Skip to content

A Brief History of China

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
edited February 2014 in Off-Topic
As suggested/recommended/encouraged by @Anduin @mlnevese @Aristillius...

I share my amateur effort, which I wrote a few years ago for fun, to summarise the history of China and describe the key phases, events and trends of Chinese history. It can be found here or attached to the post if visible.

This is not an academic work, though I'd like to think that there are no glaring mistakes within, and it offers an objective and broad overview of an epic scope of history and the countless individual stories that make up the story and history of China, starting from the origins of Chinese civilisation to the birth of the People's Republic of China in 1949.
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    This was an interesting read indeed. Thank you @Heindrich!

Though I kind of hoped to find something about the Paleolithic and Neolithic ages of China in there as well. I'm obviously nitpicking here, I know. But since I'm a hopeless paleontology geek, I just can't help of wanting to read something about how Homo erectus "conquered" China... some 1.4 million years ago. :P
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Kamigoroshi
    I'm glad you liked it. :)

I actually own a really old history book printed by official Chinese education authorities. In that 'official history' book, the first chapter focuses on "Peking Man", which is described as being over a million years old and the ancestors of the Chinese people. We now know of course that "Peking Man" was Homo Erectus, and that Chinese people are Homo Sapien, like the rest of the Human race, but the Communist authorities initially preferred the propaganda value of claiming 'Chinese Exceptionalism' by claiming a different origin for the Chinese people, and one that did not arise from Africa, but was native to and tied to the 'sacred land of China'.

So basically Homo Erectus are not really Chinese :P. Just like Neanderthals are not really Europeans (although some studies suggest that there might have been some inter-breeding between Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals in Europe).
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Of course. I wasn't really suggesting that Homo erectus and modern Homo sapiens are closely related to each other. Merely that I find it fascinating to learn more about the daily lives of our ancestor's cousin's former roomates. The Homo neanderthalensis are also a interesting lot in that regard. It's very intriguing of how many new things we can learn about them from paleontological sites. For example: their cannibalistic tendences, which not many people know about.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I couldn't see any attachment until I went to the edit section. You might want to link that file in your post, @Heindrich, just to make sure. :-)
    @Troodon80

Oh... that's weird... Well I've 'insert image', even though it's not an image. Hopefully it's okay now.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2014
    @Heindrich, edited.

I've downloaded it. I am curious, so I'm going to take a look at this. :-)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. :)
    Troodon80 said:

@Heindrich, edited.

I've downloaded it. I am curious, so I'm going to take a look at this. :-)

Thanks! I didn't realise I could do that with files as well!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    @Troodon80 that happens sometimes, it happened to me with a BG2:EE save, and Gate70 said that he was sorry but there was no save :P and it was there but it wasn't showing.

@Heindrich amazing read, I certainly appreciate history so I'm going to read it!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Just completed my read.

Awesome.

I particularly like your links to the Ghauzadong (excuse spelling) peninsula as a place of defence... That kind of fact would be missed in a more in depth history. I learnt a lot. Thank you for educating me. (Wish my own pupils would say that!)

China's history is very bloody.

Makes British history seem quite peaceful.
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    Thanks for sharing that, @Heindrich! Haven't gotten a chance to actually read it, but I will be sure to do so soon. :)
    @Heindrich I totally agree with your assessment of Europe being on a par with the warring states period in China.

However... China is far, far, far vaster in size and population than Europe.

The entire Roman civilization had a population at it's height of only 59 million. Europe was a small part of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_demography

Britain couldn't scrape together a million at this time (although it is thought that pop. could have been around the 2 million mark before the Roman arrival and then plummeted due to the arrival of new diseases... evidence is scant...)

In fact the population in Britain did not much rise past the 1 million mark, not until Elizabethan times did the population rise to nearly 5 million and even the 1801 census shows it below the 10 million mark still...

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/unit/10061325/cube/TOT_POP

The black death caused such major suffering, mainly because, in places, hardly anyone was left alive... There are still villages you can visit in England that were abandoned after the great plague of 1665. (On another note, the Black Death came from China? I thought Africa was the point of origin?)

So when you read 30 million killed and displaced, many times in the text... Yes... Your assessment that it is comparable to WW1 is totally agreeable!

I think something that is commonly forgot, in China the peasantry seemed to be involved in the conflicts from a very early stage. In Europe, this was not the case.

The Romans primarily had an army made up from the citizenry... However the rest of Europe had a warrior class... You were given the right to bare arms, usually by birth (which is a terrible way to decide!)

Vercingeterix, the leader of the united Celts who faced Julius Caesar, was seriously hampered by the fact that most of the population under his command could not fight as they were not of the warrior class. It allowed Rome to take over, and simply replace the nobles at the top with little change to those at the bottom.

Not until feudalism, when William the Conquer, fought alongside his retinue of nobles, who were given the right to raise men from their fief, could the peasantry join in. Poor Harold just had his housecarls... He was going to lose...

