Skip to content

Inconsistency in Viconia's Tastes

LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
And yet Viconia has no problem whatsoever when romancing a half-orc. Change of heart, perhaps?
Discuss
Post edited by Loub on

Comments

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    I have also noticed they missed many chances to use her infamous "rivvil" statements and other Elvish words in her new dialogue. Which would have made sense in BG1 since she states in BG2 she was barely accostumed with common at the time. What gives?
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    See this confuses me. Look at Dorn. Hes not ugly. Hes like an extremely manly elf with tusks. Hes pretty much man pretty. Also pretty much with Recklessheart said. I honestly wonder if Overhaul had any experienced writers or if they were all just programers doubling up. I'm not saying this as an insult, if they did this it makes total sense. They are a small company after all, but it'd explain some of the writing.

See this confuses me. Look at Dorn. Hes not ugly. Hes like an extremely manly elf with tusks. Hes pretty much man pretty. Also pretty much with Recklessheart said. I honestly wonder if Overhaul had any experienced writers or if they were all just programers doubling up. I'm not saying this as an insult, if they did this it makes total sense. They are a small company after all, but it'd explain some of the writing.

I'm unsure as to what make of this post, given that I cannot comprehend sarcasm.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    From previous forum discus... *cough* debates we can say that the dialog added in the EEs isn't appreciated as the old dialog wrote by Bioware.

Also, I think that Viconia doubts about this, I do know how racist Drow are, and I don't think they consider half-orcs more than dumb fighters and probably pleasure slaves. Then, she (Viccy) has a, well, common Drow addiction to sexual activities, I don't know if many people recalls that banter with Sarevok in ToB... When he says that he fears her after she tells him that Drow didn't consider male's pleasure (I think I'm missing something anyways).
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    @Loub Its not sarcasm. Dorn is not nearly as ugly as most half-orcs out there, mostly due to lack of pig nose. The other part is also true, though perhaps said with more ignorance on my part then I'd like. I am unsure who did the writing for these characters, if they had other jobs to do as well or how large the team that did BG:EE is. I've heard its pretty small though, and with small teams everyone has to work a bit harder.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2014
    @Necomancer The writer for BG2EE was Andrew Foley. You may know him for Cowboys & Aliens, the comic, not the movie, for instance. I don't remember if he did Dorn as there were other professional writers working for Beamdog.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @elminster I knew he had said it in some thread... Being nearly asleep on keyboard was not helping me to remember though. Thanks :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited February 2014
    ...Yikes. That information might explain why I prefer Neera over the rest. Rasaad is ok though.

@Loub I'm with @Necromancer -- Dorn is very handsome if you're into somewhat gruff-looking dudes. Yeah he's not a little smooth-skin blonde hair pretty boy but plenty of people think that somewhat big, rough-looking guys are sexy. And of course, everyone is different in their tastes. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. Point being though, Dorn essentially looks like a human except for his under bite. Very handsome for a half-orc.

Excellent example using Cumberbatch, btw, @KidCarnival. I think I saw an interview with him where even he himself admitted he does not think of himself as being particularly good-looking.

Simple: one must stay conscious of Viconia's original writing as compared to what was written for her in EE. These kinds of dialogues are very tricky, because although everything Dorn says is true to his character, everything written for Viconia is essentially on par with fan fiction - not to belittle the work of Overhaul.

This, except get rid of the "not to belittle the work of Overhaul" part. I'm a critical, blunt asswipe and we all know that, so.

All I'm seeing is Viconia not finding Dorn attractive, not her finding all half-orcs unattractive.

The way Dorn responds to her comment makes it pretty clear that it was aimed at his race, and not himself.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Loub said:

All I'm seeing is Viconia not finding Dorn attractive, not her finding all half-orcs unattractive.

The way Dorn responds to her comment makes it pretty clear that it was aimed at his race, and not himself.
    Not necessarily. She says "your appearance," not "your race." Dorn's the one who took it as a hit at his race, but that's not what she said.

Note, however, that she makes no attempt to correct him. Seems pretty open to interpretation.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Loub said:

Viconia says his appearance, not necessarily his race.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Dorn also thinks everyone hates him because he is a half-orc and not because he's a slaughter happy blackguard. It doesn't say a thing that he interprets it as "Viconia thinks all half-orcs are ugly". From her lines, it's clear she means him specifically.

