Skip to content

Save That Drow! Sword Coast Edition

So most everyone here is familiar with Viconia DeVir, former priestess of Lolth that you save from certain death... or not.

From a gaming perspective, I save her because it nets me an early Plate in BG1 and is generally a cheap way to gain XP in both 1 and 2. But what about why my character would save her? Or neglects to save her, at any rate.

So let's play a little game, shall we? Post an alignment and a justification for saving Viconia, as well as a justification for not saving Viconia. Don't worry if someone else picked the alignment you wanted, just go with it!

I'll start with Neutral Neutral.

SAVE: She is a drow, murder is in her nurture.
DON'T SAVE: She is a drow, murder is in her nature.

Comments

• elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2014
    I picked an alignment Ive never played so lets see how It is

Lawful Neutral
    Save: this man is clearly taking the law into his own hands this women must stand appropriate trial and be judged by those who aren't filled with blood lust

Don't Save: This officer of the law is just doing his job I have every confidence he is only doing what is expected and instructed of him to help the Drow would be to aid a criminal

My bards reasoning in my EE run through: shes good looking should probably save her
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    Neutral Good:

Save: Killing her or letting her die solely on the say-so of one man who has no proof of a crime worthy of capital punishment isn't justice, it's murder. Ideally, you could do this without having to kill the flaming fist officer, but standing in defense of a helpless person when they are being persecuted is the right thing to do.

Don't Save: As a priestess of Shar she stands for everything that is anathema to a NG character. She actively supports the work and agenda of a goddess that wishes to bring about the undoing of the very world in which she lives. Although she might not have committed any crime this time, it is not unlikely that if she lives she will go on to commit terrible crimes in the future - she is all but obligated to do so in service to her deity.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Going for a couple that I rarely play, pertaining to the BG2 situation.

Chaotic Evil

Save: For one, Viconia would be a useful addition to your party. More importantly, to defy the crowd in Athkatla and create a bloodbath would surely make a fitting tableau or bard's tale to demonstrate your ferocity and brilliance.

Don't Save: The weak deserve their fates, and they deserve no sympathy.

Lawful Neutral

Save: The model of social justice being presented reflects poorly on legal institutions, and the exaltation of Beshaba as a legitimate power in a society that masquerades as being stable and controlled introduces a volatile element to perceptions of authority. In addition, a LN character may believe that ignorance and prejudices such as these weaken society as a whole, particularly in a city of trade that relies on a cosmopolitan clientele to flourish.

Don't Save: It is foolish to interfere or become unpopular in the public eye in a new city where one wishes to gather information. Besides, who knows what unfavourable attention a person could draw if they create a scene in the Government district. A LN character may believe that rallying the general populace against a minority or disputed social group strengthens society as a whole.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    Chaotic Neutral
    Save: because I know what it's like to be singled out through assumption (BG1); because I don't mind having her or anyone else in my debt. But her especially (BG2).
    Don't save: because I don't want to expose myself to the hassle or danger of being on the wrong side of the law (BG1); fire is pretty (BG2).
    Edit: thought about it some more.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well...

The more Lawful characters, even the good ones, the only reason you are ever given on why she should be killed is "Because she's a drow." and it's not exactly a good argument on why you should do it... So at that point, saving her becomes the more just thing to do actually than straight out killing her for no good reason... Unless there's some kind of law that all drow must be killed on sight...

Chaotic characters... chaotic good would probably save her because it appears more the good thing to do even if against the law to do so.

Chaotic Neutral probably would just flip a coin or something...

Chaotic Evil would most likely save her because they realize that Drows usually are quite powerful so having one as an ally would be a good idea.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Chaotic Male
    Save: "Black elf tats!"
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    edited February 2014
    True Neutral

Save: A lonely drow elf in leather armor asks for help, or else she will be killed. I remember the only other drow elf on the surface world I´ve ever read about, Drizz Do´Urden, and instantly make the decision to save her from an untimely death, in whatever form it pursuits and persecutes her... which appears to be a Flaming Fist Mercenary, claiming that she is evil and must be destroyed. Now I face a moment of doubt, because the Flaming Fist Mercenary I encountered before while travelling on a public road attacked me, thinking I was a bandit - I simply don ´t approve to their views of justice and honor.

Some insightful reading about the roles she plays in the game:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damsel_in_distress & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femme_fatale

Secondly, the whole situtation is a good example for the thesis of true neutral alignment´s motto of siding with the underdog in any given situation - disregarding Viconia´s Magic Resistance, she is clearly in danger, wearing only a leather armor and a mace versus a sword, shield and plate mail. This is true in SoA, too, and the situtation is even worse for Viconia, being tied up on a stake as a victim of witch-hunt. I don´t think it´s fair to be judged only by one´s heritage, though at the same time my opinion of the drow on the surface world might be a bit influenced by my youthful memories of reading R. A. Salvatore´s novels about Drizzt and his exodus from Underdark.