This theme continued through medieval times. The English were not good at following the rules it seems... Longbowmen being Yeomen at best, were of the lowest sort, according to the French Nobles, the knights (and you needed to be a rich noble to afford a warhorse, armour, weaponry and the servants needed to keep your tools of the trade in servicable order and to get into the darn armour!), who would severely underestimate them and die in there thousands...

The local population just did not get involved in the wars, until Napoleon invented conscription...

The wars in Europe, primarily, have been about replacing the people at the top.

Viking raids, pillaging, looting and popping over to France to claim kingship and putting a thousand arrows up your upper class noble (and even this was frowned upon... Catch a noble alive and you get a hefty ransom! A medieval version of winning the lottery, if you slip with the nasty pointy thing, you lose all your money...)

This is an over simplification, but in no war until WW1 did anywhere near a 100,000 (let alone a million) were killed in any war.

This was a useful site to back up my words...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_by_casualties

China takes up the top slots... Although the Mongols killing nearly 3,000,000 million at Baghdad raised an eyebrow. Legend has it one man fell of the walls of Baghdad and somehow survived. Genghis took this as an omen, after stripping all the men and women naked he herded all the occupants of the city into a huge crowd and sent his armed men in to kill them all... Making the lone man, who fell from the walls, watch.

Genghis... Truly Chaotic Evil. Because he made the rules up as he went and gave no mercy... not even to his sons (another story for another time perhaps...)
    Anduin said:

However... China is far, far, far vaster in size and population than Europe.

The entire Roman civilization had a population at it's height of only 59 million. Europe was a small part of this.

@Anduin
    It would be unfair to compare the Roman Empire with later Chinese dynasties, where advancements in agriculture, particularly fertlizers and the development of rice farming in the Yangtze River valley allowed a population boom in China in the Song, Ming and Qing dynasties.

The accurate comparison would be with the Han Dynasty, which had a similar population to the Roman Empire at its peak. You are right in that I forgot the Roman Empire included non-European subjects. But also remember that Rome never conquered all of Europe, so there were Germanic, Celtic and other peoples who were 'European', but not counted in Roman population census.

Overall equating Europe and China as roughly equal in size and population is reasonable. China's geographic size has changed over the ages, depending on how expansionist the ruling dynasty is, but the Chinese core, or 'China-proper', is about the same size as Europe.
    Anduin said:

On another note, the Black Death came from China? I thought Africa was the point of origin?)

There are different theories, but it was quite certainly spread by trade that was associated with China. In addition Chinese physicians examined and studied diseases matching such symptoms, and recorded them in a fair amount of detail.

The Chinese record everything; accountants and bureaucratic geeks by tradition. Did you know that a lot of the histories of Central Asian, Persian and other Asian cultures are recorded by the Chinese, rather than their respective peoples? Cos you know, what else is a bureaucrat historian in the Civil Service gonna do all day? XD

From Wikipedia:
    "The Black Death is thought to have originated in the arid plains of central Asia, where it then travelled along the Silk Road, reaching the Crimea by 1346.[6] From there, it was most likely carried by Oriental rat fleas living on the black rats that were regular passengers on merchant ships. Spreading throughout the Mediterranean and Europe, the Black Death is estimated to have killed 30–60% of Europe's total population."
    Anduin said:

I think something that is commonly forgot, in China the peasantry seemed to be involved in the conflicts from a very early stage. In Europe, this was not the case.

Yes I described that revolution occurring during the Warring States Period. The success of the State of Qin was partly because it was the first to make the most use of new technology and organisation to mass produce weapons and armour to equip huge 'commoner' armies. The Ji, or early Chinese halberd, for example, was brutally effective, and composed of simple parts that could be mass produced (cast iron forging) from moulds like in a modern factory assembly line.

Cast iron technology was first used in China in the 5th Century BC, and not seen in Europe until the 15th Century AD, about 2,000 years later. This (partly) explains why Chinese empires were able to equip large armies so early in history. If a Chinese kingdom stubbornly held onto traditions that only the nobility would fight in battles, then that kingdom would be wiped immediately out by a horde of peasant infantry armed with crossbows and halberds.

Anduin said:

However the rest of Europe had a warrior class... You were given the right to bare arms, usually by birth (which is a terrible way to decide!)

Actually China had a version of this system in certain dynasties, but I'll maybe write about that in a separate comment.
    Anduin said:

Not until feudalism, when William the Conquer, fought alongside his retinue of nobles, who were given the right to raise men from their fief, could the peasantry join in.

Sinophiles (people who possibly give ancient China too much credit) consider China to have been in the Feudal era prior to unification under the First Emperor and the Qin Dynasty (221 BC). With the development of the (officially meritocratic) Civil Service in the Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD), China began to exhibit traits of a modern nation-state that made it much more politically developed/advanced than other countries until the European Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution. This is a rose-tinted analysis however, as the Imperial Examinations were obsessed with Confucian doctrine and tradition, and was also not immune to corruption and official manipulation.
    Anduin said:

This is an over simplification, but in no war until WW1 did anywhere near a 100,000 (let alone a million) were killed in any war.

