Skip to content

The Road to v1.3: Phase I

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
While we move forward in the Road to Android, we are also continuing to improve the experience for those of you who are already playing the game on Windows, Mac, and iPad.

We've pushed an update to the Windows and Mac beta builds now. The full changelog of our progress so far is listed at the bottom of this post.

Already have access to the beta? Great! Keep reading to find out what we're looking for.

Phase I: Performance Test

Start a new game and walk around Candlekeep, talk to the NPCs, try out your character's spells and abilities, and generally make sure that the pieces are all fitting together. Not a lot has changed engine-side that will affect your system's performance (unless you're running Windows 8, in which case you should see some improvement), but we still want to make sure things are running smoothly.

When you get to a point where you've tested the waters and are satisfied that the game is still running great, open the Google Form linked below and send us your feedback. We'll move forward when we have received 100 confirmations for each task we will move to the next phase.

Testing Survey

Successful Tests: 14 / 100
- - -

Change Log, 2/20/2014

The following changes have been made for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition:

New Features

The following new features have been added or improved:

Backported feature: Custom Sound Sets

One of the features from Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is the ease of using custom sound sets without having to edit a 2da file. This feature has been backported to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, so if you want to use a custom sound set just drop the files into your sounds folder.

7440: NPCs Follow the Rules

Creatures and characters that are not in your party will now follow the same rules as your own party for the purposes of proficiencies. This means that if an enemy is wielding a weapon with which they are not proficient, they will suffer a penalty to their attack rolls. No free rides here, ill-equipped foes!

5952: Drizzt's New Digs

Drizzt has been repaletted to match his canon self, including the green piwafwi cloak. He is also now actually wielding his scimitars, meaning that they can no longer be pick-pocketed (which solves some plot issues with BGII:EE). He will also be able to see you now, even if you're hiding or invisible (which solves some other issues within BG:EE).

5831: Friends with Nature (Don't Pet the Racoons)

Elves, Rangers, and Druids may now walk up to animals in the forest without them running the other way. Note that this does not automatically ensure your safety when dealing with wolves and bears...

7534: Increased Font Size and Wider Dialogue Window

The combat log window has been widened and the text size has been increased for better readability. Check it out:

935: More Dynamic Spellbook Screens

If you're on the Wizard Spells screen for your mage, and you switch to a priest character that doesn't cast mage spells, the game will now automatically switch to the Priest Spells screen, and vice versa. (Cleric/Mages will stay on the current screen.) Memorizing spells has never been easier.

