Skip to content

Kill Everything

So yeah, as the title suggests, I'm thinking of doing a playthrough in which at the earliest opportunity, I murder every being - mortal, immortal, elemental, undead, construct, whatever - that can possibly be killed, right through the saga. That's the whole premise of the challenge - I murder everything in the entire game. Now, obviously there are exceptions as killing certain beings would prevent me from advancing the story, i.e killing most people in Candlekeep would turn Gorion aggressive, and certain beings are unkillable/insta-slay you if you try anything. My question - as someone without in-depth knowledge of game mechanics - is A: is this playthrough doable, for example will the near-constant 1 rep cause too many problems, and B: can you guys help me out with examples of individuals that are unkillable in the game.

One note, I don't need to solo the game necessarily, so (necessarily evil) party members can join with me, but I need to kill all NPCs that won't be in my final party and then slay and boot whoever's left before the end of the Melissan battle.

Comments

• fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    Sounds time consuming.
    golingarfNecomancersemiticgoddess
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    This sounds completely insane - and not just in a sociopathic way.

Aren't there better uses of life? (Both real and computer-simulated?)
    bbear
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    Lol, if even people who have played through BG multiple times think this is long-winded and unnecessary, it probably is. Must say though, I quite like the idea of slaughtering my way through Baldur's Gate and Athkatla on minimum rep, leaving an empty Sword Coast for the ascended Bhaalspawn to rule.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Well, you can't. Trying to touch Tethtoril always results in your death. Your character cannot hope to resist his death spell, even if he has max level for 1. Also, Gorion is untouchable. At least in the originals. All others can fall like ripe watermellons, especially if you are high level and imported character.
    meagloth
    Lol, guess I won't bother then! Thanks for the input :)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    God said:

Did that. Boring as hell, I had to tweak unkillable creatures to make them killable and I eventually edited Charname to be a level 50 sorcerer and set him with a good AI script (modified eSeries) to automate the majority of the slaughter. Sometimes it was amusing to watch him cause general mayhem but there are definitely more interesting ways to play Baldur's Gate.

But... What about the fires of Heaven raining down on the masses and the tentacle angels ripping the earth apart with their war trumpets?

Sounds like a party to me!
    jackjack
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Well, you can't. Trying to touch Tethtoril always results in your death. Your character cannot hope to resist his death spell, even if he has max level for 1. Also, Gorion is untouchable. At least in the originals. All others can fall like ripe watermellons, especially if you are high level and imported character.

This.

I had to use a full lvl 40 party to kill thethoril, and he killed most of us. Even then it was before the 1.2 patch, when Gorion was easy and now I think there just plain invincible. And besides, if you could kill Gorion, there would be no way out of candelkeep.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    May I suggest the complementary good version of this run? Donate money to every beggar in the game!
    jackjack
  • AskejiAskeji Member Posts: 6
    Tethoril is the guy at the start of the game in Candlekeep? Why is he such a badass? Do you meet him later on? I never finished BG1 and don't mind spoilers.
    edited February 2014
    Askeji said:

Tethoril is the guy at the start of the game in Candlekeep? Why is he such a badass? Do you meet him later on? I never finished BG1 and don't mind spoilers.

He helps you to escape when you are captured at a crucial plot point, so he kind of needs to be alive.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Askeji said:

He helps you to escape when you are captured at a crucial plot point, so he kind of needs to be alive.

Bah thats what Biff the Understudy is for :D
    elminster said:

Askeji said:

