you think is the most powerful/effective depending on what you value as a player.

Also please state your favorite examples of the weapon you choose (or others) to help a brother out in choosing which to master!
  1. Favorite throwing weapon poll!57 votes
    1. Darts (ninja style)
      17.54%
    2. Daggers (I love that scene in Men in Tights)
      29.82%
    3. Axes (geronimo!)
      24.56%
    4. Hammer (Mjolnir smite thee)
      14.04%
    5. Just show me the results (this option does NOT "mean all of the above")
      14.04%
SCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited February 2014
    I voted darts, since that is where I am leaning right now, but I could very easily be convinced to change my stance.
  • nonmisainonmisai Member Posts: 8
    The essential Azuredge. You can one-hit those bloody liches and vampires at the very beginning. The other throwing weapons are just plain throwing weapons...
    booinyoureyes
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Voted Hammer just because I love a Dwarf warrior using the Dwarven Thrower, but if I have to give you a suggestion, go with throwing daggers, you'll find lots of them, and good ones too, added to all the powerful melee daggers you could find and you should really use in melee due to throwing weapon penalty in melee.
    Second choice I would suggest throwing axes because you'll find a good variety of them and also powerful melee axes, like the vorpal one etc.
    third choice suggestion throwing hammers because of the poor variety (but Dwarven Thrower rocks!) and the possibility to use Runehammer and Crom Faeyr in melee. ;)
    booinyoureyesJLee
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    This was oddly hard. In the end I went with daggers, because they seem most stylish.
    booinyoureyes
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Heresy, this poll has no option for Throwing Halfings!
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyesNecomancerOneAngryMushroom
  • NeeberNeeber Member Posts: 33
    Voted daggers. Currently playing a skald that i ee keepered into an elf. Modeled him after Jarlaxle, uses lots of magic items and such. Needless to say He throws lots of daggers. Its a blast
    booinyoureyes
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Heresy, this poll has no option for Throwing Halfings!

And a throwing scimitars option! Poor Habib Khalid!!

I certainly did not see Men in Tights, but Firetooth+3 is the best throwing dagger in the game. It sets your APR to 2, adds STR damage, it deals 2d4+3 and hits as +3. Then, if you do the search for tje Gong (Limited Wish quest) you can find a Throwing Dagger+2 in early SoA.

@Metalloman melee daggers are also cool, but they deal low damage if you don't have much STR. Anyway the Pixie Prick+3 is nice since target has to save vs death or sleep for 2 rounds, and you can get that in early game.
    The bad thing is that the only Throwing Hammer in the game is Dwarven-only and that will restrict him other races if he does not want go use it, but in the EE they've added a nicr new Throwing Hammer, an enchanted Brick+2 :P
    Melee hammers are very good indeed.
    Darts are nice, much more if you are an Assasain, for 3 poisoning APR :D

For melee I recommend THS, since with thief's HLAs you can use Carsomyr+5 :D
    booinyoureyesFenghoang
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Is there any end to your awesomeness @booinyoureyes ? Hahaha seriously that scene in Robin Hood: Men in Tights is hilarious xD
    "HE'S GOOD WITH HIS DAGGERS"
    booinyoureyes
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I haven't seen the movie (?), so I don't know if I like a scene. My fave throwing weapon is dagger though, specifically the personal weapon of my jester.
    As I mentioned in other topics, he is raging with envy about everyone who can do something better than him. That goes mostly for mages - Jester charname wanted to be a mage, but wasn't smart enough (or so Gorion said, and he was obviously lying because he was jealous of Jester charname's amazing arcane talent and wanted to hold him down). To look better and mightier when fighting mages, Jester crafted a throwing dagger that would make mages look worse. "The Long Goodbye" is a throwing dagger with a chance to cast Miscast Magic or do acid damage on hit (25 %). Once the pompous mage (and really, aren't they all pompous, arrogant jerks who only cast spells to remind the jester of his failure to become a mage?!) is hit, he can't brag with his so-called "talent" anymore - his spells fail or are interrupted, and the jester stands by and mocks the mage while watching him slowly die.

Mechanically, I also like darts in BG1 because there is a variety of magical versions. Axes would be nice, but no magical ones (except very late game) keeps me from using them.
    edited February 2014
    @nonmisai I usually have Minsc uses axes so I will have no problem using Azure Edge (it is a situational weapon regardless)

@metalloman I'm ashamed to say that I've never had the Dwarf Thrower since I didn't even know it existed until recently (Would love if it actually threw dwarves). I'm gonna try it out on my planned run with a Dwarven Defender!

@kidcarnival http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mp2p_robin-hood-men-in-tights-scarlet-o_fun
    CrevsDaakjackjack
    Anyway, to elaborate ... Throwing Axes are probably my favorite for warriors because Strength+Dexterity bonus? Daaang. For non-warriors though Darts are a lot of fun because of their ridiculous APR.
    Kamigoroshi
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Playing a Dwarven Kensai now and I never knew about the Dwarven Thrower before. Holy ish!!!!! He dominates with that thing. It's almost OP to be honest and more than a little cheesy. But...good times nonetheless!
    booinyoureyesQuartz
    woah... plus ELEVEN vs ogres and giants??????

Yaga Shura gonna get dwarfed
    QuartzCrevsDaak
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    If all of these are the generic versions, then darts because they have 0 weight which I think is pretty important. If we're talking about magical versions that return to you, then I'd choose dagger.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Everyone seems to forget about The Brick +2. The Dwarven Thrower is no longer the only throwing hammer in the game you know.

I actually like The Brick quite a bit. In one of my playthroughs I have Anomen using it and it is pretty much just as good as his sling (slings are kinda sorta a throwing weapon too by the way). Even without the added effects of the hammer it does only a little less damage than a sling +2 with bullets +2. With the added effects (1d12 magical damage and 1 round of 100% spell failure unless a save vs. spells is made) it is an amazing weapon. It is really too bad that it causes a 10% chance of wild surge on everyone in the area (that is twice the chance of surging a wild mage has). Also too bad it is only a +2 weapon, but it is possibly the most devastating +2 weapon in the game.
    booinyoureyesJLeeCrevsDaak
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited February 2014
    Personally nothing says 'I want you dead' more, than an axe being thrown in your general direction...
    JLeejackjackKidCarnival
    @Awong124 I literally have no idea what "The Brick +2" is.

Everything they added to the game requires you to pick up the new NPCs. Sigh.
    booinyoureyesjackjack
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I only like the boomerang-effect throwing weapons... okay, I also like the poisoned throwing daggers. But there's no returning one so I don't use throwing weapons. Mechanically speaking Darts of Wounding are quite awesome, though I guess maybe the powergamey min-maxers might disagree.

You wrote Mjølner wrong btw. Shame on you. Damn foreign heathens...
    booinyoureyesWolkKidCarnival
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    fiery dagger is probably the best, but surely you can't get more epic than the dwarven hammer!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    See, this is funny because I like hammers and I recently learned that my avatar is actually Ultimate Thor from the Ultimate Marvel series.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakWolklolien
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    As much as I love daggers, (and boy do I), the idea of a returning throwing axe and the images it conjures up are just too hilarious for words.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    @Tresset I've mentioned The Brick +2, but indirectly :P
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    You axxed for it!
    booinyoureyesjackjackCrevsDaak
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    @Quartz I don't know what it is either. Tresset mentioned it.