Skip to content

Bug? No three-way fight in Fierkraag's dungeon

In BG2 original, I remember that there's a part in the dungeon where a Captain, an Orc, and a tiny troll are having a fight and they go at it in a 3-way melee and someone survives.

Now, both the troll and the orc try to leave, and they disappear, leaving the Captain wolfwere just standing awkwardly with a blue circle.

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @thelee: So haven't played the original in about 10 years+ myself.

This could have been fixed as something not intended with the game, the scene could have been changed to better reflect what was supposed to happen, or you could have found a minor bug.

At this point, it's pretty hard to tell which this is. I'll go ahead and summon a couple people here and see if they have any recollection on this.

When you say "leaving the Captain wolfwere just standing awkwardly with a blue circle" do you mean that the captain is non-hostile and non-interactive permamently? Can you talk with him to make something happen?

@Troodon80, @LiamEsler, either of you know what scene this is talking about and/or know what's going on? I tested Firekraag's Dungeon when we did the quest walkthrough, but I don't remember anything like this happening.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2014
    Yes, the Captain wolfwere just stands around, blue, non-interactive and doesn't try to leave the area or find an exit. Interestingly, i had a quick save before opening the nearby cavern wall where he was nearby, then I got my butt kicked by an Adamantium Golem (I guess using a two-handed sword to stay out of the golem's melee range while keeping him stuck at the cavern wall entrance no longer works in EE), reloaded, and in the reload the wolfwere was gone.
    edited February 2014
    That being said, the orc's new behavior (running away) *does* better reflect what the orc is saying ("i'm getting out of here!" or something to that effect), versus vanilla where the orc stuck around and tried to fight. But, the 3-way fight dynamic seems awfully specific AND there's the fact that after there's one survivor (i believe the mini-troll) it says a good-riddance message before seeking an exit; these two factors from the original suggests to me that the new behavior (everyone fleeing from Captain) is a bug.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    The golem gets stuck and he don't reaches you if you use a Two handed weapon (or ranged weapon).
    They haven't changed this.
    edited February 2014
    I can attest that while the golem gets stuck, an Adamantine Golem can in fact reach someone with any "long" melee weapon (or at least two handed swords, but they should have the same reach as other "long" melee weapons). I've also failed to do with with the Otyugh in the first part of Jon Irenicus's intro dungeon. I'd love to see some evidence that I'm just not doing it right anymore (even though I've been doing both the golem and otyugh trick for like a decade on vanilla).
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Illydth said:

@LiamEsler, either of you know what scene this is talking about and/or know what's going on? I tested Firekraag's Dungeon when we did the quest walkthrough, but I don't remember anything like this happening.

I also do not recall this behaviour happening when we tested it, and operated as intended. Currently, Gerg and the troll now leave, right after saying "I leave!"

The previous behaviour had both Gerg and the troll fighting which, contrary to the above mentioned, didn't really make sense since they were 'leaving'.

I am unsure if the current behaviour is intended or not, as they do now reflect better on the "I leave!" statement. However, the werewolf being left over is a bug, I think, but that ties in directly to whether or not Gerg and the troll leaving. If that turns out to be the bug here, then upon being fixed everything will then revert back to what it was.