Don´t save: Well, I tend to save her, but I can imagine roleplaying either a Flaming Fist enthusiasist in BG1. or a cleric of Beshaba in BG2.
    Post edited by Tarlugn on
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Lawful Good
    Save:
    I always save Viconia in BG1 even if a lawful good Paladin. I don't trust the flaming fists judgement after they accosted and came near to attacking me on the road to Bereghost.
    If they will attack a small group of travelers for no reason, I would Imagine that a Drow would simply be killed on sight, wether guilty of anything or not.
    Don't save:
    Drow are born evil, and thus should be murdered on sight. (Except for Drizzt)
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited February 2014
    I think we all forgot the most important alignment.

Batman
    Save:You can't let this obvious injustice go on, even if it means saving a villain.
    Don't save:You swore to work with authorities and lets face it, despite the whole "no kill" thing you sometimes do it anyways.
    Post edited by Necomancer on
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Honestly, in BG1, I find it very hard to justify not saving her. The Flaming Fist are mercenaries hired by Baldur's Gate, rather then a true city guard, and their judgement is seen as pretty poor (seen between the confrontation you have with them on the road). He says she's a murderer, but refuses to elaborate, and there's no trial or anything. Just straight up 'SHE'S A MURDER NO I WILL NOT ANSWER WHO SHE MURDERED I KILL'.

In BG2, she directly calls out for Shar. Priestesses of Shar basically have to kill innocents to remain Priestess's of Shar. At that point, it's a conflict between a Sharran and a Beeshabian- whoever loses, everyone else wins. That being said, I think being burned at the stake is hideous compared to being killed in honorable combat, so if I'm playing a more hoity toity group, I save her then kill her in fair combat (one on one with my CHARNAME, none of the other characters joining in).

So I guess my question is, are we talking BG1 or BG2? In BG1, I can see no reason why a chaotic good character wouldn't save her, unless s/he doesn't read at all and has thus never learned that 'always' doesn't mean 'always' (Drizzt exists!). In BG2, I can see quite a few reasons why a CG character might leave her to burn.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2014
    @Twani

By the way, I should add about Drizzt. You freaking meet him in the Sword Coast and probably before Viconia (unless you rush to get her).

Everyone knows about Drizzt. Even the guards: "I can take on Drizzit with one hand behind my back."
    I think a meeting with Drizzt is all the reason CHARNAME needs to save Viconia.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Viconia's encounters are...odd to say the least. With most evil characters you just sort of pick them up and usually its obvious they're not so good.

With Viconia is quite the opposite. A good person is faced with a moral dilemma one often doesn't face when dealing with evil companions. It often seems the good option is to save someone evil, possibly from someone not evil. This is the sort of situation every RPer of a good and/or righteous character should be stuck in at least once (but not too often or it becomes tedious). Sometimes the good people come to blows, sometimes evil is the victim, and thats when the whole alignment thing can get interesting.

I remember I had a paladin once who needed the help of an older paladin and met his daughter, a half succubus prostitute who, by the rules of her race, always detected of evil. Their encounters and talks were...interesting to say the least, and a character's reaction to stuff like that is what keeps you from being the standard cut out of alignment and makes your character unique
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    LN in BG1

Don't Save: The authority is the law, and their decision must be respected regardless of reasoning.

Save: The authority of the mercenary is called into question, or the mercenary in turn, is breaking a law by presenting himself as judge, jury and executioner without lawful reasoning of why this drow cannot be taken to the nearest settlement for conviction. BUT that is a stretch.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited February 2014
    Lawful Good (BG1)

Save: What evidence is there of the drow commiting a murder

Don't Save: All drow (except Drizzt) are evil

Chaotic Good (BG2)

Save: Beshaba worshippers are just as evil as the drow are (Beshaba is the evil opposite of Tymora, as Shar is the evil opposite of Selune) and it is not justice to burn someone simply because he/she is of a race with an evil reputation

Don't Save: (I can't find a good reason why. I mean, even Minsc recognized the injustice done to Viconia!)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    deltago said:

Don't Save: (I can't find a good reason why. I mean, even Minsc recognized the injustice done to Viconia!)