General Bug Fixes

6941: The Luck spell no longer permanently erases the target's weapon proficiencies
3141: Spell-created weapons now display their combat information correctly on the Inventory and Record screens
3307: The Identify screen in a store no longer allows scrolling past the last item in the list
6639: Spell scrolls that can be scribed into the selected character's spellbook are now tinted green
7037: The cursor now correctly switches between shields when swapping equipped shields on the Inventory screen
7092: Dual-classed Thieves now receive their correct backstab multiplier when their Thief abilities are restored
7219: The Pick Pocket thieving ability now caps correctly at 255 instead of wrapping around to 0
7258, 7038: Editing and creating map markers now works correctly on the Local Map screen
7310: Spellcasters with both Divine and Arcane spells can now view spell descriptions when right-clicking the spell icon from the gameplay screen
7333: Spells with long spell descriptions now display their full descriptions on the spell description screen
7385: Items that are unusable by True Neutral characters now correctly include "True Neutral" in the "Unusable By" list
7452: Items that are marked as unusable by Half-Orcs now correctly prohibit Half-Orcs from using those items
7488: (MODDING) The APR column in CLSWPBON.2DA now works correctly for non-warrior classes
7492: (MODDING) The FIRST_LEVEL column in PROFSMAX.2DA now works correctly even if the value is greater than 2
2016: On the Record screen, the Statistics pane now displays a value for "Hide in Shadows" and "Move Silently" for Ranger characters, instead of only "Stealth"
2218: Resting now unpauses the game (this eliminates situations of spawning multiple guards when resting outside in town)
2221: Helmets and Shields now keep their existing colors when changing the wearer's Major and Minor Clothing colors
2259: When a character depletes a source of ranged ammo, that character will now automatically switch to the next available stack of ammunition in the quiver
4077: (MULTIPLAYER) User journal entries for client players should no longer appear as invalid strings upon loading a saved game
5140: When zooming in and out, the cursor will now change dynamically to suit the object(s) behind it
5733: Subtitles during movies now display correctly when UI Scaling is enabled
6027: The Reform Party button will now be disabled if there are no characters that can be removed from the party
6666: Traveling to an area's eastern edge from another area will now correctly place the party at the edge of the map
6679: Journal entries no longer disappear when scrolling on the Journal screen
6690: Exported dual-class characters now keep the correct amount of hit points on import
7035: NPCs no longer play their selection sounds in addition to their voiced lines when dialogue begins
7078: The game will no longer freeze when Starting Over during character creation after importing a priest character
7285: When the UI is hidden with the "H" hotkey, the Reform Party screen will now work correctly
7342: Spellbook UI elements will no longer cause issues when viewing a spell's description
7350: Unidentified stacks will no longer stack with identified stacks of the same item
7530: Double-clicking on a stack of items on the ground will no longer crash the game
6978: Mages who lose their familiars will no longer suffer the hit point damage effect each time the game is loaded
7233: Montaron will no longer leave if you force dialogue with him when your reputation is 12
1410: The merchants in the Iron Throne will no longer appear after they’re supposed to be gone in Chapter 7
4340: Familiars no longer have fist weapons in their quick weapon slots
6564: In the Tutorial, Belt now gives you a weapon appropriate to your proficiencies
4392: In the Tutorial, Belt’s dialogue no longer makes specific reference to hitting Brevin with a quarterstaff (he still tells you to hit Brevin, but is no longer specific about the weapon)
5956: The GUI is now properly hidden at the start of the Black Pits during the opening cutscene
6147: During Erik and Jondalar’s combat tutorial in Candlekeep, Watchers will no longer take matters into their own hands
6629: Rasaad will no longer duplicate himself when removed from the party
7148: Ghosts in Durlag’s Tower no longer attack the other creatures in the area
7330: Dorn and Shar-Teel’s argument now ends in a dramatic fight-to-the-death rather than an anticlimactic non-fight-to-the-death
7340: Shar-Teel will now only claim victory if she has won the fight in her initial encounter
7389: The Doomsayer in the Kozah side quest will no longer respawn after being killed
6998: The Amnian soldier in the Nashkel barracks will no longer offer plot non-sequiturs in the player’s available responses
7376: Lothander’s poison quest no longer gets stuck mid-quest
6732: Sarhedra will now recognize the player’s completion of her quest if the ogres have been killed
7347: Laurel’s quest with the gibberling horde no longer ends prematurely
7006: Killing Zhurlong before his boots are returned to him now closes the quest in the player’s journal
6465: Phandalyn the paladin is now actually a paladin in class and alignment
3369: There are no more random women screaming their lungs out in the Cloakwood Mines
7382: The player will now retain control of Dorn in the aftermath of his first encounter if Dorn has joined the party
6187: Innate spells that were missing spell icons now have proper spell icons assigned
5899: Items that grant immunity now grant proper immunity for the purposes of messages that display in the combat log
5884: The Shield spell now properly protects against traps that cast magic missile
5837: The elven sleep resistance now protects against Power Word: Sleep spells
5894: Off-hand weapons no longer grant damage bonuses to the main-hand weapon
5893: The Rigid Thinking spell no longer causes a color change in the target if the target succeeded on its saving throw
5892: The Miscast Magic spell no longer plays a sound at the end of its duration for targets that were not affected
5891: The Charm Person or Mammal spell no longer plays a sound at the end of its duration for targets that were not affected
5889: Wizard Slayers now add the Miscast Magic icon to the portraits of their targets when their Miscast Magic ability takes hold
5890: Wizard Slayers now use their Miscast Magic ability with ranged attacks as well as melee attacks
5887: The Ghoul’s paralysis ability now plays the “end duration” sound when the effect ends, and not after
5886: Belt of Inertial Barrier now displays the correct icon on the wearer’s portrait
5851: Spells from items now make use of the appropriate spell schools
5849: Cursed weapons no longer proffer a bonus to their speed factor
5841: The Energy Blades spell’s weapon now uses the proper power level
5839: The Black Blade of Disaster now disintegrates its targets when killed
5838: Magical items that were not previously flagged as magical are now flagged as magical
5835: Dialogue with Zeke has been revised to fix a clerical error
5823: The Berserker’s Enrage ability now uses the proper power level
5822: Kensai attack, damage, and speed bonuses are now applied at the correct levels (this only affects characters at higher levels in BG:EE with the XP cap turned off)
5846: Small Shield +2 no longer provides a bonus against missile weapons
5844: Spell scrolls now use the same parameters as when the spell is cast from memory
5842: All golems are now correctly immune to poison, charm, fear, hold, sleep, and backstab
5944: Rasaad’s boots and bracers are now only usable by Rasaad
5836: Spell scrolls no longer list unnecessary kits in the “Unusable By” heading
5946: Barbarian will now be displayed in the list of class resitrictions as appropriate
5832: Mordenkainen’s Sword will no longer be affected by Blindness, Polymorph, Petrification, Confusion, Deafness, Charm, or psionic attacks
5888: Dagger of Venom no longer applies more than one poison icon on the target’s portrait
5840: Gloves of Healing will now use the appropriate power level
5825: Orcs wielding bows no longer play the incorrect sounds (or no sounds at all) when injured in combat
5827: Several engine tables have been updated to use correct information based on the game’s available resources
5824: (MODDING) CLABFI05.2da, the class table for fallen rangers and paladins, has been updated to remedy some formatting errors
5821: (MODDING) The SPELL.IDS file has been updated to remedy some formatting errors
5843: The Potion of Storm Giant Strength now correctly targets only the creature that used it with all of its effects
5826: The Bard’s spell progression at higher levels has been updated to match the progression used in BGII:EE
7304: The Shadowdancer’s backstab progression has been adjusted to match the kit description (and the class’s progression in BGII:EE)

Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2014
    Dee said:

5952: Drizzt's New Digs

Drizzt ... He is also now actually wielding his scimitars, meaning that they can no longer be pick-pocketed
    Ohhh. But Drizzt was like the ultimate reason to put towards pick pocket as they were like an early-mid game prize. You needed to have 95 to have a chance at getting them. Other than stealing from stores, which is non-existent until Nashkel, there's really not a lot extra available for people who put anything more than 50 to pickpocketing.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Regarding the weapon proficiencies issue, dows this affect many enemies in the core parts of the game? I'm thinking about potential balance issues
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 169
    edited February 2014
    Exciting list, thanks ladies and gents at Beamdog
    (a pity that Quick Loot toolbar seems absent though hopefully post-android?)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Dee said:

5831: Friends with Nature (Don't Pet the Racoons)

Elves, Rangers, and Druids may now walk up to animals in the forest without them running the other way. Note that this does not automatically ensure your safety when dealing with wolves and bears...
    Wait sec.. does that mean my druids won't have to run like crazy anymore just to slaughter all those countless enemies which were polymorphed by Neera's wild surges? Yay!

"6465: Phandalyn the paladin
    is now actually a paladin in
    class and alignment"

Hehe. Since making the request I was actually really embarrased whenever I got an internal status email about it. Seemed kind of silly in retrospect but thanks to anyone involved with it.
  • sebsti1991sebsti1991 Member Posts: 4
    "5890: Wizard Slayers now use their Miscast Magic ability with ranged attacks as well as melee attacks"

woot.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    This is really what i expect , because of i still feel BG was designed by PC originally , i enjoy play it on my tablet , but i hope the original game can continue to improve game experience , big fonts , better game experice , how good it will be ,
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

"5890: Wizard Slayers now use their Miscast Magic ability with ranged attacks as well as melee attacks"

woot.

Definitely the biggest improvement in my eyes. I may actually play a Wizard Slayer (probably in the Black Pits) now!