@Quartz: Cumberbatch... So that's how it's spelled. :D
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    And the self-applied term for his fangirls and boys? (They do not consider it derogatory.)
    Cumberbitches.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Exactly what I thought when I read it.
    Loub said:

Except that Dorn is hypersensitive/paranoid about reactions to his race, as indicated even in the 1st BG.

Viconia's subsequent response distinguishes that, although a race may be generally disliked, an individual (namely herself) may still be considered attractive.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    jackjack said:

And the self-applied term for his fangirls and boys? (They do not consider it derogatory.)
    Cumberbitches.

Ya, I read a plea from him on Reddit a while ago, asking his fans to use a different term. Seems it didn't help. Poor guy.

Yes, I know, off topic. :P
    edited February 2014
    It seems some confusion has befallen the minds of the transient present here.
    This particular snippet of dialogue was plucked from BG1, and not the second installment, which makes Dorn's statements about Lady Devir being burnt at the stake borderline prophetic. I also find it of no use knowing who wrote Dorn's storyline in the second, given that there is a possibility they did not write his in the first.

I also assume that I am falling once again into the abyss of psychopathy, judging by my own vocabulary and bleakness. Perhaps it would be best for this one not to dwell in these lands for a while, lest I provoke some higher power into punishing me due to my perverse and mockful nature. What do you think, @Heindrich?

Good day...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    I find it rather confusing that Dorn was written by separate authors for each game, if that is the case. But I'm not even sure if that's what's been said.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2014
    jackjack said:

I find it rather confusing that Dorn was written by separate authors for each game, if that is the case. But I'm not even sure if that's what's been said.

It's not actually as unusual as it may seem. Many movie sequals have different writers, and even a tv show will often have different writers for every episode for contractual/time pressure reasons. Usual practice is to establish a 'house style' and have one team (usually director/producer level) to oversee that the style and various themes and character arcs are maintained.

Edit: typo correction
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited February 2014
    I don't necessarily see Viccy not liking how Half Orcs look, so much as not liking the way Dorn looks (based on the captioned text anyway). Perhaps he is particularly ugly for one of his breed? Or maybe Charname is particulary comely? Or just a different enough look from Dorn to be attractive?
    I have decided, upon hearing your feedback, to put my Half-Orc Paladin through a Viconia-Dorn love triangle to see how that plays out. Mind you, with college and all I might not have much time, but I'll most certainly go through it. At some point. Eventually. In the future.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Loub said:

I have decided, upon hearing your feedback, to put my Half-Orc Paladin through a Viconia-Dorn love triangle to see how that plays out. Mind you, with college and all I might not have much time, but I'll most certainly go through it. At some point. Eventually. In the future.

Been there, done that.

If you choose to sleep with Dorn while romancing Viccy, she ends her romance immediately with a very firm "You disgust me." I have no idea how Dorn reacts if you choose her instead.
    Shandyr said:

Makes me want to fawn over him, but when I remember that he's a blackguard I recoil in horror :(

Is it bad that I still fawn over him despite this? >_>;;
    edited February 2014
    Shandyr said:

Perhaps he is particularly ugly for one of his breed?

Nope. He's definitely particularly handsome for one of his kind.
    Makes me want to fawn over him, but when I remember that he's a blackguard I recoil in horror :(

(I know I know that's just how I view him ;) )
    His unwashed mats of hair don't really do him any favors, though. Blech.
    A hint: if going through with dreadlocks, don't use the neglect method, or you'll be in a word for a hurt. And stench. And lice. And rejected applications for work. And dirty pillows.
    I don't think Dorn particularly cares for his appearance, though. And I imagine his Body Odor would turn on a lot of guys out there, just ask any MSM out there, they'll either be or know someone who likes it.

If you choose to sleep with Dorn while romancing Viccy, she ends her romance immediately with a very firm "You disgust me." I have no idea how Dorn reacts if you choose her instead.

Surely there must have been more than that, given Viconia's usual eloquence
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Heindrich I'm surprised that you had Viconia in your party, I mean... You've killed a Flaming Fist Enforcer! Or it was BG2? Anyway you have to commit a not so good act in both games, unless you were playing Chaotic Good, so saving her was good intentioned... No matter what I'm surprised.
This discussion has been closed.