You were encumbered and couldn't reach the stake in time.
    This is brilliant.
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    Lawful Neutral
    Save: Vigilantism is poisonous to legitimate order and authority. The Flaming Fist seems to be acting on no one's authority but his own, and the followers of Beshaba are clearly insane.
    Don't save: But then again, if I interfere I'm taking the law into my own hands as well. I'll report the incident to the appropriate authorities.

True Neutral
    Save: The drow is on the wrong end of a clear abuse of power in both situations. Time to rectify some imbalance with my sword!
    Don't save: *Yawn*. Not my affair.

Chaotic Neutral:
    Save: I feel like killing some people today!
    Don't save: Oooh! Never seen a public execution before. This could be interesting! *Casts Agannazar's Scorcher to pop some popcorn*

Lawful Evil:
    Save: She might be useful and I could use some practice stabbing things in the face. Murder is technically against the law, but...if I tried to save a helpless woman and was attacked for it, isn't that self defense?
    Don't Save: Whether the drow did anything wrong or not, dealing harshly with people who are seen as deviants helps maintain order. And why should I risk my hide saving her? I'm not a damned Knight of the Radiant Heart. And I certainly don't need some Underdark filth slinking about behind me, plotting my demise and drawing the attention of every goody-two-shoes around.

Neutral Evil:
    Save: Maybe if I save her she'll do me.
    Don't save: Stupid b*** got herself caught, so I doubt she's useful enough for it to be worth me risking my neck. And I doubt I could trust her anyway.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

I agree (mostly) with this statement, but wonder about a world (even a fantasy one) where what Minsc (INT 8 WIS 6) thinks about anything carries weight! I love Minsc (and scored highly on the test at http://www.minscandboo.com that determines who is hero/ranger/hamster/whatever else), but he is not as sharp as his sword.

He isn't even as sharp as Viconia's mace.

I believe that Viconia was raised in a society where evil was normal. She's also a rebel (Chaotic vice the normal Lawful of the Drow). She's also a manipulative bitch, early on.

Save: Damsel in distress (as mentioned above), attractive, and desperate. And, since the only option is ruffian frontier justice (not a trial or whatnot), it's forced to a head (slay or save, no middle ground). In this situation, a good party would eventually realize she's not at all interested in doing good deeds and manipulated the party into letting her hide amongst the protection of mages, warriors and (probably) a rogue... It makes no sense for the party to actually keep her (if a good party) over the long run.

Don't save: Because it's so obvious. She doesn't belong where she is, and there are no tales of her rampaging across the countryside doing good deeds. Similarly, it's all too convenient that this elven abomination just happened to be unjustly accused of murder most foul. While the Flaming Fist are mostly idiots, only one group of them was ridiculous, and even they could be talked down by smart lips (confession: I usually screw it up and end up killing them)...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    This seems like the place to say this: one of my favorite dialogue choices in BG2 is after you save Viconia and tell her that you want to save Imoen she says something like "why would you bother". Your response can be something along the lines of "the same reason I would help you when you were in need just now". She totally sees the logic and kind of concedes the point. It was an interesting discussion and made perfect sense. One of those cases where an evil character in a game wasn't like "mwahahaha kick orphans!" and actually saw the benefits of good actions (now if only Lawful Evil characters could see the benefits of a high reputation...)
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    There is no evidence she weighs the same as a duck.
    And therefore bur... wait, no no. We must go and rescue the drow.
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    I've often been noted as one of admirably (or necessarily) broad horizons, @booinyoureyes. As my people say, lil waela lueth waela ragar brorna lueth wund nind, kyorlin elghinn; the foolish and unwary find surprises and among them, waiting death.
  • noctem93noctem93 Member Posts: 63
    Chaotic Good

(BG1)

Save - The Flaming Fist represents all that I despise. Their blind devotion to "the law", regardless of the good or evil effects that their acts cause, is the reason enough to side with Viconia.

Don't Save - I might not like the Flaming Fist, but he did say she was guilty of murder, and the Drow are supposedly inherently evil creatures. Saving one wouldn't necessarily uphold the greater good, especially if I had to kill the Fist merc to do so. (It should be noted, however, that I would not be rooting for the Fist; rather I would just let those two go at it and may the best fighter win).

(BG2)

Save - An angry mob burning someone at the stake is not *good* no matter how you look at it. Plus, my penchant for personal freedom just wouldn't stand for that kind of public execution. Murdering someone just because of their race seems like something any CG character would disagree with.

Don't Save - Pretty hard to find a reason not to save *anyone* from an angry mob, especially without some compelling reason that they deserve to be burninated alive... I'm reaching here, but I guess I'd have to fall back on the inherent prejudice against Drow that permeates the Realms. Still seems out of character to let her die, no matter how I slice it.