Bah thats what Biff the Understudy is for :D
    I had this discussion in another thread, in which the OP had murdered Tethoril, Ulraunt and everyone else in Candlekeep, then got captured by the guards. I assumed Biff would fill in but apparently Tethoril showed up, bearing no grudges about his recent slaying, and did his thing.
    Blackravensemiticgoddess
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Well if you do decide to do this run-through, Dorn would absolutely love to be in that party I am sure. With Dorn and some of the other evil jerks (Edwin, Tiax and Shar-Teel come to mind), I am sure all of the numerous guards that assault you wouldn't be a problem.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    funny thing is, I've done this before in both games, and because of this mass genocide I found very interesting items, in very interesting places back in the day when I didn't know where all the cool knick knacks were, no it is quite do able in both games, ( minus the peeps that give you game over when you make them hostile) in bg1 you are going to have flaming fist mercenaries harass you a lot, but I played an evil team where I killed absolutely every soul in Baldur's gate the city ( minus the duchal palace) and for some weird reason I got another tome of wisdom somehow, from doing it, so that was a plus, and in SoA you are going to be harassed by high end amnish soldiers with some cowled wizards accompanying them, but again survivable, so I say give 'er gas, you might find some neat items along the way
    Blackraven
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Askeji said:

As for why he's so OP, I think it's less that he ACTUALLY has godly instadeath powers and it's more that you're not supposed to start the game with a team of level 40s. Normally, when you're in Candlekeep at level 1, even if Tethtoril WASN'T a cheater he'd probably still be able to kill you in one hit. Tethtoril is basically just countercheese. If you decide to attack him with a team of level 40s, it looks like the joke's on you.

Also, at one point I saw a funny BG youtube video (I believe it's called "very short game of baldur's gate") where someone charmed Gorion with Charm Person and had him attack Tethtoril. You can guess what happened next.
  • EastheathenEastheathen Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2017
    From my attempts, it looks as though attacking almost anyone in Candlekeep will aggro Gorion. Killing him is absolutely possible with a fresh PC (charm trick mentioned above) OR an imported BG1 PC (a wand of plaralyzation and a few hasted skeletons did it for me). Killing him will unfortunately not trigger Biff the Understudy which makes it impossible to leave the prologue as a murderer as far as I know.

Keep in mind that following the "Kill Everything" rule strictly and applying it to merchants locks out more items than you are gaining off of corpses, which typically have almost none of the powerful items they use (quest characters and merchants themselves are perfect examples of that). Keeping Thalantyr around is wise (at least until you get what you need from him). You might also find that Carnival soon becomes your base of operations. The few tent-shops there will still deal with you even if you murder the rest of the carnival as far as I know and it offers an easy resting/ammo restocking station.

Other than difficult combat, lack of items, and giving in to a number of quest characters later on, it is VERY doable. I have attempted to role-play a number of games as a truly evil Bhaalspawn (solo and party-based) but it ends up being very difficult to bring the game to life as you are often forced to say heroic things and cheese around encounters. Needless to say, it's obvious that this type of gameplay was not at all intended no matter how many children blow up in your wake (my evil witch exclusively coming to life then and ONLY then). It's weird to think that one of the most conceptually violent and horrific and acts in gaming comes from a 1998 [T for Teen] RPG. I guess ESRB let one slip way back then.

SoD through ToB will have many of the same issues mentioned above, although I have less experience and specific tips. Best of luck, it's going to be a tough campaign >;)
    Post edited by Eastheathen on
    semiticgoddess
  • EastheathenEastheathen Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2017
    sarevok57 said:

funny thing is, I've done this before in both games, and because of this mass genocide I found very interesting items, in very interesting places back in the day when I didn't know where all the cool knick knacks were, no it is quite do able in both games, ( minus the peeps that give you game over when you make them hostile) in bg1 you are going to have flaming fist mercenaries harass you a lot, but I played an evil team where I killed absolutely every soul in Baldur's gate the city ( minus the duchal palace) and for some weird reason I got another tome of wisdom somehow, from doing it, so that was a plus, and in SoA you are going to be harassed by high end amnish soldiers with some cowled wizards accompanying them, but again survivable, so I say give 'er gas, you might find some neat items along the way

Keep in mind one would be missing out on ALL vendor items if following these rules strictly, which I found to be many more items than the ones gained from looting corpses... but you are totally right about neat little surprises along the way! :wink:

I typically keep Thalantyr until I clear his stock and the Carnival vendors as they do not mind who you murder outside their tents from what I remember (it seems to be the only location you can easily sleep and restock ammo outside of traditional cities and you may find yourself naturally gravitating towards it as I have).