This was a useful site to back up my words...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_by_casualties

China takes up the top slots... Although the Mongols killing nearly 3,000,000 million at Baghdad raised an eyebrow. Legend has it one man fell of the walls of Baghdad and somehow survived. Genghis took this as an omen, after stripping all the men and women naked he herded all the occupants of the city into a huge crowd and sent his armed men in to kill them all... Making the lone man, who fell from the walls, watch.

Genghis... Truly Chaotic Evil. Because he made the rules up as he went and gave no mercy... not even to his sons (another story for another time perhaps...)

A few mistakes here @Anduin. You shudda read my section on Genghis Khan and the Mongols more carefully :P (Just kiddin'... it's 27 pages, I'm impressed you've read it so quickly already.)

Okay, let me explain...

1) I really don't like that Wikipedia list... not only is it not particularly comprehensive, it can be rather misleading. The Siege of Baghdad is used as an example to include civilian casualties occurring as a result of a massacre, but there has been plenty more massacres in the classical era where more than 100,000 people were killed after a city fell, or died as a result of famine during a siege. That list is full of inconsistencies that I personally feel that it is pretty much meaningless.

2) Historic casualty counts are hopelessly unreliable, even more so than the accounting of the size of armies. Historians have all sorts of reasons to inflate or deflate numbers to serve different political agendas. If you look at the Battle of Changping, the records were written by Sima Qian, a famous Han Dynasty historian. The Han Dynasty hated the Qin Dynasty bitterly, and used the battle as an example of the ruthless brutality of the Qin Empire, in particular the supposed massacre of 450,000 prisoners of war, which would be considered a deeply dishonourable act in Chinese culture. The record was intended to legitimise their rule and say to their people "Look guys, I know you might be a bit angry about all the poverty and hunger whilst the Han elite enjoy luxurious palaces and fabulous wealth, but at least we've destroyed the tyrannical Qin Empire, and ended the wars that used to cause such terrible suffering. Don't rebel... you don't want to return to those dark days do you?" Did such a massacre actually take place? That's far from certain.

Take another example in the supposed loss of over 300,000 soldiers in the Battle of Salsu in the disastrous Sui invasion of Korea. Yes there was a huge invasion of Korea, yes it ended in total defeat. But did all those soldiers really die? Given that a fleeing soldier, if caught by the authorities, likely faced execution as punishment, soldiers that fled a lost battle would not likely report back to their units again. Instead they might have deserted and returned home, or maybe settled in Korea, or became outlaws and bandits. All soldiers missing at the end of a campaign are counted as dead, which is not exactly accurate. Also the records of the Goguryeo–Sui Wars were written by the succeeding Tang Dynasty, which like the Han Dynasty, had a vested interest in exaggerating the failures of its predecessor to legitimise its take over.

"The Sui Dynasty has lost the Mandate of Heaven, look at their colossal failure in Korea! Look at the glory of the Tang Dynasty! We have conquered Goguryeo and brought the light of civilisation to these barbarians! We have succeeded where the Sui failed! The favour of Heaven lies with the Tang Empire!"

3) The Roman Empire was the only power in Europe to have dominated as much land and people as the Chinese dynasties, and so if you compare Roman battles with those of the contemporary Han Dynasty (and look at realistic numbers), then the numbers are comparable.

For example at its height the Roman Empire had around 400,000 soldiers. Han China had around 600,000 soldiers. It would have been interesting if the two empire ever came to blows. The Han army was larger, but standard Han infantry was not as well equipped and trained as Roman Legions. On the other hand, the Han Empire, due to the necessity of fighting the Xiong'nu, had massive professional cavalry regiments totalling around 250,000 men. Neither side would have had any experience of each other's way of war.

4) Finally your schoolboy error! Genghis Khan died in 1228, the Siege of Baghdad was 1258, 30 years later. He could not have been present!

People always simplify history for the convenience of a story, and Genghis Khan, as remarkable as he was, has been overblown by historians into something even bigger than he was. His key achievement was unifying the Mongol people and other nomadic tribes, and forging them into a military superpower. Under his leadership the Mongols destroyed the Persian Empire and mauled the Jin Dynasty, but the major conquests of the Mongol Empire would follow with the campaigns of his sons and grandsons. The Chinese Song Dynasty, held out until Genghis' grandson, Kublai Khan, finally achieved total victory, but by then the Mongol Empire had already fragmented into several Khanates.
    Your right wiki should not be trusted!

Halagu Khan, brother of Mongke Khan conducted the siege of Baghdad...

The legend of the man falling from the walls was from a siege... So sure it was Ghengis! So sure it was Baghdad... The legend I read was from a book... I cannot find corroboration on the internet.

Ghengis's death is shrouded in mystery (I checked to see when he died...)

Did he die falling from his horse? Or did a wife kill him in his sleep? Give him a warriors death let it be a fall from his horse!