Skip to content

Irrational love for particular spells.

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

Just a thought on this topic. Isn't all love Irrational by it's very nature? If it were rational it wouldn't have the passion or the fire of Love.

Try telling that to my ex...
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514

I love draw upon holy might, just because of the sound it makes. Feels like my cleric is tapping into the power of the gods! lol.

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is my favourite from IWD for a similar reason.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

OKay, this is a dumb answer (lol) since the spell doesn't work this way, but I like to imagine "Stone to Flesh" as making statues come to life like in the Gargoyles cartoon from the 90s

Sorry to inject some Nightmare Fuel, but in pen & paper the spell actually does turn stone into flesh, even stone that was never flesh to begin with. Makes me wonder why more flesh golems aren't super handsome/beautiful.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Can you use it to downgrade a stone golem into a flesh golem? I guess you'd have to lower their resistance first which makes it not that useful but it'd be pretty cool anyways.

In Nethack I would gather up a big pile of rocks and use it to make meatballs for my pet.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @nano
    In Pathfinder, a stone golem's magic immunity doesn't negate Stone to Flesh, Transmute Rock to Mud, or Transmute Mud to Rock. Stone to Flesh turns off the golem's spell immunity and damage reduction for one round, RtM slows it, and MtR will give it all missing hit points back.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    It's true. I always forget what I put in them too. I'd test it out, but I just know that if I cast it on myself it'll turn out to be a triple Skull Trap and if I cast it on someone else it's going to be Improved Invis + double fire shield.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    I have a perfectly rationnal love for healing spells with my clerics.

And a sadistic irrational pation for the charm/domination effect: Why kill your enemies when they can do it for you?
    And it gives me a reson to use Xan, he always memorises a few charms and dire charms, with of course emotion: hopelesnes.
    Gates and the such always freak me out, i always take one "just in case" but never use it.
    "trap spells" (delayed blast, skull trap, glyph of warding etc.) they are perfect for those fights you know you will have, even funnier when you talk your way out of the fight and send your summons or your Khalid to trigger them.
    Magical stone!!! Just kidding, it's terrible, but I did kill Shandalar with it one time (had him stuned with wand then we proceded to magic missile/larloch/stone him until he died)
    Non detection. I just love the cloak and the effect icon.
    Summon Haskeashar. Had this spell as my only level 7 in my spellbook a long time in BG2. Never got to use it because by the time I could take it I had another one, it's still has a sentimental value of something to accomplish.
    Un/Holy word/blight It is great to only target enemies with low level area of effect (talking about blight)
    Comet! It's a Comet!
  • powurzpowurz Member Posts: 28
    I have an unhealthy obsession with flame arrow, especially after Robe of Vecna (and at high levels - so many hits, so little time!). I also, despite knowing how crappy it is WITHOUT Robe of Vecna, have a huge thing for Improved Alacrity. I'll go Time Stop - Improved Alacrity - Comet Comet Comet Comet Magic Missile Magic Missile Magic Missile Magic Missile or whatever I can pull off (basically the faster you can double-tap spacebar, the better).
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Ruby Ray of Reversal.

I never use it but its my favorite spell, because that name is *awesome*

I'm sure Baeloth would agree.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    powurz said:

I have an unhealthy obsession with flame arrow, especially after Robe of Vecna (and at high levels - so many hits, so little time!). I also, despite knowing how crappy it is WITHOUT Robe of Vecna, have a huge thing for Improved Alacrity. I'll go Time Stop - Improved Alacrity - Comet Comet Comet Comet Magic Missile Magic Missile Magic Missile Magic Missile or whatever I can pull off (basically the faster you can double-tap spacebar, the better).

You can set your game up to auto pause after spell is cast, so you don't waste time pressing space... Imp.Alac&Time Stop are gamebreakingly good... But not terribly irrational.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    Hm . . . irrational love, you say? For me that would be the Emotion spell. It cracks me up to reduce my enemies to a quivering bunch of Morrissey fans, like myself in college.

Grease is amusing from time to time as well, especially if you imagine the Yakety Sax song (aka Benny Hill theme) playing.
  • RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    Color spray....looks like the mage is just spraying everyone with a liquid dose of LSD from the tip of his fingers and then they all go lie down to enjoy the view of the rainbow
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    MrTea1976 said:

I have a strange love for argannazar's scorcher. I don't know how many times I've sent mages circling the battlefield trying to catch as many enemies as possible to get 'full value' out of the spell!

Well, it's the closest thing you get to a flamethrower, which as all little boys and action movie fans know is immensely and paradoxically cool.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Probably animal summons 1 and 2. They used to be good in BG1 because you could summon so many of them, but in BGEE I still like to use them just to have a few wolves at my side. :)
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2014
    mmm
    maybe some of these are too good to count but here are mine

Command: 'oh that sword looks heavy maybe you should lie-down for a bit'

Charm:(and its variations)'what's that Tarnesh? you want to walk round the map killing Hobgoblins for me why thank you!

Emotion hopelessness: why are you even trying to fight me?

Polymorph other: 'you may have been a big dragon but now your a squirrel and i'm going to step on you'
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Imprisonment. It is a rubbish spell because you dont get loot or XP but I just love using it against random trash mobs. Should probably use it on Kangaxx next time. That should teach him. Or is he inmune?

Of course in BP2, with a sorcerer, it is a completely OP spell. No consequences as no xp or loot gain.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    Flesh to Stone, Chromatic Orb and Disintegrate. In that order, its just awesome how Irenicus does it.
  • uglyducklynnuglyducklynn Member Posts: 61
    Melf's Minute Meteors was always a favorite of mine.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Heindrich said:

Web. I love a well placed Web. Basically wins the battle right then and there. When foes get more resistances in BG 2, it still works if I Greater Mallison first.

<3
    Contingencies, sequencers.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2014
    Since this thread title states "irrational love" I think my main one would probably be Ghoul Touch. It's actually not a terribly effective spell but it's so satisfying to slap it onto the enemy. The spell effect sound is also really neat. And Color Spray is also fun due to its great visual effect. Unfortunate that it tends to cause collateral damage, though.

As for just favorite spells, though... I use pretty much any spell that disables enemy spellcasters!

In BG2 it's more of a countermove chess game, which I enjoy less, actually.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    Call Woodland Beings - since discovering it´s wonderful, absolutely fabulous power, I´m determined to play again a ranger/cleric character. Summoning 1 support caster is nice, summoning 5 is part of my strategy against dragons. I´d like to know, if any mage summons compare to nymph´s +15 spells, and suprise deathly kiss attack?