And I really don't see how "2016: On the Record screen, the Statistics pane now displays a value for "Hide in Shadows" and "Move Silently" for Ranger characters, instead of only "Stealth"" is an improvement. But ok.
    Presumably it helps clarify the benefit of the boots of stealth for instance.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    When can we get the quickloot bar in BGEE?
  • knight1337knight1337 Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2014
    What about BG2EE next patch?
    Post edited by knight1337 on
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063

What about BG2EE next patch?

Dude thats this one !!!
    And they are working on it !!
    Did you read the post ?! :)
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Dee said:

7534: Increased Font Size and Wider Dialogue Window

The combat log window has been widened and the text size has been increased for better readability. Check it out:
    NOOOoooooo!!! What's this? Is there a way I can mod it to a previous state? I really dislike this!
  • eupolemoseupolemos Member Posts: 7
    Impressive.Now go and make a Baldur's Gate 3.You are ready.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Adul said:

Hmm. Did we really need a larger action log? Was this a problem on the PC? I think it takes up far more space than it needs to now, and because of that I'm reluctant to install this update. Can this change be reverted via the in-game options or via editing the ini file?

Yes, the window and the text size is way too large on my screen. If this will be part of official release, I won't update it.
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    edited February 2014
    I'm hoping it's at least a .ini setting somewhere. Preferably an in-game toggle.

Edit: I've just tried out the new patch with a BGEE beta client, and the log window really is too big. I've not found any setting that would change it back to the original size.
    Post edited by Thunder on
  • Dronovich_mskDronovich_msk Member Posts: 45
    Any news about Russian localization???
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    I reported weird blips on a critical hit; on further testing occurs only indoors and in very dark areas. Also I tend to agree that the new size of a log window is unnecessarily big imo.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited February 2014
    The good new >> Custom Sound Sets

*Puts the 30 sound sets from IWD in the sound directory*

The neutral new >> NPCs Follow the Rules

I use the weapon prof from BG1 (bg2tweaks)... Moreover, for the NPCs, THAC0, AC, saving throws & number of known spells are not based on the rules (and it's not a problem).

The bad new >> Increased Font Size and Wider Dialogue Window

Perhaps a improvement for the tablet... But on large screen, it's more comfortable to read when the text is centered.

Edit : There is a torrent beamdog for dl this beta version ?
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    So... did you fix the critical bug what the kit packs like Kit Revision or something like that cannot be installed properly? In v1.2, the changes and modification through mod were not applied as the mod is intended and described. This was already reported at the modding forum.
  • ObsydObsyd Member Posts: 11
    Great news! Is the "Firebead's quest - Thethoril will not give the scroll" fix in this patch?
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Nice add-ins!
    @Obsyd Already fixed in previous patch I believe.
    Not sure this was a bug...
    Hmm I think I have the latest version of BGEE but the Firebead's quest "bug" is still there. I might be doing something wrong though.
    edited February 2014
    Obsyd said:

Great news! Is the "Firebead's quest - Thethoril will not give the scroll" fix in this patch?

That was fixed in version 1.2 which came out I believe on October 31 (earlier for beta testers and a bit later than that for Steam and Ipad users)
    Abel said:

Nice add-ins!
    @Obsyd Already fixed in previous patch I believe.

Not sure this was a bug...

I believe that is what the spell description states that the blade does. That said it seems like more of a BG2EE issue.
    Seems like an odd choice not to centre the text but I don't have any issues with the actual size of it.
    Well I have the 1.2 version and the launcher tells me there are no updates (OSX). I must be doing something wrong then.
    Actually now that I've played around with it I agree that the combat window itself is kind of big. Even with the expanded text most of the actual window doesn't get used up (at least in the case of playing the game in English).
    Obsyd said:

Well I have the 1.2 version and the launcher tells me there are no updates (OSX). I must be doing something wrong then.

Version 1.2 should have it fixed. So if you create a new game you can't get Firebead to give you a new scroll? Seems kind of odd. It worked for me on mac (back when 1.2 came out). Maybe make a specific thread about it in the BGEE bug section about it (since this thread is for beta testing the next version).
This discussion has been closed.